Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

rivegauche wrote: »
    Or maybe and much more likely he was approached, headhunted and enticed away for a very large salary. It is the most likely scenario but a more salacious story pleases some people more.

Yes Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dranno

I fly Ryanair quite a lot and generally find them ok if I follow their rules. And I usually like the price. But now I've done something unfortunate..

I have four trips booked on Ryanair between mid August and late September. I booked them online with all the information from my account.

My passport needed renewing and I have sent it off for this purpose. I expect to have the new one back in time before my next trip.

However, I have just realised that my passport details will now be different from those on Ryanair's records when I booked. I know that they say that travel documentation cannot be changed more than 48 hours after booking. So, I was silly not to have thought about this before renewing my passport.

I cannot get through to Ryanair by phone or on their chat.

Would anyone have experience with this sort of situation and know how they would react ? They only use the passport for identifying people and I could take both my old and new passport with me.

Also, would anyone know how I can contact Ryanair about this ?

Thanks very much for any advice on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

It won't matter a jot. All that matters is the passport is in date and the name matches the booking.

I does this all the time. I check in with one number and use the other to fly. Never an issue.

Dranno wrote: »
    I fly Ryanair quite a lot and generally find them ok if I follow their rules. And I usually like the price. But now I've done something unfortunate..

I have four trips booked on Ryanair between mid August and late September. I booked them online with all the information from my account.

My passport needed renewing and I have sent it off for this purpose. I expect to have the new one back in time before my next trip.

However, I have just realised that my passport details will now be different from those on Ryanair's records when I booked. I know that they say that travel documentation cannot be changed more than 48 hours after booking. So, I was silly not to have thought about this before renewing my passport.

I cannot get through to Ryanair by phone or on their chat.

Would anyone have experience with this sort of situation and know how they would react ? They only use the passport for identifying people and I could take both my old and new passport with me.

Also, would anyone know how I can contact Ryanair about this ?

Thanks very much for any advice on this.

You don’t give passport details when booking. If it’s what you’ve got in your account details, just amend when you get the new passport.

Well, that's encouraging.

Maryanne....when I make a booking online it asks what identification document I'm travelling with and when I say 'passport' it asks me to confirm the details it has in my account. When I go to ' manage my booking' it says that these details cannot be changed. ( Just for that booking of course.)

I'm just worried because of the stories of Ryanair making large charges for small errors in booking information although it does seem that is usually names.

Moose - When you say you check in with one number do you mean the same process as I described ? And is it with Ryanair ? I know that this would not be an issue with other airlines.

Thanks for the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Dranno wrote:

Save your new passport details when you get it and then select that when checking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Dranno wrote: »
    Well, that's encouraging.

Maryanne....when I make a booking online it asks what identification document I'm travelling with and when I say 'passport' it asks me to confirm the details it has in my account. When I go to ' manage my booking' it says that these details cannot be changed. ( Just for that booking of course.)

I'm just worried because of the stories of Ryanair making large charges for small errors in booking information although it does seem that is usually names.

Moose - When you say you check in with one number do you mean the same process as I described ? And is it with Ryanair ? I know that this would not be an issue with other airlines.

Thanks for the comments.
    I have my passport card saved on my Ryanair account. I often just use the full passport book which of course has a different number.

There is never an issue. So long as the name on the ID matches the name on the ticket, they don't care.

For a good nights sleep just change the details in the Ryanair app when you get your new passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Can confirm also a friend of mine checks in with his full passport but uses his passport card to board so you should be totally fine.

Thanks folks. And sorry Maryanne.

I was wrong about submitting passport info when the booking is made and you are all correct that it happens at check in.

Panic over !:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

See video while it is available.
    https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/624075-ryanair-downsizing.html

Investors in Ryanair would expect this response to the challenges facing Ryanair at the moment but it means that some staff will lose jobs.

It appears that the opportunities to leave Ryanair have dried up or that the Ryanair employment offer has become more attractive or a bit of both.

If there was massive staff turnover he would not be recording this video and he'd just let natural wastage do its thing. Dublin probably isn't affected much but UK/Belfast is. With pound to euro and dollar rates dropping British flights aren't as profitable as they once were and planes and oil aren't being paid for in Sterling.
    I think DACH region will probably be reasonably OK as he is intent on continuing the price war there.

This is not a good time to be on a picket line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

See video while it is available.
    https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/624075-ryanair-downsizing.html

Investors in Ryanair would expect this response to the challenges facing Ryanair at the moment but it means that some staff will lose jobs.

It appears that the opportunities to leave Ryanair have dried up or that the Ryanair employment offer has become more attractive or a bit of both.

If there was massive staff turnover he would not be recording this video and he'd just let natural wastage do its thing. Dublin probably isn't affected much but UK/Belfast is. With pound to euro and dollar rates dropping British flights aren't as profitable as they once were and planes and oil aren't being paid for in Sterling.
    I think DACH region will probably be reasonably OK as he is intent on continuing the price war there.

This is not a good time to be on a picket line.

It's because of the fear of picket lines that he has released this video. Blinkers firmly on for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

1123heavy wrote: »
    It's because of the fear of picket lines that he has released this video. Blinkers firmly on for some.

Did you see the video with Neil saying basically the opposite of what MOL said? Absolute plonkers the lot of them, same aul rhetoric every year around this time until Octoberish

Ryanair, now at the end of summer season have a bunch of old airframes which they would have otherwise sold on by now. They are not going to send those airframes with high cycles for major checks at great expense when they are expecting a steady stream of 737 8200 planes to arrive in coming months. Those old airframes are actually worth more than they otherwise would be because of the grounding of the plane informally known as the 737 Max. The cold hard-nosed decision is to take those planes out of service, sell them, make a proportion of the workforce redundant and spin activities up again when the new planes arrive. It is co-incidental that this action can dampen down militancy among the pilots but it will certainly be seized upon by management to potentially save themselves millions in lost revenue/extra expense due to strike action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

https://youtu.be/otQ-9Eei-Vs

The same day Rivegauche's video was released so was this.

Which is it???!!!

There is no contradiction between the two videos; Growth is not promised for Winter and growth involves moving planes away from regions where the consumer is shortly not going to have a pot to piss in.
    I saw that interview yesterday morning.

rivegauche wrote:
    There is no contradiction between the two videos; Growth is not promised for Winter and growth involves moving planes away from regions where the consumer is shortly not going to have a pot to piss in. I saw that interview yesterday morning.

No airline grows during the winter though.

Every autumn FR come out with these doom and gloom memos about base closures/reduced routes etc yet come April they are announcing record quarterly profits.

No airline grows during the winter though.

Every autumn FR come out with these doom and gloom memos about base closures/reduced routes etc yet come April they are announcing record quarterly profits.
    You are only interpreting it that way and this year quarter by quarter the results haven't been in line with previous years. Those poor pensioners in the pension funds who ACTUALLY OWN THE COMPANY need to get a return on investment. It is a truth which doesn't register with some. If an employee wants to work in a company which is run to their benefit rather than the benefit of the owners then apply for a job in Alitalia.

How about a company that benefits both staff and shareholders?
    That sounds like a company that people will be happy to make a career in.
    If Ryanair invest so much in training their staff why are they happy to let them go after so little time?!
    Fostering high experience levels with crew is not only a safety advantage but also encourages a better environment within a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

Plenty of companies give a good financial return to their shareholders at the same time as treating their employees fairly. The two aren't mutually exclusive, don't buy Ryanair's PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

If Ryanair invest so much in training their staff why are they happy to let them go after so little time?!

Because if you look closer, they spend very little on their staff training so it means little to them if they leave.

Many guys who joined as cadets on the bonded scheme will potentially be in limbo. Ryr won't make them officially redundant, they'll send them for unpaid leave or give them very light rosters. The guys won't be able to leave the situation because RYR will demand the hefty bond be repaid. What it appears they are about to do could pass for a plan hatched by the devil himself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Imagine if MoL had actually followed the SouthWest business model?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

You are only interpreting it that way and this year quarter by quarter the results haven't been in line with previous years. Those poor pensioners in the pension funds who ACTUALLY OWN THE COMPANY need to get a return on investment. It is a truth which doesn't register with some. If an employee wants to work in a company which is run to their benefit rather than the benefit of the owners then apply for a job in Alitalia.

There is significant research to show that a more positively engaged workforce is more productive and drives better results. For example some research cited in this HBR article might be of interest.
    In studies by the Queens School of Business and by the Gallup Organization, disengaged workers had 37% higher absenteeism, 49% more accidents, and 60% more errors and defects. In organizations with low employee engagement scores, they experienced 18% lower productivity, 16% lower profitability, 37% lower job growth, and 65% lower share price over time. Importantly, businesses with highly engaged employees enjoyed 100% more job applications.

Ryanair is a successful company no doubt, but actually its biggest SNAFU of recent years arose as a result of HR issues.

Also "The truth speaks for itself" and dealing with staff like like secondary school pupils no longer suffices.
    Evident in the YouTube vid posted by rivergauch.
    Yes of course the 737 max scandal couldn't have happened for a worse time.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    There is significant research to show that a more positively engaged workforce is more productive and drives better results. For example some research cited in this HBR article might be of interest.

Ryanair is a successful company no doubt, but actually its biggest SNAFU of recent years arose as a result of HR issues.
    ...and how is this going to help them when they are resource constrained w.r.t. to young economic airframes. They need to cycle out old airframes and with fewer airframes they need fewer pilots and flight attendants. I'm sure they will attempt to retain the most positive employees after more senior pilots have been given their opportunity to stay or leave on the terms offered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If your economic model is entirely reliant on young airframes and your supply has been cut off, your model is broken.

Contract the company is not the obvious answer here

L1011 wrote: »
    If your economic model is entirely reliant on young airframes and your supply has been cut off, your model is broken.
    If that were the case then the Accountants(and it is run by Accountants) that run Ryanair would change policy.
    If that were the case then Ryanair couldn't sell bonds to purchase new planes.

The reason they are controlling their fleet is because at the moment the airframes are worth more than they otherwise would be and at the Financial Results meeting last time he mentioned that there was surprisingly strong demand from Chinese Freight companies to buy their old planes for conversion to Freighters. As long as 737 8200 planes are unavailable prices for 737NG will be strong.

If you are interested there is a very interesting discussion from about a month ago on lease rates for the 737-800 due to Max grounding and the cost of running them balanced against the lease discount you can expect to pay for an NG versus a max(now grounded) on airliners.net
    https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1424243

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are assuming they are making the right decision. Believe it or not, they have made the wrong decision in the past.

And this is of course assuming they do what they're implying now. Because frequently they haven't.

Ryanair can do wrong. You do not appear to be able to understand this.

L1011 wrote: »

Contract the company is not the obvious answer here
    You are assuming they are making the wrong decision and presenting it as fact.
    Fact is that their decision to purchase a new airframes and offload old airframes has turned them in to one of it not the most profitable airline in Europe.
    These days I can lease a brand new sumpermini for well under 100 euro a month. New or Old? The decision for me is simple. The same for them. Their pay practically nothing on their bonds so buying is the right fresh airframes and spending little on Maintenance is the right choice for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

How long on average do they keep their frames????

I’m not too familiar with the maintenance but I know there’s a b c etc checks and one of these can cost millions to complete. Do they offload them before these are required ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

adam88 wrote: »
    How long on average do they keep their frames????

I’m not too familiar with the maintenance but I know there’s a b c etc checks and one of these can cost millions to complete. Do they offload them before these are required ??

Eight years is the optimum length of time to keep an airframe for tax purposes and avoidance of other major maintenance events like landing gear replacement at ten years.

Advertisement