Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

crowd booing at the end is a disgrace, but then again the USOpen crowd isn't usually known for decency...

major meltdown from Williams but, and although I have very little time for her, I rather thought that a coach waving his hand in the air from the box was generally ignored by umpires? she was probably surprised at least that the coach got pulled for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Patrick Mouratoglou says: "If I'm honest I was coaching, [but] I don't think she looked at me."

Ramos got everything spot on. The commentary team on Amazon are an embarrassment calling it extraordinary or excessive. She threatened his career, called him a liar and called him a thief. How it's anything other than verbal abuse is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I will say though, that this is part of tennis that I think is unfair for both players, making them sit there in such an exposed, public place, waiting for the presentation. Let them go in the back, talk to their teams, and compose themselves a little while the preparations are being made. 10 minutes might just help calm everyone down. Even in a boring final when nothing happens apart from tennis, it's still a final, and emotionally draining for both players, give them a few minutes privacy with their teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Also hope the real story of the match doesn’t get lost. Serena didn’t play well but Osaka was class, proper CLUTCH player. Did lose that service game in second but only after a titanic struggle and went and immediately got it back. Feel sorry for her if the victory is tarnished slightly by Serena’s sh!tshow. Shouldn’t be, a new star arriving is the true narrative of what we witnessed tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

lostcat wrote: »
    crowd booing at the end is a disgrace, but then again the USOpen crowd isn't usually known for decency...

major meltdown from Williams but, and although I have very little time for her, I rather thought that a coach waving his hand in the air from the box was generally ignored by umpires? she was probably surprised at least that the coach got pulled for it

Commentators said that he seemed to be making a push forward gesture as if instructing her to push up when returning serve.

If no coaching is allowed then really they should be up in the press box or in the dressing room where they cannot be seen by the players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Shocking behaviour from the crowd booing. Poor Osaka getting really upset.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Absolute cúnts booing in the crowd. That's the nicest thing I can say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Serena doing great job of stealing the limelight. She was beaten by a better player on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What a car crash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Osaka is distraught here. She's been robbed, despite Serena's too little, too late "don't ruin it for her" schtick.

Osaka is distraught here. She's been robbed, despite Serena's too little, too late "don't ruin it for her" schtick.
    The crowd showed an absolute and utter lack of any respect, class or decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Johnmb wrote: »
    I will say though, that this is part of tennis that I think is unfair for both players, making them sit there in such an exposed, public place, waiting for the presentation. Let them go in the back, talk to their teams, and compose themselves a little while the preparations are being made. 10 minutes might just help calm everyone down. Even in a boring final when nothing happens apart from tennis, it's still a final, and emotionally draining for both players, give them a few minutes privacy with their teams.

If you conduct yourself like a professional throughout the match and don’t have a tantrum because the other player is better then you then you can sit waiting for the presentation and hold your head up high even though you lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

The crowd showed an absolute and utter lack of any respect, class or decency.

We are just missing some 'lock her up' chants to kick in.
    A lot of players get...hints...from their box a lot if the time and I think Williams can feel a bit annoyed to be pulled for it ( Toni Nadal used to basically send down faxes) , but, there's no excuse for her subsequent carry on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

That 24-slam record is hanging like a millstone around Serena's neck, didn't think she would be so nerve-riddled in these last two finals. Quite entertaining though I must say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Horrific behaviour by Serena, Really feel for Osaka this evening, much stronger player tonight.

On a funnier note, I'm watching a Euro sport 1 stream from god knows where, and they didn't notice Del Potro won last night, Their promo has Nadal V Djok for the final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I think that the umpire should not have awarded a game penalty at such a crucial time in a grand slam final. She called him a point thief, sor something. Big deal - I have seen far worse pass without sanction

I don’t know why the umpire should be singled out for any blame, stood firm under intense provocation and applied the rules. Serena should be directing her ire towards her coach if she needs to blow off steam, he’s the real villain of the piece, surely?

Hunchback wrote: »
    I think that the umpire should not have awarded a game penalty at such a crucial time in a grand slam final. She called him a point thief, sor something. Big deal - I have seen far worse pass without sanction
    That was just the straw that broke the camel's back. She didn't get the penalty for calling him a point thief, she got it for her abusiveness towards him in the run up to that point. Tennis is not a sport where you can be that abusive to one of the officials over that kind of prolonged span of time and not get a warning. It just so happened that it was her third warning in the match, so a game penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Hunchback wrote: »

Learn the rules. Who cares at what stage the game was awarded? She got a code violation for coaching, a 2nd code violation and point penalty for racket abuse, and a 3rd code violation, a game penalty for calling the umpire a liar and a thief?

You've seen worse than that pass without sanction, no code violation?

• Advertisement

That 24-slam record is hanging like a millstone around Serena's neck, didn't think she would be so nerve-riddled in these last two finals. Quite entertaining though I must say :pac:

Don’t see her beating 24. Maybe one more is possible but that would be her lot I’d say and have my doubts about even that much. Osaka looks the real deal and still have my suspicions Sabalenka could emerge the better player. Others will start to fancy they can beat her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

jamescd wrote: »
    Spot on, but it was the other way round :p

I never said who would win. ;)

Don’t see her beating 24. Maybe one more is possible but that would be her lot I’d say and have my doubts about even that much. Osaka looks the real deal and still have my suspicions Sabalenka could emerge the better player. Others will start to fancy they can beat her too.
    I just hope that the disgraceful crowd don't cause any issues for Osaka in the future. Things like that can play on the mind, and cause distractions in pressure situations if she gets there again. If she comes out of it stronger, then she could become a multiple time slam champion, but if it gets to her, she may have been screwed out of a great future by a classless crowd...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,597 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chivito550 wrote: »

You lucky bastid...😊

Williams really is a horrible sport...

I just hope that the disgraceful crowd don't cause any issues for Osaka in the future. Things like that can play on the mind, and cause distractions in pressure situations if she gets there again. If she comes out of it stronger, then she could become a multiple time slam champion, but if it gets to her, she may have been screwed out of a great future by a classless crowd...

Don’t have any fears for her personally. Her composure through the whole thing was very admirable and impressive. She just looks so solid and fearless, you couldn’t have guessed that was her maiden slam final if you didn’t know. Have no doubt more are going to follow.

Chivito550 wrote: »

Hope you were on the reverse forecast ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Her coach admits to the press to coaching her while at the same time Serena is giving a press conference saying they never do on court coaching. The coach then goes on twitter to drum up support for some long running umpiring conspiracy against Serena. Serena then tries to bring a sexism angle into again in the press conference, well after the heat of the moment when she's had a chance to actually think about what she's saying.

I'm upgrading this one from car crash to train wreck.

Just watching a few snippets of her press conference. It’s actually just pure comedy gold at this stage, nobody can take this stuff seriously. The journalists clapping her at the end are a real credit to their profession.

Williams has no defence, her coach admitting he was coaching therefore regardless of how harsh some people think the first penalty was it turns out to be 100% spot on.

Ramos is the same umpire who docked Djokovic a first serve at the french open in 2017 for taking too long between points.

He doesn't seem to be afraid of making big calls.

• Advertisement

Just watching a few snippets of her press conference. It’s actually just pure comedy gold at this stage, nobody can take this stuff seriously. The journalists clapping her at the end are a real credit to their profession.

That's american sports "journalism" for you, they're more interested in the narrative rather than the facts and this will be gold for them as they push so many different inaccurate angles from this incident and make a big story about it and portray Serena Williams as a hero.

Advertisement