Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If any manufacturer is providing monthly security updates it's a sign they are consistently producing flawed security. It's not a a good sign at all.
    Android security updates are published monthly. All manufacturers should be producing monthly updates for these

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

corwill wrote: »
    Android security updates are driven by Google for the whole ecosystem, rather than by manaufacturers, I thought.

Oh, yeah that's different. I was thinking of OEM skin updates.

That said, even Samsung don't actually release the google updates monthly, and that is further delayed by carrier specific updates. The only major manufacturers who release monthly updates on time or to a specific schedule are google themselves, Nokia, Blackberry and Apple, after that you're talking weeks to months before they finally make it to end users.

DW_TlU6W0AEg_Xb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

actuar90 wrote: »
    Can't seem to see where they ship from, will there be customs charges to deal with as well?

I've no idea, or even if they're reliable. But post #75 above said they'd ordered from them before with no customs charges

Just noticed it works out cheaper (€294) from the eGlobal Central UK site than the .eu site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Has the NFC bit been clarified for this yet? There was some early talk where one group said no NFC but others were saying it would have it. As a recent convert to Google pay I couldn't go back now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Get a 256gb cat 10 micro SD and mount it in andirod. Will read as international memory.

I've got lots of 128GB class 10 cards, but don't think they're fast enough for flagship smartphones, especially when used as internal storage.

Also, I haven't had the option to use an SD card as internal storage since android 6.0, maybe it's the just my phones(mate 8, V20 and OnePlus 3)

JohnK wrote: »
    Has the NFC bit been clarified for this yet? There was some early talk where one group said no NFC but others were saying it would have it. As a recent convert to Google pay I couldn't go back now.

I'm near 99.9999999% certain there's no NFC.

JohnK wrote:

There's no NFC, check GSM arena.

Not really surprising at this price point with the rest of the flagship specs. Nothing comes close for the price.

tedpan wrote: »
    I've got lots of 128GB class 10 cards, but don't think they're fast enough for flagship smartphones, especially when used as internal storage.

Also, I haven't had the option to use an SD card as internal storage since android 6.0, maybe it's the just my phones(mate 8, V20 and OnePlus 3)

Weird, I don't use a card at all atm because I'm happy enough with the 64gb I have in my P10 (I just stream music and regularly dump photos/videos to my laptop).

If 128gb is any use to you, that model seems to still be in stock on the UK Site, works out at just under €317.

https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-6gb-128gb-dual-sim-black.html

• Subscribers Posts: 41,013 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

corwill wrote: »
    Android security updates are driven by Google for the whole ecosystem, rather than by manaufacturers, I thought.

not necessarily

google write android for their google products ie pixel, nexus etc

Other OEMs then have to beta test these android version on their products to ensure compatibility. Some OEMs do provide 'pure android' OS from google (ie android one) but even still they have to beta test to iron out the creases.... for example pixel and nexus had andriod 8.1 since last december whereas it took till july for xiaomis android one phones to upgrade... and even at that it wasnt perfect.

so just because google sends out an update at a particular time, it doesnt mean all android phones get it immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,013 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-review-894669/

no NFC according to most reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

sydthebeat wrote: »

I've also seen just one review where it said NFC will be available depending on the market its sold in. If true then I would expect the European models to have it.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow when the go on sale in France?

tedpan wrote: »
    There's no NFC, check GSM arena.

Not really surprising at this price point with the rest of the flagship specs. Nothing comes close for the price.

It's not surprising, but it's nothing to do with the price point or specs. I have a €90 phone with NFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Went and picked up the base version for 315 from mi espana who claim no customs issues as they ship to Spain first and then Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

The thing I look for in a flagship killer phone is fast updates. Nice hardware but old software is something that bothers me.
    Xiaomi are slow enough with their Android one phone updates, just as an indication.
    Mi are too slow for me ref updates, leaving as soon as 6.1 plus price drops (3td mi phone )

Just noticed it works out cheaper (€294) from the eGlobal Central UK site than the .eu site.
    Yep and Nokia 6.1 plus is e25 plus cheaper, but no way of knowing if u need to use pmotel for goods,was on their site ,can't get to email customer care to verify

Yep and Nokia 6.1 plus is e25 plus cheaper, but no way of knowing if u need to use pmotel for goods,was on their site ,can't get to email customer care to verify

The 6.1 plus has a CPU with about 50% the power of the F1 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

No you don't need to use parcel motel with eGlobal.

They ship from Hong Kong to the UK in bulk and then use DPD for delivery from the UK, they guarantee that you won't have to pay customs.

Shipping time is normally 7 or 8 days.

But be sure to pay the extra for insured delivery. I'm not sure if it is still going on but at the time that I bought my Nokia 8 from them there were a lot of phones going missing from DPD in Athlone and if you haven't paid for the insurance eGlobal will be of no assistance and DPD will only deal with the shipper. Lots of posts on boards from people having this problem.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:

Do-more wrote:
    They ship from Hong Kong to the UK in bulk and then use DPD for delivery from the UK, they guarantee that you won't have to pay customs.

True about the EU site.

But, they're talking about the eglobal UK site, it's UK only and unsure if they will deliver to parcel motel..

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »

Shipping time is normally 7 or 8 days.

But be sure to pay the extra for insured delivery. I'm not sure if it is still going on but at the time that I bought my Nokia 8 from them there were a lot of phones going missing from DPD in Athlone and if you haven't paid for the insurance eGlobal will be of no assistance and DPD will only deal with the shipper. Lots of posts on boards from people having this problem.
    Thanks,that's a balls ref phones going missing,takes the gloss off it

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

There's 2 years warranty with the phone if bought off certain EU sites, I don't think eglobalcentral is included

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Mi are too slow for me ref updates, leaving as soon as 6.1 plus price drops (3td mi phone )

I have the mi A1 and and that's suppose to get fast updates but compared to other Android one phones Xiaomi have been slow at updating the mi A1.
    This Pocophone not being android one but a regular MIUI phone would worry me in terms on updates. It will supposedly get Android Pie but after that? Monthly security updates? Probably not much will be happening with it 6 months after it comes out. Maybe I will get the Mi A2 since Google have them under a knife to update the phone more regulary as part of the Android one program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

eglobalcentraluk.com/ charing 33stg insured postage to Northern Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

actuar90 wrote: »
    There's 2 years warranty with the phone if bought off certain EU sites, I don't think eglobalcentral is included
    eGlobal is not an EU site as such, the phones they supply are normally sourced in Asia. They have a 1 year warranty and you need to send the phone to their repair centre (somewhere in eastern Europe I think), so it can take some weeks.

At the time I bought my phone from them it was approx. €150 cheaper than the cheapest I could find locally so I was prepared to take the chance.

Whilst I haven't had any problems with them, for a saving of €30 - €50 I wouldn't be rushing to buy the Poco off them.

IMO it would be much better to wait a little and buy off a European retailer at the rrp and preferably from one of the Amazon sites and know that you have a rock solid guarantee.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Flash sale in Mi India website tomorrow at 7:30 am...tempted...just need to find someone to get it here...6+64gb just 21k...so thats roughly 250 eur ...

All sold out in a minute.. incredible

If 128gb is any use to you, that model seems to still be in stock on the UK Site, works out at just under €317.

It's now on the normal site 331e :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Looks like the OnePlus 6 smokes it in a head to head... but we are only a few days into its life so software updates still to come. (and not forgetting that price)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why is everyone so obsessed with updates tbh? There hasnt been a killer feature added to Android in ages, its just minor tweaks. Security isnt the big deal people make it out to be either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

god's toy wrote:
    Looks like the OnePlus 6 smokes it in a head to head... but we are only a few days into its life so software updates still to come. (and not forgetting that price)

Miui is always heavy Oxygen OS will beat it any day. Custom Roms shud decrease the gap.

Advertisement