Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you go to the ploughing 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

McHugh talking down the damage on the radio.

Of course she is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭kk.man

McHugh talking down the damage on the radio. Definitely open tomorrow. :) Maybe go into Friday
    As a matter of interest, will the exhibitors get a refund for today?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

GoneHome wrote: »
    Of course she is :rolleyes:

She must be a politician

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, will the exhibitors get a refund for today?

Tullamore show has insurance for bad weather, Wonder did they inform everyone of that the years it was called off

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

She must be a politician

Wouldn't like to have the stress she's having today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

She must be a politician

:rolleyes:
    But she could learn a thing or two from Theresa Mannion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Very disappointing for everyone involved. Some amount of work for 3 days pay off and after the summer we've had to have this happen must be very demoralizing. Hope tomo doesn't come as bad as forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Very disappointing for everyone involved. Some amount of work for 3 days pay off and after the summer we've had to have this happen must be very demoralizing. Hope tomo doesn't come as bad as forecast.

Weatherman on 12.30 news said wash out in store for ploughing tomorrow think I’ll stay at home Feck that was going to go today said I’d leave it till tomorrow with the wind think at this stage I won’t bother at all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Wildsurfer wrote: »

Tomorrow supposed to be very wet. Myself and the better half were thinking of going this year. Has been 5-7 since I went, better half was there 2 years ago. Could not go today or yesterday because of work and had decided that weather forecast was too bad for tomorrow. 25mm of rain forecast tomorrow around Tullamore.

https://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Tullamore/forecasts/latest.

So we will wait until next year as Johnny Logan says what is another year. Anna May will have to reduce stand prices next year and entry prices. 25 YOYO's is a bit strong for a commercial event. I think the ploughing has 6-7 million in reserves. Lots of people fail to understand it is a commercial privately owned event.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

I heard they are thinking about keeping it on for Friday now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Glebee wrote: »
    Depends on lots of things. Hotel and guesthouse availability for the people working on the stands. Trucks available to carry out the machinery booked in advance and might not be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Glebee wrote: »

They can keep it most people would have made arangments for days off etc. As well you be crazy as you would hit the Friday evening traffic on the Motorway's trying to get home that evening. As the Circus owner said after a bad week in a big town you just fold up the tents and move on and hope next year will make up for it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Went yesterday..very heavy downpour around 1400 but ok after that..car park was still good when leaving at 2000
    But after last night and this morning I'd say a washout now for tomorrow..actually got around all day yesterday in standard work boots.wellies were not needed.but probably waders for anyone tomorrow and 4x4 for transport.... pity after the effort that all involved put into it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They can keep it most people would have made arangments for days off etc. As well you be crazy as you would hit the Friday evening traffic on the Motorway's trying to get home that evening. As the Circus owner said after a bad week in a big town you just fold up the tents and move on and hope next year will make up for it.

Ah let them at it. Offaly isn’t the centre of the universe and if the emergency services etc can meet and decide Friday is ok then I don’t see the harm. People can decide to go or not and business can discuss arrangements with staff. A bit of flexibility in life can go a long way sometimes especially when dealing with variables like Irish weather.

Anna Marie on RTE news now saying it will be open tomorrow.

They showed a split screen during the interview of the damage done on site.
    To me it seems ridiculous considering the damage done.
    I wonder is Anna Marie fairly handy with a hammer and chopsaw to help the exhibitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Anna Marie on RTE news now saying it will be open tomorrow.

They showed a split screen during the interview of the damage done on site.
    To me it seems ridiculous considering the damage done.
    I wonder is Anna Marie fairly handy with a hammer and chopsaw to help the exhibitors?

na she uses the whip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Saw some snapchats. IFJ stand is wrecked, Subsaru and pegout stand is wrecked. Farm Hand took the Big X harvester down. Have a feeling a lot of merchandise could go missing

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

I presume most have seen this video. Plenty of work to be done if was to go ahead tomorrow or Friday. Such a pity for all involved.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/336872/watch-shocking-footage-shows-storm-ali-damage-inside-ploughing-site.html

ganmo wrote: »
    na she uses the whip

They'll be whipping off home if that's the case.

I can't see how weeks of work and effort by exhibitors can be done again in a few hours for opening tomorrow. Not to mention the stock damage. Exhibitors are getting a very raw deal out of this.
    But sure as long as the paying feet come in the gates...

She was on this morning on the radio during the storm saying that anyone from northern counties with paid tickets for today that couldn't make it as they were in the eye of the storm would get admittance tomorrow. Nothing about the southern counties. Now everyone knows the strongest winds in a storm in the northern hemisphere are on the southern flank.
    Then a tweet was sent out at 7.30 a.m. of a pig sleeping soundly with the caption "I hope everyone enjoyed their extra time in bed". Still no warning or concern.

It's all money at this stage at any cost and to hell with everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Wildsurfer wrote:

I've no sympathy for them. They've had it good for a good few years now. I hope they reimburse exhibitors or give them reduced rates next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Box09 wrote: »
    I've no sympathy for them. They've had it good for a good few years now. I hope they reimburse exhibitors or give them reduced rates next year.

Who are "they" btw? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Ah well that was a waste of a journey.

Luckily didn't leave till late and went to an outfarm to feed calves on the way. Got as far as the Kilbeheny turn off on the M8 before it was cancelled and turned straight round.

Apparently a good few buses have been there since early on and still coming out slowly?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Subsaru and pegout stand is wrecked. Farm Hand took the Big X harvester down. Have a feeling a lot of merchandise could go missing

Were the cars all damaged? Peugeot had a huge plaza type thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Said we would bring the lads to MacDonald in Carlow on the way home
    Every school tour is here that plan is scrapped
    This day is turning into the retreat from Moscow

grassroot1 wrote: »

The fighting cocks or Conways in kildavin maybe?

But with the young one's in tow. The rivers edge in bunclody I'd definitely recommend for grub.

It'll be a miracle or else plain stupidity if it'll be open tomorrow at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Strong talk of it opening tomorrow and Fri. Announcement due around 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Just like farming really. You can spend months planning, sowing and tending but if the weather doesn't play ball when you want to harvest its all in vain. Salvage what you can and drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Box09 wrote: »

Who are "they" btw? Just curious.
    "They" are the people who get off their backsides to make things happen in this world while the begrudgers wait for their chance to kick them while they're down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

grassroot1 wrote: »

150 lads went up from our school in Wexford, currently eating out the restore in carlow!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement