Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Had a fantastic weekend. Took 11 hours to get there but sucked it up and the craic.

Campervan area was pristine. Toilets were spotless, all the people were sound, bins were used regularly rather than last day so no overflowing. I'm guessing the demographic differences between campervan and campsite had much to do with the state of the general campsite.

Saw lots of happyish kids Friday. By Saturday they looked stressed, tired and fed up. Not a place for kids at all, it's not cool to have a newborn hang off you like a novelty accessory surrounded by drink and drugs. It looks ridiculous.

Security training was ****e, nobody knew anything, one guy tried to tell us we could use family showers. Lots of UK security too which id like to see going to an Irish company.

Other than that had a super time, didn't get wet once thanks to the gazebo, saw everyone I wanted to see and much more. Looking forward to next year, hopefully lose the dead wood from this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Hoboo wrote: »
    it's not cool to have a newborn hang off you like a novelty accessory surrounded by drink and drugs. It looks ridiculous.

Moronic statement. The height of ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Had a fantastic weekend. Took 11 hours to get there but sucked it up and the craic.

Campervan area was pristine. Toilets were spotless, all the people were sound, bins were used regularly rather than last day so no overflowing. I'm guessing the demographic differences between campervan and campsite had much to do with the state of the general campsite.

Saw lots of happyish kids Friday. By Saturday they looked stressed, tired and fed up. Not a place for kids at all, it's not cool to have a newborn hang off you like a novelty accessory surrounded by drink and drugs. It looks ridiculous.

Security training was ****e, nobody knew anything, one guy tried to tell us we could use family showers. Lots of UK security too which id like to see going to an Irish company.

Other than that had a super time, didn't get wet once thanks to the gazebo, saw everyone I wanted to see and much more. Looking forward to next year, hopefully lose the dead wood from this year.

Be careful what you say about the kiddies, the insults and smart comments from the responsible parents will start up again

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭jimosterberg

dk1982 wrote: »
    Entitled to my opinion. Can go around judging othe peoples decisions if I like thanks very much, especially if it impacts me and my enjoyment of a festival that I have paid good money for. I'll leave it at that

The people who brought children paid for their tickets too and children are allowed at the festival. Myself and friends had children with us. They had a great time. They loved the kids together area, the music, the food and being allowed to stay up a bit later. They did get tired at times but so did we!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's not. Someone is angry so they're making stuff up. The curfew is 9pm on licensed premises, but during summer it's relaxed and to 10 pm.

Oh I know. I was just surpised that someone would get it so wrong. I think some people think kids should be locked up up in a bubble and then released into the world when they're 18.

I take my kids to EP but like most people I'm responsible. Plus I'd rather they learned how to behave at things like this from me rather then just letting them loose on their own at 18.

Anyway back on topic.......arrgghh traffic!!! **shakes fist!!

• Advertisement

Wooderson wrote: »
    Moronic statement. The height of ignorance.

Touched a nerve did it? It's fact. It's attention seeking at best.

Touched a nerve did it? It's fact. It's attention seeking at best.

Youre an idiot.

Youre an idiot.

Anyone who doesnt agree is an idiot......great argument.

Attack the post not the poster I believe is part of the forum code.

Anyone who doesnt agree is an idiot......great argument.

Attack the post not the poster I believe is part of the forum code.

Referring to a baby in a sling at a festival as "looking ridiculous" is nonsense. Take a break from the forum chief if this is best you got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Orson Swelled

Might I suggest everyone just walk away from this? It's going nowhere.

• Advertisement

Referring to a baby in a sling at a festival as "looking ridiculous" is nonsense. Take a break from the forum chief if this is best you got.

Nah I'll pass, it looks ridiculous. It is what it is, attention seeking with novelty props. Cool photos for social media though, that's the main thing. Hope you got plenty of likes and you feel good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

F*cking hell, children. Take it elsewhere if you're going to bicker like this.

Few simple things I'd be happy with next year that would ease most of the issues:

- More frequent cleaning of bins, toilets, etc
    - More food stalls - there were times where the queues were huge, not ideal
    - Also, it was just a little limited, wasn't it? I mean, a few extra Indian, Thai, burger and pizza places never go amiss!
    - Stagger the times a little better - Friday was so light but then you had people like Soak, Saint Sister, etc player in the middle of the day on Saturday and Sunday, and the clashes just made no sense - Kiasmos/Hot Chip/Jon Hopkins; almost everyone I spoke to over the weekend was working out some way of catching as much of that as possible

A mostly very good weekend. I was lucky not to be caught in the traffic on either side, so that's helped, but I think that things could run a lot smoother inside if they just put a little more into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Was Erol Alkan any use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I read the capacity was 22.5k this morning, frankly that's ridiculous as I know for a fact only a little over 12k attended last year. A jump of 10k in your 2nd year is crazy and I'm not in the least bit surprised there were problems. It's known that POD need to start turning a profit so the decision to increase size so quickly in definitely related to money. They need to be careful, nobody wants a repeat of what happened at EP, festival republic were demonized after the split with Reynolds for exactly the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭jimosterberg

Nah I'll pass, it looks ridiculous. It is what it is, attention seeking with novelty props. Cool photos for social media though, that's the main thing. Hope you got plenty of likes and you feel good.

I would worry for any children you have or may have in the future if you think they are novelty props.

I appreciate a lot of people have the fear at festivals and maybe don't want to be around children. That's really their issue. It's a family friendly festival with specific kids areas and events. If you take a walk around the city centre any day you will see drug addicts and alcoholics. It's still a safe place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I’ll never understand this nasty attitude. What harm did the kids at the festival do exactly? Novelty props :pac: you’re an idiot mate. It’s billed as a family friendly festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Lads give it over FFS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭whelzer

My tuppence worth...

Overall a great weekend and I will defo go next year. Wasn't there in 2018. Loved the vibe, the stages, overall layout, etc.

Seen some great acts, including all or most of, Neneh Cherry, Orbital, Ships, Erol Alkan, Bellyman, Leonard Cohn thing, Patti Smith, Jon Hopkins, Leftfield DJ, Junior Brother, Just Mustard, Park Hye Jim, Sim Simma, Fehdah (GR stage), Cian O Ciobhain, Soak, Rimon, The Wailers, John Grant, George Fitzgerald, Talking Heads thing, Black Midi, Daithi, Blind Boy thing, Yankari.

Caught lots of other bits and bobs, Global Roots and All Kinds of Everything were great stages.

Got freaked out by Arcadia the first night after Orbital (dont ask!) so somewhat avoided it on Sat/Sun, except to grab pints at the bar, sat and people watched for a few minutes each time.

Food that I ate was grand, Bear Grillaz at least twice and Burritos once - cant remember anything else but there most have been something! People here complaining about food, I wold love to transport you back to festivals in 80s/90s....

We had no issues with traffic, left Dublin around 11:30 and was outside tent with cans by 2:30. Followed garda route on ATN link to Red Gate. Zero issues getting into Tangerine Fields, parked in row 11 from front of entrance there. No issues getting out (5/10 minute Q), left yesterday around 10.30.

I would not pay for TF again - its was ok, but tents were on top of each other. We could see into BSN camping and there was loads of space. Showers ok but other than that, I see no no value in paying extra. Pink Moon at EP and B&S equivalent are better.

The toilets were bad on Sat/Sun but its a festival so that's to be expected, they will be bad at every festival you have been to or will go to! Bring plenty of your own tissue/bog roll and hand sanitiser. Get in/get out.
    Signs up to stop pissing obviously worked and the one or two that ignored them (including me - I was burstin!) got shouted at and threatened.

I'm a live and let live type of person so am not impacted by gob****es around me, did I see kids out too late and tired yes, did I see others out late, totally enjoying themselves yes. Adults in every state of bolloxedniss, including none.

Quite liked Patti Smiths line (which I can't remember accurately) but it was along the lines of "I know you had issues with traffic and the rain, etc, but get the fk on with it people , you're at festival"

Some extra bark/chips at toilets, walkways "wood" have been nice, but again bit of squelching around can be a laugh. Wore runners Fri/Sat, walking boots Sunday. Other thoughts may be added as I return to "normal"....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Weepsie wrote: »
    That's a different argument and take on it though. Most people seem to have an issue with kids at it as they feel uncomfortable ingesting their favourite substances around them. That's on them, not the people who bring kids.

We had this same argument last year when most agreed it was incredibly child friendly and there was loads to do, but again it want the point. People were entering their chemical shame spiral a little earlier as they seemed to be embarrassed to be fecked up around kids.

I wasn't arguing any of that though. That is of course on them but think it's a bit naive to think some having copious amount of drinks and drugs isn't a sizeable part of Irish festivals unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I apologize for the constant Johnny Logan hits being blared out on Saturday morning if you heard them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

It must have been very hard for parents staying in small tents with the weather so bad, no wonder so many of the families packed up and left on Sunday.
    I saw lots of very responsible parents getting back with the kids at a reasonable time.
    I also saw some things I though were disgraceful. On Sunday in the pissing rain near one of the stages there was a child asleep on the ground and the parents had a ground sheet covering him from the rain, the parents were just standing around drinking.

I read the capacity was 22.5k this morning, frankly that's ridiculous as I know for a fact only a little over 12k attended last year. A jump of 10k in your 2nd year is crazy and I'm not in the least bit surprised there were problems. It's known that POD need to start turning a profit so the decision to increase size so quickly in definitely related to money. They need to be careful, nobody wants a repeat of what happened at EP, festival republic were demonized after the split with Reynolds for exactly the same reason.

Fully agree on this. Obviously was sizeable increase in cars going down but the time it took to get in was far from normal. Was begger organised to drive out but still took an 1 he and 15 to just get of the car park. Think a stop go system of cars not moving at all while other cars do is needed. It's no benefit for anyone for everyone to move a few inches. Will be interesting to see when they put tickets on sale next year and the uptake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Great weekend overall.

Highlights:
    Gus Dapperton - want him back in Dub asap!
    Jon Hopkins - immense
    Bombay Bicycle Club - had to make a call between Olafur and BBC - decided to brave the rain and power through and they made it worth it, definitely revived me a bit on Sunday.
    Black Midi - that drummer was something else.

Lowlights:
    Food queues
    Avoidable clashes/general music downtime. Stagger the bloody stages lads.
    The fúcking blue gate campsite entrance Friday morning
    Fontaines DC - fell absolutely flat for me

I was lucky it seems not to have been caught up in the general car park fiasco on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

So did GB&Q play the new record in sequence at the start or did I miss a track?

They did Merrie Land straight through but left out Drifters and Trawlers for some reason, then played most of the debut album with a little bit of reshuffling so Kingdom of Doom was in the encore.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    They did Merrie Land straight through but left out Drifters and Trawlers for some reason, then played most of the debut album with a little bit of reshuffling so Kingdom of Doom was in the encore.

Nice one mate. Do you have the full set?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

It's a family festival, its promoted that way, and designed to cater for kids. If you aren't comfortable with kids being there then don't go. There are plenty of alternative options. It's that simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

I think the fact that it's a family festival is a huge factor in the vibe at it. The vibe we all go on about like we did last year.

Without the families I'd see it becoming more of a mad house than it was this year and frankly an entirely different festival.

Less tickets to be sold, with an equal % of (responsible) parents and their kids I feel are crucial to safeguard what for me personally is the main attraction here; good vibes.

Like others I saw a lot of fams and kids having an unreal time, the wonder the kids are experiencing I find infectious. I also saw kids I felt sorry for, but actually less than last year.
    My fear is that if the overcrowded nature of this year doesn't get fixed, less families will come, the vibe will change and it will just become like any other festival.

On another note, thank feck I took the day off. I have no voice and still need many more hours of sleep ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MargoChanning

Overall I thought it was a great weekend but I might be a bit biased as I live 15 mins drive away from the entrance gates, so you can pretty much guarantee I’ll be going again!
    Highs: the music!! Highlights of the weekend for me were Fontaines DC, Orbital, Just Mustard, Patti Smith, Hot Chip, and the Good the Bad and the Queen who pretty much made the weekend for me. Spent ages at Arcadia each night too and really enjoyed that as well. I didn’t find the queues for the food too bad but I think that’s all about timing! The halloumi place was gorgeous, as was the place with the coffee roasted in Waterford. I thought the vibe was very nice and relaxed the whole weekend too.

Lows: Toilets could have been cleaned more regularly, they were horrendous by Saturday night. General confusion caused by stewards not knowing directions for the whole weekend too, maybe more training the next time?

I think the fact that it's a family festival is a huge factor in the vibe at it. The vibe we all go on about like we did last year.

Without the families I'd see it becoming more of a mad house than it was this year and frankly an entirely different festival.

Less tickets to be sold, with an equal % of (responsible) parents and their kids I feel are crucial to safeguard what for me personally is the main attraction here; good vibes.

Like others I saw a lot of fams and kids having an unreal time, the wonder the kids are experiencing I find infectious. I also saw kids I felt sorry for, but actually less than last year.
    My fear is that if the overcrowded nature of this year doesn't get fixed, less families will come, the vibe will change and it will just become like any other festival.

On another note, thank feck I took the day off. I have no voice and still need many more hours of sleep ...

Very good point, they do keep the atmosphere more friendly. Just felt sorry for some of the miserable faces I saw on Saturday and Sunday.

• Advertisement

I don't know how anyone made it into work today, but fair play to those brave troopers!

Advertisement