Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is at fault here?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

People need to realise that being an asshole and being in the wrong are not the same thing. Red car is an idiot, blue car left their lane and hit them.

More evidence that the majority of drivers shouldn't be on the road.

That.

Most people can't turn a corner without ending up in the opposite lane. Let alone situations with ambiguity and judgement.

Imagine if we ever had flying cars. The daily death toll would be in the millions.
    That's generally because people are too lazy to turn the steering wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Red at fault however with insurance blue could be at fault as he crashed into car. They did not show due car. Was indicator on (yea it's a thing) plus if going into a lane should check for traffic in oùtside lane and if so yield as you would have no crash. 2 pieces of advice I was given 1 drive like the person in front does not know the rules of the road and 2 drive ad if no one knows the rules if the road

What if the red car is going at twice the speed of the blue car?
    Conceivably the blue car had no opportunity to avoid the red car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

lawred2 wrote: »
    you've used this trope a number of times. Not one person has claimed that the blue car shouldn't be aware of what's to his left..

he of course needs to be when there are drivers who think its perfectly acceptable to travel around a roundabout in the outside line.

that still doesn't reduce red car's responsibility for incorrect use of a roundabout.

you are one that most people should be fearful of meeting on a roundabout.

LOL, if I was driving the red car, realised I was in an inappropriate lane and wanted to continue around, I'd sure as hell be signalling and checking over my right shoulder in case others were trying to cut across my path. That doesn't absolve you or Henry Ford above from checking what's on your inside if you want to exit left off the roundabout.

Off topic, why do people persist in calling the left lane on a roundabout the 'outside' lane?? If you're driving on a dual carriageway, the left lane is the inside lane and the right lane is the outside (overtaking) lane. Why when you reach a roundabout, do you suddenly decide to switch terms! Talk about confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BarryD2 wrote: »
    LOL, if I was driving the red car, realised I was in an inappropriate lane and wanted to continue around, I'd sure as hell be signalling and checking over my right shoulder in case others were trying to cut across my path. That doesn't absolve you or Henry Ford above from checking what's on your inside if you want to exit left off the roundabout.

Off topic, why do people persist in calling the left lane on a roundabout the 'outside' lane?? If you're driving on a dual carriageway, the left lane is the inside lane and the right lane is the outside lane. Why when you reach a roundabout, do you suddenly decide to switch terms! Talk about confusing.

because it's the outside of the circle

hardly rocket science

I wouldn't use outside lane as a term for dual carriageway or motorway personally but I've heard it used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

GreeBo wrote: »
    Well on every roundabout you are at the very least merging into a lane (the lane on the roundabout)
    On any 2 lane roundabout to get into RHS then you are crossing the first lane.

But I think this argument is irrelevant tbh, roundabouts are designed to be used a certain way, red car went against this so they are at fault.

The whole problem is they are not.

The newly redone N20 RB in Mallow is a prime example. It hosts the Cork-Limerick traffic with 2+2 carriageway coming from both North and South sides. Yet it still uses the 19th century circular markings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What if the red car is going at twice the speed of the blue car?
    Conceivably the blue car had no opportunity to avoid the red car.

Mirrors for use not only in test. I would not see how could not see unless red doing 100 on roundabout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

if you follow the road markings you can't turn right. There should be a straight ahead and a right turn arrow in the right lane if a right turn is allowed

Mirrors for use not only in test. I would not see how could not see unless red doing 100 on roundabout

Well on a roundabout someone behind you in a lane to your left could actually be on your right hand side, most people wouldnt look over their right shoulder before turning left...?

lawred2 wrote: »
    because it's the outside of the circle

hardly rocket science

I wouldn't use outside lane as a term for dual carriageway or motorway personally but I've heard it used.

It is a proper term - and inside lane means the left one (closer to the left curb), while outside is the right one (further from the left curb). Funnily they get switch when talking about lanes in the RB :D

And that's why I avoid using those terms completely too.

grogi wrote: »
    The whole problem is they are not.

The newly redone N20 RB in Mallow is a prime example. It hosts the Cork-Limerick traffic with 2+2 carriageway coming from both North and South sides. Yet it still uses the 19th century circular markings...

I treat every roundabout as a spiral roundabout, otherwise its not possible to use them without everyone having to use the green cross code before each exit.

I dont think the circular lane markings actually mean anything other and a vain attempt to try stop people from going straight on rally style and cutting off the right hand lane.:o

• Advertisement

if you follow the road markings you can't turn right. There should be a straight ahead and a right turn arrow in the right lane if a right turn is allowed

Oh Lord.

The directional arrows are important only at the moment of entering the RB. If you intend to continue in particular direction, you are suppose to enter from particular lane. They don't say anything about how you should behave at the roundabout though, you are free to change lanes (provided you yield to the traffic in the lane you want to change to and if this not prohibited by solid lane dividers of course) and do other things that are allowed by Traffic Laws.

It is a proper term - and inside lane means the left one (closer to the left curb), while outside is the right one (further from the left curb). Funnily they get switch when talking about lanes in the RB :D

I think it's easier to keep it to left, middle and right lanes

i guess its because there are curbs equidistant on both sides!

Well on a roundabout someone behind you in a lane to your left could actually be on your right hand side, most people wouldnt look over their right shoulder before turning left...?

Sorry what

Sorry what

Its a circle, so if you are in right hand lane another car in the left hand lane can actually be oriented to your right, depending on how far behind you they are.

Put it another way, a car can be so far behind you on a roundabout that they are ahead of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Its a circle, so if you are in right hand lane another car in the left hand lane can actually be oriented to your right, depending on how far behind you they are.

Put it another way, a car can be so far behind you on a roundabout that they are ahead of you.

If they are so far ahead of you or behind you, then you are safe to change lanes and exit roundabout if you wish.

Ok I get you would be a fair bit back and be bombing it but blue car would still need to show more care when crossing lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi All

Sorry for the crude drawing.

In the below scenario, there is a roundabout which essentially just for calming. In this situation, there are 2 lanes leading up to the roundabout and 2 lanes at the only exit (12 midnight)

There are no directional arrows marked on the road, only 2 yield markings in each lane. Its marked as 2 lanes (i.e not a single lane with double queueing)

If the red car, on the outside lane, turns right to go back around the roundabout (and back to where they started, no other exits) and the blue car, on inside lane is continuing straight.... In your opinion, who is at fault for the below scenario? The red or blue car?

Screen_Shot_2018_08_20_at_22_58_22.png

They are both wrong, both entered on wrong lane for the direction they were taking, Red should have been on inside lane, and blue on outside, both did not know how to use a round about, and a very simple roundabout at that

sKeith wrote: »
    If they are so far ahead of you or behind you, then you are safe to change lanes and exit roundabout if you wish.

Depending on what speed they are doing though, if Red car is moving significantly faster than blue car then blue car can check, indicate, take the exit and then bang, red car has cut them off.

You cant expect blue car to keep checking their left as the exit a roundabout correctly, that would be far more dangerous and arguably why we have rules on how to use a roundabout, so people dont need a 360* view of their car.

goat2 wrote: »
    They are both wrong, both entered on wrong lane for the direction they were taking, Red should have been on inside lane, and blue on outside, both did not know how to use a round about, and a very simple roundabout at that

Blue has a choice of 2 lanes for going straight on since there are 2 lanes on exit.

• Advertisement

Blue has a choice of 2 lanes for going straight on since there are 2 lanes on exit.

Red then should have placed themselves in the proper position entering the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

If worries me greatly that 'The Rape Of Lucretia' might hold a licence and driving on our roads. My wife had a accident in exactly the same position as the blue car and the red car insurers thought i I possibly be a soft touch suggesting both cars were at fault. I asked them did they have a different Rules of the Road booklet and then they admitted being the cause of the accident.

They both entered roundabout on the wrong lane

nope - only one of them did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Blue didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well on every roundabout you are at the very least merging into a lane (the lane on the roundabout)
    On any 2 lane roundabout to get into RHS then you are crossing the first lane.
    Merging maybe but that's not the same as changing lane. And I agree to go right you will be crossing a lane marking coming from the right, but that's not changing lane either. Otherwise people going straight on at crossroads would be changing lanes. Maybe it's technically correct but beyond the level most people need to understand how roads work in order to be safe drivers.

Take this as an example:
    krr.jpg

I don't think anyone could say the red path here is changing lanes, merging maybe but it's a case of two lanes becoming one. The green crosses a lane marking perpendicular but unrelated to it but does not change lanes or alter their course of direction in any way. The blue path crosses a lane marking which later defines the split in its own lane but at the point of crossing they're still very much in their original lane.

I would never have entered in that way, if I were going straight ahead, I would have entered on outside lane, and if I were going back it would have been inside, but, it is hard to know what other drivers are thinking, But overall, Red was completely wrong, that is my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Mellor wrote: »
    This thread is crazy, and really confirm that people have no clue how to use roundabouts. It's not about the o'clock position, the lane you are in, who gets where first etc. It's simply being in the right lane, and yielding if you need to cross a lane.

The ignorance of the people is largely due to laziness of councils and other with crap road markings.

The OPs sketch is too basic to know who did what. You shouldn't being crossing a lane when exiting.
    If you draw on lane markings are direction arrows on the approach. It's very clear who is at fault.

ZlLA7c0.png

The outer lanes don't yield as you cross them, the outer lanes leave the roundabout and the inner lane is the outer lane for the nest junction.

You should never need to do that at a properly marked roundabout.
    That's exactly what I imagined the actual markings to be but the OP would have to confirm if the worn markings match that. Spirals are great but even concentric circles (like in Spain) are better than no markings or ones so worn away they might as well not be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Oh Lord.

The directional arrows are important only at the moment of entering the RB. If you intend to continue in particular direction, you are suppose to enter from particular lane. They don't say anything about how you should behave at the roundabout though, you are free to change lanes (provided you yield to the traffic in the lane you want to change to and if this not prohibited by solid lane dividers of course) and do other things that are allowed by Traffic Laws. "
    Oh Lord
    The arrows are to show what lane goes where in terms of exit or  else why are arrows  shown turning right in the right lanes on the actual roads? The right lane in op drawing should be like right lane at https://www.drivingtests.co.nz/roadcode-questions/car/road-position/what-must-you-do-when-turning-right-at-a/ 
    In fact if you remove the arrows from the equation both cars are wrong. The blue should have entered in left lane and the red in the right lane as he was turning right

Also on a roundabout when changing lanes you should always check mirror and look over shoulder. You should change lane just after the exit before the one you intend to take so it is often necessary to change lanes.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Merging maybe but that's not the same as changing lane. And I agree to go right you will be crossing a lane marking coming from the right, but that's not changing lane either. Otherwise people going straight on at crossroads would be changing lanes. Maybe it's technically correct but beyond the level most people need to understand how roads work in order to be safe drivers.

Take this as an example:
    krr.jpg

I don't think anyone could say the red path here is changing lanes, merging maybe but it's a case of two lanes becoming one. The green crosses a lane marking perpendicular but unrelated to it but does not change lanes or alter their course of direction in any way. The blue path crosses a lane marking which later defines the split in its own lane but at the point of crossing they're still very much in their original lane.

But there is no lane where the red car passes the blue car....thats not a lane. There may be road markings but there is no lane since under no scenario should a car in the red cars position be doing anything other than exit the roundabout.

The blue car has two valid options from where they are, exit or continue on the roundabout, both are equally valid, the only difference being how they are indicating, so they are potentially in two lanes, I would argue that irrespective of what choice they take, they do not change lanes, its the opposite of a merge, 1 lane becomes 2.

/edit
    Ah, your image just loaded for me, so yes, exactly as in your middle/blue example.

Advertisement