Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film scenes that always make you cry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

daniel craig as bond....that torture scene where hes in the chair with his balls hanging out through a hole in the chair..and the bad guy is swinging a heavy knotted rope and cracking him hard right in the leitrims....brought a tear watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Plague Dogs. Great film. But it is proof that not all cartoons are funny or happy or even make you crack a smile the whole way through. In fact if you think you're feeling too happy, this is the film you need to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Senna (2010). When the documentary moves onto Imola, I lose it every time. I well up in anticipation of what is about to unfold...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Plague Dogs. Great film. But it is proof that not all cartoons are funny or happy or even make you crack a smile the whole way through. In fact if you think you're feeling too happy, this is the film you need to watch

Shall we talk about Watership Down?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Empire of the Sun has it's moments...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

This scene from The Champ

ALWAYS gets me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Dunkirk. The 'little ships'.

Sobsobsob.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Achingly sad ....

https://youtu.be/2axt1Fjq4YE

Beautiful madness ...

https://youtu.be/0zHmeTeLgMY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

In Love Actually when Emma Thompson's character opens the gift and it's not the one she had seen earlier and she cries in the bedroom and then composes herself. Breaks my heart every time I watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Marley and Me? Anything with a dog dying, or thinking they're dead. Turner and Hooch is another :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

neonsofa wrote: »
    In Love Actually when Emma Thompson's character opens the gift and it's not the one she had seen earlier and she cries in the bedroom and then composes herself. Breaks my heart every time I watch it.

Oh God, yes!! Heartbreak central!! Poor Emma... :(

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Marley and Me? Anything with a dog dying, or thinking they're dead. Turner and Hooch is another :/

I point blank refuse to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

New Home wrote: »
    Oh God, yes!! Heartbreak central!! Poor Emma... :(

I point blank refuse to watch it.

It was actually on when I was away last week, flicked past it

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

Harry Stamper talking to Grace for the last time in Armageddon. Breaks my heart every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

The final scenes of Schindler's List where the actors from the film, accompanied by the actual survivors they portrayed, go to the real Oskar Schindler's grave and lay stones on it. That just sends me into floods of tears, every single time. Even more than the little girl in the red coat. That whole film was a very hard one to watch.

I also watched a little Shawshank the other night, but bowed out when Brooks was being released from prison, for obvious reasons. I don't need those negative emotions hanging over me before another working week starts. 'Tis bad enough, without crying over poor old Brooks.

Animal Farm, when Boxer was being taken away to....you know....

The end of Marley and Me. I didn't know how it ended before I started watching it. Boy, did I cry some salty tears that night.

Generally, these days if I know in advance that a film is sad, I probably won't watch it. I'm too affected by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MissGriff

Last scene in The Bridges of Madison County, where Meryl Streep is in the car fighting with herself whether to open the door and run off with Clint Eastwood...........I end up in convulsions crying every God damn time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

neonsofa wrote: »

Yep. One of the finest pieces of acting I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Liam Neeson crying in Schindlers list when he could have done more. (at the end)

Scene in Michael Collins when he is killed. The mix of scenes with She moved through the fair song.

Cinema Paradiso, final scene watching all the cuts from the movies.

Into the wild, the death of Alexander Supertramp.

Dr Zhivago, his death scene. So close to Lara....

Still sticking to the Nazi theme... how about Sophie's Choice?? Traumatised for life.

Oh, also - pretty much all of The Colour Purple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Titanic.
    Boob scene.
    Wish I could draw. *sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

When Bambi's mam was shot dead, but even more than that, this:

I'm bawling here after watching that!

Toldya.

Nooooo, no we shall not. We shall never talk, think or speak of that one ever again.
    Have already poured radiation blocking levels of cement over that emotional trauma. It's well buried.
    Please.

(silently weeps)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 johnskull

Warrior (2011) - Final fight scene

I keep thinking of more. I know, I'm pathetic.

The Yearling :(:(:(

Old Yeller :(:(:(

and also

Les Misérables (more so the live musicals than the film, but the film was bawl-worthy, too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Backdraft - the cortege scene with the kid with his dads helmet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Ending of 'My Dog Skip'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Remember watching A Dogs Purpose just after it came out. I cried so much watching it. Watched it with my dog beside me and that really didn't help the situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was going to say that it was made by the same people who made Watership Down. It was like they thought Watership Down was too upbeat so decided to fix that with Plague Dogs. The opening scene involves them letting a dog drown in a lab and resuscitating him
    If you want an idea, you can watch the opening scene here then hate me forever
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_lMZtLWJOs

With films like this and Watership Down and tv series like Animals of Farthing Wood growing up, you have to wonder how we're not all really messed up. :)

Advertisement