Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film scenes that always make you cry

Options
124»

Comments

So many. Some were already mentioned. Emma Thompson in Love Actually when the penny drops. To this day I can't listen to Both Sides Now without wanting to cry.
    Meryl Streep in the rain battling with herself. I know what I have done.
    The last scene in Forest Gump when he's at Jenny's graveside.
    Every single scene in Brokeback Mountain. Especially when Jack tells Ennis "the truth is sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it". Jesus even just typing that quote and I feel a weight in my chest.

There's definitely more but those ones really get to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Two scenes from My Left Foot:

The young Christy telling his mother, through grunting that he wants to light a candle for the souls in Purgatory, and she praises him for it.

Also with the young Christy: When he writes the word mother on the floor with a piece of chalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

So many. Some were already mentioned. Emma Thompson in Love Actually when the penny drops. To this day I can't listen to Both Sides Now without wanting to cry.
    Meryl Streep in the rain battling with herself. I know what I have done.
    The last scene in Forest Gump when he's at Jenny's graveside.
    Every single scene in Brokeback Mountain. Especially when Jack tells Ennis "the truth is sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it". Jesus even just typing that quote and I feel a weight in my chest.

There's definitely more but those ones really get to me.

Thank you for reminding me of Brokeback Mountain, I haven't seen it in years, have to watch it over the weekend.

From the end of the Wizard of Oz, when Dorothy says to Scarecrow as she's saying goodbye to her friends, "I think I'll miss you most of all. "

The Song of Bernadette, Baby Adolard Bouhouhorts immersed in the newly discovered spring, and immediately cured.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fried Green Tomatoes:

1. When Ruth dies;
    2. When Buddy dies;
    3. When Smokey is trying to stop Ruth's husband from kidnapping the baby;
    and
    4. When Evelyn goes to collect Ninny and sees the nurse ripping the roses off the wall, and she thinks Ninny has just died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

This. Heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

In The Name Of The Father. Giuseppe Conlon dies in prison, and the Sinead O'Connor song is overwhelmingly powerful.

In The Name Of The Father. Giuseppe Conlon dies in prison, and the Sinead O'Connor song is overwhelmingly powerful.

They Killed Giuseppe, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Damien360

A.I. The scene right at the end as the kid brings his mother back for one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

The ending of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest always does me in. On the documentary Completely Cuckoo, screenwriter Bo Goldman describes the meaning of the scene beautifully, and tears up himself. "You're Coming with me.....Let's go". Unforgettable stuff.

Sling Blade- "You will be happy"

The Deer Hunter- "God Bless America"

Once Upon A Time in America- "Noodles....I slipped"

Rocky- when Mick visits Rocky's apartment to ask to be his manager after he hears of his shot at Creed. Burgess Meredith just plays this beautifully, seeing it also as his last shot to make good by imparting his years of knowledge and experience, but to someone who wants nothing to do with him. But who is still too proud to beg. The pain and desperation Meredith and Stallone bring to this always makes this scene an emotional watch. That wide shot outside his apartment afterwards while Bill Conti's music plays is a doozy. Honourable mentions also to Micks death scene in 3, and his motivational speech in part 5- "Get up, you son of a bitch, cos Mickey loves ya!" :)

Truly Madly Deeply- a beautiful, emotional film from start to finish.

Hachiko: A Dog's Tale- "You're still waiting...." I don't think anybody has ever made it through this one with their eyes still dry! :D

Stand By Me- River Phoenix breaking down over the treachery and pettiness of an adult in authority. Everybody can relate to being let down by someone you have trust in, especially painful as a child. "I just wish that I could go some place where nobody knows me..."

The ending of Planes, Trains and Automobiles always hits right in the feels as well- "I haven't been home in years..." John Candy had such gravitas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

When Captain Phillips breaks down at the end of his ordeal. The way the staff treats him too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Might have been said but Ratso Rizzo dying on the bus in Midnight cowboy is stunning and heartbreaking in a film that is already brilliantly acted by hoffman & Voight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Pretty much most of The Elephant Man. Jesus I wasn't right for a week the first time I saw that. When he wants to sleep laying down...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

When The Last Sword is Drawn, when the guy has to say goodbye to his kids on the bridge, I don't even have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,982 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There haven't really been any films where I've cried. But, if there's one film that brings me close, and I know it's been mentioned a couple times on the thread already, it's 'The Elephant Man'. Remember watching it on BBC2 many years ago with the folks and there wasn't a peep out of us for the entire film.

There are a number of scenes in the picture that have me on the verge, especially where Treves first sees John Merrick and cries himself. The sheer cruelty of nature enhanced by the cruelty of human beings.

Advertisement