Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Serena is far from invincible...she can be bloody basic at times..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I just want to let everyone know in case you'd forgotten, that according to the amazon prime commentators Serena Williams is representing all the working moms out there and thats putting extra pressure on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Missed what happened there...why was Serena going mental at the umpire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Serena having a meltdown. She needs to regain her composure if she wants to extend this match.

I have a daughter I stand for whats right.

What an insufferable, arsehole Serena Williams is.

Sorry if people think I'm going on a bit about her or being harsh on Williams but she's just such a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Toys out of pram time for Serena. Coaching violation thing seems a bit weird, didn’t see what happened, but she’s embarrassing herself again and good to see Osaka keeping her focus through it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Would be some achievement for Ōsaka to win this with the crowd against her and Williams sounding off every chance she gets

AllForIt wrote: »

She received a one point penalty for getting 2 warnings.

The coaching incident and the smashing of the racket.

AllForIt wrote: »

She got a warning for coaching or something earlier. Then she smashed her racket so Osaka got a free point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I did think umpire had retracted the coaching thing but obviously he hadn’t or couldn’t.

• Advertisement

Serena has lost the plot. The post-natal hormones have gotten to her.

Umpire is doing his job.

She's now lost a game penalty.

Good enough for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

This is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Serena the drama queen. Umpire should just tell her to do one. Her coach was making suggestions to her and the umpire saw it, get over it Serena

She is now bringing out the feminist angle.

Disgraceful behaviour from her, she's an embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I did think umpire had retracted the coaching thing but obviously he hadn’t or couldn’t.
    No reason for him to. Despite what she claimed, it's not his problem if she got coaching or not, nor if she was listening or not. The rule is if the umpire, or a lines person, sees the box communicate with the player, it's a violation. They don't have to know what was being communicated, and it is up to the player to put a stop to it.

This is a disgrace from Williams.

I just hope Osaka doesn't lose her focus after all this crap from Serena.

Johnmb wrote: »
    I just hope Osaka doesn't lose her focus after all this crap from Serena.

Fingers crossed. She’s been excellent. Only 20, could easily lose her composure unfortunately.

Well done Osaka.

Unfortunately Williams meltdown will be the main story from the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

should have bought some popcorn, if only I'd known....

I wonder will Serena do a post-game interview.
    There was booing in the crowd after the match ended.
    Toxic atmosphere.
    Bizarre stuff.
    Still going on about it after the end.
    Takes the gloss off her opponent's moment of glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Haha, Serena got wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Properly embarrassing and disgraceful stuff from Serena. The mask slips once again. What should be the greatest moment of Osaka's life will be completely overshadowed by this farce.

Well done Osaka.

Unfortunately Williams meltdown will be the main story from the match.
    Yep, but it was caused by Osaka's great play. She'll blame the umpire, but the fact is that her coach signalling her was because Osaka was beating her, the breaking of the racket was because Osaka was too strong for her, and her disrespect to the umpire was because she had no answers to Osaka and needed someone to blame and vent at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Twitter is awful atm.

I mean yes call racism out when you can it most certainly exists, e.g white cops killing black kids and getting away with it and that "president", but **** of with accusing this umpire of racism.

Serena is an icon, but Jesus she has always been so unlikable for so much of her career. Venus on the other hand has always been class personified.

6 double faults from Williams in 2 sets - damming.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Love the way people are building this up. It will inevitably be another 6-2 6-3 type scoreline, done and dusted in 80 minutes.

Spot on, but it was the other way round :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Outrageous carry on from Serena Williams. She should be ashamed of herself but she won't be.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Twitter is awful atm.

I mean yes call racism out when you can it most certainly exists, e.g white cops killing black kids and getting away with it and that "president", but **** of with accusing this umpire of racism.

Serena is an icon, but Jesus she has always been so unlikable for so much of her career. Venus on the other hand has always been class personified.

Sadly that is the way the world has gone, if you offer any criticism anymore of any supposed minority the racism/sexism card if pulled straight away.

Advertisement