Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

All across the world there are borders where timezones, change, I'm sure the people will be able to cope with it just like everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Situation in NI is very sensitive though. Normally, two different time zones in the same country would not be an issue at all but one can imagine unionists would be absolutely livid if NI was placed in a different time zone to GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not here... NI is what will determine it. You'll piss of half of the population of NI if make a decision to stick with the UK solution, you'll piss off the other half if you do something down here.

Best to leave it exactly as it is and preserve the status quo.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This is exactly the point for not sticking with the status quo. It won't make any difference shifting the daylight in December and January but the extra hour of evening daylight would make a significant difference in early November, late February and particularly March.

Shrinking the period of wintertime would have the same benefits but it probably makes more sense just getting rid of the clock change entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get back to me with (a) a proper country (b) one that's in the EU.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fallout2022

Daylight Saving Time

It's great that they are Expending time, thinking about whether to Save time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"Time marches on never ending,
    Time keeps its own time ...."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There definitely would be a strong case for shortening the winter time period = perhaps from mid November to the end of January. I've no idea why we're still on winter time in late March.

it’s not in the EU but the states has like 3 different time zones? Eastern, Pacific & Central. They seem to manage just fine.

although it must feel weird to speak with someone in LA, who’s 3 hours behind you if you’re in Florida. It’d be like if Dublin and Cork were 3 hours different from each other 🤔

• Advertisement

I've no idea why we're still on winter time in late March.

It's not winter time, it's standard time, (we actually should be half an hour further again, given we're that much west of Greenwich)

People said similar in 1979 when we broke with Sterling. It was clearly in our national interest to go our own way then. We should only consider what is best for our own country. The UK can do what they like without us being obliged to follow.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I used to be all in favour of summer time year round but it means frost persisting for another hour on winter mornings, not good as a motorcyclist. Although currently I'm only obliged to be in the office two days a week and I can pick which ones based on the weather.

A Cyprus is a proper country it is just divided between Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots.

B The Greek part is in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm firmly behind keeping the hour change, albeit shorter 'wintertime' would be nice but thats not on offer. Have said it for the last four years on this thread and longer away form it. But it's fairly evident its not what the majority want.

I do believe that people are underestimating the impact an extra hour of darkness in the mornings will cause from early Dec, Jan to mid Feb. Whether anything actually changes of course, remains to be seen.

What it's called is irrelevant and completely missing the point. In March, the extra hour of daylight would be much more beneficial in the evening than early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They talk about this every year. Having to change the clocks is stupid and causes more trouble than it's worth. Just keep to one time, it doesn't matter which because we can start earlier or later to suit. Dealing with businesses in other time zones is a massive pita when everyone has their own clock changes on different dates.

It's not irrelevant to the post I was replying to...

Tbh I think we should change to GMT - 0:30 so that noon lines up with when the sun is highest in the sky, and then just change the normal working day from 9 - 5 to something like 7:30 - 15:30....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Protecting citizens and their freedoms is one of the principals and core values of the EU, as outlined and committed to by the EU.

That a group of EU gangsters sitting in an office in Brussels can start dictating and throwing around dictatorial statements undermines the above…and only seeks to undermine the democratic processes and shows a whole heap of disrespect to this country, it’s democratically elected politicians and citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is another time zone, Mountain. Some states like Kentucky, which is not much bigger than the island of Ireland have two time zones. It would be like going from Dublin to Galway and changing by one hour in Westmeath, but I never heard of any big problems in Kentucky.

We need protection from conspiracy theorists. If there is an EU wide agreement to stop clock changes, nobody in Brussels is going to dictate to anyone anywhere in Europe what time zone they have to live in. Ireland could choose to be 3 hours different to London, or even have 2 or 3 time zones in the country. Once it stayed the same all year round. There was an EU wide agreement, including the UK to adopt the current regime. The rest of the EU actually agreed to change their dates to make them come in line with the UK and Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Hate to burst your bubble but in Ireland, so called "summer time" is in fact standard time. IST: Irish Standard Time.

Indeed, before the mid 90s it was a right mess across Europe. God bless the EU for sorting that out!

🙄

European parliament would have to vote on it.

It's not the EU's fault that we elect complete clowns like Wallace and Daly who are much more interested in licking up to oppressive regimes all over the world than doing their job.

You were talking about Northern Cyprus which isn't a country. Only Turkey recognises it.

We should move to metric time and be done with it, 10 'hours' in a day, 100 'minutes' in an hour. Everyone around the world working off the same time, ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The second is the SI unit of time, how about working up from that? 3600 seconds in an hour 86.4 kiloseconds in a day. 2.6ish Megaseconds in a month. It'll be confusing, but "megaseconds" sounds really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Deleted

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

There is actually 4 time zones in continental USA Mountain Time as well as the 3 you mentioned. Plus you also have some states that are split between time zones such as say Indiana or other parts that do not change the clocks at all such as in Arizona.

• Advertisement

Asking you to provide an example of an island with two timezones, excluding made up countries like Northern Cyprus.

Advertisement