Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Dublin ban Burqas and Hijabs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Danzy wrote: »
    Are they?

Most seem to view it the same as a person who wears a Swastika T shirt.

They may be alright people but they are marking themselves as being committed proponents of militant regressivism and adhering to a belief set that is nearly always at odds with basic human rights and dignity.

In YOUR extremist view..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Graces7 wrote: »
    That rules most of us out then!
    Including most old wans like me. All but housebound, living alone.

I would add someone who does not discriminate or judge another person because their way of life/dress etc is different . Especially when they have no idea what that way of life means. Whose mind and heart are open. To whom "different"is not a threat.

Raising kids is a huge " contribution to society"

I lived in a town here where there were families in the same supermarket, the women fully veiled, with their little ones. We chatted easily. Eyes are very expressive.

Hopefully the next generation will get this right.

No, properly raising good kids is - just "kids" is not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Allowing that not all are forced to wear a burka, but for the ones who are.
    How do we either engage with these women, or help those who need helping?

I doubt engaging with the men would work.

I would disagree, engaging with their entire family, and their religious community, is paramount to help those women.

What I would be in favour of would be mandatory education. And not just education on what we do here in Ireland, but much more importantly on what other Muslims in other countries do, think, and believe.

Some posters have quite rightly pointed out that niqab and burqa are not something provisioned by Islam at all. They are cultural clothes that have their origin in local traditions that are mixed up with Islam. Knowledge about that and about the various different interpretations and flavours of Islam that exist in the world now, and have existed in the past, may do a lot to address people's notions of what it actually is to be Muslim, and how they want to engage with that.

But you can't just tell the women that, particularly if it's their family putting them under such pressures. It needs to be addressed to all involved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Are they?

They may be alright people but they are marking themselves as being committed proponents of militant regressivism and adhering to a belief set that is nearly always at odds with basic human rights and dignity.

So now the suggestion is to outlaw swatiska T-Shirts?

Just for the record, while seeing someone wear one would make me instantly take a strong dislike to that person based on the message they're sending, I still would oppose legislation to ban them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Got zero issues with the Hijab, the Burka on the other hand... so inconsiderate of my ninjaphobia!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Samsong

Can I keep my make America great again hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Hijab simply no, it's a headscarf.

Burqa, yes. It's akin to a balaclava.
    Why is a burqa allowed but not a balaclava?
    If it's religious reasons, what's stopping me creating my own beliefs where a balaclava is my garb of choice.

I'm all for embracing other cultures but there are parts that do not necessarily fit with ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Caliden wrote: »

If it's religious reasons, what's stopping me creating my own beliefs where a balaclava is my garb of choice.

I'm all for embracing other cultures but there are parts that do not necessarily fit with ours.

Balaclavas are allowed. I mean you'd have to have had your head in the sand not to see the pictures of two men in balaclavas involved in the eviction in Frederick St. Do you think they have a balaclava licence or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Balaclavas are allowed. I mean you'd have to have had your head in the sand not to see the pictures of two men in balaclavas involved in the eviction in Frederick St. Do you think they have a balaclava licence or something?

How far would you think I'd get walking down o'Connell st with a balaclava on my head..?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

stratowide wrote: »
    How far would you think I'd get walking down o'Connell st with a balaclava on my head..?

Have often done it in middle of winter on way to various construction sites.

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »

Where is a balaclava not allowed?
    You do know you can wear one right?

All the way?

Why do people think balaclavas cannot be worn?
    Thankfully our government don't tell us what we can & cannot wear....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not this tired "argument" again, ironically thanked by its most frequent proponent in the last few pages (Who also claimed to be "done with the thread").
    Top stuff lads.

well at least you admit your views are down to basic Islamophobia. I was trying to ascribe a positive, if very misguided, slant to your views. thank you for disabusing me of that.

Have often done it in middle of winter on way to various construction sites.

I work in maintenance.So if I wear my navy overalls and black balaclava around town I will eventually be reported and stopped by Gardai.
    Will I get served in a shop or pub..?

Not against the law to do so...bu not religious enough either to not get hassled.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Are they?

Someone who wears a burqa or hijab is a proponent of a military force?

Your view lacks nuance. I have no doubt that there's some that do have those beliefs. There's a huge range of reasons why people wear one and a huge range of beliefs among the wearers. Saying that they are all like that is like saying that anyone who wears an american flag tee shirt is a fan of carpet bombing. Sure there's going to a few that do but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The whole way. You probably wouldn't get into a bank but that's a different matter. I mentioned earlier in the thread about halloween. On that weekend you'll see loads of people walking around town with masks and face coverings. Face covering isn't illegal. It's perfectly legal. It can be restricted in certain places. Banks, airport security etc. And that's fair enough. They are private places with a security requirement.

Grayson wrote: »
    The whole way. You probably wouldn't get into a bank but that's a different matter. I mentioned earlier in the thread about halloween. On that weekend you'll see loads of people walking around town with masks and face coverings. Face covering isn't illegal. It's perfectly legal. It can be restricted in certain places. Banks, airport security etc. And that's fair enough. They are private places with a security requirement.

I have no problem with people wearing whatever they want.Couldn't care less really.

If a woman wearing a Burka can walk into a bank hassle free and I get stopped when I wear my balaclava then I have an issue.Both hide the face.If the balaclava has connotation's with bank robberies then picture a scarf instead.

Why should someone's religious/cultural beliefs get preferential treatment.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Not this tired "argument" again, ironically thanked by its most frequent proponent in the last few pages (Who also claimed to be "done with the thread").
    Top stuff lads.

You keeping an eye on me now as well Roger yeah?

Lets just say I exercised my right to change my mind.. and while I'm here let me add that Your comment underlined below really shows you for what you are...and fair play to Shenshen for luring you away from your rationalizing to reveal the authoritarian beneath the 'this is about women's rights bollix' you ve been peddling. A right little Cardinal Cullen with your 'fully engaged participant in society' Wouldn't everything be so much easier if we were all just good boys and girls .. life is a tad more complicated than that Roger and people are a lot more complex and one person's contributing member might be another's tyrant. Some of the most important people in history would have failed your 'fully engaged participant in society' model you do know that yes. I'll leave it there below for anyone who missed it.

A fully engaged participant I'd regard as someone who can hold a conversation with anyone else in society, irrespective of their sex and martial status, hold down a job should they so wish, who can be regarded as a complete person.in their own right, not an object. Who can enjoy the company of the opposite sex in social, work and leisure settings.Someone who isnt regarded as a second class citizen by the ideology she subscribes to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

well at least you admit your views are down to basic Islamophobia. I was trying to ascribe a positive, if very misguided, slant to your views. thank you for disabusing me of that.

Nothing of the sort sport! Wrong as Molls bell. Continue to disabuse yourself..

I'm interpreting your use of "Islamophobe" as me being anti Muslim...? Am I right?
    So I'd better rip up the probabation report I'm completing for HR on one of my recent recruits, to take her off probabation, who I interviewd and hired. A Muslim. Didnt bother me then, doesnt now.
    When I get home, I'd better kick the two Palestinian kids off the Xbox with mine, ban them from playing FIFA 17 (i know) or Minecraft in my home... better stop teaching the young lad how to hold a Hurley...take back the bike I gave him... better cancel the invitation to the couple to call up Saturday, (fcuk I'll miss the delicious cinnamon buns)...stop the girls playing with their LOL dolls.
    Actually, now I think of it, i think one of the kids I train in soccer might be Muslim, his dad usually drops him, and he has a brown face, he must be Muslim...

Oh it's a clever little neologism all right. Shut down any criticism of your sacred cow, especially when you're afraid to fuly commit to using "Muslimophobe" because you know in your heart you're wrong as fcuk. "Humpty Dumpty" language as Salman Rushdie called it. A nonsense word. (Ironically that a burqa not even originally Islamic being wholly lost on you)

But
    if you're using it as tarring me as being against the Islamisization of Europe, you'd probably be correct. I've no wish to live in an Islamic "republic". I doubt you have either. Maybe you do. If not we're both Islamophobes...

Which context are you using it in? You're probably not even sure. Maybe you dont know the difference. But when people reach for their goto "insult" , it simply reveals their whole argument as being built on sand, no foundation, susceptible to collapse, predicated on the assumption if someone else expresses an opinion other than the one they cling to, they're either a bigot or a racist. Or both. "An Islamophobe".
    GTFO, you're out of your depth.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    You keeping an eye on me now as well Roger yeah?

Lets just say I exercised my right to change my mind.. and while I'm here let me add that Your comment underlined below really shows you for what you are...and fair play to Shenshen for luring you away from your rationalizing to reveal the authoritarian beneath the 'this is about women's rights bollix' you ve been peddling. A right little Cardinal Cullen with your 'fully engaged participant in society' Wouldn't everything be so much easier if we were all just good boys and girls .. life is a tad more complicated than that Roger and people are a lot more complex and one person's contributing member might be another's tyrant. Some of the most important people in history would have failed your 'fully engaged participant in society' model you do know that yes. I'll leave it there below for anyone who missed it.

A fully engaged participant I'd regard as someone who can hold a conversation with anyone else in society, irrespective of their sex and martial status, hold down a job should they so wish, who can be regarded as a complete person.in their own right, not an object. Who can enjoy the company of the opposite sex in social, work and leisure settings.Someone who isnt regarded as a second class citizen by the ideology she subscribes to.

And chapeau to you for changing your mind. I'm glad you stayed, your exit would have been the threads loss...

So any way back to your latest contribution.
    My "comment below showed me for what I am"
    Indeed. So what am I?
    Notwithstanding, you omitted a pertinent little detail that suggests the list is not exhaustive, "things like that" suggests an oppurtunity for further discussion. Am I demanding too much? I'd love to know what there is tyraniccal? I'd be sure to never again suggest an ability to freely talk to someone of the opposite sex is a desirable component of a functional and egalitarian society. Please point out the errors in my train of thought...

So what would you regard as a fully engaged participant in society? How a woman in a burka fulfils these criteria...

Feel free to add/ amend my nonexhaustive list of examples. I'd be very interested to see what I've gotten wrong, I'm certainly amenable to change my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I work in maintenance.So if I wear my navy overalls and black balaclava around town I will eventually be reported and stopped by Gardai.
    Will I get served in a shop or pub..?

Not against the law to do so...bu not religious enough either to not get hassled.

You may be stopped. You still aren't committing a crime and there is nothing the Gardaí can do other than check your ID.

I'm interpreting your use of "Islamophobe" as me being anti Muslim...? Am I right?
    So I'd better rip up the probabation report I'm completing for HR on one of my recent recruits, to take her off probabation, who I interviewd and hired. A Muslim. Didnt bother me then, doesnt now.
    When I get home, I'd better kick the two Palestinian kids off the Xbox with mine, ban them from playing FIFA 17 (i know) or Minecraft in my home... better stop teaching the young lad how to hold a Hurley...take back the bike I gave him... better cancel the invitation to the couple to call up Saturday, (fcuk I'll miss the delicious cinnamon buns)...stop the girls playing with their LOL dolls.
    Actually, now I think of it, i think one of the kids I train in soccer might be Muslim, his dad usually drops him, and he has a brown face, he must be Muslim...

Now you just look silly. You seem to be pushing this idea that being bigoted requires some overt aggressive stance against people, a physical revulsion to them even. Do you think being racist requires you to be a member of the KKK or spit on every black person you see or do you accept that it can exist in more subtle and directed behaviour?

• Advertisement

Oh it's a clever little neologism all right. Shut down any criticism of your sacred cow, especially when you're afraid to fuly commit to using "Muslimophobe" because you know in your heart you're wrong as fcuk. "Humpty Dumpty" language as Salman Rushdie called it. A nonsense word. (Ironically that a burqa not even originally Islamic being wholly lost on you)

But
    if you're using it as tarring me as being against the Islamisization of Europe, you'd probably be correct. I've no wish to live in an Islamic "republic". I doubt you have either. Maybe you do. If not we're both Islamophobes...

Which context are you using it in? You're probably not even sure. Maybe you dont know the difference. But when people reach for their goto "insult" , it simply reveals their whole argument as being built on sand, no foundation, susceptible to collapse, predicated on the assumption if someone else expresses an opinion other than the one they cling to, they're either a bigot or a racist. Or both. "An Islamophobe".
    GTFO, you're out of your depth.

And chapeau to you for changing your mind. I'm glad you stayed, your exit would have been the threads loss...

So any way back to your latest contribution.
    My "comment below showed me for what I am"
    Indeed. So what am I?
    Notwithstanding, you omitted a pertinent little detail that suggests the list is not exhaustive, "things like that" suggests an oppurtunity for further discussion. Am I demanding too much? I'd love to know what there is tyraniccal? I'd be sure to never again suggest an ability to freely talk to someone of the opposite sex is a desirable component of a functional and egalitarian society. Please point out the errors in my train of thought...

So what would you regard as a fully engaged participant in society? How a woman in a burka fulfils these criteria...

Feel free to add/ amend my nonexhaustive list of examples. I'd be very interested to see what I've gotten wrong, I'm certainly amenable to change my view.

I'll ignore the vitriol at the start and just comment on the part in bold. You assume that the other person wants to talk to you. that they are somehow obliged to do so. People are free to talk (or not talk) to whoever they want. Wearing a niqab sends the message that the women does not want to talk to members of the opposite sex. You seem to think that this is undesirable to society. A persons free choice is undesirable to society. Why dont you go have a think about that.

I'll ignore the vitriol at the start and just comment on the part in bold. You assume that the other person wants to talk to you. that they are somehow obliged to do so. People are free to talk (or not talk) to whoever they want. Wearing a niqab sends the message that the women does not want to talk to members of the opposite sex. You seem to think that this is undesirable to society. A persons free choice is undesirable to society. Why dont you go have a think about that.

Mother of god.
    Ignore the part you're so wrong and pulled up on your bu115hit.
    Anyway.

I'm assuming nothing. No one is obliged to take to me. If they dont want to talk to me, I wont be offended. Nor am I too offended if they think I and all other men, might be a bit rapey, so they'd better cover everything up in case we can't control our urges. Anyone could look at men and think we're a bit rapey. Nor do I have too much of an issue with the ID thing. Although I can see why some Muslim countries have banned them (So surely that proves its not an anti Muslim position. Hint. It's an anti extremism thing!)

I just have an issue with a barrier to face to face
    communications, and an overt symbol that the person wearing it does not want to engage in society, but will take that which society has to offer, but most importantly, because its a symbol and a tool of the oppression of millions of women by men, who incidentally in some countries are currently campaigning to get rid of the less prescriptive hijab. If they feel thus about a hijab, how must they feel about a burka?
    When you look at the mindset and ideology of those who prescribe their wearing, I absolutely reject it and all it entails. Hence I reject the burka and would support a ban.

If only it was as simple as "maybe the women dont want to talk to members of the opposite sex". Can you comprehend that maybe members of the opposite sex, sometimes within the same family, are not allowed talk to her? That her husband/brother forbids it until a marriage is arranged. Might not even be her choice. Why only the women ? If members of the opposite sex shouldnt talk to each other, why don't both sexes wear a burka. Why are the men so freely allowed mix with members of the opposite sex.
    No this argument fails.

The only reason to voluntarily wear one is to segregate yourself from society, and demonstrate you hold a most repugnant ideology dear. An ideology that rejects fundamental values the society which you expect to embrace yours, and to accept your explicit rejection of theirs.. That's assuming it's a choice. There may well be some. But I suspect, many do not have a choice.

You see, I dont think I'm better than them. I'm not arrogant enough to assume we need to demonstrate how liberal we are, and how tolerant we are of such ideology, because we're enlightened westerners, theres too much of a whiff of a colonial superiority complex in that.

All people can say in support of not banning it, is we shouldnt tell women what to wear. This isnt a scarf, or a sweater. This is whether we truly believe in equality of sexes, and what we are willing to sacrifice to ensure all women are free to enjoy that which society offers, should they so wish.
    If only one women does not want to wear it, by tolerating it, you've condoned her oppression.
    If you really really want to wear it, wear it at home. Where your business is your own. Where no one cares.

Mother of god.
    Anyway.

I'm assuming nothing. No one is obliged to take to me. If they dont want to talk to me, I wont be offended. Nor am I too offended if they think I and all other men, might be a bit rapey, so they'd better cover everything up in case we can't control our urges. Anyone could look at men and think we're a bit rapey. Nor do I have too much of an issue with the ID thing. Although I can see why some Muslim countries have banned them (So surely that proves its not an anti Muslim position. Hint. It's an anti extremism thing!)

communications, and an overt symbol that the person wearing it does not want to engage in society, but will take that which society has to offer, but most importantly, because its a symbol and a tool of the oppression of millions of women by men, who incidentally in some countries are currently campaigning to get rid of the less prescriptive hijab. If they feel thus about a hijab, how must they feel about a burka?
    When you look at the mindset and ideology of those who prescribe their wearing, I absolutely reject it and all it entails. Hence I reject the burka and would support a ban.

If only it was as simple as "maybe the women dont want to talk to members of the opposite sex". Can you comprehend that maybe members of the opposite sex, sometimes within the same family, are not allowed talk to her? That her husband/brother forbids it until a marriage is arranged. Might not even be her choice. Why only the women ? If members of the opposite sex shouldnt talk to each other, why don't both sexes wear a burka. Why are the men so freely allowed mix with members of the opposite sex.
    No this argument fails.

The only reason to voluntarily wear one is to segregate yourself from society, and demonstrate you hold a most repugnant ideology dear. An ideology that rejects fundamental values the society which you expect to embrace yours, and to accept your explicit rejection of theirs.. That's assuming it's a choice. There may well be some. But I suspect, many do not have a choice.

You see, I dont think I'm better than them. I'm not arrogant enough to assume we need to demonstrate how liberal we are, and how tolerant we are of such ideology, because we're enlightened westerners, theres too much of a whiff of a colonial superiority complex in that.

All people can say in support of not banning it, is we shouldnt tell women what to wear. This isnt a scarf, or a sweater. This is whether we truly believe in equality of sexes, and what we are willing to sacrifice to ensure all women are free to enjoy that which society offers, should they so wish.
    If only one women does not want to wear it, by tolerating it, you've condoned her oppression.
    If you really really want to wear it, wear it at home. Where your business is your own. Where no one cares.

So you're a feminist now as well? bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Again, I ask,
    Why should a women from here be under Soooo much pressure to Not wear a, say Bikini in a Muslim state, but Then force the Bhurkha in a Non-Muslim state to be permitted?
    How would you feel if your sister/cousin/daughter was arrested and whipped for wearing such Revealing clothing? Would you agree with allowing Muslim Culture upon us then?

Now you just look silly. You seem to be pushing this idea that being bigoted requires some overt aggressive stance against people, a physical revulsion to them even. Do you think being racist requires you to be a member of the KKK or spit on every black person you see or do you accept that it can exist in more subtle and directed behaviour?

Just to clarify, because there's a danger I'm after missing your point in suggesting I'm a bigot because I'm not overt in my bigotry.

You think I'm a bigot because I have a view on an extremist ideology of a religon (setting aside its geographical origin), that members within the same religon themselves reject.

So a Muslim who thinks a burka should be banned (as I am arguing here) is an anti Muslim bigot...
    That surely is the pinnacle of your foolish utterances, [the ne plus ultra...

I cant believe you've exposed yourself this badly
    You were doing so well. Anyone associated with that post should be embarrassed. I'm scarlet for you.
    I suggest you withdraw from the field, you've soiled your own armour, figuratively speaking.
    Regroup. Come back when I've forgotten.

Again, I ask,
    Why should a women from here be under Soooo much pressure to Not wear a, say Bikini in a Muslim state, but Then force the Bhurkha in a Non-Muslim state to be permitted?
    How would you feel if your sister/cousin/daughter was arrested and whipped for wearing such Revealing clothing? Would you agree with allowing Muslim Culture upon us then?

How does one force the burqa to be be permitted? You mean we have not specifically banned it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is actually really , if you will pardon the expression, none of your business.

You are not a woman, you are not Muslim. Your views are based on YOUR culture .

Same as when any conquering nation has moved into a new country. Out go social mores and customs that are of that country, by force if need be, and in comes an outside alien oppression.

You have no idea what Muslim women think and feel. They certainly would not want an outside alien male deciding how they should be living and dressing. The sheer... AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! You have no idea with your superimposing of western ideas on life .

And you invoke, Mary, Mother of God....
    Mother of god.
    Anyway.

No this argument fails.

So you're a feminist now as well? bloody hell.

Stunning rejoinder.
    10/10.
    There's no comeback to that.

I can console myself at least I'm not being accused of not giving a fcuk about womens issues.
    Every cloud and all that.

Stunning rejoinder.
    10/10.
    There's no comeback to that.

I can console myself at least I'm not being accused of not giving a fcuk about womens issues.
    Every cloud and all that.

well i'm sure you think you do but in reality you only do for the most patronising of reasons. And even that is assuming you do give a fcuk and it's not just another excuse to have a pop at islam.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    This is actually really , if you will pardon the expression, none of your business.

You are not a woman, you are not Muslim. Your views are based on YOUR culture .

Same as when any conquering nation has moved into a new country. Out go social mores and customs that are of that country, by force if need be, and in comes an outside alien oppression.

You have no idea what Muslim women think and feel. They certainly would not want an outside alien male deciding how they should be living and dressing. The sheer... AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! You have no idea with your superimposing of western ideas on life .

And you invoke, Mary, Mother of God....

Graces,
    If you're basing an argument on something being none of my business, because I'm neither a women or a Muslim, that argument can be used in any circumstances.
    Luas drivers, Donald Trump, priests and popes, Bitcoin etc.

I had you pegged as a mature lady, in a rural setting loved and beloved of cats and dogs. Should I include arbiter of discourse and contributors, of who is entitled to post and what opinions one should hold?

Advertisement