Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film scenes that always make you cry

Options
  • 05-09-2018 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this today so here are some of mine:

1) UP - Carl and Ellie's relationship through the years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2bk_9T482g
    2) Groundhog Day - the ice sculpture scene at the end, where he says "I know your face so well, I could have done it with my eyes closed". He doesn't say it in a sappy way, it just sounds truthful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNn6J56J5HE&t=87s
    3) Shawshank Redemption - the aerial view of Andy and Red hugging on the beach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRBl0GPBm4o
    4) Spinal Tap - near the end, backstage before Nigel rejoins the band and after exchanging longing looks with David, Nigel says "David, do a good show, owright?" Gets me every time :ohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuwgeooPb4M

5) The Lives of Others - in the final scene, when he reads the dedication in the book, and says to the shop assistant who asks if he wants the book wrapped "no, it's for me" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxvdRQ77pG8
    6) Babe - too many scenes to mention!
    7) Creed - before the final round, Adonis confessing his whole reason for fighting is to prove he is not a mistake. Then Rocky gives his pep talk. Brilliantly acted scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvOq4hFIRJg

That's all I can think of right now. I'm curious to hear other peoples.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I've been thinking about this today so here are some of mine:

1) UP - Carl and Ellie's relationship through the years
    2) Groundhog Day - the ice sculpture scene at the end, where he says "I know your face so well, I could have done it with my eyes closed". He doesn't say it in a sappy way, it just sounds truthful.
    3) Shawshank Redemption - the aerial view of Andy and Red hugging on the beach.
    4) Spinal Tap - near the end, backstage before Nigel rejoins the band and after exchanging longing looks with David, Nigel says "David, do a good show, owright?" Gets me every time :o

5) The Lives of Others - in the final scene, when he reads the dedication in the book, and says to the shop assistant who asks if he wants the book wrapped "no, it's for me".
    6) Babe - too many scenes to mention!
    7) Creed - before the final round, Adonis confessing his whole reason for fighting is to prove he is not a mistake. Then Rocky gives his pep talk. Brilliantly acted scene.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm curious to hear other peoples.

The scene at the end of Mr Holland's Opus always gets me. Same for the end of Its a Wonderful Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

My wedding video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Only ever happened once when I was about 12 years old. When Richie Vallens died in the crash in la bomba

When I was 6 or 7 or something very young, ET came out. Our neighbors got a bootleg on video, I watched it in their house.
    Walked out.
    Went straight home, into my bedroom on my own & bawled my eyes out!
    Still can't watch ET without crying............

• Registered Users Posts: 35,747 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

• Registered Users Posts: 35,747 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

The end of The Truman Show

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D3luka

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Killing Fields final scene...

Such simple but powerful emotion with John Lennon's Imagine playing through.

"Nothing to forgive"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

This scene from The Champ

Drew Barrymore at the end of ET

A large portion of the end of The Wind That Shakes The Barley

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"To feel the tingle in your arm as you connect with the ball...that's my wish, Ray Kinsella. Is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true? I don't know."

The end of Field of Dreams always get's me.

Moonlight Graham saves the daughter from choking. He sacrifices his young self to save her becoming the elder Graham in the process. No longer able to play baseball as an older man with the professional ball players he heads back to 'Heaven' in the cornfield. He doesn't mind and reminds Costner, who apologizes for that happening, that medicine was his true calling. Saving people, like his daughter, was his true skill.

As he leaves the field of his dreams, the players thank and commend him for his skills as a doctor. Just before he enters the corn, Shoeless Joe, calls out to him. "Hey Rookie!" and after a beat "You were good". He thanks and commends him for his skill as a ball player. Burt Lancaster's response is a poignantly sad yet satisfied smile. Praise from a legendary player of Joe's caliber vindicates his belief that he would indeed have made it in the big leagues. He is at peace with that 'what if' scenario and his decision to forego it to become a doctor. All conveyed with a look and a slight smile.

20170414144423281.JPEG

Shoeless Joe then unveils to Costner the big reveal of the movie and gestures towards home plate and Costner realizes it's the ghost of his father. They introduce themselves and make their peace. That scene with father and son get's the most attention and is emotional in itself but for whatever reason the prelude to that with Lancaster's character hit's me hard. I think it's the dignity and gravitas he lent to the part which was his final movie role that tee's up the final father & son reconciliation and it's impact.

Every single time it get's me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This. Even though here the audio is as bad as the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Sorry can't find a clip but start of Twin Peaks when Sheriff Truman comes to tell Leland Palmer his daughters dead and his wife is on the phone. And that amazing Badalamenti score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When Forrest Gump, having found out he has a son, asks is he 'Smart or like me?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Multiple scenes in Lassie movies.

Been a while since I see it but I remember couple times feeling sad at the "He can't see without his glasses" scene from My Girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Toy Story 3 - the furnace - 'nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Setsuko's death
    in Grave of the Fireflies. That destroyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

When HAL won't open the pod bay doors. I knew things wouldn't be the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Toy Story 3 - the furnace - 'nuff said.

It was a great scene but more for the drama of it all. But the final scene watching Andy play with the toys one last time before he heads off to college...I'm actually welling up even thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Multiple scenes in Lassie movies.

Been a while since I see it but I remember couple times feeling sad at the "He can't see without his glasses" scene from My Girl.

I had a bad experience with a Lassie movie as a child, I still can't talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Didn't make me cry but very sad at end of the film "the crow

The scene at end where camera stays on Brandon Lee that bit longer .

For people that don't know Brandon died making film .

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Kramer v Kramer when Dustin Hoffman is making the last breakfast for his son before he gives him back to Meryl Streep.

I am Legend...when the dog dies.

LalaLand....the last few minutes.

La Vie est Belle....most of the film is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

verycool wrote:
    Every. F*cking. Time.

stop watched this on VM1 this week tears welling up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

spurious wrote:
    When Forrest Gump, having found out he has a son, asks is he 'Smart or like me?'.

he's smart btw you might have aids lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

When Bambi's mam was shot dead, but even more than that, this:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Normally any scene of a film where a dog dies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭pah

It was a great scene but more for the drama of it all. But the final scene watching Andy play with the toys one last time before he heads off to college...I'm actually welling up even thinking about it!

This, gets me every time.

Harry Stamper's speech to his daughter by video link at the end of Armageddon.

Short circuit when I was a kid, when No 5 gets all smashed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

That ‘brooks was here’ scene in the shawshank redemption. Was gonna watch it sun night on tv3, remembered that part and then thought, ‘nah, not going there tonight.’

My guaranteed to bawl scene is the one in the film ‘crash’ where the guys daughter gets shot, or so he thinks, because she runs in front to protect him because he told her she wears a special, invisible cloak that protects her.

Oh and Gran Torino always gets me too. And the end of Leon. Usually it’s the soundtrack or the score to these films that sets me off.

Advertisement