Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pixel 3 thread, featuring 'The Notch'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭notcarlos

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'm assuming they'll definitely be locked. I'm just hoping that's where it ends though.

All people are saying that Verizon’s come unlocked and all other US carrier and no bloatwares that can’t be uninstalled. No logos either.

I wento Vodafon yesterday and they said there 14 day cooling off period only applies to online order and not in store. I might just pre order it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

notcarlos wrote: »
    All people are saying that Verizon’s come unlocked and all other US carrier and no bloatwares that can’t be uninstalled. No logos either.

I wento Vodafon yesterday and they said there 14 day cooling off period only applies to online order and not in store. I might just pre order it also.

https://twitter.com/backlon/status/1053328217342271488?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

This is something verizon announced it was doing to all phones on its network a while back for security reasons or something. They are automatically unlocked within 24 hours as is already happening :)

This is something verizon announced it was doing to all phones on its network a while back for security reasons or something. They are automatically unlocked within 24 hours as is already happening :)

Yeah but for someone over there from here buying, how do they activate it on a Verizon network to unlock it? Can you just buy a monthly throwaway SIM?

Yeah but for someone over there from here buying, how do they activate it on a Verizon network to unlock it? Can you just buy a monthly throwaway SIM?

Should work, once any verizon sim is in it for at least 24 hours i believe it should work fine. Double check that though.

• Advertisement

Should work, once any verizon sim is in it for at least 24 hours i believe it should work fine. Double check that though.

I won't be there but there's chap above posted about doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭notcarlos

You are right! Hope Vodafone Ireland is unlocked as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah that was me. I bought the 3xl on Verizon today 128gb black. Had to activate a 30 dollar pre paid SIM and I'm using that till I get home later today. They said I should get message re unlocking and if I don't to contact Verizon online support. Fingers crossed. Lovely phone so far but haven't had much opportunity to play with it yet. Will update the thread tomorrow re unlock situation. Got the navy Google case and Verizon tempered glass. I may replace the tempered glass as it's not Great. Some ghosting around the edges but it's fine for now.
    Thanks Mick

Anyone got any indication at all of when Vodafone will ship? If the UK are getting it first I'll just drive up to Newry.

Waiting for Vodafone to get display models in before I decide. Lots of issues regarding the screen again but the small pixel this time.. the one I was planning on getting :(

• Advertisement

Waiting for Vodafone to get display models in before I decide. Lots of issues regarding the screen again but the small pixel this time.. the one I was planning on getting :(

Screen on the xl is lovely.. I've no issues with the notch. Don't notice after while... Haven't had chance to put my sim in yet but I'd say it's fine. Apparently it was only best buy purchases that were locked

Screen on the xl is lovely.. I've no issues with the notch. Don't notice after while... Haven't had chance to put my sim in yet but I'd say it's fine. Apparently it was only best buy purchases that were locked

Just put in my three SIM and worked straight away. No messages etc..happy days as was fearful of messing with unlock etc
    Cheers,
    Mick

Haven't heard of any issues but they've swapped this year and the big one is Samsung with the small being LG so it's very possible.

Haven't heard of any issues but they've swapped this year and the big one is Samsung with the small being LG so it's very possible.

All over reddit :(

Just saw on twitter, Vodafone plans general sale 1st november

Just put in my three SIM and worked straight away. No messages etc..happy days as was fearful of messing with unlock etc
    Cheers,
    Mick

If anyone has questions re the pixel 3 XL happy to answer. So far no complaints here. Coming from p20 pro. So nice to have a clean UI and no pre installed crap on the phone

If anyone has questions re the pixel 3 XL happy to answer. So far no complaints here. Coming from p20 pro. So nice to have a clean UI and no pre installed crap on the phone

What are the USB C headphones like and is it slippy to hold?

All over reddit :(

Just saw on twitter, Vodafone plans general sale 1st november

Hopefully they do the preorders then too and not stock the shelves first.

What are the USB C headphones like and is it slippy to hold?

I'm using Google fabric case which is nice. The phone isn't slippy as has a Matt feel. I'll try the headphones in a bit and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭henke

Going to get the small one. I'd take any issues seen on Reddit with a pinch of salt. Plenty of reviews say the small screen is fine. You will always get a vocal minority looking to find faults with things.

henke wrote: »
    Going to get the small one. I'd take any issues seen on Reddit with a pinch of salt. Plenty of reviews say the small screen is fine. You will always get a vocal minority looking to find faults with things.

Aye yep, there was a strawpoll asking the %wise and the majority said 'screen is fine', just goes to show.

I think I just have screen anxiety over my 5 pixel 2 xl replacements :P .

• Advertisement

I'm using Google fabric case which is nice. The phone isn't slippy as has a Matt feel. I'll try the headphones in a bit and report back

Headphones are fine. No noise isolation at all though. I won't be using them as have Sony xm2 over ears so there's no comparison really. Found the pixels comfortable though and there's a good balance of bass and clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I got the Pixel buds on their own from the store for the 2xl but I returned them. Couldn't find a fit that wasn't uncomfortable.

After seeing this it's going to have to go back when it finally arrives. Really thought they would be able to optimise it after using the 2 for a year but that's awful compared to the Oneplus, 4GB should be fine but that looks like there's 2GB or less in it. Not a clue what I'm going to get instead though.

After seeing this it's going to have to go back when it finally arrives. Really thought they would be able to optimise it after using the 2 for a year but that's awful compared to the Oneplus, 4GB should be fine but that looks like there's 2GB or less in it. Not a clue what I'm going to get instead though.

I don't have a one plus to compare but there's no way id say the 3xl is slow.. used to have one plus 5t and the camera and Google experience is in different league altogether on the pixel. Still if you want that perceived raw speed then one plus 6t will probably feel like it's faster.. the p20 pro looked slower than one plus as well. May be screen animation's rather than memory shortage..

I don't have a one plus to compare but there's no way id say the 3xl is slow.. used to have one plus 5t and the camera and Google experience is in different league altogether on the pixel. Still if you want that perceived raw speed then one plus 6t will probably feel like it's faster.. the p20 pro looked slower than one plus as well. May be screen animation's rather than memory shortage..

Just did the same test. Using chrome, dialler, messages, Viber, what's app, nest, Spotify. They all seemed to stay in memory and load up immediatly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

You're some man for whining before you've even received the phone... Stay away from the internet.

You're some man for whining before you've even received the phone...

Having owned two one plus they are incredibly quick and half the price of the pixel. The camera is nowhere near as good as Huawei or the pixel

You're some man for whining before you've even received the phone... Stay away from the internet.

I don't see much harm in being informed, plus it was also good of micksaddress to post his real world experience of the phone too. Sorry if I offended you/Google though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Would wait for one of the bigger channels to do a speed test, for all we know there could’ve been aload off apps running in the background on the P3.

• Advertisement

Just did the same test. Using chrome, dialler, messages, Viber, what's app, nest, Spotify. They all seemed to stay in memory and load up immediatly

Have you had any of the force closing of spotify/pocketcasts/etc on the phone while playing something like I've seen reported too? There could also be a few dodgy handsets out there.

Tbh I'd rather try it for myself too, I'm just wary of Vodafone honoring the 14 days if I don't hand it straight back in the shop when I get it.

Advertisement