Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

All the talk should be about the great win for Osaka

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Whoever wins my main hope for the match is that we don’t get a sexist umpire and loads of warnings and penalties are dished out for all manner of things.

Actually think it could be a good match though. 4-14 head to head doesn’t look great for delpo but recent encounters tend to be close and competitive so if he can raise his game a notch he’s got to have a decent shot at it.

I'd like to see Delpo win ,he is one of the last great entertainers left in the game.
    The fact that the courts have been noticeably slowed this year wont do him any favours though .
    Disgraceful decision to slow them down btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Also good to hear Daniela Hantuchova call it as it was too.

Can anyone tell me what she said? I can't find anything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what she said? I can't find anything online.

It wasn’t a lot, just that the umpire was correct in the actions he took or words to that effect anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'd like to see Delpo win ,he is one of the last great entertainers left in the game.

I like these matches, where I don't care who wins. Two likeable players imo, can understand the Novak hate though. Since McEnroe, no one plays with the aggression that Djokovic does, to literally play for the lines. A limited player compared to some of the other greats in terms of that finesse technical ability imo, but makes up for that with the bravery of his shots. Has to be admired

• Advertisement

Since McEnroe, no one plays with the aggression that Djokovic does, to literally play for the lines.

Djokovic isnt a very aggressive player ,he used to be but he is a lot more conservative nowadays.
    He plays his best tennis when he is aggressive but he seems content to slug it out most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Delpo in trouble already at the start of the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I'd give anything for Djokovic to get a warning about something tonight and for him to fire back at the umpire "I have a son, I stand for whats right" .

Floppybits wrote: »

He looks a bit lethargic but Djokovic is playing well.
    The court is ridiculously slow though ,very hard to get a clean winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Struggling to hold his serve so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

DelPo is playing ****e. Djokovic is playing well, and returning very well but not many winners coming from DelPo which I was expecting given how he has been playing. Disappointing final thus far

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I was hoping for a del Potro win, he deserves it. But things are not looking good here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

seligehgit wrote: »
    Struggling to hold his serve so far.

I have a feeling this could be a short enough night now.

Djokovic isnt a very aggressive player ,he used to be but he is a lot more conservative nowadays.
    He plays his best tennis when he is aggressive but he seems content to slug it out most of the time.

Oh of course, he's still not the player he was. Getting there though. If Nadal could serve, he would of beaten Novak out the gate in Wimbledon

Delpo starting to fire now. Really has come to life the last couple of games.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great forehand from del Potro.

Poetry in motion that backhand down the line.

I'd give anything for Djokovic to get a warning about something tonight and for him to fire back at the umpire "I have a son, I stand for whats right" .

Maybe now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

What happened there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Complaining about balls I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Why do they have a woman umpire for men and a man for the women?

What happened there?
    New ball found its way on court. Instead of playing ahead, Novak brought it to the umpires attention and both players agreed that it would best not to use it.

A 20 minute service game for Djokovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A 20 minute service game for Djokovic.

Del Potro had ample chances to break.:(

Going to be a tie breaker for this second set. Delpo should have broke Djokovic in that 20 minute game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Djokovic to step it up and take the tie-break, it's inevitable!

Delpo has to win the tie break

Smart play from del Potro.

A missile

• Advertisement

Nervous forehand there.

Advertisement