Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

I remember they flew to Skavsta at one point. Flew the route in 2013. I think their only Swedish route now from Ireland is to Gothenburg.

There's no direct Ryanair route between DUB and Norway anymore either.
    From what I remember from the Norwegian press at the time, an environmental levy on airfares was planned which resulted in Ryanair threatening to pull the plug on their base at "Oslo" Rygge Airport if it went through.

Norwegian Government refused to back down, Ryanair closed their base at Rygge, which in turn resulted in the airport itself closing (99.999% of their business was Ryanair).

I do miss having the option to fly Ryanair back to DUB from an Oslo airport (Rygge wasn't as far away from the city as the notorious "Oslo" Torp Airport). They also had to compete with SAS and Norwegian on that route and would often win on price.

Ryanair still operate in Norway. They's a handful of flights to Eastern Europe at "Oslo" Torp and they did end up with a couple of flights out of OSL itself (mostly to London).

Alas, no direct flights to Dublin with them...and poor old Rygge is now a Ghost Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1TC126

Ryanair's British pilots have signalled strong support for industrial action over pay and conditions in an indicative ballot carried out by the BALPA.
    90 percent of pilots balloted supported the non-binding call for industrial action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Ryanair aren't short of pilots at the moment so the threat(and that is all that they are) of strikes by an unknown number of Union Activists is going to have a negligible effect on operations..
    https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/597527-joining-ryanair-23.html

They can call for strike action but don't be surprised if a portion of their planes get sent to the new Malta sub-brand.

I can see why BALPA is doing this; Ryanair's introduction of over-capacity in to the European market to shake out weak competitors is putting other Airlines and their pilots under pressure. That is the real story here. Ryanair is driving others in to bankruptcy. This is BALPA looking after BALPA subs, not the interests of Ryanair employees.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-invest-in-a-malta-aoc-through-purchase-of-malta-air/

This investment in Malta Air will allow Ryanair to grow its already sizable presence in Malta (3m customers p.a.), and access non-EU markets (North Africa) from Malta. Completion is planned for the end of June, following which Ryanair Holdings will;

Switch 6 Malta based aircraft (worth over $600m) onto the Maltese register
    200 Malta based crew move onto local contracts paying local Maltese taxes
    Increase its Malta based fleet to 10 aircraft within three years and create over 350 jobs
    Brand its Malta based fleet in Malta Air colours for Summer 2020
    Move Ryanair based aircraft from France, Italy and Germany onto the Malta AOC which will allow these crews to pay their income taxes locally in France, Italy and Germany instead of Ireland where they are currently required to pay income taxes under Ryanair’s Irish AOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

0lddog wrote: »
    Has :

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-challenges-irish-tax-law-in-bid-to-finalise-staff-agreements-1.3718883

been decided ?

If it went against Ryanair then it may be another motivation for these new AOCs

It seems that Pascal CBA to help with the problem and now Malta will benefit

• Advertisement

D_LrE2ZX4AAbAUp.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

rivegauche wrote: »
    https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-invest-in-a-malta-aoc-through-purchase-of-malta-air/
    <snip>
    Move Ryanair based aircraft from France, Italy and Germany onto the Malta AOC which will allow these crews to pay their income taxes locally in France, Italy and Germany instead of Ireland where they are currently required to pay income taxes under Ryanair’s Irish AOC.
    pardon my ignorance, but does this then mean the planes will be malta registered with a malta reg number and wee flag?

separately, if this means the staff in the likes of Germany can benefit from paying into their national pension/ old age care/ unemployment/ social security/ medical insurance funds/ insurances then thats great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

pardon my ignorance, but does this then mean the planes will be malta registered with a malta reg number and wee flag?

Not necessarily, they can register them in Malta or wherever they like but there's no obligation to display the Maltese flag or any flag for that matter. There is no regulatory requirement to display any flag if you don't want to.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Very surprised at that, following hot on the heels of Andy O'Shea leaving as well, two of the most respected operational people in the industry leaving the company within a short time period.

Suggests all is not well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not necessarily, they can register them in Malta or wherever they like but there's no obligation to display the Maltese flag or any flag for that matter. There is no regulatory requirement to display any flag if you don't want to.

They have indeed added the Maltese flag

https://i.postimg.cc/3NX7XcgR/9-H-QAA-by-Donal-Morrissey-Birrlad.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

Managing to shoehorn a childish dig at atc into a heartfelt departure statement, pretty right to the bitter end.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

john boye wrote: »
    Managing to shoehorn a childish dig at atc into a heartfelt departure statement, pretty right to the bitter end.

To me it's obvious that it's purely tongue in cheek to me, hence the smileys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

marno21 wrote: »

Thanks, I just pointed out that there's no requirement to do it and nothing to stop you if you want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes but do they have to transfer aircraft onto the Maltese register to operate them under a Maltese AOC? Would seem a bit unnecessary if the aircraft is already on an EU country's register.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I work down near the Ryanair building in Airside, they seem to be building another office block on the land they own there, anyone know more about it? Construction phase only to take 6-8 weeks!

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanairs-new-economical-hq-office-expansion-will-be-home-to-750-staff-37258397.html

2018-08-17_bus_43342438_I1.JPG

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

FR look to be replacing the 737 MAX branding on their new fleet to "737-8200"

https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1150513859096002560

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I'm guessing the whole point of the branding is for ground crew so they can easily differentiate between the two future types? I don't think they would have bothered to come up with such a clumsy alternative otherwise, neither have any marketing benefit that's for sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm guessing the whole point of the branding is for ground crew so they can easily differentiate between the two future types? I don't think they would have bothered to come up with such a clumsy alternative otherwise, neither have any marketing benefit that's for sure.

It's to get the hideously tarnished word MAX off it. The former MAX8-200 the first few frames had written on them was more than sufficient for ground crew as the difference was quite a bit clearer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭sheroman01

So, are Ryanair re-branding the exact 737-MAX models that were involved in the Ethiopian Airlines Crash? Or are they re-branding a different model that also has MAX in it's name?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

sheroman01 wrote: »
    So, are Ryanair re-branding the exact 737-MAX models that were involved in the Ethiopian Airlines Crash? Or are they re-branding a different model that also has MAX in it's name?

An extremely minor variant of those involved in the two crashes, with an extra emergency exit to raise the maximum passenger limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭sheroman01

L1011 wrote: »
    An extremely minor variant of those involved in the two crashes, with an extra emergency exit to raise the maximum passenger limit.

Fcuk. I fly roughly about 10 times a year. My fear is actually worse the more I travel! This is very off putting, and as much as I like cheap flights (I actually usually never have hassle with Ryanair), this will put me off them. Do we expect a massive backlash on this, or will people just continue to fly with them? Will anyone here not fly with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Inquitus wrote: »
    I work down near the Ryanair building in Airside, they seem to be building another office block on the land they own there, anyone know more about it? Construction phase only to take 6-8 weeks!

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanairs-new-economical-hq-office-expansion-will-be-home-to-750-staff-37258397.html

2018-08-17_bus_43342438_I1.JPG
    The land use for the temporary car park seems inefficient with land values around there. If I was cynical I would predict that a reason to sell off or lease this new building will arise. Are Ryanair really growing staff numbers in HQ at this pace? The staff in HQ are not directly generating revenue in the same way that operational staff are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Fcuk. I fly roughly about 10 times a year. My fear is actually worse the more I travel! This is very off putting, and as much as I like cheap flights (I actually usually never have hassle with Ryanair), this will put me off them. Do we expect a massive backlash on this, or will people just continue to fly with them? Will anyone here not fly with them?

Ryanair don't have any of these planes yet and won't have until they have been recertified to fly by EASA, which will be a much more rigorous process than the initial certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

It’s actually not a rebranding, it’s the official designation for the 737 ‘max’ 200, it was designated 737-8200 for the higher density seating and extra emergency exit by EASA in 2016 and the FAA took it on in 2017 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

What do you mean by massive backlash? People protesting outside airports?

BALPA balloting their British Ryanair pilots for possible strike action. Result known by August 7th. Strike then possible 2 weeks later.

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1UC23V

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Is 815am an acceptable time to arrive at the airport when your Ryanair flight is at 1005am?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Is 815am an acceptable time to arrive at the airport when your Ryanair flight is at 1005am?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

I see Peter Bellew is off to easyJet now.

Hopefully he'll have the freedom there to bring in the positive changes he had planned at FR, if it weren't for a certain CEO.

• Advertisement

I see Peter Bellew is off to easyJet now.

Hopefully he'll have the freedom there to bring in the positive changes he had planned at FR, if it weren't for a certain CEO.
    Or maybe they're paying him a ton of money which seems more plausible as if he hadn't been able to endure the working environment in Ryanair the first time around he wouldn't have come back.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0718/1063753-bellew-moves-to-easyjet/

Advertisement