Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is at fault here?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Random Bloke

DubTony wrote: »
    Yes I am saying he didn’t cross the left lane. The left lane doesn’t extend past 12 o clock irrespective of lines on the road (unless the road markings say so i.e.. arrows)

A cyclist doing a 360 should use his head and realise that lots of cars will go straight through and that he should keep to the right of them.
    I’ll assume you’re referring to roundabouts that have a cycle lane going the full way round on the left side.
    In fairness the guy who laid that red tar/drew those lines should be fired/shot given that any cyclist following that route and travelling more than 180 degrees is putting himself in serious danger. I’ve only seen one cyclist use the roundabout in this way and he signaled clearly (good for him. All others I’ve seen have taken the safe right hand side.

Anyway, I’m surprised nobody has referred to this post

When another driver cut me off at a junction with 2 lanes turning right, the cop that showed up actually drew him a diagram of how he should use the junction. He used the words “Stay In The Same Lane”

Driving across a junction isn’t regarded as changing lanes.
    It’s called driving through a junction.
    It’s called Crossing another road.
    It’s not and never has been called Changing Lanes.

Now THAT’S basic stuff.

Hopefully we can agree on the fact that the Rules of the Road, published by the Road Safety Authority, prescribe the law. Here's a link to them

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/Rules-of-the-Road/

See page 133. This page identifies why the blue car broke the Rules of the Road. This page confirms that cars exiting a roundabout have a duty to watch out for, and give plenty of room to, vehicles intending to leave by the next exit, traffic that may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout, etc etc.

That's the law.

The blue car will not be in a position to demonstrate compliance with the law, as it traversed the left lane of the roundabout without watching for, and giving plenty of room to, a vehicle that was intending to leave at the next exit, even if it was positioned incorrectly.

The red car will be responsible for it's non-compliance with the law, but that does not absolve the blue car.

In practice, insurance companies will split the liability on behalf of the drivers in cases like this, where both parties broke the law. If one drivers does not agree, and wants to litigate, it can do so but judges don't like their time being wasted and will typically come down heavily on the party they feel responsible for wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hopefully we can agree on the fact that the Rules of the Road, published by the Road Safety Authority, prescribe the law. Here's a link to them

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/Rules-of-the-Road/

/.../

That's the law.

If you read the thread carefully, you'd see that it is something we will not agree. It is not law. And it is explicitly stated in the RotR.
    In Ireland the law consists of Constitution, Acts, statuary documents under the Acts and the precedents. Publications, even by a state agency, are not law.

RotR is a practical tutorial of how to navigate on the road - and it is based on the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Instead of a new thread I thought this should go here since it's the same subject..

Right....This is Kinsale Road Roundabout in Cork - I need something confirmed.

Can you good internet people confirm you CANNOT change lane if you are in the blue lane.

BLUE - Straight on only and CANNOT switch lanes
    YELLOW - Straight on AND CAN ALSO go under the flyover

Cork_Roundabout.jpg

Anybody in the blue lane CANNOT switch lanes taking the red line below

Cork_Roundabout_Cannot_Change_lanes.jpg

This is correct isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I go through this junction nearly every day and I'm not sure what you're asking here. But in general you can make any lane change you want and take any exit you want on any roundabout as long as you do it safely and you're not crossing a continuous white line or cutting off someone in their lane.

If you're asking should you normally continue round the roundabout from the third lane at the bottom of the picture the answer is no, you can't cut someone off exiting the roundabout in lane 4. But if There no-one there and you do all the necessary checks and signals then there's no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Lekrub wrote: »
    This is correct isn't it?

Not correct. You can cross such lanes. Ideally, you are in the correct one. But if not cutting across the right of way or causing a danger, you can switch despite the arrows. The one you cannot change lane on are when 'left turn only' or whatever are signed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Say 2 cars side by side at the traffic lights,
    One in blue and one in yellow...the yellow has both options - can go straight or around ...but blue can only can straight.

If blue wants to go around they are in the wrong cos should of got into the correct lane before..

So if they tap yellow, they are at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Lekrub wrote: »
    Say 2 cars side by side at the traffic lights,
    One in blue and one in yellow...the yellow has both options - can go straight or around ...but blue can only can straight.

If blue wants to go around they are in the wrong cos should of got into the correct lane before..

So if they tap yellow, they are at fault.

Yes.

Advertisement