Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Lovely blue skies and sunshine in Limerick city today, getting nicer as the day goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I never post here but read a lot. Just coming on to say this...West Limerick yet another lovely,mild,dry day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

more drizzly muck here, feeling quite chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The Winter that keeps on giving.

Well the only thing it's giving me
    is depression lol. Thankfully things look at least more mobile next weekend, well around mid month anyway,something, anything to break out of this rut. Hopefully by the end of the month some proper winter weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No change in weather conditions here. Cloudy dry and calm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I think the holes in the cloud are on a Rota system getting round to everyone briefly
    Today it's the turn of east wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Interesting reading such varying opinions on the current weather if nothing else!

Not quite sure where I stand, on one hand the mildness and lack of wind and rain has been great but on the other hand the lack of sunshine is really getting to me. My house is fairly dark at the best of times so feels like living in perpetual twilight recently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Windy and raw is seen as better than mild and calm according to some here......

Jaysus, you do love to make shìt up for an oul moan.

Anyway, in other news, the cherry blossoms in Stephen's Green are starting to bloom, which is pretty fecking early.

5ORdf4I_d.jpg?maxwidth=1280&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Interesting reading such varying opinions on the current weather if nothing else!

Not quite sure where I stand, on one hand the mildness and lack of wind and rain has been great but on the other hand the lack of sunshine is really getting to me. My house is fairly dark at the best of times so feels like living in perpetual twilight recently

I'm in the same boat as you pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

the first daffodil is blooming, the crocus is out, and all the lawnmowers seem to beout. it's lovely weather, a bit overcast but warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Billcarson wrote: »
    Groundhog day. Day after day the same thing. This Winter so far has been a weather enthusiasts nightmare. Although has been interesting following the development's in the strat.

Taking A WEEK OFF from this. Its soul destroying....:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

MJohnston wrote: »
    Jaysus, you do love to make shìt up for an oul moan.

Anyway, in other news, the cherry blossoms in Stephen's Green are starting to bloom, which is pretty fecking early.

5ORdf4I_d.jpg?maxwidth=1280&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

What have I made up? Did you read MTCs forecast this morning? I’m not moaning at all ffs. Keep the personal attacks going you might get a few likes for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

May bush blooming on the greenway this morning way to early

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

What have I made up? Did you read MTCs forecast this morning? I’m not moaning at all ffs. Keep the personal attacks going you might get a few likes for that.

Show me where are these hordes of posters that want the weather to be "Windy and raw", by your words.

MTCs forecast is a forecast, not a wishlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

MTC mentions in his forecast this morning that with any luck the high will be gone soon. Show me where I used the word hoardes while you are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pedantism at its finest really.

Not only is the weather like groundhog Day, so is that argument! Every single year it happens several times and every single year there's a small number of posters that completely fail to realise that either a). Not everyone likes the same thing as them and/or b). In a forum about weather, you're going to have people who are interested in weather, therefore enjoy interesting weather.

Now please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It's managed to get even greyer here, thick fog with visibility down to nothing, also heavy drizzle for a while but seems to have stopped again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not sure if these stats have already been posted by Syran, but Cork Apt up to yesterday, has recorded 14 consecutive days with zero sun. That equates to two full weeks, or nearly half a month, without even the briefest break in the cloud.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Not sure if these stats have already been posted by Syran, but Cork Apt up to yesterday, has recorded 14 consecutive days with zero sun. That equates to two full weeks, or nearly half a month, without even the briefest break in the cloud.

:)
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Cork Airport's top 10 dullest months on record (not just December):

1. Dec 1991; 17.9 hrs
    2. Dec 1977; 19.8 hrs
    3. Dec 1987; 20.5 hrs
    4. Feb 1985; 21.9 hrs
    5. Nov 1983; 23.9 hrs
    6. Jan 1992; 24.0 hrs
    7. Dec 2015; 24.3 hrs
    8. Nov 1968; 25.3 hrs
    9. Jan 1966; 26.5 hrs
    10. Jan 1968; 27.4 hrs

In the past 27 days (Dec 10th to Jan 4th), Cork Airport has recorded 16.2 hrs of sunshine (including 19 dull days and 14 consecutive dull days up to January 4th) which is just below that of December 1991 as shown above.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Slightly related, what's the longest ever run of consecutive days without sun? Any station, any time of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Just my luck to move to northern norway for the winter and get more rain than ireland does while greece and libya are snowed under :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

wakka12 wrote: »
    Just my luck to move to northern norway for the winter and get more rain than ireland does while greece and libya are snowed under :o

Tell us more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Slightly related, what's the longest ever run of consecutive days without sun? Any station, any time of the year.

Not sure how many days it was but Sherkin Island had only 2.8 hours of sunshine in December 2015.

Mayo holds the distinction of having the lowest recorded for 6/12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Tell us more!

Right now its just impossibly grey,temps hovering around 4-5 C just a tad too warm to snow, there is zero sun at all for days on end, its always windy, and raining more than 50% of the time and when its not its usually a near constant very light drizzle, this along with less than 5 hours of daylight makes it seem like ireland has good weather by comparison! I quite like this type of weather though,but could understand why it depresses most people, but hope to see snow and clear days soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TECH85

wakka12 wrote: »
    Right now its just impossibly grey,temps hovering around 4-5 C just a tad too warm to snow, there is zero sun at all for days on end, its always windy, and raining more than 50% of the time and when its not its usually a near constant very light drizzle, this along with less than 5 hours of daylight makes it seem like ireland has good weather by comparison! I quite like this type of weather though,but could understand why it depresses most people, but hope to see snow and clear days soon!

That sounds like hell :-¤

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

How are the background signals doing these days? The models are still pumping out more of the same crud anyway, nothing catching my interest anyway. Horrific winter. Dullest in years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Doesn't look like we will see much change over the next 6 to 7 days, staying mostly cloudy and relatively mild.

Signs then of increasing unsettled spell beginning around the 14th of January with an Atlantic influence resuming and turning a bit colder. There is the potential for some stormy conditions with strong winds and bands of rain from about the 17th of January.

Most ensemble charts are showing around the 22nd of January (way out in FI) there are signs of a mid Atlantic ridge of high pressure which could bring down cold northerlies over us, which could give wintry showers over the north and possibly the west. No real sign of northern blocking as of yet, so that northerly may not last long.

Some of the ensemble charts are very dissapointing showing a highly active Atlantic and jetstream for the second half of January with no signs of any blocking, real cold or any response to the SSW event. Hopefully these charts do not verify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Gonzo wrote: »
    Doesn't look like we will see much change over the next 6 to 7 days, staying mostly cloudy and relatively mild.

Signs then of increasing unsettled spell beginning around the 14th of January with an Atlantic influence resuming and turning a bit colder. There is the potential for some stormy conditions with strong winds and bands of rain from about the 17th of January.

Most ensemble charts are showing around the 22nd of January (way out in FI) there are signs of a mid Atlantic ridge of high pressure which could bring down cold northerlies over us, which could give wintry showers over the north and possibly the west. No real sign of northern blocking as of yet, so that northerly may not last long.

Some of the ensemble charts are very dissapointing showing a highly active Atlantic and jetstream for the second half of January with no signs of any blocking, real cold or any response to the SSW event. Hopefully these charts do not verify.

Yeah, no sign of the models "struggling" and other such euphemisms that get used. They are pretty consistent run to run in showing no real cold in the foreseeable / medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Really have enjoyed weather for past few weeks. Have been able to get out and do things outside. More please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yeah, no sign of the models "struggling" and other such euphemisms that get used. They are pretty consistent run to run in showing no real cold in the foreseeable / medium term.

Models consistent? I must be looking differents outputs, that includes when they show cold btw!

Advertisement