Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who buy a nice bottle of whiskey but don't drink it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Uriel. wrote: »
    Think I've sometbing like 7 or 8 grands worth of whiskey at home now. Been building a nice collection for the last 6 or 8 years. Think my most expensive one is about a grand. It's mostly Irish but some Scotch too. I absolutely love whiskey and I'll drink most of my collection some day in the distant future.

I have a healthy 20 or so bottles in a separate "everyday collection", which has everything from Jim beam to Middleton rare.

Id have a glass or two of whiskey almost every second night.

My favourite at the moment is Powers John's Lane

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0911/993134-world-record-price-for-a-bottle-of-teeling-whiskey/

Apparently a world record has been made at auction for for a bottle of Teeling Whiskey
    The first bottle of Teeling Whiskey Celebratory Single Pot Still has secured a world record price of £10,000 in an online auction, making it the most expensive bottle of whiskey ever sold at auction for a new distillery. 

You didn't have one of those by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I wonder. I remember back in the day the most adventurous thing I drank was corona so I'm very open to expanding my palate :p How do you take your vodka? Someone I knew drank that stuff by the gallon. It was always vodka whenever we were out or in.

I like it with ice and an equal measure or slightly more of cranberry juice, all depends on the brand.

Always like a sip neat to taste a new one. Some are worse than poitín and others are really smooth.

I might as well be pouring whiskey out the top window when it comes to tasting a difference but I think I'd know a good vodka by taste.

There's a 50cl bottle with a blue label in either Aldi or Lidl that is nice and smooth if you want check if it suits you. I find there is little or no hangover from vodka myself but then again I wouldn't be lashing it back, (usually).

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I like it with ice and an equal measure or slightly more of cranberry juice, all depends on the brand.

Always like a sip neat to taste a new one. Some are worse than poitín and others are really smooth.

I might as well be pouring whiskey out the top window when it comes to tasting a difference but I think I'd know a good vodka by taste.

There's a 50cl bottle with a blue label in either Aldi or Lidl that is nice and smooth if you want check if it suits you. I find there is little or no hangover from vodka myself but then again I wouldn't be lashing it back, (usually).

When you say smooth do you mean it doesn't have that horrible burn that makes you cough and splutter?

When you say smooth do you mean it doesn't have that horrible burn that makes you cough and splutter?

Exactly.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Exactly.

That has been my brief experience with both whiskey and Vodka. It's no sooner down and it wants to come straight back up again. I would liken the experience to drinking shots of Tequila or Jager. Going by this thread it seems that it doesn't have to be so awful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I might have a few bottles of that clear whiskey from different years in the 1990's. I venture to say they could be rarer than some of the stuff mentioned on the thread.

I might have a few bottles of that clear whiskey from different years in the 1990's. I venture to say they could be rarer than some of the stuff mentioned on the thread.

Keep it for the hounds or in case you know anyone with sore joints and rub it in well would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hot whiskey is the way to go for those who can't drink it normally. I don't think it is as popular in pubs now as it was in the past.

Balanadan wrote: »
    What a waste. It's there to be drunk. Drink it. Share it with friends. Pour it generously. Enjoy it. It's no good sitting in a bottle if you get hit by a bus in the morning.

I hope the person that just paid £56,100 for a single bottle read your advice and takes heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Whiskey has been taken over in recent years by the clever marketing people. When you go through the airport now there is a bewildering array of whiskey on offer. This cask, that still, copper pipes, clay ovens, side of this mountain, arse hole of that glen, peat matured, home schooled barley, Irish speaking barrels, hand reared malt.......

It's all 100% horse****.

I drink as much whiskey as the next person and enjoy it as much as anyone. In my view if it costs more than €25 or so for 70cl someone is having a laugh.

£56,000 for a bottle??? One bottle of whiskey that tastes better and/or provides as much enjoyment as 2,000 bottle of perfectly respectable whiskey? I don't think so.

Don't be such fools for the marketers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I have a bottle of the first release of dingle whiskey in a numbered presentation box. That's a once in a lifetime thing and can never happen again. I wouldn't open it.

Would you sell it?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I tried the new Lambay Island whisky small batch recently. Lovely and smooth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gozunda wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0911/993134-world-record-price-for-a-bottle-of-teeling-whiskey/

Apparently a world record has been made at auction for for a bottle of Teeling Whiskey

You didn't have one of those by any chance?

I've tried some of this at a tasting- and honestly- I really hated it- I found it far too sweet. My own favourite for 'everyday use' is 15 year old Glenfiddich- after that- rather than looking at particular brands or vintages- I think its better to look at the various maturation techniques- e.g. a sherry cask finish- versus some of that appalling English oak whiskey- is very easy to compare and contrast- whereas- some of the experimental stuff can be very hit and miss.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Would you sell it?

Yes I would, but not for a few years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Who gives a **** if it's worth €5k or €50k. The memories of sharing and having a great time with friends is priceless.

I'm 44 now, I have a decent collection of good nights locked away in my memory but the best ones probably never made it in there in the first place unfortunately, I'm awful prone to drinkers amnesia. That is in fact why I gave up on spirits altogether, I just can't seem to manage this sipping lark that's all the rage these days. If it goes in a glass in front of me, I drink it like it's a pint! When it is a pint, i'll remember the night.

Anyway I digress, my point is I can honestly say - there is not a single memory I wouldn't gladly swap for 50K in cold hard. Not one. (I'm not the sentimental type:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

I find up 15 year redbreast to be the sweet spot, tastier than the 12yr old, but I don't think 21yr old worth it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Sorry for delay with the photos but here they are.

Hedonism Wine shop is located in London, Mayfar. Worth to visit when in neighborhood.

https://hedonism.co.uk/

Anyway check those prices :)

KpHk08w.jpgoWHWeJW.jpgroNToi4.jpgwia6Uqv.jpgpCYaho9.jpgCrwwRID.jpg

And Highlights

rfeHfbA.jpgIb2z7cP.jpg

I think this is why some people buying whisky/whiskey and not drinking it.

As a bonus. Check out this empty Macallan bottle ebay auction :)

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Macallan-1950-52-year-old-whisky-bottle/292716100320?hash=item44273d3ae0:g:g24AAOSwWo5bkoAL

Current bid 460 Euro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Greg81 wrote: »

Didn't some guy go around buying up old wine bottles... then refilling them with contemporary wine and selling for tens of thousands?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Kurniawan

He may not have been caught if he had stuck to old bottles, except he started counterfeiting old bottles 7 labels.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Sorry for delay with the photos but here they are.

Hedonism Wine shop is located in London, Mayfar. Worth to visit when in neighborhood.

https://hedonism.co.uk/

Anyway check those prices :)

KpHk08w.jpgoWHWeJW.jpgroNToi4.jpgwia6Uqv.jpgpCYaho9.jpgCrwwRID.jpg

And Highlights

rfeHfbA.jpgIb2z7cP.jpg

I think this is why some people buying whisky/whiskey and not drinking it.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Macallan-1950-52-year-old-whisky-bottle/292716100320?hash=item44273d3ae0:g:g24AAOSwWo5bkoAL

Cheers for that Greg, I get a great kick out of seeing the likes of these!

I'm surprised that they are kept in such bright conditions as I vaguely remember reading that light wasn't good for preservation but that could have been direct sunlight too.

I understand why people are horrified at the prices's but at the end of the day collecting whiskey is a hobby and if you can afford it why not.

If they are never opened they are an investment and at least you have the option of opening it and enjoying it for the reason it was made unlike the people who pay millions for stamps that they can never use to post a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Inverted whiskey snob here,
    currently enjoying Aldi Tipperary Watershed @ 30 Euro .
    A snifter from a 100k bottle would stick in my craw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Did they reduce it (aldi)? Was 39 or 49 I thought Might give it a try if they reduced it.

Those are bottles by Lalique, a glassmaker who's works are highly collectible and sought after in themselves. Lalique perfume bottles are particularly sought after, and fetch more than those bottles - also empty. They fetch prices that would leave vintage Waterford in the dust.

So I guess there are two forces at work in the prices fetched there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Did they reduce it (aldi)? Was 39 or 49 I thought Might give it a try if they reduced it.
    29.99 in Kenmare today

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

A small section of my cupboard.
    Don’t know what the issue is, I still drink whiskey. If people want to collect a few bottles let them collect.
    I have plenty of open bottles too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What a waste. It's there to be drunk. Drink it. Share it with friends. Pour it generously. Enjoy it. It's no good sitting in a bottle if you get hit by a bus in the morning.

We didn't drink enough of it when it was cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Once a bottle is open I can't ignore it. I wish I could have a quiet glass of something expensive every once in a while but once it's in the cupboard it'll be gone within a reasonable period of time regardless of cost although I don't splurge on anything crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

What would everyone consider to be an expensive whiskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

TheBully wrote: »

One I can't afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

One I liked too much ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

In Australia the cheapish stuff is around $35 a bottle. Jamesons is $43 for comparison and I mix that with coke.

For me a price point of around $60-$70 is where you start getting a reasonable drink but it's also the price point where it's diminishing returns in many respects. I bought a mate a bottle of Glenfiddich (sp?) for $150 for a 40th birthday and after that we're into the realms of the rich really as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to think I could buy a bottle around the $300 mark and take the odd drop once a month and savour it and all that but I'd have it gone in no time and then I'd feel like I wasted my money.

Advertisement