Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sdanseo wrote: »
    Still cloudy, skies clearing from the west will cause temperatures to drop further.

nebu_uk.png

why is there a yellow splodge right above me?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Graces7 wrote: »
    why is there a yellow splodge right above me?

No data.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No data.

ah! thank you! all of mayo .....

Graces7 wrote: »

ah! thank you! all of mayo .....

It's disappeared now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've just been thinking one thing I'd like to mention about this January, and very few people are talking about and that is how dry this month has been. Will be interesting to see the rainfall totals for this month on the 1st of February. It is quite unusual to get a fairly dry January.

just looking at Met Eireann's stats so far for Dunsany up to 26th of January.

Rainfall so far totals a well below average 31.9mm. There doesn't appear to be much precipitation forecast for the Dunsany/south meath area till Thursday 31st, so this is going to finish a very dry month.

Makes a change from that terrible November and fairly wet December.

The Mean Temperature for Dunsany is also well above normal for January. it currently stands at 5.8C.

January 2018 finished with a 5.1C. February 2018 finished with a chilly 3.2, and March 2018 only clocked up to 4.4C.

Will be interesting to compare January-March 2019 to the 2018 values.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Just 13.2mm here so far Gonzo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Just 13.2mm here so far Gonzo

That wouldn't look out of place during a June heatwave month, that's an incredibly low figure for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Close to 120mm in Castlebar, but far better than the near 280mm we got in January last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

46.1mm so far at Cork Airport vs last years 151mm, 108 in 2017 and 251mm in 2016. Mean is 131.4 so pretty below average there too.

Roches Point is at 31.1mm so far, not sure which is more accurate for the city.

Dublin Airport has measured a very low 19.8mm of rain so far since January 1st, which is similar to the rainfall total during May 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I was going to post it in the stats thread but since it's a topic of discussion here, these are the driest Januaries on record for selected Irish stations with their respective January 2019 totals up to the 26th too. Keep in mind, some of these stations have a very short record.

Pc0tSw9.png

The 2010s have seen their fair share of mixed Januaries. Exceptionally wet ones (record breakingly so) in 2014 and 2016 for some. Whilst January 2010, 2011 and 2017 were very dry for a few or more places, they weren't record dry.

0zxTTTz.png

Data from Met Éireann.

It's disappeared now!

lol.. misread that as mayo has... punch drunk from lack of sleep!

Blessedly quiet and calm at last. west mayo offshore paradise

Gonzo wrote: »
    That wouldn't look out of place during a June heatwave month, that's an incredibly low figure for January.

Anomalous to the area in the dry month
    Tullow about 20 miles west as the crow flies is on 17mm
    Oak park further west 23mm
    Weather varies locally a lot more than stations featured on met.ie
    We're lucky to have quite a few private stations with good kit so can see this
    Had oceans of rain from mid October to mid December

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

19.4mm so far this January in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No data.

No cloud ;)

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Anomalous to the area in the dry month
    Tullow about 20 miles west as the crow flies is on 17mm
    Oak park further west 23mm
    Weather varies locally a lot more than stations featured on met.ie
    We're lucky to have quite a few private stations with good kit so can see this
    Had oceans of rain from mid October to mid December

I'm amazed in the differences a few miles can make. Dunsany with 31.9mm and Dublin Airport with 19mm are only about 30km apart. I live about 6km east of Dunsany and even here I find it hard to believe that as much as 31.9mm would have fallen here. My location is probably more like 25mm. If only I had the equipment to record my own data!.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

The latest ICON run that's just finished is ever so slightly interesting for many people next Thursday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yep. Thursday looking increasingly like an event for many (but not everyone), wind ward coasts always vulnerable to the milder on shore wind. Immediately inland from that though it looks exciting atm for cold fans.

Still need to see exactly what the angle of attack is going to be so some changes to come yet but it looks good right now.

ICON tries to illustrate the onshore element there on the east coast

iconeu_uk1-1-99-0.png?27-16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork looks to just be below that snow line that Icon is prediciting on Thursday with rain/sleet instead, although hopefully not.

Midlands/east could be in with a treat though if that actually comes off o.O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

This thread only covers events to the 30th so I think we may need a separate thread for the possible event of the 31st. Latest GFS is in broad agreement with the latest ICON however looking at the charts, I expect quite a mess in a lot of places and if things go as currently forecast, I wouldn't foresee much lying snow along the east coast. Some people could get a right old dumping with the majority (east and south coast dwellers) of posters expressing frustration of the lack of lying snow on Thursday.

Even myself, at about 40km from the east coast and a small bit of altitude looks like getting a sloppy mess. In any case, the models will be getting scrutinised in the coming days because following it, there's nothing particularly interesting, snow wise, on the horizon. And the clock is ticking!

highdef wrote: »
    This thread only covers events to the 30th so I think we may need a separate thread for the possible event of the 31st. Latest GFS is in broad agreement with the latest ICON however looking at the charts, I expect quite a mess in a lot of places and if things go as currently forecast, I wouldn't foresee much lying snow along the east coast. Some people could get a right old dumping with the majority (east and south coast dwellers) of posters expressing frustration of the lack of lying snow on Thursday.

Even myself, at about 40km from the east coast and a small bit of altitude looks like getting a sloppy mess. In any case, the models will be getting scrutinised in the coming days because following it, there's nothing particularly interesting, snow wise, on the horizon. And the clock is ticking!

This thread is the winter thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Best let the mods decide. I can open a separate thread for Thursday but then again it's all part of the same cold snap so maybe best just to extend existing thread to encompass the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Up in the Wicklow mountains today

70583-DAD-0958-48-C3-9-DD1-DAF7-B4-CBE373.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Regarding Thursday onshore winds will keep dew point a degree or 2 higher along the east coast. Well inland could be a different story.

highdef wrote: »

I keep mentioning the early December 2017 epinside as a template
    Much of the Midlands got a fair fall of snow including carlow town
    A few kilometres east in hilly Tullow,just rain because of that sea air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

the threads on boards.ie weather are forever skewed towards an east coast bias,if it isnt a foot of snow from an easterly,nothing else matters.

im so eternally sick of it,its a bit like the narrative over on the netweather threads with the south of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

the threads on boards.ie weather are forever skewed towards an east coast bias,if it isnt a foot of snow from an easterly,nothing else matters.

im so eternally sick of it,its a bit like the narrative over on the netweather threads with the south of England.

Population mass innit...

Equally the posts like yours that east coasters have to apologise for become draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Population mass innit...

Equally the posts like yours that east coasters have to apologise for become draining.

I wouldn’t apologise because in winter nothing else matters but a foot of snow from an easterly ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

im so eternally sick of it,its a bit like the narrative over on the netweather threads.

The population is such that far more people on east coast,
    You would like them to what exactly, put up the bunting for an event out west that wont concern east coast?
    Its hardly worth moaning about on boards!!
    Your weather in west will be what it will be regardless of what those in east think or post

Advertisement