Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Remember one trip to STN with Ryanair years ago (around 97/98 or so) where the life-jacket used during the safety demo had “Property of Lufthansa” printed across the front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Were some of the original 737-200's ex Nordic countries? I remember there being some strange Nordic looking exit signs when I first flew Ryanair back in the early 90's.

Lufthansa, Transavia and Britannia were the majority I remember , there may have been an odd ball or two in there tho

blackwhite wrote: »
    Remember one trip to STN with Ryanair years ago (around 97/98 or so) where the life-jacket used during the safety demo had “Property of Lufthansa” printed across the front of it.

Indeed there was a period where one or more of them flew for FR in basic LH livery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

anyone know if theyve managed to keep 30 inch seat pitch on the 737 max 200s (they are supposed to be in soon arent they ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I am shocked that Wizz air ranked ahead of Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Or Easyjet... at least the staff on Ryanair seem nicer, in my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

They do themselves no favours with add-ons for everything. They are also a leader in "how poor service can you go", and as a result the rest of the industry says "you know what" , we can get away with that as well . Aer Lingus a clear case in point here.

Although they brand themselves as the low fare airline, the reality is somewhat different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Lufthansa, Transavia and Britannia were the majority I remember , there may have been an odd ball or two in there tho

My personal favourite was -CKS, the all white with the big RYANAIR on the side. Talking to friends that were flying them at the time each one of them had their own individual quirks. I seem to remember -CNT always had hydraulic problems. When they opened the Standsted base and were flying between there and Prestwick -CNT operated that route a lot. I think that was the Sun/News of the world aircraft/

They were old as it was but Ryanair worked them to the bone. If you were really lucky, the aircraft went tech and they subbed in the European BAC1-11's, now they were truly a bag or bolts.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

trellheim wrote: »
    anyone know if theyve managed to keep 30 inch seat pitch on the 737 max 200s (they are supposed to be in soon arent they ? )

I read an article onine about 5 days ago (think it was a US website) that stated that they are putting 29 inch seat pitch on the MAX200's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Ryanair were quite happy to see the lines get blurred a bit when they introduced their new Boeing Sky Interior cabin and loudly proclaimed it was the future and we'd see the same comfort levels on their "game changer" 737MAX aircraft. The truth is, Ryanair is at the legal maximum for the 737-800 so the introduction of slimline seats obviously resulted in a huge improvement in pitch. 

Unfortunately that improvement will be wiped out and then some with the MAX200, the total number of seats will increase to 197 in the same fuselage but to facilitate this you will see the rear toilets pushed back into the galley, halving the galley space and potentially the forward bulkhead removed and the galley reduced there as well. At the same time a new emergency exit will be fitted aft of the wing, further putting pressure on average seat pitch. 

As for Wizz Air, I'm not surprised they beat Ryanair actually. I travelled with both airlines a lot last year, 20+ returns with Ryanair with Wizz coming a close second and the overall experience with Wizz was always that little bit better. Ryanair wins on punctuality and flight times but on cost, friendliness, cabins and fees, Wizz came out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Tenger wrote: »
    I read an article onine about 5 days ago (think it was a US website) that stated that they are putting 29 inch seat pitch on the MAX200's

I read something alone the same lines but its was only a proposal not 100%.

Once again, media will fawn all over this bull****. 200 seats on a 737!!!!! Shock horror.

First the aviation media pick it up and before you know it the Daily Mail will be talking about Ryanair's jumbo jets (whilst showing a picture of a 732)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think that was the Sun/News of the world aircraft/

I was curious, so...

ei-cnt-ryanair-boeing-737-230a_PlanespottersNet_577187_0cf7b6d8ea.jpg

Dear god....quite literally a flying set of Sun-pun headline texts. So cringeworthy it's almost glorious.

Rawr wrote: »
    I was curious, so...

Dear god....quite literally a flying set of Sun-pun headline texts. So cringeworthy it's almost glorious.

The other side was even classier!

The Jag was my favourite - they did a decent job on that. And of course one of the other attempts - Eircell Ready to Go remains in Dublin as a fire trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Rawr

The other side was even classier!

The Jag was my favourite - they did a decent job on that. And of course one of the other attempts - Eircell Ready to Go remains in Dublin as a fire trainer

Ooo...I remember the Jag. That one was lovely:

65275_1062132144.jpg

Actually I'd love that dark green / silver look for Aer Lingus (not likely, but I think it would be awesome).

I love that old Ready to Go plane. Brings back nostalgia every time I arrive home into Ireland :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Flew on the Jaguar one very shortly before its retirement. Interior was absolutely shot, my seat couldn't stay upright on its own and some blinds would wobble down in flight amongst other problems.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Ooo...I remember the Jag. That one was lovely:

65275_1062132144.jpg

Actually I'd love that dark green / silver look for Aer Lingus (not likely, but I think it would be awesome).:)
    I think EI livery in early 50s was similar color palate.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/2935938392/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

L1011 wrote: »
    Flew on the Jaguar one very shortly before its retirement. Interior was absolutely shot, my seat couldn't stay upright on its own and some blinds would wobble down in flight amongst other problems.

It also had pressurisation problems and couldn’t fly above 16k feet for about the last year of it’s days, the Hertz was hounded with hydraulic problems too for a good while before it left and the Kilkenny one was always tech with different issues on nearly every flight. I miss the -200’s though, proper planes that were built to last

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Hertz colour scheme managed to really emphasise the skin patches, moreso than any other I've ever seen. Frame that old would have a lot of ramp rash to patch so it was very noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

L1011 wrote: »
    The Hertz colour scheme managed to really emphasise the skin patches, moreso than any other I've ever seen. Frame that old would have a lot of ramp rash to patch so it was very noticeable

It had a lot of paint touch-ups too. Here it is in its last months of Ryanair service.

15013911913_19ab958177_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

plodder wrote: »
    BAC 1-11s iirc in the early days

ROMBAC 1-11s cause they were cheaper :)

Life ain't always empty.

Then Mother got very ill and passed away before departure date. I just said OK, it wasn't to be and sucked it up.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Ryanair have been known to issue refunds under these circumstances.

Life ain't always empty.

Hush kit?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I was curious, so...

Just missing the letter 'U' from it's number :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

kilkenny one for me , loved the hush kits on those 737-200's as well

think i flew on all thsoe painted ones apart from the 'sun' one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I was curious, so...

It never flew to LPL anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    "Priority", allows for one 10kg bag and handbag. For all additional bags, up to a limit of 20kg, you pay the price!
    Most if not all airlines will have a similar policy for additional bags above your "Priority/Standard" allowance.

Wizz Air allow for Priority (giving you a bag + trolley) and a 10kg piece of luggage, which is about a quarter of the price of a 20kg piece. Not sure how long it will last however...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Hi, hope somebody can help me here.

I’m trying to book a flight with Ryanair to Liverpool in a few weeks. I need 4 seats. When I go to book them it tells me the flight is sold out for that particular date which is fine, however when I try to book the flight for 1 person it allows me to book it.

When I get to the pick a seat stage in the booking it shows the flight is half empty. Anyone ever see this before? Is it likely they’ll put them back on sale again? I’m afraid to book the seats individually incase it sells out after buying 1 or 2 seats

Thanks

You are not obliged to pay for a specific seat in advance which is why the seat map is showing with more availability - for prebooked specific seats.

It is very likely that you will only be able to book one or two tickets before the flight is completely full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

Flyer29 wrote: »
    Hi, hope somebody can help me here.

I’m trying to book a flight with Ryanair to Liverpool in a few weeks. I need 4 seats. When I go to book them it tells me the flight is sold out for that particular date which is fine, however when I try to book the flight for 1 person it allows me to book it.

When I get to the pick a seat stage in the booking it shows the flight is half empty. Anyone ever see this before? Is it likely they’ll put them back on sale again? I’m afraid to book the seats individually incase it sells out after buying 1 or 2 seats

Thanks

Hi there is less than 4 seats available however not everyone else's on the flight has purchased a seat so they are appearing as available to buy instead of going for automatic seat selection which will happen upon check in so the seats don't populate until then

If you need to be in Liverpool you could go to Manchester and get the train its very handy

D

Advertisement