Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was Whitehouse, no?

No, Davies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ClanofLams wrote: »
    No, Davies.

Oops. Well in fairness I was at the game and very few there noticed it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Butler + Thornbury + Godwin 30 tackles no missed.
    Boyle 14  made two missed
    All those are 25 or less. The future is bright

27 or less *  sorry I can't edit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Zzippy wrote:

I did find that amazing. The fact that in hindsight it was so obvious and the fact that no commentators, officials, players or fans at the game seemed to notice

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over

Same and nor did I. But between three officials and tmo, someone should have picked it up. Although not sure TMO can intervene for that.

connachta wrote: »
    LBP is a massive acheivement vs a straight opponent for home european play-off nex spring!

They're in the other conference...?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Still early doors for Friend, but I'd be worry about what I saw tonight. No penetration, and lots of predictable lateral moves, side to side. We've seen this trialed before with Penney at Munster, and MOC at Leinster, and it never really made much hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Still early doors for Friend, but I'd be worry about what I saw tonight. No penetration, and lots of predictable lateral moves, side to side. We've seen this trialed before with Penney at Munster, and MOC at Leinster, and it never really made much hay.

Defence certainly looks better then previous seasons. Far too early to start negativity. You still have to add Buckley, roux, Copeland, match fit bundee, Farrell and kelleher to that 23. And that’s not including the unknown quantities of Reece and Horwitz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Godwin and Griffin bin the centre are such a poor pairing there is zero creativity. The two of the kept running into heavy traffic and not really doing much with ball in hand. Farrell and Bundee is still our main partnership and Farrell needs to play when fit Even without Bundee

• Advertisement

Godwin and Griffin bin the centre are such a poor pairing there is zero creativity. The two of the kept running into heavy traffic and not really doing much with ball in hand. Farrell and Bundee is still our main partnership and Farrell needs to play when fit Even without Bundee

I've been really disappointed with Griffin since he came back. Looks totally pedestrian and bereft of creativity. Hard to believe he can make the starting XV...

The Friend Zone
    I've been really disappointed with Griffin since he came back. Looks totally pedestrian and bereft of creativity. Hard to believe he can make the starting XV...

He’s a solid squad option, not a starter. Doesn’t start when Farrell or bundee are match fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I thought it was positive enough. Attack was very lacking but I thought our defence was reasonably good and composed. This was a game where I think last season we would have leaked a couple more tries and would not have been in a position to get a LBP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone

I'd play an academy player at least you'd hope they'd have more pace

Mul, it's over

Might be a little harsh on Godwin there, thought he linked up pretty well with Farrell versus Glasgow and had some really good footwork and nice offloads. Partnership didn't seem to work tonight alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

LBP in Edinburgh is not too bad all told. Especially the way the game went. The killer was not beating Glasgow in the first game when we really should have. Away wins are getting harder to come by so you have to be winning your home ones.

Defence was actually very good. Last year we would have shipped a few tries with the amount of possession and territory Edinburgh had.

LBP is a massive acheivement vs a straight opponent for home european play-off nex spring!

They're in the other conference...?
    Yes. That's my point. Play-off. Probably vs them. Would prefer having it home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone

No play off this year. Top 7 teams points wise qualify

KBurke85 wrote: »

Really??

Yeah i've missed that.
    And how it works for the 20th spot if both Challenge Cup finalists are already qualified?
    Play-off between the semi-finalists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah i've missed that.
    And how it works for the 20th spot if both Challenge Cup finalists are already qualified?
    from wiki....
    the play-off will be scrapped in favour of awarding the berth using the following criteria:
    Champions Cup winner, if not already qualified.
    European Rugby Challenge Cup winner, if not already qualified.
    Challenge Cup losing finalist, if not already qualified.
    Challenge Cup semi-finalist, if one has not already qualified (or the winner of a play-off between the semi-finalists, if both have not already qualified).
    Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Champions Cup winner.

Yeah i've missed that.
    from wiki....
    the play-off will be scrapped in favour of awarding the berth using the following criteria:
    Champions Cup winner, if not already qualified.
    European Rugby Challenge Cup winner, if not already qualified.
    Challenge Cup losing finalist, if not already qualified.
    Challenge Cup semi-finalist, if one has not already qualified (or the winner of a play-off between the semi-finalists, if both have not already qualified).
    Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Champions Cup winner.
    So that's it. We could have to pray like Gloucester/Pau did last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'd think the opposite. Get the defence right. Get the error count down. Attacking patterns and innovative moves come later.

I would take a lot of quiet confidence from the opening matches.

KBurke85 wrote: »

That's ridiculous when one team could have an easier conference. For instance, last year Cheetahs were far more competitive than Kings, so the average points in Conference B were higher, with Dragons also gifting most teams points too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    That's ridiculous when one team could have an easier conference. For instance, last year Cheetahs were far more competitive than Kings, so the average points in Conference B were higher, with Dragons also gifting most teams points too.

Before you even consider our extra derbies as opposed to everyone elses extra fixtures.

I thought the old play-off between the leagues was biased, this one is completely ridiculous.

Before you even consider our extra derbies as opposed to everyone elses extra fixtures.

I thought the old play-off between the leagues was biased, this one is completely ridiculous.

And not to mention if we both finished 4th in our conferences, Edinburgh had us at home and we don't have a return fixture to take points off them. Wouldn't have mattered so much last year with a playoff available.

Mul, it's over
    Good results today with Cheetahs losing and Cardiff throwing away a 17 point lead to against Zebre. Cheetahs look a long long way off last season, can't see them threatening play off spots.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Good results today with Cheetahs losing and Cardiff throwing away a 17 point lead to against Zebre.
    A 21-pont-lead :D

The Friend Zone
    Anyone know much about the eagles match? Other then they lost

• Advertisement

SOB 3.0 scored a double
    other Connacht tries De Buitlear, C.McKeon and Fitzgerald (who seems to have been 100% with the conversions).
    We were leading after an hour, just like vs Munste,r so the A team, before U20 guys come in from the beench, looks all-right

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement