Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Depends on the flight destination. Time of flight. Loads of factors to take account of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Ryanair Sun to be re-branded as Buzz from Autumn 2019... of course for those of us old enough to remember the former KLM brand subsequently taken-over by Ryanair it makes a return after 15 years !

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-sun-to-be-rebranded-as-buzz-in-autumn-2019/?fbclid=IwAR1_M32huF8IqN8ZpOJXdIOH66-VXF0HuHN1TRgoWuZtMhGx60KE0vVV_zQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

"Buzz will launch its own website and app in autumn 2019, where Polish customers will be able to book all Ryanair flights, including these operated by Buzz."

Interesting that they are launching a separate app and website which it sounds like will be nothing more than a skin for the current Ryanair portals. There's no Laudamotion app but the website is a barely disguised version of the Ryanair website.

Looks like they're going all in on diluting the brand into sub airlines possibly as a way to distance themselves from some of the negativity of the Ryanair brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Ryanair Sun to be re-branded as Buzz from Autumn 2019... of course for those of us old enough to remember the former KLM brand subsequently taken-over by Ryanair it makes a return after 15 years !

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-sun-to-be-rebranded-as-buzz-in-autumn-2019/?fbclid=IwAR1_M32huF8IqN8ZpOJXdIOH66-VXF0HuHN1TRgoWuZtMhGx60KE0vVV_zQ

Very strange to add this level of complexity. Multiple brands = loss of value in marketing spend and there's really no reason to be making up brands. Lauda makes sense - it's established and relevant in the market.

Now we will have FR operating two or three brands in some markets , all bookable through the Ryanair platform or skins of it and a bit of a mish mash of which brand you'll fly with (look at current Poland to IE/UK winter ops where ATM it's unrecognisable that you are flying with Ryanair sun but now it will be obvious)

Will they be brand conscious when rotating airframes around bases for mx/operational reasons? If so that comes at a financial cost, if not that comes at a branding cost.

This is just change for changes sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I guess this is Ryanair taking their ambitions to be an IAG style group one step further with independent brands now added to the mix.

IAG is made up of well establish former national carrier brands and a major low cost airline brand with Level as the start up brand. The Ryanair Group will consist on the well established Ryanair brand (Ryanair DAC and Ryanair UK) with Laudamotion established in its market and now Buzz the start up brand, albeit a revival of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

So are they changing this holiday package type product they offer in Poland and changing it into just another brand and dropping the package arrangement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

ch-aviation is raising the possibility of an AOC for Ryanair Spain.
    If the aim of some with seniority is to get a base in Spain then they might be disappointed if that part of Ryanair operates under a difference AOC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

rivegauche wrote: »
    ch-aviation is raising the possibility of an AOC for Ryanair Spain.
    If the aim of some with seniority is to get a base in Spain then they might be disappointed if that part of Ryanair operates under a difference AOC

What exactly is your point? Also how do you know that seniority doesn’t transfer through different AOC’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

If that AOC comes in to existence then pilots from elsewhere will probably only be allowed move as Direct Entry applicants and they won't be taking their old salary package with them.
    Multiple AOCs will make the Ryanair family of Brands better able to withstand Industrial Action and give cadets in the Iberian peninsula some meaningful chance of career development within Ryanair.
    Considering the tenor of your response I think that you know this as well as I do and it irks you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's the right thing to do and that's what I'm questioning. A few airlines across Europe operate under multiple AOC's but yet have one internal seniority system. Why can't Ryanair? If the company and its staff went to a lot of trouble to create new agreements which are, as far as I can see being signed across their network then why would they do something to jeopardise these agreements and thus risk further industrial disputes? I don't see any benefit to it. Allow a hundred or so direct entry pilots to skip the queue and piss off a couple thousand. How does that make sense? Would you think that is a fair system?

If what you suggest is true, I can't believe people would want to work under this oppressive management regime which is why I don't really believe it. There has to be give and take to create a fair system and prevent the high levels of staff turnover seen in the past which led to thousands of flight cancellations and indeed just general dissatisfaction amongst Ryanair staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

IngazZagni wrote:
    If what you suggest is true, I can't believe people would want to work under this oppressive management regime which is why I don't really believe it. There has to be give and take to create a fair system and prevent the high levels of staff turnover seen in the past which led to thousands of flight cancellations and indeed just general dissatisfaction amongst Ryanair staff.

That seems to be the sad truth of the matter. Ryanair are willing to spend a fortune and create new AOCs just to avoid paying staff properly. They are so hell bent on controlling their staff that all business logic goes out the window.

They don't realise that a company like Ryanair can flourish with a healthy management/employee relationship but MOL is incapable of accepting this truth. It's his way or the high way!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of this decision may be ensuring they can run UK-Spain routes without UK and hence Sterling costs particularly if they become erratic/unpredictable. Spain is likely to remain cheaper than the UK even in a crisis; and most costs are either in Euro or in a currency for which the Euro looks likely to be more stable (USD aircraft costs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Has :

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-challenges-irish-tax-law-in-bid-to-finalise-staff-agreements-1.3718883

been decided ?

If it went against Ryanair then it may be another motivation for these new AOCs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/grounding-of-boeing-737-max-8s-could-cost-ryanair-10m-this-year-1.3855559

While they saw “little cheer on the horizon”, the analysts found that one positive catalyst for the share price could be if the Michael O’Leary-led airline migrated its Max 8 order to Max 10s. They added there were “limitations” on the 197-seat capacity jet and found that a 230-240 seater aircraft would be more suitable.

do you guys think ryanair might go with a 230-40 seater?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I was talking to Michael O’Leary on Sunday evening, he said it’s highly likely Ryanair will operate the larger aircraft. Seriously considering a joint order of 321neos for Ryan & Lauda after the Max debacle. If it wasn’t for the grounding they’d have already ordered Max 10s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I just had two pleasant enough journeys on Ryanair over the past few days from DUB to BCN and back. This was my first time on them since March 2013, when our flight to London was delayed by 6 hours due to the snow there. The crew was friendly on both flights. I was on EI-EPC for the first flight with the older cabin and there was a beautiful sunrise and we saw the Pyrenees too. A rather uneventful flight too, unlike the second flight except the landing, which was smooth but we braked very suddenly.

I had EI-FRL last night with the newer cabin. I found the legroom to be tolerable on the flights. The seats that I had on FRL (20A moved to 26B) were hard to get used to initially because you could feel the plastic pressed on your back. A woman had a fit because someone took her seat. The flight was slightly delayed (took off 44 mins late) due to a 5 minute arrival delay from Dublin because of traffic (FRL was 10th in the queue according to the captain). We taxied for 15 minutes to get to the runway when we pushed back, 15 minutes of constant taxiing, we didn't stop at all. It was quite fun taxiing nonstop for that long. Then, as soon as we took off, the cabin turned very hot as if it wasn't warm enough. The crew did their best though to cool it down, which they succeeded in doing around 10 minutes after take off. To my annoyance, the seatbelt signs were left on for the whole 2:18 hour flight. We landed on runway 10 with a 17 minute delay and we had one of the roughest landings I've ever experienced (I've been on over 50 flights probably). Our wing tilted from the left to right before landing and our engine got louder so I thought we would go around, which would have been a first for me. It took a good 20 minutes to get off the plane after we landed though.

I guess this was the most appropriate place to share my experience with them... Overall, I would say Ryanair is not as bad as people make it out to be, certainly not for a 2 hour flight anyway. And if this is of any relevance, this is coming from a guy who's most regular airline is Turkish Airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Anybody having issues booking flights?
    Put all the info in but when it comes to paying it freezes.
    I tried a number of browsers, different devices and the ryanair app and had the same issue each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

Haven't flown Ryanair in some time so had some fun looking at baggage and seating changes! didn't realise it was no longer free for bags going in the hold - is now the same cost as priority or am I missing something?? As for random seats 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

fed_u wrote: »
    Haven't flown Ryanair in some time so had some fun looking at baggage and seating changes! didn't realise it was no longer free for bags going in the hold - is now the same cost as priority or am I missing something?? As for random seats 😂

You get free carry on luggage, but it gets tagged and put in the hold at the gate.

Edit: policy has changed. One free bag on board, but it's handbag size or laptop. No second bag free anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

No, it is not free.

• Advertisement

Small Bag - Free
    Standard Cabin Bag / Priority Boarding - €6 to €10
    10kg Checked Bag - €10 to €12 or €25 at the gate
    20kg Checked Bag - €25 to €40 

There is no longer any free luggage with Ryanair, the maximum you can bring without being charged is one small bag such as a backpack, everything else is charged for in one form or another. If you want a standard cabin bag, you must buy priority boarding. If you chance it and turn up at the gate with a bag you haven't paid for the staff might check it in for free but the official rule is a €25 fee and I've seen it enforced a lot more recently. 
    Ryanair had become very aware of people getting around the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Roanmore wrote: »
    Anybody having issues booking flights?
    Put all the info in but when it comes to paying it freezes.
    I tried a number of browsers, different devices and the ryanair app and had the same issue each time.

I discovered what my issue was after finally getting through to a booking agent.

The option I wanted was sold out, no priority boarding available (not bothered) but it still allowed me to choose the option and go forward to pay but stayed in a loop until it timed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My 72 and 73 year old parents just booked flights with Ryanair. They're finding the options very confusing. (I set them right, but anyway). The system of footwell bag free, or Priority Boarding that just happens to get you access to the overhead bins, or then the same weight bag just checked in and then after all that the reserved seat that happens to get you 60-day online check in. Especially confusing when all they want to do is print a boarding pass NOW or check in at an airport. And don't have smartphones or any real wish to use the Ryanair app.

Aer Lingus is simpler but more expensive (and doesn't fly where they need to fly).

Is the whole Ryanair system just getting that little bit too complicated for the average (or slightly old and decrepit) Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

Is the whole Ryanair system just getting that little bit too complicated for the average (or slightly old and decrepit) Joe?

I'm inclined to say yes. I used to fly with them fairly regularly and it was grand but haven't done so for about 5 years now and without recent experience of them it just seems so needlessly complicated now. I've no doubt it's fine and clear if you use them regularly but it must be a bit off-putting to someone who isn't used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

I have flown with Ryanair couple of times in last few weeks (BHX into DUB) after not having the pleasure for a few years. I found the booking experience pretty tricky to comprehend also, and I would see myself as pretty IT and Airport literate :)

In fairness as someone who has booked Ryanair for plenty of years, i always double and treble check every tick box before commiting to the pay now button.

The actual flights experience were perfectly adequate, and the staff were all very pleasant. Overall a positive experience.

There was a few people in each of the flights on the UK side pinged in the cue for having the larger bag than allowed and brought out to pay an additional fee.

Ryanair has undoubtably become slightly more complicated to deal with in recent years.

The launch of ‘Always Getting Better’ in 2014 came with many genuine and effective improvements such as the new app, free cabin bags, 30 day free check in and competitive seat fees. While great for passengers, it was difficult for Ryanair as they experienced increased boarding times, a decline in punctuality and a slowing in ancillary revenue growth when compared to rivals.

Ryanair responded with harsher rules for baggage, not once, not twice but three times in the space of two years which confused passengers and staff alike. Early check in is gone unless you pay and priority boarding is higher priced. The app has turned into a mini version of their website with distracting adverts and graphics, the ‘MyRyanair’ membership has proven to be pointless and the highly anticipated “new” on board menu is identical to the old one!

On the plus side fares continue to be low, punctuality has improved and the operation recovered incredibly well following the roster mishap. On board service is still typically Ryanair, nothing fancy but effective and there’s very rarely an issue. The leisure and business plus fares add flexibility.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I flew with them last weekend. Perfectly adequate although both flights were marginally late.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

My 72 and 73 year old parents just booked flights with Ryanair. They're finding the options very confusing. (I set them right, but anyway). The system of footwell bag free, or Priority Boarding that just happens to get you access to the overhead bins, or then the same weight bag just checked in and then after all that the reserved seat that happens to get you 60-day online check in. Especially confusing when all they want to do is print a boarding pass NOW or check in at an airport. And don't have smartphones or any real wish to use the Ryanair app.

Aer Lingus is simpler but more expensive (and doesn't fly where they need to fly).

How could AerLingus be more expensive when tou have just said they don’t fly to the airport you need? What are you comparing it with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

I have no probs with FR......the leg room is tight for a 6’2 lump of lad like me but other than that it’s grand. I keep buying flights with FR as they are so cheap and then don’t bother turning up for half of them.....another way they make money I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

How could AerLingus be more expensive when tou have just said they don’t fly to the airport you need? What are you comparing it with.

Well, they're going to Gatwick with Ryanair as there is no Aer Lingus flight from Cork - Gatwick for some reason. They could go into Southampton with Aer Lingus (until May anyway when they kill that route), so that was their expensive alternative.

Advertisement