Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Dublin ban Burqas and Hijabs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just a thought about another completely unrelated controversy: the recent eviction of squatters from an unoccupied house in central Dublin by a private security firm whose members were unidentifiable and dressed in balaclavas.

Would a law against burkas make actions like that fundamentally illegal? Would not the Gardai who were standing by to "prevent public disorder" not have been compelled to arrest the dodgy guys in balaclavas?

If you really don't like people running round with hidden faces, why accept it from a bunch of ex-military types throwing their weight around?

The 'dodgy guys in balaclavas" were the security guys detailed to evict the illegal squatters.

As far as I know PPE is required where people are at risk through violence or other hazard etc. The headgear is removed as is required. The was a recent case of a Gardai involved in a drugs bust who was not wearing a balaclava - whose photo was put up on Social media. He and his family have experienced harassment and recieved death threats following this.

The difference with head covers worn 24/7* by women (whether they have a choice or otherwise) is that such coverings are permanent.

The guys having to wear balaclavas or other headgear for safety as is the case with motorcycle helmets etc do not compare with the cultural requirements of fundamentalist religous belief except for those who engage in hyperbole.

* Non literal use to describe being obliged to wear same at all times when in public....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

gozunda wrote: »
    The 'dodgy guys in balaclavas" were the security guys detailed to evict the illegal squatters.

As far As I know PPE is required where people are at risk through violence or other hazard etc. The headgear is removed as is required. The was recent case of a Gardai involved in a drugs bust who was not wearing a balaclava - whose photo was put up on Social media. He and his family have experienced harassment and recieved death threats following this.

The difference with head covers worn 24/7 by women (whether they have a choice or otherwise) is that such coverings are permanent.

The guys having to wear balaclavas or other headgear for safety as is the case with motorcycle helmets etc do not compare with the cultural requirements of fundamentalist religous belief except for those who engage in hyperbole.

24/7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Dannyriver wrote: »
    24/7?

Hyperbole
    -everybody is at it...

24/7?

Ah the expert at reducing all discussion to simplistic reductionism!

We've done - geography, discotechs, photography - we will now have to look at the use of the differences between descriptive and literal language for time

:rolleyes:

Hyperbole
    -everybody is at it...

The dearth of knowledge displayed regarding the Arab world that I've been observing here leads me to believe that he really believes it :eek:

• Advertisement

The dearth of knowledge displayed regarding the Arab world that I've been observing here leads me to believe that he really believes it

As again we have self declared expertise on the "Arab World" that doesn't accept that any one else in the discusion has any first hand experience of same :rolleyes:

I think this may also be relevant ...

The Authority Fallacy ...

A (claims to be) an authority on a particular topic

A says something about that topic

A (thinks he) is (absolutely) correct

The dearth of knowledge displayed regarding the Arab world that I've been observing here leads me to believe that he really believes it :eek:

In fairness Danny, i think you can do better than the following:
    24/7?

....not your finest work.

Notwithstanding the "Arab world" is not a homogenous culture, where your supreme authority draws on your personal experience of the quintessential "Arabness"

:)

Ah the expert at reducing all discussion to simplistic reductionism!

We've done - geography, discotechs, photography - we will now have to look at the use of the differences between descriptive and literal language for time

:rolleyes:

Apologies but I ve always believed effective communication should be in the language of the receiver ;)

In fairness Danny, i think you can do better than the following:

....not your finest work.

Notwithstanding the "Arab world" is not a homogenous culture, where your supreme authority draws on your personal experience of the quintessential "Arabness"

:)

Very much aware of that thank you Roger :(:(

Apologies but I ve always believed effective communication should be in the language of the receiver ;)

What's that a receiver? You want to phone me? No offence but no thanks :D

• Advertisement

A language they understand !

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I have been thinking about this topic for quite some time now and have yet to make a real judgement on what truly would be a correct answer.

I think the fact that there are about 8 Muslims in the entire country means that this is a non-issue, but sure people love getting riled up over nothing, so let's make a thread on it

What's that a receiver? You want to phone me? No offence but no thanks :D

I rest my case

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I think the fact that there are about 8 Muslims in the entire country means that this is a non-issue, but sure people love getting riled up over nothing, so let's make a thread on it

Ah sure sorry we never knew! Make sure to send a letter to the CSO and let them know that their figures according to Census 2016 where 63,400 people self declared their religion as Islam are obviously wrong ;) ...

I rest my case

Grand so. Put it beside the phone so you can find it next time ;)

Ah sure sorry we never knew! Make sure to send a letter to the CSO and let them know that their figures according to Census 2016 where 63,400 people self declared their religion as Islam are obviously wrong ;) ...

Grossly missing my point there

I've never seen a full face Niqab in Ireland, have you?

To reiterate, it's hardly a pressing issue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nope does not bother me.
    I would be more offended by backwards baseball hats, stupid looking skinny jeans that show off bandy little legs, oh and tracksuits on non-athlete types.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I have. In a county Galway town a number of years back.

It’s colour was all blue from head to toe.

Very strange sight tbh.

Grossly missing my point there I've never seen a full face Niqab in Ireland, have you?To reiterate, it's hardly a pressing issue

The reply was to your point exactly. As to your first question - yes indeed - I certainly have. Second question - depends whether gender based oppression and related issues bothers you I suppose. Anyway take a look through the thread it's not just about 'full face niqabs' btw ... :rolleyes:

yes indeed - I certainly have.

Nah
    related issues bothers you ...

Actually nope, not interested in non-issues that bother internet types, like full face garb and veils in Ireland

But call me back when it's actually an issue ;)

• Advertisement

Nah
    Actually nope, not interested in non-issues that bother internet types, like full face garb and veils in IrelandBut call me back when it's actually an issue ;)

So why bother commenting on de internet so? :pac:

Don't think anyone will be bothered giving to you a call one way or the other ...

It's a 66 page thread on mostly nothing, maybe if someone pointed it out a little earlier

Grossly missing my point there

To reiterate, it's hardly a pressing issue

Daily dude.

It's a 66 page thread on mostly nothing, maybe if someone pointed it out a little earlier

For some one claiming to have no interest in the topic - you're sure doing a lot of hanging out and commenting :rolleyes:

Conspiracy theories and politics =>

Itd a 66 page discussion thread on a theoretical question, something I cant see us but follow the UK example.

There's pros and cons, people offering their opinion as they see fit. Each opinion as valid as the other, whether you disagree with it or not. I don't agree with Danny for example, but I respect his opinion.

Thanks for your contribution though. I for one really appreciate the time you took to verbalize yours. I'll give you a thanks, might encourage more profund utterances in a discussion thread you don't seem to give a proverbial, but willing to contribute. Fair play. Place be very dull otherwise

On a mobile but 4 posts already in two pages?
    That's prolific.
    Suggests someone "doth profess their innocence too much"

Least any one believes this issue is only of concern to those in Ireland ...

This from the recent B Johnson debate in the UK..
    Imam Taj Hargey, from the Oxford Islamic Congregation branded the burqa a 'hideous tribal ninja-like garment' and said its has 'no Koranic legitimacy'. Mr Hargey warned that the burqa has become trendy among more militants Islamists who peddle views which can be a gateway for religious extremism.

He urged the UK to follow in the footsteps of other European countries like France and Denmark and ban the burqa.

He added: 'The burqa and niqab are hideous tribal ninja-like garments that are pre-Islamic, non-Koranic and therefore un-Muslim. Although this deliberate identity-concealing contraption is banned at the Kaaba in Mecca it is permitted in Britain, thus precipitating security risks, accelerating vitamin D deficiency, endorsing gender-inequality and inhibiting community cohesion.'

He said that some backward-looking elements in the Muslim community have managed to persuade may in British society that it is in the Islamic faith for women to cover their faces.

But he said this must be challenged in Britain and that the state should step in to stop it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6044481/Senior-British-Imam-backs-Boris-Johnson-burqa-row.html

Well that's a new one, vitamin D defficiency!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Yes I agree. We should FORCE woman to do as we tell them. It's the only way they will learn. Oppression from all sides.

• Advertisement

Jesus , Mary and Joseph wait until they all have kids the place will be overrun with the feckers, they ll be putting forward candidates for government ,looking for civil rights, in the Dail, ****ing legislating, banning bacon, setting up rape gangs , not allowing anyone to drink, allah left right and centre. Mosques on every corner, Mullah's coming out of our ears. We'll be ghettoized worse than Sweden, All out Sharia law I tell you. Gozunda s right we need to sort out the human rights of these women immediately. The Burka must go, and it must go now.

Advertisement