Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

What's "Djokovic is a pox" ?

Djokovic je najbolji na svetu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

josip wrote: »
    Djokovic je najbolji na svetu.

If that actually says "Marry Me Djokovic" I'll be back lol!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

If that actually says "Marry Me Djokovic" I'll be back lol!!!!!!

Reminded me of this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

josip wrote: »

Great moment. And how nice to see the Wimbledon crowd having something other to laugh about than a pigeon flying over the court.

Sevastova really putting it up to Stephens here. Very impressive so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Sevastova really putting it up to Stephens here. Very impressive so far.

I wonder will she smiles if she wins the event:P

Lovely player to watch and that drop shot is gorgeous.

Isner v Del Potro next will be good, should be a cracking atmosphere also. Juan should win though, seriously impressive so far and not as limited as John.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I wonder will she smiles if she wins the event:P

Lovely player to watch and that drop shot is gorgeous.

Isner v Del Potro next will be good, should be a cracking atmosphere also. Juan should win though, seriously impressive so far and not as limited as John.

Ha, I'd want some odds on that before investing money on it! She looks eternally on the brink of tears for some reason, but she does have game for sure.

Though I am against serve bots i dont really mind Big John and think he could make this interesting, 4 sets at least I'd say.

Ha, I'd want some odds on that before investing money on it! She looks eternally on the brink of tears for some reason, but she does have game for sure.

Though I am against serve bots i dont really mind Big John and think he could make this interesting, 4 sets at least I'd say.

The tour isn't exactly dominated by big servers so Isner doing well this year isn't the end of the world. Variety spice of life etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Nadal wins in another epic apparently. Finished at around 2 am NYC time.

Extraordinary player, you get value for money watching him anyway.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45415386

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

If Serena Williams wins the womens I don't think I'll ever go to the ESPN website again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

If Serena Williams wins the womens I don't think I'll ever go to the ESPN website again.

I really hope she doesn't.

If I have to hear about her and her f***ing kid once more - you would think she is the only sports person ever to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Ah come on the Williams' story is genuine box office material? Going back years more so. I agree the obsession with Serenas motherhood is celebrity culture gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nadal wins in another epic apparently. Finished at around 2 am NYC time.

Extraordinary player, you get value for money watching him anyway.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45415386
    Another classic involving Nadal. Felt really sorry for Thiem though, he gave it everything and looked devastated at the end. Really hopes he wins a FO or two in the next few years.
    This match played into Del Potro's hands really, he is going to be facing a tired Nadal on Friday. I backed him at the start to win it, and it's looking good. I can't see anyone on the other side of the draw beating him. A lot of people are hyping up Djokovic, but he's beat no-one yet, whilst loosing sets to Fucsovics and Sandgren. The humid conditions also seem to be affecting him. There would be no more deserving winner than DelPo if he goes on to do so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

eric hoone wrote: »
    Ah come on the Williams' story is genuine box office material? Going back years more so. I agree the obsession with Serenas motherhood is celebrity culture gone mad

My big issue is that they won't shut up about her having the baby added to her being a really unlikable person in general (in my opinion).

She's not the only woman to ever have a baby and she's not the only female sportsperson to have a baby and come back and be successful afterwards.

Sonia O'Sullivan won an Olympic Silver medal around a year after giving birth (really a gold when it looks like Czabo was probably cheating) and neither her nor the media went on about it like she was some superwoman.

Serena Williams is an incredible sportsperson and I know there were some difficulties with her pregnancy and I'm sure having a baby is not the easiest thing in the world but the way the media and herself have been going on about her pregnancy and her "incredible" comeback from it is just so off putting .You'd think she was the only woman in the world who'd come back from a pregnancy and was successful after it women in much more difficult circumstances than her come back from having children and are successful after giving birth like they were before, the narrative being created by ESPN in particular that she is some sort of superhero and role model for women everywhere is nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

What a match! I love the two of them. Was a bit heartbroken for Cilic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Absolutely no sympathy for Thiem, he had the match won twice but couldn't close it out. These young fellas need a kick in the behind rather than 'jasus, that Nadal is hard to beat, don't worry about it the big three will retire sometime'

Very disapointed that none of the Young guns stepped up yet again, maybe Lendl will boot-camp a bit of steel into zerev..

Of those remaining, hqrd to bet against Djokovic if the heat doesn't get him, he's the best player left and he needs this one to keep the momentum going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

It doesnt happen very often, but Nadal lost more games than Thiem. 26-28.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Another classic involving Nadal. Felt really sorry for Thiem though, he gave it everything and looked devastated at the end. Really hopes he wins a FO or two in the next few years.
    This match played into Del Potro's hands really, he is going to be facing a tired Nadal on Friday. I backed him at the start to win it, and it's looking good. I can't see anyone on the other side of the draw beating him. A lot of people are hyping up Djokovic, but he's beat no-one yet, whilst loosing sets to Fucsovics and Sandgren. The humid conditions also seem to be affecting him. There would be no more deserving winner than DelPo if he goes on to do so!

When all is said and done I'd still nearly always fancy the big guns against Del Potro

Nishikori has some record in 5 setters. I think he's now 3-0 in US Open quarter finals which is another amazing stat

Serena is a legend, but the fact she has cruised to a final at 37 doesn't reflect well on the other girls tbh twice in a row lets not forget!

However she can only beat what's in front of her and if the other girls constantly implode it is what it is.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Well she's hardly your average 37 year old player now is she. And it is best of 3. Imagine how many slams Federer would've won if the men played best of 3 and he had no consistent rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Anyway, saw that blowout coming a mile off. Hope the next match is competitive, but it'll probably be a mess. Also hoping for an Osaka win, would trust her a lot more to give Serena a match on Saturday night. Plus she's actually beaten Serena before, even if she was nowhere near fit at the time.

Well she's hardly your average 37 year old player now is she. And it is best of 3. Imagine how many slams Federer would've won if the men played best of 3 and he had no consistent rivals.

I did say she was a legend tbf.

I can admire her longevity but also yearn for the other girls to step up and challenge her. This week's tennis from the ladies has been pretty dull, hoping this semi will be an improvement.

Messy performance that from Maddy sadly, however Osaka was absolute clutch in the big points, the ability to get a big serve in when Keys was lurking was remarkable.

What a talent!

Terrible first set, but quality picked up a bit in the second. Really excited for the final on Saturday. Serena will obviously be the heavy favourite, but I think she may have to wait a little longer for #24. I think Naomi'll get the job done.

Osaka will be my tip also,so impressed with her last 2 weeks, fought hard to beat the really dangerous Sabalenka and handled everyone else with ease.

I appreciate Keys is not exactly Rafa when it comes to returning, but saving 13 break points in your first ever grand slam semi against a home town favourite is seriously impressive.

Serena probably wins 6-1 6-0 now.:o

Could be a decent final, great to see a few young female players emerging who look like they may be the real deal and not flatter to deceive like a couple you could mention in recent years.

I guess the worry for Osaka is that Serena makes mincemeat of her second serve, she certainly won’t get away with coughing up 13 break points against even an 80% Serena. Really like her attitude though and she has that win in Indian Wells to bolster her. I’m confident she won’t be blown away whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,650 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What channel can I watch the tennis on? Can't find it on Sky or Eurosport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

100% - it's hardly as if its some no-hoper, she's only one of the greatest female sportspeople of all time, she'll obviously be a complete exception

walshb wrote: »
    What channel can I watch the tennis on? Can't find it on Sky or Eurosport.

It’s only online, sky lost the rights and Eurosport don’t have it here or in UK. Watch it mostly on various betting sites myself, not perfect but better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Looking forward to tonights semi final between Nadal and Del Potro. Be interesting to see how both players will approach this, will Nadal want to avoid another long match and will Del Potro look to stretch it out? I would love to see Del Potro win this. Surely the last few matches have had an impact on Nadal but many have said that before and he has proved them wrong.

The other semi should be straight forward enough for Djokovic over Nishikori.

Advertisement