Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film scenes that always make you cry

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If you want an idea, you can watch the opening scene here then hate me forever
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_lMZtLWJOs

NNNNNNNOOOOOOooooooOOOOOO thank you. Not EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Ellie and Carl in UP.
    Nailed it!
    Incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

The scene in "The Abyss" where Bud is desperately trying to resuscitate his wife.

And later when she's on the radio as he's going down the Abyss.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Most of "Frankie and Johnny".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Last 10 minutes of Veronica Guerin.

Also .....The toy story furnace scene. It's a ****ing cartoon and still seeing them reaching to hold hands is making me well up just thinking of it !

• Advertisement

The last few scenes from "Far from Heaven".

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Inside Out - Bing Bong... was so not prepared for that. Always gets me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPQRHemfk9E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The end of Point Break when Utah, knowing this is the only chance he will ever have to tell Bodhi that he loves him and wants to spend the rest of life with him, bottles it, and instead allows his one true love to die. In ****ty Australia. It is horrific.

The most dire and miserable ending to any movie ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm bawling here after watching that!

can't bring myself to click on the video and still am weeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Nooooo, no we shall not. We shall never talk, think or speak of that one ever again

I read this in the voice of smeagol from LOTR :D

No, Watership Down is a great film but so sad for the whole film!

Can't remember what film it was but when I was a toddler there was a film my family were watching and it had them all crying and my mother told me that I kept asking them why they all had "drink" in their eyes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

The only movie that makes me cry is The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. Not because anything in it makes me sad, but because it's a visual and aural masterpiece. It elicits a response of pure joy to the point where I think that no other movie could be better than this, and I'm thankful for Leone, Morricone, Eastwood, Wallach, Van Cleef and everyone else involved for creating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Can't believe nobody has mention the saddest scene in any movie:
    From the Iron Giant:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭setanta1000

Saving Private Ryan when old Ryan says to his wife "Tell me I've led a good life........Tell me I'm a good man".

As a husband and father that kills me completely........and my family say I never cry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Saving Private Ryan when old Ryan says to his wife "Tell me I've led a good life........Tell me I'm a good man".

earn-it.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Castaway. Wilsonnnnnnn!

Neverending Story - when Atreyu lost Artax in the Swamp of Sadness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Ending of Paranorman. In no way did I suspect a film about a kid who can see Ghosts and Ghouls could absolutely kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

+1 to the end of the Iron Giant. Always puts a lump in my throat if nothing else.

The Land Before Time always gets me. Not helped now in knowing that one of the child actors was murdered by her dad before the film came out. :(

Bing Bong's exit in Inside Out, I've only seen it twice but it made me awkwardly exhale loudly in a room of family as I tried to smother my emotions. Haha.

The That'll do bit of Babe aways tugs at my heartstrings as the pig looks up at the farmer.

There's a lot of animation/kids movies that gets me from these examples. I need to think of more live action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

This version of Charlottes Web when Charlotte dies..

Pretty much the whole of "Rabbit Proof Fence".

Hmmm. I hadn't realised there were that many films that made me cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

New Home wrote: »
    I keep thinking of more. I know, I'm pathetic.

The Yearling :(:(:(

Old Yeller :(:(:(

and also

Les Misérables (more so the live musicals than the film, but the film was bawl-worthy, too)[/QUOTE

New Home
    why did you even have to mention Old Yeller :mad: tears welling up here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The last scene of the Elephant Man. Makes me blubber like a baby.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Didn't make me cry but very sad at end of the film "the crow

The scene at end where camera stays on Brandon Lee that bit longer .

For people that don't know Brandon died making film .

The iconic scene where T Bird is tied up in the car full of explosives gets much praise for the outstanding acting David Patrick Kelly put into it. This scene was actually filmed after Brandon Lee's death and the moment Kelly's voice cracks slightly while reciting the poem (at 1.10 in the vid) is a brief moment of genuine upset at the loss of his colleague. The scene is filmed with Chad Stahelski (Brandon Lee's stunt double) and the two close ups of Eric's face are borrowed footage from other scenes in the movie, Eric also has no dialogue in this scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was going to say that it was made by the same people who made Watership Down. It was like they thought Watership Down was too upbeat so decided to fix that with Plague Dogs. The opening scene involves them letting a dog drown in a lab and resuscitating him
    If you want an idea, you can watch the opening scene here then hate me forever
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_lMZtLWJOs

With films like this and Watership Down and tv series like Animals of Farthing Wood growing up, you have to wonder how we're not all really messed up. :)

You’re not messed up because of films like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

When di caprio dies at the end of Blood Diamond, the story and that scene is fantastic. The music, the views, the plane flying away. Very sad though and I jerked out a few tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Delighted to see Warrior in the thread. The movie is all sorts of excellence, that last few minutes of the fight, the
    tap
    , Nolte in the background watching on, The National ... just brilliant.

Bing Bong in Inside Out caught me completely off guard too, fair enough I was hungover in the cinema, but I've only seen the movie once and I still can't remember what happened in the few minutes after that.

The dog in I Am Legend was really well handled too, it's often overplayed, the whole "kill the dog" looking at you The Babadook. But man that was a tough watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Gets me every single time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Can't believe nobody has mention the saddest scene in any movie:
    From the Iron Giant:
    :(

I'm 38, saw The Iron Giant when it first came out and have watched it so many times since and that scene is still a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Muppet Family Christmas. I must have watched this 1,000 times. It's tradition in my house, even my 80 year old dad loves it.

When they sing a medley of Christmas songs at the end, it's so heart-warming that I always shed a tear. 6:00 onwards especially gets me; and when the songs segues into Old Friends, New Friends that tips me over the edge.

Then bloody Jim Henson has a cameo at the end washing dishes with Sprocket the dog, and I'm crying again because we lost this genius guy so young! I don't like anything the Muppets did after Henson's death; it was never the same, so this for me was a farewell to Jim.

• Advertisement

Ending of Interstellar where Cooper visits his daughter on her deathbed. The soundtrack alone would bring a tear to your eye.

Advertisement