Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who buy a nice bottle of whiskey but don't drink it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Balanadan wrote: »
    Black Bush is very nice, very well priced too.

Yeah, I can't get over the smoothness of it for the actual price. Great warm buzz, can't understand how I never tried it before.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 81,303 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Black Bush is very nice, very well priced too.

Yes like this myself but never really spotted it on sale in your normal supermarket type place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Allinall wrote: »
    Whisky snobs.
    Suppose it makes a change from wine snobs... steak snobs... craft beer snobs ...

I hate snobs

Worst ~ The sudden appearance of Gin cunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Pretty broad terms there mate.

He's not your mate, guy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ive fairly recently discovered that I like Jameson straight with ice on occasion. Definitely don't like scotch or at least not any that I've tried. Anyone got any suggestions of what else I might like? I'd like to have a selection of a few "nice" bottles, seems like there are some knowledgeable types in here who might be able to help!

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Ive fairly recently discovered that I like Jameson straight with ice.

Have you ever experienced the sudden urge to murder someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Have two bottles of Middleton rare in caskets stored for a special day. Alternatively They'll be worth a fortune in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Have you ever experienced the sudden urge to murder someone?

Sorry, I'm a whisky novice who likes a cold drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

My favorites in order of budget:

Bushmills, Blackbush, Writers Tears, Red Breast

Haven't had much premium whiskey

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Worst ~ The sudden appearance of Gin cunts.

The worst are the ones who look down on other's choice of tonic!

• Advertisement

The worst are the ones who look down on other's choice of tonic!

Tonics are something my granny took when she had consumption.

buried wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't get over the smoothness of it for the actual price. Great warm buzz, can't understand how I never tried it before.

If you like Black Bush, decent bourbon might be a good shout too. I'd normally go for bourbon or JD myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I bought a bottle of glenfiddic when our first baby was born and intend to open it on her 18 birthday and share with her. Personally I like nothing more than a drop of black bush in coffee during the lambing for late nights to keep the cold out.

I bought a bottle of glenfiddic when our first baby was born and intend to open it on her 18 birthday and share with her. Personally I like nothing more than a drop of black bush in coffee during the lambing for late nights to keep the cold out.

How old was the Glenfiddich? The 15 year old is one of my all round favorites.

mrcheez wrote: »
    He's not your mate, guy

Calm down mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Second the Glenfiddich....have a few different age bottles and think it's a really nice choice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Here's a little saying. Read the two lines and then say them without looking at the screen. Both sentences end with the word Well. Some people find it hard to do.

WHISKEY MAKES YOU SICK WHEN YOU'RE WELL.

WHISKEY WHEN YOU'RE SICK MAKES YOU WELL.

There should be no "E" in the one that makes you sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I opened a bottle of Canadian Club 12yo I got as a gift last night and have to say it’s increadibly smooth and mellow, real easy to sip away on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Have two bottles of Middleton rare in caskets stored for a special day. Alternatively They'll be worth a fortune in 20 years.

Unfortunately not. It might eventually get to €300/€400 but no fortune to be made and considering it's in thousands of supermarkets and off licenses, it's certainly not rare.

It's been the default birthday present for me for years, I keep them all, but the bottles suffer severe seepage on a regular basis :)

Personally, I prefer my collection of empty bottles.

Many people will keep a few bottles in the house for special occasions or visitors. I dont, and the reason is I would be too tempted to have a few glasses to wind down every night. I'll stick to the wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I have a bottle of the first release of dingle whiskey in a numbered presentation box. That's a once in a lifetime thing and can never happen again. I wouldn't open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I was once gifted an incredibly expensive and rare whiskey on the day my first born came into this world. So I only have one glass of it on his Bday. Should last me a long while id say.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Just going to chime in a bit because there's a few people here who seem to want to know a bit more about whiskey or are interested in trying some new ones. I'm no expert, but I do spend a lot of time reading about it and tasting it for my job.

Irish whiskey is currently the fastest growing spirits sector in the world. There's currently planning permission for over 30 new distilleries in the country. And you know all those new Irish gins and vodkas on the market? They're usually the first products a new distillery will bring out because Irish whiskey has to be aged for three years and one day before it can be called whiskey.

Middleton has been bringing out great stuff in recent years, besides the usual Very Rare (which isn't that rare but fecthes a hefty price if you have a collection), their Method and Madness and Barry Crockett editions are great. The M&M series can be a bit pricey and hard to come by, but it gives a good insight into the terroir and type of wood used for aging and how that can affect the spirit.

Teeling have some great offerings, and their entry level Single Grain, Single Malt and Small Batch are all great and well priced. This year they're releasing their first whiskies distilled in the Liberties. Previously they were using their family reserve that they kept when their father sold Cooley Distillery to Beam-Suntory. They also have some fantastic rare editions but they're expensive and hard to come by.

Glendalough have a great terroir series too where they focus on grain from single farms and casks with wood from specific forests in Irish to enhance/change the flavour.

Everything from West Cork is great too, and can be very versatile in cocktails.

Tullamore Dew also have a great Cider Cask aged whiskey out now with some amazing apple brandy type notes.

With regards to how to drink it, it's entirely up to you. You should have a larger rocks-style glass or a Glencairn whisky glass as these allow the spirit to breathe. Don't use a small shot glass. Try it neat first. Adding a tiny drop of water can open the flavour profile, but if you're adamant that you like it cold, drop in a cube of ice and quickly take it out again. This stops the drink from getting too dilluted. After that, if you really want it over ice, God help you, but it is your drink.

Regarding cocktails, it's perfectly fine to use a good whiskey, as long as the other ingredients enhance the spirit. So don't use an 18 year old single malt in a whiskey sour, but do use it in a cocktail recipe you found from somewhere like The Dead Rabbit.

Hope that helps some people, and I don't mean to sound like a twat.

And regarding the 80 year old bottle of wine, etc. A craftsman or woman at some point put a lot of effort into making a product they were proud of. They probably aged it for a period of time and signed their name to it. So yes, you should feckin' drink it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

kylith wrote: »
    When I get a nice bottle I like to enjoy a dram of it now and then, I certainly wouldn't be guzzling it down. Expensive stuff is for enjoying, the cheap stuff is for getting drunk on.

It's all for the enjoying. A mistake many people make with whiskey is thinking that entry level whiskies aren't any good and so just use them for mixing, shots etc. Regular Jameson, Black Bush, Kilbeggan and even Jack Daniels are all great whiskies for around 25 a bottle, and people rarely drink them to appreciate them. Jack Daniels is surprisingly complex given the association of it as a slug from the bottle kind of whiskey.

That said, I find Jim Beam absolutely revolting, and generally wouldn't be too interested in the cheaper Scottish blends such as bells etc. White & Mackay do fine whiskies at all price points!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How old was the Glenfiddich? The 15 year old is one of my all round favorites.

Is that the Solera cask? Great whisky!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I have the opposite problem, for my 30th i told people i was starting a whisky collection.as a result i got a lot of whisky gifts.got a decanter and 6 crystal glasses.got about 5/6 bottles of whisky.fast forward 8 months and the whisky is gone.drank.even the nice stuff.midleton very rare was so smooth.i just wish i could build up a large collection a tip away on a few bottles over a longer period. Also must say west cork whisky is really good given the price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I decided I wanted to have a drink at home now and again and did some research into whiskey and how it should be drunk.
    I was surprised that its normally recommended with some water as the first sip neat can burn the tongue and then numb the taste for the rest of the it.
    Got myself a nice 15 year old Glennfiddich single malt. Couldn't drink it though.
    Ended up giving it to my old fella along with a bottle of gin also.
    Think I'll stick to my baileys on the rocks and the six pack of corona.
    Or maybe try again in a few years.
    I loved Jack Daniels when I was younger and could easily polish a bottle off. Also loved Black and white scotch. Hated the Irish whiskeys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

What a waste. It's there to be drunk. Drink it. Share it with friends. Pour it generously. Enjoy it. It's no good sitting in a bottle if you get hit by a bus in the morning.

My in laws got a bottle of whiskey one time and gave it to me, pure paint stripper it was, still drank it though. If the fookers had good whiskey they wouldn't even offer you a glass of it. Too mane to throw it down the sink just pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Blazer wrote: »
    I decided I wanted to have a drink at home now and again and did some research into whiskey and how it should be drunk.
    I was surprised that its normally recommended with some water as the first sip neat can burn the tongue and then numb the taste for the rest of the it.
    Got myself a nice 15 year old Glennfiddich single malt. Couldn't drink it though.
    Ended up giving it to my old fella along with a bottle of gin also.
    Think I'll stick to my baileys on the rocks and the six pack of corona.
    Or maybe try again in a few years.
    I loved Jack Daniels when I was younger and could easily polish a bottle off. Also loved Black and white scotch. Hated the Irish whiskeys though.

It's fair enough.i hate people who pretend to like whisky just to seem sophisticated.it's a fairly acquired taste.i only like a small proportion myself.but if you keep trying random ones you'll no doubt find a few that taste good to you.worst thing for me is that it was the real expensive ones i liked the most.the midleton rare was so smooth i didn't wince!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I have a bottle of the first release of dingle whiskey in a numbered presentation box. That's a once in a lifetime thing and can never happen again. I wouldn't open it.

Get it down yer. It’ll put s on your chest

Superman-getting-drunk-GIF.gif?resize=500%2C333

Advertisement