Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ley2018

Hi. Does anyone know can the results of the interview be appealed? I only went down marginally in one compency and it wouldn't be my weakest one. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sy Snootles

ley2018 wrote: »
    Hi. Does anyone know can the results of the interview be appealed? I only went down marginally in one compency and it wouldn't be my weakest one. thanks

Unfortunately, I did it in the previous competition and got a very cursory reply saying that the panel were deemed to be qualified and as such, their verdict was being stuck to. Failed one competency by about 4 marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Starlight321

Delighted with my result too. Just wondering if anyone knows how long the Regional Panel will last given that it has only gone live now.
    Does this mean it lasts until April 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Open Stream: 51
    Interdepartmental Stream: 37

Absolutely ecstatic :) Can't believe it. Congrats to everyone who made the panel, and commiserations to those who didn't. You'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CaroTee

I got 2nd on panel for one of my counties and 3rd for the other (adjacent counties).
    Would hope that gives me a good chance of getting an assignment in one of them but you just never know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Megidje

Any harm in asking which counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Got through! Can’t believe it, delighted with the results.

Congratulations to everyone who got through and commiserations to those who didn’t.

Does anyone know where they are with 1.2 now? Is it safe to assume it will q3 before they get anywhere near batch 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HelloPeeps

I also got through and pleased to have made it. I presume we’ll be waiting a while until they get to our batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Veledan22 wrote: »

Congratulations to everyone who got through and commiserations to those who didn’t.

Does anyone know where they are with 1.2 now? Is it safe to assume it will q3 before they get anywhere near batch 2?
    I am on 1.2 in 30s and haven't heard anything

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Veledan22 wrote: »

Always difficult to tell how fast numbers will move but I know some AP's and above who will be retiring shortly are waiting until after 1st of Sept when wages go up another 1.75%. So should be movement on batch 2 at that point.

• Advertisement

Megidje wrote: »
    Any harm in asking which counties?

Leitrim and Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yesjeff

How would one go about finding out how many government departments/staff were in a county?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yesjeff wrote: »
    How would one go about finding out how many government departments/staff were in a county?

Google?

The Green Pages in a telephone book?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 clio15

you can check the civil service mobility webiste, shows an interactive map with each dept and how many eos and cos which would give you an idea of size. PAS also told me today when I emailed them there is no vacanices in my regions at the minute,

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dee75

clio15 wrote: »
    you can check the civil service mobility webiste, shows an interactive map with each dept and how many eos and cos which would give you an idea of size. PAS also told me today when I emailed them there is no vacanices in my regions at the minute,

Can I ask what email address you contacted them at?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 clio15

Its in the message on the noticeboard with the results

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yesjeff

Thank you very much Clio15. Close to getting offered somewhere in Dublin, would involve long commute, would prefer to stay in my region. Top 10 in region, trying to work out if it's worth hanging on. Very thankful for your help

clio15 wrote: »

Do you mind me asking what region you are looking for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

ley2018 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I did it in the previous competition and got a very cursory reply saying that the panel were deemed to be qualified and as such, their verdict was being stuck to. Failed one competency by about 4 marks.

This is precisely what happened to me in batch 1:1. Check PAS annual reports for the number of successful appeals, although be ready for a grim read. The appeals process was as Sy Snootles says above. Dust yourself down and hope that they run another competition before the year is out.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    This is precisely what happened to me in batch 1:1. Check PAS annual reports for the number of successful appeals, although be ready for a grim read. The appeals process was as Sy Snootles says above. Dust yourself down and hope that they run another competition before the year is out.

Failing one competency by 4 marks is so harsh.

Have to say, I'm hugely disillusioned with the whole process. I've failed the etray and passed the interview (feedback was "your score is your feedback" - like that is in any way meaningful!); passed the etray and failed the interview; and most recently, bizarrely (in my opinion) failed one of the online tests despite having passed it with flying colours in all previous attempts.

No meaningful feedback, ever - despite the provision of meaningful feedback to clients being one of their mission statements. Unless by "client" they mean public service organisation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Failed 2 competencies by 5 marks in each. Did OK in the rest but still surprised how low I did in them, would love to hear what a 90% or over has to offer. It'd give me something to aim at.

I'm very disappointed but I suppose that's to be expected. For example, I got 36 in leadership, and it was historically an area I struggled with due to my department and the roles within it. After previous failures in that area I decided to undertake 3rd level education and in the past 3 years have obtained two level 9 qualifications, passing with 1st class honours in both, achieving student of the year in my Masters. To add to that, apart from the day to day leading of my team I've also been on the project board for 3 pilot projects in my department. If all that adds up to 36 then I'm really at a loss.

Sorry if that seems like a rant but I've been wondering if I'm a fit for the public sector at all.

Well done to those who are on the panel and I hope you get a placement that suits.

Failed 2 competencies by 5 marks in each. Did OK in the rest but still surprised how low I did in them, would love to hear what a 90% or over has to offer. It'd give me something to aim at.

I'm very disappointed but I suppose that's to be expected. For example, I got 36 in leadership, and it was historically an area I struggled with due to my department and the roles within it. After previous failures in that area I decided to undertake 3rd level education and in the past 3 years have obtained two level 9 qualifications, passing with 1st class honours in both, achieving student of the year in my Masters. To add to that, apart from the day to day leading of my team I've also been on the project board for 3 pilot projects in my department. If all that adds up to 36 then I'm really at a loss.

Sorry if that seems like a rant but I've been wondering if I'm a fit for the public sector at all.

Well done to those who are on the panel and I hope you get a placement that suits.

Sorry to hear that, I had a similar experience in the 2016 competition and I know it can be very disheartening after all the work that goes into this process.

Can I ask did you do many mock interviews or go through your examples with your/other POs in your Department before your interview? That made a big difference to me this time around and helped me to sharpen my examples a lot and prepare for the follow up questions from the board. Would it be worth sitting down with someone now to see if they can give you feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Claireclucka

Folks, do you see us waiting long for placements in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Folks, do you see us waiting long for placements in the Dublin area?

For batch 2.1? I think they’ve only appointed 2 or 3 off 1.2, so difficult to see any movement on 2.1 before September or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

When is the next pay increase due? People will wait for that to retire.

Addle wrote: »

It’s due in September so I’d say things will be slow enough up until then (happy to be proved wrong though :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Claireclucka

I wonder how many people got places this time round, as in, how large is the current panel 2.1

Addle wrote: »

Isn't pension calculated now off the average of the last three years' salary? So waiting several more months wouldn't be any real benefit (especially as if you're retiring, you're likely to have been on the top of the scale for a while).

• Advertisement

Colleagues retiring presently have a different pension set up to post 2004 (or is it 1994?) recruits.

Advertisement