Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pixel 3 thread, featuring 'The Notch'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭micks_address

Shn99 wrote: »
    Would wait for one of the bigger channels to do a speed test, for all we know there could’ve been aload off apps running in the background on the P3.

I don't doubt that the one plus can hold more apps in memory. It's got twice the amount of memory. Some reviews have mentioned apps redrawing more on the pixel but is it a deal breaker in normal usage? Not for me

Patww79 wrote: »
    Have you had any of the force closing of spotify/pocketcasts/etc on the phone while playing something like I've seen reported too? There could also be a few dodgy handsets out there.

Tbh I'd rather try it for myself too, I'm just wary of Vodafone honoring the 14 days if I don't hand it straight back in the shop when I get it.

Force closing? How do you mean? Haven't had anything shutdown unexpectedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Force closing? How do you mean? Haven't had anything shutdown unexpectedly.

Read a good few instances of poeple streaming spotify and if they start taking photos the memory shuts down spotify (streaming apps should never go from memory, that's what the permanent notification is for). Also, some photos not saving at all after being taken in certain scenarios but I don't know if they're memory issues.

Really though 4GB should be plenty better than what's shown in that video, that makes it look like it has feck all RAM, so it's good to get your experience of it too.

Read a good few instances of poeple streaming spotify and if they start taking photos the memory shuts down spotify (streaming apps should never go from memory, that's what the permanent notification is for). Also, some photos not saving at all after being taken in certain scenarios but I don't know if they're memory issues.

Really though 4GB should be plenty better than what's shown in that video, that makes it look like it has feck all RAM, so it's good to get your experience of it too.

I've read about the photos not saving but not experienced it. Apparently it happens on some other Android phones to. What's your priorities when evaluating a phone?

I've read about the photos not saving but not experienced it. Apparently it happens on some other Android phones to. What's your priorities when evaluating a phone?

Speed/smoothness of use and camera. The pixel was really the only one that was going to fit the bill.

• Advertisement

Speed/smoothness of use and camera. The pixel was really the only one that was going to fit the bill.

Just a quick update re memory. Been checking every so often during day and always seem to have about 750mb free

Just a quick update re memory. Been checking every so often during day and always seem to have about 750mb free

Sound, thanks for that. Good to know.
    Never had an issue with my 2 and I've been running Pie since the second preview.

Sound, thanks for that. Good to know.
    Never had an issue with my 2 and I've been running Pie since the second preview.

Don't read this :)

https://bgr.com/2018/10/22/pixel-3-xl-vs-iphone-xs-max-speed-test-and-benchmark-comparison/

I seen that earlier but that's one that wouldn't bother me. Wouldn't matter if the iPhone was twice as fast again as it currently is, it still runs iOS.

I seen that earlier but that's one that wouldn't bother me. Wouldn't matter if the iPhone was twice as fast again as it currently is, it still runs iOS.

Looks like it is killing apps a little to agressively. Probably an update sort it. Still doesn't bother me. I don't regularly sit and open app after app and cycle through them again.

I have vague recollection of reading somewhere before that anything above 4gb isn't used properly by Android

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Pixel 2 is way to aggressive killing apps too iv found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭corkie

Anyone into experimenting with the expensive device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 imagineJack

Does anyone know if the Pixel 3 is going to be exclusive to Vodafone or whether its worth waiting to see if another carrier offers it? Vodafone pay monthly plans are awful, but I can't afford the phone up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Does anyone know if the Pixel 3 is going to be exclusive to Vodafone or whether its worth waiting to see if another carrier offers it? Vodafone pay monthly plans are awful, but I can't afford the phone up front.

No other Irish carriers will offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Herrohatton

No other Irish carriers will offer it.

That's actually such a shame, Vodafone literally have the worst deals around.
    Best coverage, but the worst deals.

24 month contract, 60e a month for 15gb data and you still have to pay 250e up front for the phone??

Also, pretty annoying how Three in the UK/N.Ireland are getting the phone but Three here aren't getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Can you not just buy the phone from vodafone and get the best sim only deal elsewhere?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Can you not just buy the phone from vodafone and get the best sim only deal elsewhere?

We haven't seen if they're locked yet as Vodafone won't have them til November.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kooto1982

When this issue will solve? Have an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭notcarlos

It seems if you order from google store, dispatch date is November 5, also Vodafone does not offer 128 GB for their bill plan. You can get 128 GB Pixel 3 as PAYG though.

Hopefully it is unlocked, can I just ask if you buy PAYG phone from vodafone will they send a new sim too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

notcarlos wrote: »
    It seems if you order from google store, dispatch date is November 5

Oddly though, a couple of days ago I got an e-mail saying my delivery date which was originally set for Nov 5 has been bumped up and is now estimated to come Oct 30-31!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Herrohatton

Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to shell out over 700e up front for a phone.
    Or 900e from the Google Store.

That's the problem for me anyway, probably a lot of other people too.
    I need it on bill pay to be able to afford it, but even Bill Pay is ridiculously expensive for what you get on Vodafone.

I've been waiting all year for it to come out but now it's looking like i'll just get an s9 or something

Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to shell out over 700e up front for a phone.

I need it on bill pay to be able to afford it, but even Bill Pay is ridiculously expensive for what you get on Vodafone.

I've been waiting all year for it to come out but now it's looking like i'll just get an s9 or something

I just sold my S9 plus and believe me it lags after months of use and the camera is not good. I always end up asking people to send me photos of me from their iPhone on every trip

I just sold my S9 plus and believe me it lags after months of use and the camera is not good. I always end up asking people to send me photos of me from their iPhone on every trip
    As long as your pixels save the pics you won't have to do that any more. I downloaded the pixel camera app with night shot and it's kinda amazing.. not sure what jiggery pokery they doing but it's pretty cool.. when you take a pic in night shot it says hold steady and takes a few seconds to capture image and then shows the results

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wonder how Vodafone will handle the devices if there is any hardware issues. They usually offer to send it away for repair with other devices etc but generally Google devices on networks in other countries your just given a straight up replacement, never seen that happen here though. Wonder if they will adopt that with the Pixels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Wonder how Vodafone will handle the devices if there is any hardware issues. They usually offer to send it away for repair with other devices etc but generally Google devices on networks in other countries your just given a straight up replacement, never seen that happen here though. Wonder if they will adopt that with the Pixels.
    Legally, your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer. Under the Sale of Goods and supply of services act you get to choose between a repair, replacement or a refund. What they’re doing is actually illegal. Mention that act to an employee at the Vodafone store and you’ll probably get the guilty reply ”well we might have a replacement in stock, let me have a look”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Shn99 wrote: »
    Legally, your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer. Under the Sale of Goods and supply of services act you get to choose between a repair, replacement or a refund. What they’re doing is actually illegal. Mention that act to an employee at the Vodafone store and you’ll probably get the guilty reply ”well we might have a replacement in stock, let me have a look”

Ah, good to know. Thanks

I do know Google will support you after a certain period of your carrier doing so, you just dont get advanced replacement or something (case in the UK anyway of how they did it with third party retailers).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Oddly though, a couple of days ago I got an e-mail saying my delivery date which was originally set for Nov 5 has been bumped up and is now estimated to come Oct 30-31!

Not even two and a bit days after that, now I've been pushed back to the middle of November :mad:

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Not even two and a bit days after that, now I've been pushed back to the middle of November :mad:

That boils my ****e, would definitely be cancelling then.

Demo units are on display now in the UK. Is there any in Vodafone stores here in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Demo units are on display now in the UK. Is there any in Vodafone stores here in Ireland?

I’ll have a look today, heading into limerick.

Advertisement