Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who buy a nice bottle of whiskey but don't drink it

Options
  • 08-09-2018 10:53pm
    Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

What a waste. It's there to be drunk. Drink it. Share it with friends. Pour it generously. Enjoy it. It's no good sitting in a bottle if you get hit by a bus in the morning.

Comments

Balanadan wrote: »
    What a waste. It's there to be drunk. Drink it. Share it with friends. Pour it generously. Enjoy it. It's no good sitting in a bottle if you get hit by a bus in the morning.

Maybe they are investing in it.

Sounds like someone didn't get offered a tipple of something.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Investing my arse. Come round to try some single barrel or small batch mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,648 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have two bottles of XO Brandy, Courvoisier and Hennessy, which I won years ago in newspaper crossword competitions. Just never got round to drinking them. A few years ago I helped polish off a bottle of Blue Label a relation brought from duty free, not knowing how high end it was at the time. Very easy to drink.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/1698/courvoisier-xo-cognac

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/johnnie%20walker%20black%20label

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Really breaking out the good stuff there.

Really breaking out the good stuff there.

Pretty broad terms there mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

I agree. Have a free evening and having a few glasses of Black Bush here myself. Going down sweeter than a Honey bee's arse cheeks.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Investing it for what? To sell it to someone else who won't drink it? Mad carry on. Whiskey is for drinking. It has no other purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,648 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Here's a little saying. Read the two lines and then say them without looking at the screen. Both sentences end with the word Well. Some people find it hard to do.

WHISKEY MAKES YOU SICK WHEN YOU'RE WELL.

WHISKEY WHEN YOU'RE SICK MAKES YOU WELL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When I get a nice bottle I like to enjoy a dram of it now and then, I certainly wouldn't be guzzling it down. Expensive stuff is for enjoying, the cheap stuff is for getting drunk on.

Investing it for what? To sell it to someone else who won't drink it? Mad carry on. Whiskey is for drinking. It has no other purpose.

Exactly mate. I'd rather have enjoyed a good whiskey with friends than have it sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

each to their own tho, if you want nice whiskey get your own

giphy.gif

Or wait ten years when the small batch I didnt drink is worth 5k, and your empty bottle of the same small batch is worth about 10c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Allinall

Whisky snobs.
    Suppose it makes a change from wine snobs... steak snobs... craft beer snobs ...

I hate snobs

For his 80th I bought my father a bottle of wine that was bottled the year he was born. He suggested opening it and I said no. Open it and it might taste delicious, or it tastes awful and most of it gets poured down the sink. Either way what are you left with? A glass bottle that used to contain wine that was bottled 80 years ago. Thats not as special.

Or wait ten years when the small batch I didnt drink is worth 5k, and your empty bottle of the same small batch is worth about 10c.

Who gives a **** if it's worth €5k or €50k. The memories of sharing and having a great time with friends is priceless.

Who gives a **** if it's worth €5k or €50k. The memories of sharing and having a great time with friends is priceless.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Allinall wrote: »
    Whisky snobs.
    Suppose it makes a change from wine snobs... steak snobs... craft beer snobs ...

I hate snobs

There's nothing snobby about appreciating good quality stuff. Snobbery only arises when folk look down their nose at people who don't share the same interests.

kylith wrote: »
    When I get a nice bottle I like to enjoy a dram of it now and then, I certainly wouldn't be guzzling it down. Expensive stuff is for enjoying, the cheap stuff is for getting drunk on.

I bought a nice bottle for an acquaintance recently. I didn't expect him to open it, but he opened it there and then, poured between three of us, and we sipped it and enjoyed it. One glass each, a generous pour, and half the bottle was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've probably 20 bottles of it stored, various gifts and purchases, none of them massive rare stuff, I might drink 3 bottles a year, nice stuff to have in the house when you get the snow.

• Advertisement

For his 80th I bought my father a bottle of wine that was bottled the year he was born. He suggested opening it and I said no. Open it and it might taste delicious, or it tastes awful and most of it gets poured down the sink. Either way what are you left with? A glass bottle that used to contain wine that was bottled 80 years ago. Thats not as special.

If ye don't drink it then you might as well have bought him a paperweight.

I've probably 20 bottles of it stored, various gifts and purchases, none of them massive rare stuff, I might drink 3 bottles a year, nice stuff to have in the house when you get the snow.

Nice A.D., what sort of tack you got up in that stash?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

buried wrote: »
    Nice A.D., what sort of tack you got up in that stash?

Pretty much mainstream stuff, JD, Jameson, Paddy, Redbreast and Grants. I've not tried Redbreast ever, I suppose that's the premium stuff of the lot to try, no idea whether to mix it with something or straight, fond of the Jameson with ice straight :D

It's not going to get any better sitting in the bottle.

A paperweight made the year he was born?!?

Do you not understand the concept of something being special? Or do you have to drink everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Well I was given a bottle of Midleton very rare as a gift last year. I plan on finally opening it tomorrow evening, someone tell me what to do to get full enjoyment from it. Glass type, ice etc?

Pretty much mainstream stuff, JD, Jameson, Paddy, Redbreast and Grants. I've not tried Redbreast ever, I suppose that's the premium stuff of the lot to try, no idea whether to mix it with something or straight, fond of the Jameson with ice straight :D

Nice. I'd like the Jameson with ice myself but this stuff I'm having tonight is great tack, 'Black Bush', no mixer, no ice. Grand for sipping, no harsh bite, smooth AF. I never tried it before tonight but everyone knows it. Real good stuff.

buried wrote: »
    Nice. I'd like the Jameson with ice myself but this stuff I'm having tonight is great tack, 'Black Bush', no mixer, no ice. Grand for sipping, no harsh bite, smooth AF. I never tried it before tonight but everyone knows it. Real good stuff.

Black Bush is very nice, very well priced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

someone tell me what to do to get full enjoyment from it. Glass type, ice etc?

Generally by not worrying about things like glass type

• Advertisement

Well I was given a bottle of Midleton very rare as a gift last year. I plan on finally opening it tomorrow evening, someone tell me what to do to get full enjoyment from it. Glass type, ice etc?

Try one or two straight without ice from the start. Never had it but if it is very rare it should be very good, dilute it down with ice then if you want but I'd say there be no need

Advertisement