Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »
    I think that is a tactic you see a bit of in 7's but we don't seem to be getting the hang of it at all. Have been very poor at receiving the majority of kickoffs in the last couple of games.

Think it’s been a real fault last couple of years tbh. It needs sorting, seem to gift opposition points straight after putting all the hard work into scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    DonVito wrote: »
    I can't see Cullen risking any of the big names for this game. I'd expect Leinster to do what they always do for these Connaught games and send a fringe XV. Wouldn't mind getting another look at O'Sullivan and maybe even R.Kelleher.

TRIGGERED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    DonVito wrote: »
    I can't see Cullen risking any of the big names for this game. I'd expect Leinster to do what they always do for these Connaught games and send a fringe XV. Wouldn't mind getting another look at O'Sullivan and maybe even R.Kelleher.

Yeah, Connaught always raise their game when we visit the Showgrounds, better to send the fringe guys.

Hopefully we can exploit the unrest in their camp arising from Bundee's unauthorized trip to NZ during preseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    I think that is a tactic you see a bit of in 7's but we don't seem to be getting the hang of it at all. Have been very poor at receiving the majority of kickoffs in the last couple of games years.

FTFY. It's been a problem for ages. Every season we drop a bollock at the restarts for the last 5-6 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Bookmarked. My favourite try of all time...

I prefer Kearney tackling Marmions ghost personally

https://twitter.com/ConnachtCows/status/1044312619837005824

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Whats peoples views on Jack Carty, should he get a chance with the Irish team? its a pity the wolfhounds dont play any more, it was a good opportunity for guys to get a go on the international stage

The Friend Zone
    Whats peoples views on Jack Carty, should he get a chance with the Irish team? its a pity the wolfhounds dont play any more, it was a good opportunity for guys to get a go on the international stage

If he can keep up the form he’s in he should be in the Irish squad for November. Having Richie Murphy down with him last week is a big sign he’s being seriously looked at

If you ignore his shots at goal for the past 2 seasons, he has played consistently very well. His play with ball in hand, and his tackling has been very good.
    His kicking, unfortunately has been inconsistent. Playing in the Sportsground doesn't help him.
    So far this season, he looks to have stepped up his game another notch. He does seem to be a bit of a confidence player. If he continues to work hard, and improve, he will be rightly in discussions for a spot in the World Cup squad.
    Unfortunately, unless he is clearly the second best Irish 10 (playing in Ireland), I dont think he will be picked

The Friend Zone
    I think credit is due to kk, I personally thought he sort of revived cartys confidence. One of the only positives from kks time was cartys form last season

If you ignore his shots at goal for the past 2 seasons, he has played consistently very well. His play with ball in hand, and his tackling has been very good.
    His kicking, unfortunately has been inconsistent. Playing in the Sportsground doesn't help him.
    So far this season, he looks to have stepped up his game another notch. He does seem to be a bit of a confidence player. If he continues to work hard, and improve, he will be rightly in discussions for a spot in the World Cup squad.
    Unfortunately, unless he is clearly the second best Irish 10 (playing in Ireland), I dont think he will be picked

Its seems to be taken as a given that Carbery is and will be the back up 10 but in my humble opinion Carbery has yet to prove himself beyond a few decent cameos, Carty has been playing consistently in the 10 spot for a number of years now. Ross Byrne is a very good player but his game time is limited, I think Carty is in a very good position to challenge for the back up 10 spot.
    Paddy Jackson is out of the picture, Ian Madigan is out of the picture, Ian Keatleys chance seems to be behind him, JJ Hanrahan will struggle for game time as will Ross Byrne.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Its seems to be taken as a given that Carbery is and will be the back up 10 but in my humble opinion Carbery has yet to prove himself beyond a few decent cameos, Carty has been playing consistently in the 10 spot for a number of years now. Ross Byrne is a very good player but his game time is limited, I think Carty is in a very good position to challenge for the back up 10 spot.
    Paddy Jackson is out of the picture, Ian Madigan is out of the picture, Ian Keatleys chance seems to be behind him, JJ Hanrahan will struggle for game time as will Ross Byrne.

I know it’s still early in the season but carbery is still looking like a 15 to me

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I know it’s still early in the season but carbery is still looking like a 15 to me

He was brought to munster purely as a 10 so he can get game time to back up sexton at 10 for ireland, if it doesnt work out for him there then he and joe smidt have a big problem

The Friend Zone
    He was brought to munster purely as a 10 so he can get game time to back up sexton at 10 for ireland, if it doesnt work out for him there then he and joe smidt have a big problem

With out a doubt. And I don’t think you can go into the six nations without a dead certain second choice ten.( that’s with preparation for the World Cup, with hopefully seeing second choice ten starting maybe 2/5 six nation matches)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think Carty has a great chance of a cap. People are only raving about him now but even in some our drabbbest showings last year he was a standout. I think the politics behind Carberry's move have him as a near cert for replacement OH in Japan regardless of form but a cap in Autumn is definitely up for grabs for Jack barring injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

I think credit is due to kk, I personally thought he sort of revived cartys confidence. One of the only positives from kks time was cartys form last season

I totally agree with you here, you could see last season he was a completely different player I assume KK and the coaches encouraged him to play his natural game and this has seen him develop and this season is a continuation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

freyners wrote: »
    I prefer Kearney tackling Marmions ghost personally

https://twitter.com/ConnachtCows/status/1044312619837005824

Yeah, it's good, but Swifty's was a great team try where we pulled them out of shape by counterattacking through Duffy and Carr, moving the ball well, made some lovely offloads, punched holes and drew in defenders (and a penalty advantage), then moved the ball wide for one of our most popular long-serving players to score an unlikely try for him, sprinting in from nearly 30 metres out. Marmion's was a great piece of individual skill but Swifty's was more satisfying for me...

With out a doubt. And I don’t think you can go into the six nations without a dead certain second choice ten.( that’s with preparation for the World Cup, with hopefully seeing second choice ten starting maybe 2/5 six nation matches)

Totally agree thats why with Carty the only other regular starter at 10, they really need to get him into the fold in case carbery doesnt work out

The Friend Zone
    Yeah, it's good, but Swifty's was a great team try where we pulled them out of shape by counterattacking through Duffy and Carr, moving the ball well, made some lovely offloads, punched holes and drew in defenders (and a penalty advantage), then moved the ball wide for one of our most popular long-serving players to score an unlikely try for him, sprinting in from nearly 30 metres out. Marmion's was a great piece of individual skill but Swifty's was more satisfying for me...

Tbh i love them both. For me marmion has a habit of playing well in this fixture and out of the few tries he has scored in this fixture (getting ahead of mcgrath in the 7-6, bulldozing carberry or the finish from cartys chip last year) its probably the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

freyners wrote: »
    Tbh i love them both. For me marmion has a habit of playing well in this fixture and out if the few tries he has scored in this fixture (sgetting ahead of mcgrath in the 7-6, bulldozing carberry or the finish from cartys chip last year) its probably the best

although he'll probably get the call to be rested. I'd say Blade will start.

typhoony wrote: »
    although he'll probably get the call to be rested. I'd say Blade will start.

Why? Last week was his first start of the season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Why? Last week was his first start of the season...

He started against Edinburgh too I think? I'd be surprised to see him rested this weekend either way tbh!

He started against Edinburgh too I think? I'd be surprised to see him rested this weekend either way tbh!

You're right, sorry, but the point stands, he hasn't played a lot of rugby yet and doesn't need to be rested at all.

The Friend Zone
    Butler and thornbury doubts for the weekend. Masterson, mckeon and Horwitz our till mid October

Butler and thornbury doubts for the weekend. Masterson, mckeon and Horwitz our till mid October

SOB, Fainga'a and Boyle then? Copeland on the bench, although he could be swapped for Boyle. Leinster could have a pretty strong backrow, we might even see SOB v SOB

The Friend Zone
    SOB, Fainga'a and Boyle then? Copeland on the bench, although he could be swapped for Boyle. Leinster could have a pretty strong backrow, we might even see SOB v SOB

I’d love to see fainga’a start if butler is out but you could see Boyle at 7 and Copeland at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

Good combinations anyway.
    Can't wait too see how many turnovers could earn Fainga'a if  he starts

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »

Fainga’a vs leavy/vdf will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

connachta wrote: »

Fainga’a vs leavy/vdf will be interesting
    Tasty. I don't say the head to head at openside will come our way, but it should be much closer some Leinster fans will expect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Burkie1203 wrote: »

Poor lad. Awful accident.

Fiar play to the connacht medical team. Looks like they were crucial

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement