Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

1123heavy wrote: »
    In the past year they've embarked on a new adventure by setting up 3 other airlines, to all but those who choose to ignore the obvious this is clearly a means to undercut conditions of those in the original Ryanair. A new means to fight the unions and staff.

I assume you speak of the soon to be Malta Air, Lauda, Ryanair UK and Ryanair Sun (the soon to be Buzz). All are different companies under the control of Ryanair PLC,.

I'm not sure what position they present to fight unions and staff at Ryanair DAC? All but Lauda have been set up by Ryanair but I can't see any evidence of them being a cunning ploy to fight unions and staff?

We are going way off topic I think, the general point I was making is that a vote to strike is not indicative of a companies position or staff knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

GM228 wrote: »
    What three air lines have they set up in the last year?

I assume you speak of the soon to be Malta Air, Lauda, Ryanair UK and Ryanair Sun (the soon to be Buzz). All are different companies under the control of Ryanair PLC,.

I'm not sure what position they present to fight unions and staff at Ryanair DAC? All but Lauda have been set up by Ryanair but I can't see any evidence of them being a cunning ploy to fight unions and staff?

PLC, DAC, Sun, buzz ... wasp even... it's smoke and mirrors.

Or do you propose that Ryanair all of a sudden felt the need to set up a new airline in Poland and Malta? After how many years this randomly pops out the hat?

I haven't got the time right now to go through it all in detail but if you compared the contracts offered to those at RYR sun and the other airlines to those that direct employees in the original airline are on it will become immediately clear what it's about. They are being set up to give RYR full power over their employees in these carriers, powers they struggle to get over them in the main company.

We are going way off topic I think, the general point I was making is that a vote to strike is not indicative of a companies position or staff knowledge.

I said I accepted this point a few posts back, but you can't compare waterford crystal to ryanair. Did waterford crystal have the track record and behavioral habits of ryanair whenever their employees were unhappy? You're comparing apples to oranges with that analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

PLC, DAC, Sun, buzz ... wasp even... it's smoke and mirrors.

Or do you propose that Ryanair all of a sudden felt the need to set up a new airline in Poland and Malta? After how many years this randomly pops out the hat?

I haven't got the time right now to go through it all in detail but if you compared the contracts offered to those at RYR sun and the other airlines to those that direct employees in the original airline are on it will become immediately clear what it's about. They are being set up to give RYR full power over their employees in these carriers, powers they struggle to get over them in the main company.

No doubt the T&Cs are less favourable, but at the end of the day they are still separate companies which are separate to Ryanair DAC, their only connection to Ryanair DAC is via their parent company Ryanair PLC. They have different management teams etcetera.

I still don't see how it's to "fight" with existing staff within Ryanair DAC and their unions, separate companies, with separate T&Cs.

I said I accepted this point a few posts back, but you can't compare waterford crystal to ryanair. Did waterford crystal have the track record and behavioral habits of ryanair whenever their employees were unhappy? You're comparing apples to oranges with that analogy.

I never compared Waterford Crystal to Ryanair, re-read what I said:-
    There have been many times when employees went on strike when their employer was genuinely in difficulty, the BE strike mentioned is a good example, they were not just on the brink of insolvency, rather they were insolvent, luckily they pulled through. The Irish Rail strikes also came at a time they were dangerously close to insolvency and then there was the 14 week Waterford Crystal strike which came at a time they were in big financial difficulties.

The point I made was in relation to your apparent point that staff will not strike when they know their employer is in trouble.

Anyway as I said we have strayed off topic, I doubt many will disagree with any suspicions raised when it comes to Ryanair's recent announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

The Public are to be held hostage to the inscrutable wishes of the Union but the Union don't actually have the power to carry through. I'd equate this to industrial terrorism where the chances of you being a victim of their actions would be exceedingly low but the perception of risk is blown out of all proportion.

IALPA have failed to explain to their Employer or the Public in specific terms why they are going on strike.
    No information can be found on their website or twitter feed.

August is chosen as the Unions know they will affect the maximum number of innocent civilians because that is precisely when they go on holiday.
    It isn't business traffic being affected here, it's Holidaymakers.

I've tried to assuage the fears expressed by some of the affected passengers in recent posts on this thread. I would ask you to do likewise with your acquaintances because the Union will happily let the Public endure angst and even though their flights will operate, the stress of wondering will take the shine off what should otherwise be a very happy holiday with their loved ones.

It is ironic that the Union Activists have the cheek to accuse their Employer of being mean and nasty.

It seems obvious that the Union always intended to cause disruption this year and will attempt to impose hundreds of millions of euro of damage to their employer through reduced income and increased compensation claims as they did in previous years. They are under the mistaken belief that they can drive their Employer in to submission.
    Is it any wonder that the Employer is currently retrenching to core bases(safe havens) where it is in the process of adjusting its labour model to make it resistant to industrial action through extensive use of contractors and in extreme cases the option for use of despatchable wet leases from other sub-companies in the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

rivegauche wrote: »
    It is ironic that the Union Activists have the cheek to accuse their Employer of being mean and nasty.

Sure, Michael is such a lovable, cuddly, non confrontational individual. I feel he is been exceptionally hard done by, with the appalling tactics been employed by these despicable, Communist Trade Unionists. :D

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Sure, Michael is such a lovable, cuddly, non confrontational individual. I feel he is been exceptionally hard done by, with the appalling tactics been employed by these despicable Communist Trade Unionists. :D
    Did you not understand the point I was making about the Irony of Union Activists trying to ruin the holiday plans of the Public for three years running as a means of inflicting pain on their employer while characterising their Employers as being nasty? August 2017, 2018, 2019.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Industrial Deletions thread was closed due to this kind of hyperbolic posting. This one will have to be too if it continues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Did you not understand the point I was making about the Irony of Union Activists trying to ruin the holiday plans of the Public for three years running as a means of inflicting pain on their employer while characterising their Employers as being nasty? August 2017, 2018, 2019.

Workers rights are vitally important and I for one support the action’s been taken by the Unions. FR have relied on a high turn over of employees for many years and in turn have done very little to promote a environment of Employee retention, especially within the junior grades. This crass disregard for Junior Employees is common place in a large proportion of major companies.

I say this in the full knowledge that I may well be collateral damage as a result of the industrial. As I intend to travel along with The Commander in Chief, with FR on the 21st of this month for my annual holiday.

The Public are to be held hostage to the inscrutable wishes of the Union but the Union don't actually have the power to carry through. I'd equate this to industrial terrorism where the chances of you being a victim of their actions would be exceedingly low but the perception of risk is blown out of all proportion.

IALPA have failed to explain to their Employer or the Public in specific terms why they are going on strike.
    No information can be found on their website or twitter feed.

August is chosen as the Unions know they will affect the maximum number of innocent civilians because that is precisely when they go on holiday.
    It isn't business traffic being affected here, it's Holidaymakers.

I've tried to assuage the fears expressed by some of the affected passengers in recent posts on this thread. I would ask you to do likewise with your acquaintances because the Union will happily let the Public endure angst and even though their flights will operate, the stress of wondering will take the shine off what should otherwise be a very happy holiday with their loved ones.

It seems obvious that the Union always intended to cause disruption this year and will attempt to impose hundreds of millions of euro of damage to their employer through reduced income and increased compensation claims as they did in previous years. They are under the mistaken belief that they can drive their Employer in to submission.
    Is it any wonder that the Employer is currently retrenching to core bases(safe havens) where it is in the process of adjusting its labour model to make it resistant to industrial action through extensive use of contractors and in extreme cases the option for use of despatchable wet leases from other sub-companies in the group.

I've lost the will to post on this thread anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

I had a flight booked for the 23rd with ryanair.

Bit of a inconvenience now but I fully support the unions and ryanair staff.

The general public for the large part have no idea how crappy Ryanair treat their employees from the get go.

I just rebooked a one way flight with a different airline.

For the sake of €100 I'll gladly support the strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Judging by most of the media reports I've seen and heard, majority of the flying public are supporting the pilots and blaming Ryanair for their failure to negotiate meaningfully or show any respect towards their staff.

I'm booking flights to the sun in the next fortnight and I won't be flying with Ryanair, even if it costs me a few extra Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Anyone who's still trustinf Ryanair with their important travel plans or holidays has only themselves to blame if you ask me.
    We've had three years of this, everyone knows the 'war' is far from over. Until it's over strikes like these are always a risk, everyone should know it makes no sense to call a strike at any time other than the busiest time of the year.

I fully support the unions and ryanair staff.
    You support without question?
    The pilots haven't shared information with the Mediator of what their actual demands might be.
    "Fórsa are still unable to explain what pay increase they are seeking on top of the 20% increase already agreed," Ryanair said.
    Here is Ryanair's statement that they've been waiting 6 months to hear what the Unions actually want.
    https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ballot-by-pilot-union-forsa-has-support-of-less-than-25-of-ryanair-irish-pilots/

Should tens of thousands of people be inconvenienced and spend on alternate flights(that they won't need) because the pilots can't verbalize exactly what it is that they require.

Last year we had a list of requirements/demands from the Union published by Ryanair as to what they had agreed to and where there wasn't agreement or where the request was not adequately specified or would actually be contrary to the interests of the pilots.
    This year we have nothing. Nothing on IALPA's website and no document on their twitter feed. Nothing but this on forsa's website which couldn't possibly be any more generic; https://www.forsa.ie/ryanair-pilots-to-give-notice-of-industrial-action/
    they say they want a pay rise? hmmm. Can ya elaborate on that if ya don't mind Shop Stewards please.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Regurgitation of press releases it not useful posting (on any thread here). This is not an IR thread, the IR thread was closed due to the same behaviour (amongst other kinds of non-useful posting). This is the last warning

OK. So...Seat 11A.
    My advice to everyone is to avoid it and certainly don't pay a premium for it as you think you'll be getting a window but instead get a bare wall with no view.

You'd think they'd adjust the booking engine so that punters are warned in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

OK. So...Seat 11A.
    My advice to everyone is to avoid it and certainly don't pay a premium for it as you think you'll be getting a window but instead get a bare wall with no view.

You'd think they'd adjust the booking engine so that punters are warned in advance.

Seatguru is every travelers friend. I also really enjoyed Routehappy when they ran their own search engine (they now provide the tech and certain features to a bunch of other providers). Amazes me how little thought many people put into ensuring they end up on a good product in the right seat. But I guess that's why price wins above all else most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

Anyone hear anymore about the planned Dublin strikes? Supposed to be an update today from Unions about dates but nothing.

Guess no news is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Hi. I've a flight at 0630 on Saturday morning. Last time I flew I had to queue for ages at the bag drop for Ryanair thingy, and I'll have to do the same again on Saturday.
    Does anyone know if the queues are still terrible? Just wondering what time to get to the airport at, was hoping 5am would suffice. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Hi. I've a flight at 0630 on Saturday morning. Last time I flew I had to queue for ages at the bag drop for Ryanair thingy, and I'll have to do the same again on Saturday.
    Does anyone know if the queues are still terrible? Just wondering what time to get to the airport at, was hoping 5am would suffice. Thanks.

You can bag drop Friday eve if it's a help to you. Personally it's not a help but for others closer to airport it can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

You can bag drop Friday eve if it's a help to you. Personally it's not a help but for others closer to airport it can be.

its not clear if Ryanair still offer that

cannot find anything current on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Received this on Sunday
    Dear Customer,

Ryanair want to make your airport experience as stress free as possible and are introducing a new customer service initiative. Customers travelling on an early morning flights, up to 09.00am & departing Dublin, can check-in their checked baggage at the airport the evening before their early morning departure. Outlined below are the steps you need to take in order to avail of this service.

• Bag drop desks will be open from 20:00 the evening before your scheduled flight in Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport.

• Customers availing of this service must have checked-in online in advance and have their boarding pass and travel documents with them when checking-in their bags

• If one of more passengers in a booking has a checked bag, one customer may check in all bags on the booking once they have to hand the boarding passes and passports of their travelling companions.

• Baggage will be subject to normal security screening procedures and customers are required to remain in the airport terminal for 15 minutes after the bag has been checked should security have questions in relation to your bags.

• Remember, when packing, don’t pack any essentials in your checked luggage as once checked-in, you will not have access to the bags until you reach your destination.

• All customers must have their boarding passes and travel documentation with them at the boarding gate on the day of travel.

Airline staff will be on hand to help you at the airport should you need any assistance, however if you have any questions in relation to this service please click here to chat with one of our support agents who will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards

Ryanair Customer Service

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Riskymove wrote: »
    its not clear if Ryanair still offer that

cannot find anything current on it?

I flew out to Frankfurt about two weeks ago and got an email about it from Ryanair maybe two days before flying out:

"Dear Customer,

Ryanair want to make your airport experience as stress free as possible and are introducing a new customer service initiative. Customers travelling on an early morning flights, up to 09.00am & departing Dublin, can check-in their checked baggage at the airport the evening before their early morning departure. Outlined below are the steps you need to take in order to avail of this service
    • Bag drop desks will be open from 20:00 the evening before your scheduled flight in Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport.

• Customers availing of this service must have checked-in online in advance and have their boarding pass and travel documents with them when checking-in their bags

• If one of more passengers in a booking has a checked bag, one customer may check in all bags on the booking once they have to hand the boarding passes and passports of their travelling companions.

• Baggage will be subject to normal security screening procedures and customers are required to remain in the airport terminal for 15 minutes after the bag has been checked should security have questions in relation to your bags.

• Remember, when packing, don’t pack any essentials in your checked luggage as once checked-in, you will not have access to the bags until you reach your destination.

• All customers must have their boarding passes and travel documentation with them at the boarding gate on the day of travel.

Airline staff will be on hand to help you at the airport should you need any assistance, however if you have any questions in relation to this service please click here to chat with one of our support agents who will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards

Ryanair Customer Service"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

thanks

nothing to be found in FAQ or website generally about this

I live about 15 min drive so I might be able to do that alright, although I don't see any evidence of being able to do this on their website!
    Oh wait just read the above emails. Anyway turns out it wont be an option for me as wont be able to borrow a car.
    Has anyone had to do this bag drop thing early morning lately? Are the queues ridic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Comhra wrote: »
    Judging by most of the media reports I've seen and heard, majority of the flying public are supporting the pilots and blaming Ryanair for their failure to negotiate meaningfully or show any respect towards their staff.

I don't think this is the case at all. The public have seen Ryanair agree a deal previously with the pilots and know that their pay was increased.
    Pilot action now is just seen in the same light as the Luas and Bus Eireann strikes as attempted leverage by the unions to hold the public as ransom.
    Don't forget that three public does not view pilots the same as minium wage workers.

The public will simply choose other airlines and afterwards Ryanair will simply do a mass sale to regain customers.

I do believe we will see Ryanair more regularly choose bases such as Faro for "commercial" reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

Ryanair cabin crew planning 10 days of strikes in Spanish airports including the day we fly out for our Spanish wedding :mad:

Any idea of how likely this is to go ahead?

Cosle wrote: »
    Ryanair cabin crew planning 10 days of strikes in Spanish airports including the day we fly out for our Spanish wedding :mad:

Any idea of how likely this is to go ahead?

They might be doing you a favour :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Ialpa announced the Irish pilots are to strike for 48 hours from midnight on the 22nd of August

Of course I booked a holiday to Madrid two weeks ago for the 22nd, guess I probably won't have a holiday til next August now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

adam240610 wrote: »
    Ialpa announced the Irish pilots are to strike for 48 hours from midnight on the 22nd of August

Of course I booked a holiday to Madrid two weeks ago for the 22nd, guess I probably won't have a holiday til next August now

It’s only the directly employed pilots. The flight may still operate esp if it’s Spanish based. Is the MAD DUB before or after yours? If before it’s a MAD based plane.

Are Ryanair pilots asking for a 70% pay rise?

Advertisement