Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A really positive showing tonight and although it would have been a great result to get 5 points out of it I was just pure relieved when Niyi ran in under the posts when it looked like we might have let a really poor Scarlets team back in.

It's surely never been less controversial to suggest Carty could get capped in Autumn than it is now. Absolutely immense this season. The confidence dents he used to get from poor tactical kicks he used to get seem to be completely reversed to the point that once he puts in a bad kick he is near pristine for the remainder. His work ethic is second to none and his link-up play is just what Schmidt and Co. would really be please with.

Also thought it was Marmion's best performance in a long time. He was properly up for it and making great breaks all night. Hopefully Blade's start to the season has lit a fire under him.

SOBII was fantastic. His break for the last try was the definition of clutch. Mammoth defending all day.

Dillane was looking lively too. Probably would've caused mayhem off the bench in the second half if Thornbury didn't get injured so early.

Bundee adds so much to our attack. It's a great shame for Connacht that his gametime will be significantly decreased per player welfare but it's a joy to see him succeed at international level.

I don't think Copeland set the world alight on his first proper outing but if he can keep his fitness and get a bit more match sharpness into him it could be a lovely battle for number 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-scarlets-pro14-galway-match-report-4249694-Sep2018/

That's the second time the 42 have pushed this narrative which seems totally unfounded.

What are they at?

it was totally expected from the management that we wouldn't see Bundee until the end of September, when he goes off to get married at the end of this year are they also going to push this narrative

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-scarlets-pro14-galway-match-report-4249694-Sep2018/

That's the second time the 42 have pushed this narrative which seems totally unfounded.

What are they at?

Sowing the seeds for the "Bundee to Leinster" rumours that they milk 6,254 clickbait articles out of...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

What are they at?

I'm sure there is an agenda there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Thought Marmion was brilliant -with McGrath and Cooney playing well he needed a big first start to the season, especially with Joe watching, and by gawd he delivered it. Tackled like a man possesed

Marmion's greatest fault is that he has come through in the same generation as Conor Murray. Were it not for CM then he would be the Scrum Half of choice for Ireland yet now now we have pretenders for his position on the subs bench, unthinkable a generation ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Didn't get to watch the match back til after but thought Buckley deserved a mention too. Made a nuisance of himself at the breakdown and some lovely passing both from the base of the ruck and in open play. Not often you see a prop getting the ball around the 15 and going for the skip pass out to the wing and executing it all beautifully at pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Very good result yesterday, would go full strength against Leinster at home and then rotate slightly over the ulster away and European matches

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Very good result yesterday, would go full strength against Leinster at home and then rotate slightly over the ulster away and European matches
    Copeland/Boyle/Fainga'a (+McKeon due early October) allow us backrow rotation.
    Props are the main issue, we're light, not even a 7th prop...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Marmion's greatest fault is that he has come through in the same generation as Conor Murray. Were it not for CM then he would be the Scrum Half of choice for Ireland yet now now we have pretenders for his position on the subs bench, unthinkable a generation ago.

IMO his greatest fault is his passing off his left hand, it was better yesterday but he still hits the inside shoulder of the receiver too often. He had a very good game yesterday, his decision making, support running, and defence were excellent as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Would agree with this, beat Leinster and we're in great shape regardless of The game in Belfast and we can hopefully afford a lot of rotation at home to Bordeaux. Hard to know with the Sale game? do you go all out or keep players wrapped up on anticipation of a huge game with Ospreys the following week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

connachta wrote: »
    Copeland/Boyle/Fainga'a (+McKeon due early October) allow us backrow rotation.
    Props are the main issue, we're light, not even a 7th prop...

I thought before the game that Copeland and O’Brien were playing for one place against Leinster, with one making way for Boyle. With that said, I’d go SOB/Butler/Boyle, with Fainga’a to come in if Butler needs a rest.

The Friend Zone
    For Leinster I’d start sob/butler/Boyle with faingaa on bench injury permitting then for ulster Boyle/faingaa/Copeland starting and who ever on the bench.

Home games should be the priority in both competitions. There’s depth in the squad now to allow for small rotations to keep things fresh for the away games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Seen a few comments around the place about how Reece is going to be great competition for Healy/Kelleher/Niyi which I absolutely hope happens. That said you'd nearly forget Rory Scholes is still on the books. Poor lad it really hasn't worked out for him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Seen a few comments around the place about how Reece is going to be great competition for Healy/Kelleher/Niyi which I absolutely hope happens. That said you'd nearly forget Rory Scholes is still on the books. Poor lad it really hasn't worked out for him here.

Is he injured? He's not getting much of a run with the eagles even.
    What did people think of the Thornbury injury? Doubt anything broken as he was able to move it with the physio on the pitch. He was in the dressing room after also. After Cannon, who do we have? Gallagher and the lad we got from Leicester I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me

Scholes got badly injured in the Dragons A away game I heard, did his knee
    Reece looks class tbf
    We'll inevitably get injuries so can do with having 5 good options for the back 3 to rotate
    macslash wrote: »
    What did people think of the Thornbury injury? Doubt anything broken as he was able to move it with the physio on the pitch. He was in the dressing room after also. After Cannon, who do we have? Gallagher and the lad we got from Leicester I guess

Seemed to be his shoulder and Gavin does have a history of Shoulder Injuries, hopefully it's nothing reaccuring
    Depth wise we have Clafferty, Gallagher and Joe after Cannon.

Already excited for the game against Leinster on Saturday.
    What are the chances of Robbie playing? Has he played against us since he moved to Leinster? I dont think he has. He definitely hasn't played in either game in the Sportsground.
    I'd love to see him get one run out against us in Galway before he comes home in the summer

Already excited for the game against Leinster on Saturday.
    What are the chances of Robbie playing? Has he played against us since he moved to Leinster? I dont think he has. He definitely hasn't played in either game in the Sportsground.
    I'd love to see him get one run out against us in Galway before he comes home in the summer

Wrong thread for trolling the Leinster fans... ;)

Mul, it's over
    Must be almost time for a build up thread.
    ventilator-mens-headguard-red-p63549-13042_zoom.jpg

462134.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    462134.png

;)
    462135.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Obligatory Swifty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    inpho_01277311_rdax_650x364_80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    inpho_01277311_rdax_650x364_80.jpg

When's the loan deal up again? Had to go help the cousins in the east after Edinburgh, fair play to him.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

I can't see Cullen risking any of the big names for this game. I'd expect Leinster to do what they always do for these Connaught games and send a fringe XV. Wouldn't mind getting another look at O'Sullivan and maybe even R.Kelleher.

The Friend Zone
    its_phil wrote: »
    When's the loan deal up again? Had to go help the cousins in the east after Edinburgh, fair play to him.

:pac:

Up after the World Cup I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

macslash wrote: »

Is he injured? He's not getting much of a run with the eagles even.
    Yes, and Claffey + Copeland and SOB who can cover 19 if needed too. We're absolutely filled. Compared to the Props situation with only 2 undisputed players...

Robbo wrote: »

Bookmarked. My favourite try of all time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

DonVito wrote: »
    I can't see Cullen risking any of the big names for this game. I'd expect Leinster to do what they always do for these Connaught games and send a fringe XV. Wouldn't mind getting another look at O'Sullivan and maybe even R.Kelleher.

any chance the older brother could convince the younger brother to move west, looks a top prospect.

we really need to sort our Kick-return especially getting the positioning and call receiving the kick-off. Leinster will have noted this and target this part of our game.

typhoony wrote: »
    any chance the older brother could convince the younger brother to move west, looks a top prospect.

we really need to sort our Kick-return especially getting the positioning and call receiving the kick-off. Leinster will have noted this and target this part of our game.

Yes, we really miss Muldoon's marshalling of receiving the kick-off. I'm not sure about this new tactic of lifting backs to catch high ball, they don't seem to have got the co-ordination right so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Yes, we really miss Muldoon's marshalling of receiving the kick-off. I'm not sure about this new tactic of lifting backs to catch high ball, they don't seem to have got the co-ordination right so far.

I think that is a tactic you see a bit of in 7's but we don't seem to be getting the hang of it at all. Have been very poor at receiving the majority of kickoffs in the last couple of games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement