Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who buy a nice bottle of whiskey but don't drink it

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

TheBully wrote: »
    What would everyone consider to be an expensive whiskey?

Expensive for me would be anything over €100. Normally I shop at around the €50-€60 mark tho and sip away. I find the quality of a good 12yo at that price point to match anything in the higher price ranges, my personal opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sometimes there is a reason not to offer a dram.

A while back I had a nice €200 bottle of whiskey, few of us were enjoying it when another lad arrived. Offered him some, he took the bottle, poured a large glass and then added cola to it :eek:

Since then, not everyone gets offered a dram.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,102 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is 60e for Macallan 12yo a good price? Or too expensive?
    Spotted it in supermarket on my travels.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

jester77 wrote: »
    Sometimes there is a reason not to offer a dram.

A while back I had a nice €200 bottle of whiskey, few of us were enjoying it when another lad arrived. Offered him some, he took the bottle, poured a large glass and then added cola to it :eek:

Since then, not everyone gets offered a dram.

You should have kicked him in the crotch, with both feet, at the same time.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Expensive for me would be anything over €100. Normally I shop at around the €50-€60 mark tho and sip away. I find the quality of a good 12yo at that price point to match anything in the higher price ranges, my personal opinion of course.

It's all relative.

If you were on the scratcher with a pile of debt.The 50-60e price point might become very expensive for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Did they reduce it (aldi)? Was 39 or 49 I thought Might give it a try if they reduced it.
    Just checked again today , and you're right; 39.99.
    Still good at that price, even better as a gift!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It really depends- I spent £280 on a case of 15 year old Glenfiddich- which I thought was pricey at the time- however, its now about EUR70 a bottle (if you can find it).

I wouldn't dream of paying over 40 quid a bottle for 15yo Glenfiddich- which is my usual tipple.

I have a few nice single malts in the cupboard- including a few late 60s/early 70s that I inherited- that are all opened- and sampled sparingly on special occasions.

Personally- I'm more interested in how a malt is aged- than its price- there are some really nice whiskys that don't cost the earth- conversely- there are some damn pricey ones- that can only be described as nausea inducing...........

There are also a few interesting experiments going on out there- such as all that non-traditional English whiskey that some people here may have encountered on tasting evenings lately- I find them a bit too woody- but very distinctive- particularly when compared to sherry cask single malt etc.

Tasting and getting a feel for what you like- and investigating how its produced- is the name of the game- more so than looking at the price tag. And when you do find one that you really like- if the price tag is too rich for your blood- investigate other producers who are aging single malts in a similar manner- and see if you can find a reasonable comparator- at a far more reasonable price- very often you can...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

limnam wrote: »
    It's all relative.

If you were on the scratcher with a pile of debt.The 50-60e price point might become very expensive for you.

100% couldn’t agree more!

Advertisement