Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

September 2017 was far worse to 2018 so far in Dublin 13. 2018 has had many lovely sunny days here with the mornings in particular being beautiful. I have a pic taken on each day showing the blue skies. Though it has been meh since Saturday like Artane2002 says. Saying that, not a bad morning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    September 2017 was far worse to 2018 so far in Dublin 13. 2018 has had many lovely sunny days here with the mornings in particular being beautiful. I have a pic taken on each day showing the blue skies. Though it has been meh since Saturday like Artane2002 says. Saying that, not a bad morning here.

Yes it's a beautiful morning indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Glorious ramble with the dog when bright sun emerged between deluges. Autumn at its finest..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The storm names are released for the upcoming season.
    https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1039650432354840577?s=19
    How far in did we get last season?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

acequion wrote: »
    Welcome back Gonzo. I know exactly how culture shocked you feel as it's almost always that same experience for me returning to Ireland having been somewhere warm. I usually experience it during summer months, though not this summer and you're getting the full brunt of it now because this is a particularly bad September, being both rainy and cold.

While it's always lovely to get away to warm,sunny climes I often wonder if it only makes us all the more disgruntled with our Irish climate?

the cold has felt far worse for me this time around compared to other years travelling back from Spain for a number of reasons:

We started getting warm temperatures in the second half of May this year. I went to Spain for 4 days near the beginning to June. When I arrived in Spain in June, I didn't feel the burst of heat stepping off the plane, because Ireland was just as warm. Once I returned Ireland became even hotter, and it stayed hot here right up to the first week of August with some random hot days up toward the end of August.

From mid August onwards things did cool down here somewhat, but then I went off to Spain on 28th August and only arrived back yesterday. Apart from a few cool days in August, I have mostly felt warm or hot conditions since mid May, so stepping back in Dublin yesterday evening was a real shock to the system.

At least this morning is sunny with blue skies, but there is still a noticeable chill in the air, but can't complain really once the sun is shining and the sky is blue!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    FFS
    Pouring rain again
    Every type of forecast /predictive sequence from met had been showing it going south of us

May as well pack the lawnmower up for thand winter
    Will need a combine harvester in spring !

Raining

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

dry and sunny in cork city after a night of heavy enough rain.

flazio wrote: »
    The storm names are released for the upcoming season.
    How far in did we get last season?

In terms of our own storm naming, Hector on 14 June but there was overlap with the European naming system; Emma especially. So it was kind of a disaster.....

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Yes it's a beautiful morning indeed.

Understatement, it was stunning. Now mostly cloudy with some sunny spells.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mostly cloudy here now after a perfect blue sky and sunny morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Is....is that sun and blue sky I see in galway, I even had to dig the sunglasses out driving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sunny and Breezy today, a grand day, just got the grass cut as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A pleasant day in Castlebar, it only got up to 15.6C but it was bright and dry after some early morning rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Any chance of another hurricane for us this year? Loved it last year...everyone getting off work and getting prepared and listening to the news for updates. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Any chance of another hurricane for us this year? Loved it last year...everyone getting off work and getting prepared and listening to the news for updates. :)

check out the t120+ thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We have already had a gust of 155 km/hr recorded this year from Storm Eleanor.

And three deaths? And damage to property?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Graces7 wrote: »
    And three deaths? And damage to property?

But its ok for him to say he enjoyed it. All extreme weather causes deaths, snow, heatwaves etc but you wouldnt have pulled him up if he said he really enjoyed the hot spell or the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    But its ok for him to say he enjoyed it. All extreme weather causes deaths, snow, heatwaves etc but you wouldnt have pulled him up if he said he really enjoyed the hot spell or the snow.

To be fair, wind is the most dangerous of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

To be fair, wind is the most dangerous of them all.

Yeah fair enough but someone can still enjoy an extreme weather event is my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Raining

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough but someone can still enjoy an extreme weather event is my point.

enjoying is one thing; seeking a repeat is quite another. I have lost loved ones in extreme events . How anyone can enjoy them? endure yes. try to help, yes. enjoy? comes across as callous.

I have dear friends in the line of Florence who fulfil all the ideas... Neither they nor I am going to enjoy the next few days.

windy and chilly out here in the isles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

We don't make the weather, so if we can, I see no harm in enjoying the weather when it's here! People die doing all sorts of things, should people not enjoy anything because of that? Live and let live I say grace, especially to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭amandstu

Another ex hurricane coming our way on Tuesday? Is there going to be a thread on it? Not as bad as the last one hope....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The Midland Weather Channel has issued a severe weather warning as Hurricane Helene continues its track towards Ireland.

Meteorologist Cathal Nolan told the Offaly Express, "having assessed the latest weather models and based on my own numerical calculations it looks increasingly likely that hurricane Helene will make landfall in Ireland at some point between 14:00 on Monday and 02:00 on Tuesday next."

"Currently, Helene is 2000km southwest of the Azores and remains a category 1 hurricane, with sustained winds of 130kph and gusts in excess of 170 kph," he continued.

The latest guidance suggests that the strongest winds will occur along the south and west coasts, where gusts could exceed 130-140 kph.

"Overland gusts of between 110-120 are possible. The storm itself is still some time away and therefore it’s exact track and intensity remain difficult to pin down," Cathal explained.

"Helene has taken a very similar track to that of Ophelia last year, which is extremely unusual for an Atlantic hurricane," Nolan told us.

"My concern at present is that the storm could deepen during its approach to Ireland, transforming from a Post Tropical Cyclone into a very powerful Atlantic Storm, which would potentially increase the winds along the west and south coast given the storms angle and interaction with the jet stream," he concluded

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Helene, then possibly Joyce, could mean we're in for a very wet and windy week for most of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Graces7 wrote: »
    enjoying is one thing; seeking a repeat is quite another. I have lost loved ones in extreme events . How anyone can enjoy them? endure yes. try to help, yes. enjoy? comes across as callous.

I have dear friends in the line of Florence who fulfil all the ideas... Neither they nor I am going to enjoy the next few days.

Sometimes people on here take everything too literally and never stop to consider that a poster may only have been tongue in cheek or perhaps somewhat misworded their post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Listening to TV3 news, they are speaking of a storm for Tuesday, and one could hear them say Inchadony among themselves as they were looking at the chart, They are not expecting it be bad as Orphilia, but nothing is certain

Advertisement