Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Nice day again it must be said

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some very heavy rain between Mullingar and Tullamore currently. recent lightning strike detected also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Downpour here at the minute, looked at radar, 1 big shower and its here, like most of september so far, ha, the rain seems to find its way here lately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Great day for the third week of Sept, 21.3c and sunny spells, balmy breeze.
    Phoenix Park reporting 22c.

Well that was a rough morning, plenty of trees down around here and had no electricity until 30mins ago, fine bright fresh evening now and feels chilly to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Well that was a rough morning, plenty of trees down around here and had no electricity until 30mins ago, fine bright fresh evening now and feels chilly to

Actually feels cold outside. This evening and tomorrow looks cold relatively speaking for the time of year.
    If we end up having a cold autumn the fuel reserves Will need a good looking at..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yellow Warning

Rainfall warning issued (for today) for: Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford.

Rain will be persistent and heavy at times especially during the afternoon with risk of spot flooding. Totals of 25 to 40mm expected, highest values likely near coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yellow Warning

Rainfall warning issued (for today) for: Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford.

Rain will be persistent and heavy at times especially during the afternoon with risk of spot flooding. Totals of 25 to 40mm expected, highest values likely near coast.

Is this the outcome of the potential Thursday storm, docarch?

I was having trouble keeping track of what was coming to get us this week although that yoke we got yesterday probably made things harder to call.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Is this the outcome of the potential Thursday storm, docarch?

Sort of....

What will bring today's rain is a deepening area of low pressure (a 'wave depression') which will track over the south of Ireland today/this evening and head into the UK. Likely to bring strong winds to Wales and southern England later (and possibly along the east/south east coast of Ireland later).

Other than rain, effects on Ireland will not be anywhere near as severe as yesterday, so I would not expect ME to name a storm. The UKMO might?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yellow Warning

I hope the councils are out cleaning those roadside drains before this rain arrives because i really noticed on my cycle in this morning, how many are completely blocked from yesterday.

Also is it possible to have drought and flood warnings in place in the same counties ;).

• Advertisement

UKMO have named Storm Bronagh for tonight/tomorrow (for/to mainly affect southern England).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Feeling noticeably colder today in Castlebar, only 9.2C currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wet cold and miserable in cork city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Wet cold and miserable in cork city.

Yes, since Storm Ali passed yesterday the weather has turned much colder and really autumnal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Cold and damp here in Laois...temps definitely have dropped since yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cold, wet and miserable. Autumn is definitely getting into full swing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I’m in San Diego currently and if there’s a nicer climate than this I’ve yet to experience it. It’s absolutely fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

I’m in San Diego currently and if there’s a nicer climate than this I’ve yet to experience it. It’s absolutely fabulous.

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cold and wet still in cork city, 11 degrees. Raining since around 8am. It’s light but heavy and is very wet light rain if you get it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just home wet and cold out 9c
    Gave into the wife and lit the fire

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Gave into the wife and lit the fire

Against my wishes, the heat went on today!

9.7c atm in Dublin 16 with heavy drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Bucketing down in Galway miserable cold and dark day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well it’s absolutely miserable here
    As it has been for most of the past 2 months since the rain dances started

Land around here is “fierce wet “ now apparently and doesn’t bode well for the winter !

Just starting raining here, had a little drizzle earlier, feels cold, might have to switch the heating on yet

Stove has been lit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some reasonable strong winds possible in east tonight as Bronagh exits into the Irish Sea

arpegeuk-2-10-0.png?20-18

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Decent climate (I have relatives who live there and visited them frequently when I lived in San Francisco), although they have really gloomy May/June months with heavy marine layers, and the ocean water is surprisingly cool thanks to the California Current.

If you like a dip in the ocean, as I do myself, the California coast can be a bit disappointing in that regard. To put it in perspective, even the beaches of New York have ocean temperatures a good 4-5 degrees warmer!

There's also the whole wildfire problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

MJohnston wrote: »
    Decent climate (I have relatives who live there and visited them frequently when I lived in San Francisco), although they have really gloomy May/June months with heavy marine layers, and the ocean water is surprisingly cool thanks to the California Current.

If you like a dip in the ocean, as I do myself, the California coast can be a bit disappointing in that regard. To put it in perspective, even the beaches of New York have ocean temperatures a good 4-5 degrees warmer!

Yep, the dull weather in May/June is even given a name - The June Gloom. It's kind of like what happens on the east coast of England when we/they get warm easterlies at those months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

MJohnston wrote: »

A bit scary too what with the Great white Sharks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »
    cold, wet and miserable. Autumn is definitely getting into full swing now.

This wouldn't look out of place in November to be honest. Sunday looks even worse!

Advertisement