Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serena's meltdown

Options
  • 09-09-2018 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

Being an admirer of what she has done on court and proving that mothers can be excellent athletes after giving birth, a different side of Serena Williams may have been exposed in her outburst at the US Open yesterday.

But here's the deal after watching a number of reports of the incident, I am amazed by the amount of people rushing to support her. Experts in tennis validated the sanctions imposed by the umpire; yet still she publicly called him a liar and a cheat, and said that she was "here fighting for womens rights" and the umpire sanctioned her because she was a woman. She said if a man was on court, it would not have happened. So the umpire, according to Serena, was a sexist, liar, and cheat. And she said all of this on the court in front of a massive crowd and on live TV.

Speaking to the media after the event, she said it was "sexist" of the umpire to take a game away from her. "But I'm going to continue to fight for women.", she said. Some of her supporters have accused the umpire of being racist and that he was on a misogynistic power trip. Get a grip, it was a tennis game; not a human rights march.

You can go online to see her outbursts yesterday, but I find it mind boggling that so much these days is attributed to sexism/racism/whateverism when things don't go their way.

Meanwhile, Naomi Osaka, who became the first Japanese player to win a major singles final, was left in tears as a result of the incident.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

look, if anything bad happens to a black woman it's obviously because of racism and sexism. there can be no other explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some people just can't handle losing, especially if they're not used to it. Serena knew she was losing to someone who was a better player on the day and she couldn't do anything about it. What we saw there was an epic tantrum and now she's just doubling down on it.

When you're that successful and have so many people surrounding you who tell you that you're always right, it's never going to be easy to blame yourself for your own defeat, especially when you really should.

Think the other factor here was the crowd. The US Open crowd are horrible, every bit as bat as the US Ryder Cup crowds and they cheered everything Serena did on court and in the row with the umpire, so they obviously left her feeling she was in the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Sore loser who will throw out whatever card she needs. On this occasion she feels the gender one will work better than the race one. Throw in some on-demand tears and jackpot.

Despicable individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

BlackLivesMatter:- more than everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Kivaro wrote: »
    Being an admirer of what she has done on court and proving that mothers can be excellent athletes after giving birth, a different side of Serena Williams may have been exposed in her outburst at the US Open yesterday.

But here's the deal after watching a number of reports of the incident, I am amazed by the amount of people rushing to support her. Experts in tennis validated the sanctions imposed by the umpire; yet still she publicly called him a liar and a cheat, and said that she was "here fighting for womens rights" and the umpire sanctioned her because she was a woman. She said if a man was on court, it would not have happened. So the umpire, according to Serena, was a sexist, liar, and cheat. And she said all of this on the court in front of a massive crowd and on live TV.

Speaking to the media after the event, she said it was "sexist" of the umpire to take a game away from her. "But I'm going to continue to fight for women.", she said. Some of her supporters have accused the umpire of being racist and that he was on a misogynistic power trip. Get a grip, it was a tennis game; not a human rights march.

You can go online to see her outbursts yesterday, but I find it mind boggling that so much these days is attributed to sexism/racism/whateverism when things don't go their way.

Meanwhile, Naomi Osaka, who became the first Japanese player to win a major singles final, was left in tears as a result of the incident.

I didn't see it live but have seen the relevant video clips and regardless of whether it was sexist or not( I think that term gets thrown around too easy) and it seems Serena got called for actual violations. I do feel very sorry for Naomi Osaka though. Her first grand slam win and no one is talking about her it's all Serena. The one word I'd use is unsightly. It doesn't paint Serena and tennis is a great light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had missed John McEnroe until today ;)
    Seems her coach came out and said he was coaching her during the game.

Who were the crowd booing, Serena or the umpire?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who were the crowd booing, Serena or the umpire?

The umpire and then Osaka for daring to win. Horrible pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

She got a warning for receiving coaching, Patrick Moratolgu admitted he was coaching her during the game so this warning was 100% justified.

She then received a second penalty (point deduction) for smashing her racket which is against the rules and is very black and white rule so the umpire had no option to not apply the penalty for racket abuse.

She then continued to abuse the referee constantly after this, her being docked a game wasn't for one instance of abuse it was for continuous abuse for quite a decent part of the second set, if she had just had a go at him and then got on with it I doubt she would have been given a 3rd offence and thus lost a game.She also called the ref a thief which is a bit much as it is really big no no in any sport to outwardly question the integrity of an official and claim he was trying to steal something from you.

People could argue that the first warning for coaching was a little harsh but Patrick Moratoglu shouldn't have been coaching her and he admitted he was which tells you that if her coach isn't even going to defend himself/her from this penalty that it was a pretty justified call.

Lots of players have received warnings over the years but they tend to deal with them in a more mature fashion and get on with it, part of me thinks she knew she was going to lose and decided to throw a strop so it couldn't be considered a proper defeat.

Her bringing sexism into it is disgraceful but of course she won't be called out for it by anyone in mainstream media and it just shows you how difficult the world is these days when every perceived slight against a woman is seen as being sexist and loads of people (women in particular) seem to be backing her up on the sexism angle.Proper feminists must be appalled with what has happened to the feminism movement in the last decade.

Couple of her lines from last night which shows how self absorbed she is:

I have a daughter I stand for whats right.
    I never cheat , I'd rather lose than cheat (this from a woman who complained she was being drug tested too often)

It's almost the kind of dialogue that would feature in a really corny family drama.

I've never liked her and last night unfortunately she provided numerous reasons as to why I've never liked her regardless of how great a player she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I was a terrible loser at sport , and I usually like Serena , but how was umpire sexist ??
    even if he was against her , he would have been favouring another woman - think Serena needs to apologise , we are all human , and make mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

thebaz wrote: »
    I was a terrible loser at sport , and I usually like Serena , but how was umpire sexist ??
    even if he was against her , he would have been favouring another woman - think Serena needs to apologise , we are all human , and make mistakes.

I suspect It'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

An absolute disgrace tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Why is coaching during a match not ok ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

'Fighting for womens rights' is the go to defence for any woman having a hissy fit these days it seems.
    Deserves a stronger sanction than just losing a point and a game - that kind of outburst is outrageous and was an extraordinarily selfish ruining of a great moment in Osaka's career - by all accounts she fully deserved her win against the odds, and it should have been nothing but a triumphant moment for her to enjoy rather than the brattish sideshow Williams made it.
    Outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Bret Hart wrote: »

Because the rules for Grand slam tournaments for bid it. Whether they should or not is another topic, and not relevant to this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,670 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Bret Hart wrote: »

Because it is a sport for gentlemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

She's a sociopath. Pure and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I try not to get too bothered about what happens when two millionaires play a game of tennis together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's typical modern yank pig headed behaviour in my eyes. They think they're bigger than the sports and they're completely bought into the imagine that's been manufactured by PR people about them. Here you have the biggest player in the game acting as a victim and spouting crap about her daughter etc. Reaks of the type of crap lance armstrong used bang on about using his cancer as a shield against criticism.
    I'd also wager her fairytale return to tennis is drug fueled much like lances.maybe all the steroid use is giving her mood swings and tantrums like that yesterday will be common from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

I had missed John McEnroe until today ;)
    Seems her coach came out and said he was coaching her during the game.

Seems he also said , she didn't even see him trying and she bore that out as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

acting like a spoiled child does not equal sexism

hope she receives a huge fine and is forced to apologize for her disgusting behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 20,670 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

She also told the umpire that he would never umpire again when she is playing. I wonder how will that turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Why is it so hard for women to accept that not every misfortune that happens to them is the fault of men?

I don’t know much about tennis but by all accounts Osaka won fair and Williams was way out of bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

She's like lewis hamilton in F1 and any of the many black american football players.
    When they win it's great but when they lose it's because they're black
    Or god forgive, black and female.

She's had a hissy fit, you think she'd show some maturity and come out and admit as such. What sort of a crap example is this setting for her child.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not the first time

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/6181998/US-Open-2009-Serena-Williams-loses-to-Kim-Clijsters-after-point-penalty-for-foul-mouth-outburst.html

Times have changed though. She can do whatever she likes now with the likes of Twitter and Google filtering sympathetic output.

She's a true great of sport but has behaved disgracefully in the last 12 or so hour's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not fair on Naomi Osaka who won. People should be talking about her win and not the temper tantrum. An experienced and professional player like Serena Williams should and does know better.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Absolutely no class. She was getting hockeyed and somehow managed to make this about her.

To bang on about sexism is just cringey to be honest. Can’t believe anyone is buying into it. I hope she gets some sort of punishment from the WTA because she is well out of line here.

I feel sorry for Osaka because hers is a wonderful achievement. It’s a shame Serena’s ego ruined it for her.

disgraceful, especially when you consider her net worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Oh the irony.

• Advertisement

Never really had much feelings on here but it's clear as day she's a complete and utter piece of shlt.

Advertisement