Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** The Official CAO Offers Thread 2018 ** (Read first post!!)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    Why does it make a difference? A place is a place.
    There are financial benefits to DARE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are financial benefits to DARE.

Yes I understand that, but that will all be sorted out in the next few days. I would be just glad of the place now. Many people disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Kbvdpo

Jolaxxcf wrote: »
    My friend got into dentistry but she does not know if it is on dare or not can you please help?? Anyone who is doing dare

Dentistry was 589 points for UCC & 590 for trinity. If your friend got less than this, then she got in through dare.

She could have got more than the cut-off points, and still be included in the DARE programme though.

Many HEAR and DARE students each year don't need the points "lift", but they do need the other supports.

@spurious: Agreed, if she can afford to take place without the support. If not, she's still in limbo, and probably even more on edge: she's been offered place, it's tantalisingly within her grasp, but ....

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

What time do they send out the text saying what offer you get at...cant log in to check online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

must admit the system is pretty slick. Offer available at 6, and letter from the cao received this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Anyone any views on how much arts in ucd might drop in round two?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Friend has an offer they are OK with, but there is one they would prefer to get in the available courses on the CAO website. What should they do in this situation, do you not accept your first offer and select the second one?

Any advice would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭westtipp

My son is short 1 point for Business Studies in UL :(
    What are the chance he'll get a second round offer, based on previous years second round offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

westtipp wrote: »
    My son is short 1 point for Business Studies in UL :(
    What are the chance he'll get a second round offer, based on previous years second round offers?

Last year's points - http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl8_17.pdf

Hope he gets sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

Does a star next to a course indicate that the course is filled as people equivalent with the lowest points can't get in, and there won't be a drop in points for second round offers?

Or am I considering it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BatMaths

Hulgerx10 wrote:
    Does a star next to a course indicate that the course is filled as people equivalent with the lowest points can't get in, and there won't be a drop in points for second round offers?

I think that means it's full and some people who even had the minimum amount of points were not offered a place on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

username?! wrote: »
    Friend has an offer they are OK with, but there is one they would prefer to get in the available courses on the CAO website. What should they do in this situation, do you not accept your first offer and select the second one?

Contact the cao. I think she needs to make a vacant place application.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

MAORISH wrote: »
    How to I find the 2018 points for the Trinity course economics and maths.. Its the combined TR degree course where you pick 2 subjects.. Think its tr207

google career portal and check both economics and maths.. Are check individual subjects on rimes

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

I would encourage to accept this offer and make a vacant places application as well. If they let this offer lapse they may be left with nothing in the event the vacant places application is unsuccessful.

sue97 wrote: »
    Last year's points - http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl8_17.pdf

Hope he gets sorted.
    Do note though that while the first column shows the final points, i.e. after Round 2 (or 3 if relevant), the second column is the MIDPOINT or median points score out of those candidates who were offered places. It doesn't represent a fall of 41 points between Round 1 and the final points.
    Hulgerx10 wrote: »

Or am I considering it wrong?
    It means there were people who didn't get in at the cut-off quoted.

That said, not everyone may accept their place, and some places may be available in R2.

They will be offered first to the people who have the quoted cutoff points but lost out on random selection, so a drop in points, while not completely impossible, is highly unlikely.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I think she needs to make a vacant place application.
    Lynchy747 wrote: »
    I would encourage to accept this offer and make a vacant places application as well. If they let this offer lapse they may be left with nothing in the event the vacant places application is unsuccessful.
    Spot on, it she's ok with her current offer, she should "bank" it, and apply for the vacant place as per the information here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I'm looking to apply for Dentistry next year and noticed the points were:

TCD: 590*
    UCC: 589*

I've also noticed there can be further revisions, even after Round 2? Possibly as late as October? It seems you have to wait a while for the final points to be put up on the CAO website, does anyone know when the final points do get put up? It's usually before christmas I think isn't it?

I do 4 A levels in the north and the way it works depends on the grades I get so:

1A* 3A's = 555 points
    2A* 2A's = 585 points
    3A* 1A's = 615 points
    4A*'s = 625 points

As you can see if Dentistry goes over 585 then that becomes a problem as I need an extra A*. All other years UCC have Dentistry below 585 and this year they've got it above 585 for the first time ever which worries me if there are no further revisions, so I'm curious to know when the final points tally get put up.

I've also noticed there can be further revisions, even after Round 2? Possibly as late as October? It seems you have to wait a while for the final points to be put up on the CAO website, does anyone know when the final points do get put up? It's usually before christmas I think isn't it?
    It's a good question, Thomas, and I'm afraid I don't have an exact answer for you.

For most courses, points won't change after Round 2, but for high demand courses like medicine for example, offers may still be made into late September / early October.

What usually happens there is that, say, Trinity finds itself with a couple of places after R2, they make additional offers to people who often may have accepted places in other colleges, but who then decide to transfer to TCD, which opens up places in the college they initially accepted, etc.

Realistically, final points for all courses will be known to CAO in early to mid-October, but whether they rush to publish them at that stage, I don't know. Probably not, tbh, I suspect everyone in Eglinton St. feels like they've just come out of 15 rounds with Conor McGregor by that time of year, and bits like sorting that probably proceed at a more sedate pace!

Should definitely be available well before Christmas though, and colleges will normally have that kind of info on their website for their own courses long before the new CAO applications round opens in January.

Do note though that while the first column shows the final points, i.e. after Round 2 (or 3 if relevant), the second column is the MIDPOINT or median points score out of those candidates who were offered places. It doesn't represent a fall of 41 points between Round 1 and the final points.

It means there were people who didn't get in at the cut-off quoted.

That said, not everyone may accept their place, and some places may be available in R2.

They will be offered first to the people who have the quoted cutoff points but lost out on random selection, so a drop in points, while not completely impossible, is highly unlikely.

Spot on, it she's ok with her current offer, she should "bank" it, and apply for the vacant place as per the information here.

Ok thanks for that info. I didn't know that was possible. How would you do that?

Do you accept the current offer and open another cao application?

Nope, you amend your existing one.
    - The Available Places application procedure is similar to the Change of Mind procedure. However, except for courses in which available places have been advertised, you may not re-order your original course choices. Log in to your application using 'My Application' and click on 'Add Level 8 Available Place Course' or 'Add Level 7/6 Available Place Course' as appropriate and follow instructions.
    - Available/Vacant place course codes may only be inserted higher in your list of preferences than any offer which you have received to date.
    - If you still wish to be considered for any existing courses, you must insert all available place courses below those you wish to retain.
    - If you have already applied to CAO this year, then an Available Places application is not separate to your existing application, you are inserting courses into your existing list of course choices.

All the above and more at the page I linked in my previous post! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Dmi3

Well, I got 477 points in LC 2018. Its sickening but UCD Computer Science is 478 as of Round 1.

Last year Round 1 was 477 and then 476 in Round 2.

I dont want to go anywhere but UCD so I am going to a PLC interview on the 23rd incase the course doesnt drop by 1 point....

What are my chances I get in on the 29th and prevent myself from another year of PLC over a point? Thanks :(

See my answer in your standalone thread.

All the above and more at the page I linked in my previous post! ;)

But how would I bank this offer they have already?

But how would I bank this offer they have already?
    You simply accept the offer in Round 1.

Any offers of Available Places will be made in Round 2 (or subsequently), and work pretty much the same as if you were lucky enough to get offered a choice from further up your original list in Round 2 ... you either:

1) stick with the offer you accepted in Round 1

or

2) accept the new offer

Edit: ok, I think I may see where the confusion is stemming from!!
    When I said "no" I meant "no, you don't need a new CAO application, you amend your existing one" not "no, you don't accept the offer in R1".

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Sophie555

Hi guys, I handed my viewing form back in last Tuesday but still haven't received a viewing day/time. I'm a bit concerned and wondering if this is normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

I'm in the same boat, although I gave mine in last Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sophie555 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I handed my viewing form back in last Tuesday but still haven't received a viewing day/time. I'm a bit concerned and wondering if this is normal?

Ya. I suppose well get it in a few days.were we supposed to put down a date and time that suited us?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Sophie555

Ya. I suppose well get it in a few days.were we supposed to put down a date and time that suited us?

I dont think so, I didn't anyways! I think we're just assigned one!!

Advertisement