Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

dk1982 wrote: »
    They're right though. You should accept if you have small kids that there's certain things you can't do (or else get a babysitter and you can do it). Not fair on the kids or other people attending. Purely selfish.

It's not your life - stick to your own business, mind yourself, and stop worrying. You'll grow up and have your own kids eventually, and maybe you'll realise it then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dk1982

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's not your life - stick to your own business, mind yourself, and stop worrying. You'll grow up and have your own kids eventually, and maybe you'll realise it then ;)

Trust me I won't :-)

Trust me I won't ��

More power to you then, but don't go around judging other people's decisions when you haven't got the first clue what went into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

God I wish I'd taken today off

More power to you then, but don't go around judging other people's decisions when you haven't got the first clue what went into them.

Entitled to my opinion. Can go around judging othe peoples decisions if I like thanks very much, especially if it impacts me and my enjoyment of a festival that I have paid good money for. I'll leave it at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

maximoose wrote: »

Schoolboy error... every year i make the same mistake too. I feel bloody horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

I have 2 boys and I’ve zero interest in going to a festival with them. My wife and I will be at EP in a few weeks and they’ll be staying with their aunty and cousins .

You need to realise there’s just some places kids shouldn’t be brought. I don’t care how much people bang on about bringing their kids to festivals is great , I think you are trying to convince yourselfs more than anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I have 2 boys and I’ve zero interest in going to a festival with them. My wife and I will be at EP in a few weeks and they’ll be staying with their aunty and cousins .

You need to realise there’s just some places kids shouldn’t be brought. I don’t care how much people bang on about bringing their kids to festivals is great , I think you are trying to convince yourselfs more than anyone else

Ok. Ask yourself this. If the age limit of 12 and under and over 21 only was taken away then there would be an influx of 15 to 18 year olds.
    Would that make it a better festival vibe?
    I doubt it.

Entitled to my opinion. Can go around judging othe peoples decisions if I like thanks very much, especially if it impacts me and my enjoyment of a festival that I have paid good money for. I'll leave it at that

Bingo - you've nailed exactly why people whinge and whine about kids at festivals. "me me me" culture in full effect.

Bingo - you've nailed exactly why people whinge and whine about kids at festivals. "me me me" culture in full effect.

OK then, me AND everyone else there who hasn't dragged their poor kids along. That OK now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Orson Swelled

I've no problem with children at a festival. I just find some of the parenting quite worrying. I spotted one young girl running around picking up rubbish, including used tissues. Perhaps it was some misguided attempt at recycling because she was clearly delighted with herself. No gloves on. Parents stumbling behind her with a bag of cans. It's not a good look.

Nah, you've made your choice and you have absolutely no right to dictate what others should do. If you don't think your kids would enjoy a festival, grand, but that's your choice alone.

As for EP, well that's a disaster zone of a festival these days so I wouldn't bring my son there ever, but then I wouldn't bring myself to it either.

Ok. Ask yourself this. If the age limit of 12 and under and over 21 only was taken away then there would be an influx of 15 to 18 year olds.
    Would that make it a better festival vibe?
    I doubt it.

I don’t want them there either :)

I've no problem with children at a festival. I just find some of the parenting quite worrying. I spotted one young girl running around picking up rubbish, including used tissues. Perhaps it was some misguided attempt at recycling because she was clearly delighted with herself. No gloves on. Parents stumbling behind her with a bag of cans. It's not a good look.
    I was there as parent but wasn't one of the ' in the open can drinkers'. I did see some parents, not many but saw them drinking there g and t, lagers or whatever openly during the day. Up to them tbh but the only way to prevent this is to make it 21 and over only. Would the vibe be better without the families?

See that’s cat and a very common occurrence at festivals. These parents need to grow up , accept you have to miss a few years of festivals , big deal, or go solo.
    They think they’re deadly, look at me I’m so cool I don’t have to change my ways just cuz I’ve kids.

And yes i know not all parents are like this at festivals but for me it’s just no place for kids. Surely the parents would enjoy it more without little johnny n Mary there anyway

See that’s cat and a very common occurrence at festivals. These parents need to grow up , accept you have to miss a few years of festivals , big deal, or go solo.
    They think they’re deadly, look at me I’m so cool I don’t have to change my ways just cuz I’ve kids.

And yes i know not all parents are like this at festivals but for me it’s just no place for kids. Surely the parents would enjoy it more without little johnny n Mary there anyway

Well that's upto the organisers to decide that.
    Ban under 21s and all will be ok.

OK then, me AND everyone else there who hasn't dragged their poor kids along. That OK now?

You were honest the first time, now you just look to be amping up the false concern again.

Most people have the self-confidence not to worry about kids being at festivals. My kid is 3 years old, we took him to EP at 4 months old, Body and Soul at 1, 2, and 3 years old (couldn't go at 0 years old because he literally born B&S weekend). He's been to the Beatyard too, and probably would have loved ATN last year.

Before that, I was going to festivals for a good 12 years or so - EP for years, Body and Soul plenty. Never once did it bother me that families with kids were there. In fact, the strength of EP at the beginning was precisely because it was such a family friendly place to go. I loved seeing families enjoying these festivals.

Would I take my son out without ear protection? Nope.
    Would he be out after 7pm? Absolutely not, and he never is. But when he was 4 months old, he didn't sleep to any kind of daylight schedule, so I can certainly understand why some families are out with babies after dark.
    Would I ever judge anyone else for doing these things? Not a chance.

I also see hundreds of immature 20-somethings at these festivals, taking too many consumables and lying passed out on the ground at 2am in the pouring rain, drinking themselves stupid on the bus to the festival and having to piss in someone's garden, acting the prick with their mates in the campsite at 4am. I'm not going to judge these people, it's a ****ing festival after all. Just have your own buzz and stop worrying about what everyone else is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Traffic - check
    Kids - check

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

My big irk is seeing kids without hearing protection or kids that are visibly tired and being dragged along when they should be in a tent catching some Zzzs

Personally, as bad as seeing people being insensitive to their kids needs or putting themselves above their kids is, my main concern is that I or some other adult could be drunkenly unaware of them as they run underfoot and they get trampled. In such a scenario, it won't be the irresponsible parent who wasn't looking after their child at midnight who will be blamed, it will be the festival organisers or even the person who, not unreasonably, went to a festival and danced vigorously, walked through the campsite or got a bit drunk!
    Oh here we go again with the whiny "don't bring kids" judgement brigade.

DO bring kinds.

DON'T pretend like they are just little adults who can take care of themselves

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

maximoose wrote: »

• Advertisement

DO bring kinds.

DON'T pretend like they are just little adults who can take care of themselves

Eh, where did I suggest otherwise? The same is easily true of most "adult" attendees though, so what the **** are you on about?

Surely the parents would enjoy it more without little johnny n Mary there anyway

Well, unless it was a Robert Palmer festival anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Aceso

I also see hundreds of immature 20-somethings at these festivals, taking too many consumables and lying passed out on the ground at 2am in the pouring rain, drinking themselves stupid on the bus to the festival and having to piss in someone's garden, acting the prick with their mates in the campsite at 4am.

That's exactly why children shouldn't be at festivals. You admit that you know this stuff happens at festivals but still bring your child.

If a child chomped down a hello kitty at a festival and died, the fact that drugs are illegal would be totally irrelevant, the child would still be dead because the parents chose to bring them to a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

In complete agreement MJ. I’m not yet ready to take my kid to a festival but am looking forward to it in a few years.

For me the presence of kids at fests improves the vibe. I’m also happy to trust the judgement of parents who take their offspring along to know what to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

You’re not entitled to talk on behalf of those not taking kids along. I don’t, but am very happy they’re present. I’ll take mine along when they get to 8/9.

Aceso wrote: »
    That's exactly why children shouldn't be at festivals. You admit that you know this stuff happens at festivals but still bring your child.

If a child chomped down a hello kitty at a festival and died, the fact that drugs are illegal would be totally irrelevant, the child would still be dead because the parents chose to bring them to a festival.

Oh who cares? They're far more likely to be killed when I'm driving them to creche in the car in the morning. If you find yourself crippled with anxiety about exceptionally unlikely events, that's your problem.

A 19 year old died this weekend at a festival from taking drugs - should people that age be banned too?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Aceso wrote: »

I better not let my toddler into the kitchen later in case they eat a dishwasher tablet then.

When you are a parent you have responsibilities and you have to watch them always at certain ages but the chances of the scenario you are suggesting are so bloody slim.

If parents want to take kids to festivals then fair enough. It is their choice. These festivals have large kiddies areas and activities that most regular folk don't see. Loads of really positive stuff here https://www.alltogethernow.ie/kids-together

If parents are drunk etc with kids at festivals. Then they are dicks. Just like parents who spend the day in pubs with the kids.

You should not be so bloody narrow minded and assume every parent who takes a child to a festival are ones dragging their kids around at midnight.

Eh, where did I suggest otherwise? The same is easily true of most "adult" attendees though, so what the **** are you on about?

I'm just making the point that criticism of bad parenting doesn't mean people are being judgemental about everyone who brings kids to festivals.

I'm just making the point that criticism of bad parenting doesn't mean people are being judgemental about everyone who brings kids to festivals.

Except they demonstrably ARE being judgemental about everyone who brings kids to festivals. In fact, a few posters here have outright stated as much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Aceso

Oh who cares? They're far more likely to be killed when I'm driving them to creche in the car in the morning. If you find yourself crippled with anxiety about exceptionally unlikely events, that's your problem.

A 19 year old died this weekend at a festival from taking drugs - should people that age be banned too?

Who cares? Clearly not you. Good luck to you so.

Advertisement