Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Some of you were saying a while back about Vega 56 which I kind of brushed aside since the early benchmarks were poor enough but looking at more recent benchmarks they are great cards. Not to mention the great game bundle. Looked into overclocking and undervolting too and it seems solid.

A far better option than most of the Nvidia cards in that price range.

It's a shame the price has climbed a bit on them. They were going for as little as €300 a few months back.

Amazing bit of tech for the price, AMD are losing a significant amount on each card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That game bundle offer is incredible as well. Resident Evil 2 is an absolutely incredible game, and you get DMC5 and Division 2 as well. Obviously tastes differ but it's a much better game bundle than Nvidia's BF5 + Anthem I think, considering the lower cost of the Vega to begin with.

Really good value for the cheaper cards, considering you can get an RX570 for €150 with 2 of the games.

It's also possible to sell the AMD Rewards key it seems, some promo's require hardware validation to at least check you have an RX card installed, this one didn't at all for me.

Yeah I'm seriously tempted but at the same time the 2060 beats it in most benchmarks by a reasonable amount but I can't bring myself to spend €350-400 on a card with only 6gb of memory in 2019. Will probably hold out for Navi at this stage. Should have just bought a 1070ti when they came out.

Navi is probably our last hope of a big price/performance generational leap on silicon. It's hard to see the technology improving without big cost increases as we're seeing with Nvidia as shrinking it any more than that is going to be very hard.

I'd imagine those buying RTX 2080ti or Titans will struggle to find a worthy upgrade for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

a B grade Vega 64 for £375 isn't a bad price as it may just be packaging damage

I wouldn't take the risk, only 30 day warranty and no free games just to save £25..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah you're right, forgot about the free games and warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

Really good value for the cheaper cards, considering you can get an RX570 for €150 with 2 of the games.

Thats what I did. I got the 8gb version from Overclockers and 2 games that I was going to buy anyway. After selling my GTX 1050 for 80 Euro and say the games are 40 euro a piece then I got the card for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Nice, may pick up one of these and see how it copes with my 2080!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BHGPT67/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Yeah I've the MPG27CQ and it works flawlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Nvidia CEO laments low Turing sales, says last quarter was a ‘punch in the gut’

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ceo-laments-low-turing-sales-says-last-quarter-was-a-punch-in-the-gut/?utm_content=bufferac71d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

I'm surprised he's surprised most people refuse to get involved with their price gouging.

Doubly funny now that the RTX 2060 has made the 2070 irrelevant.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

superg wrote: »
    "These products deliver a revolutionary leap in performance and innovation with real-time ray tracing and AI, but some customers may have delayed their purchase while waiting for lower price points and further demonstrations of RTX technology in actual games," Nvidia said.

Customers are waiting for decent performance and features that aren't gimmicks, at a price point that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,858 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

superg wrote: »

Someone should do that shocked Pikachu meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

some customers may have delayed their purchase while waiting for lower price points and further demonstrations of RTX technology in actual games.

In other news, water is wet.

I'm genuinely surprised they overforecasted their RTX sales. Experience would dictate that most GPU sales are cards in the ballpark of 100-350 - and the RTX lineup started above that range.

What's interesting is their announcement has tanked a bunch of other chip manufacturers - including AMD and Crucial. I guess people expect the China and datacenters difficulties to be industry wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

MSI has pulled that list so something is off somewhere.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/29/msi-gsync-compatible-monitors/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,858 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's stock available of the founders edition of the 2060 again. I grabbed one there after having to cancel the 2080 order last week due to funds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm looking at upgrading from a 1080 to a 2080.

With the memory failing on a lot of these cards (or maybe its only the ti version?). Would anyone know if their is a code to look out for to ensure you get only the samsung memory versions of the cards?

You have 1-2 year European warranty (and maybe more depending on manufacturer).

If it doesn't fail in first 4 months it's probably fine.
    If it does fail, ask for replacement / refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

You have 1-2 year European warranty (and maybe more depending on manufacturer).

If it doesn't fail in first 4 months it's probably fine.
    If it does fail, ask for replacement / refund.
    I always watercool cards so it can become a pain to strip the block off to send it back. Would rather wait until they fix it first or better yet, get a card that has the working ram.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

So BF5 gets DLSS support, seems that Ray tracing + DLSS give the same performance as plain Dx12 so thats good. Will get Metro at the weekend and see what its like.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-v-dlss-update,1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I haven't experimented too much (it's too annoying to have to restart the game when you enable/disable DXR but I find DLSS a bit too blurry for my liking. I've a 2070 and everything maxed out it holds on to 60fps handily enough@1440p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So BF5 gets DLSS support, seems that Ray tracing + DLSS give the same performance as plain Dx12 so thats good. Will get Metro at the weekend and see what its like.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-v-dlss-update,1.html

Some other reviewers have other takes on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hard to believe it's 5 months since the first RTX card!

What do people think is the best ray traced game so far?

Ok tried DXR on metro looks good, HOWEVER DLSS looks muck.

BF5 4k DXR and DLSS gets 60 FPS no problem but again DLSS looks muck, very blurred not worth it. Better implementation needed nvidia.....

How impressive is the RTX in metro, it would seem the game was designed for rasterisation. While technically the ray tracing is impressive, it is not how the game was intended to look with many areas either way too bright or way too dark. Of course watching a youtube video is never the same as seeing it for yourself.

Its a great looking games either way, DXR is subtle but I like the lighting, its like the difference between regular and HDR movies, the fire effects and lighting is very nice. Its one of those things that you could live without happily, but thats not the point.

DLSS is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

DLSS is a mess.

DLSS is is sorted now. It looks very good actually

twinsen wrote: »
    DLSS is is sorted now. It looks very good actually

Is DLSS really sustainable for the future they when they have to run every game made through their ai learning super computer at every resolution.

The process probably takes days to weeks for a single game.

• Advertisement

Now that Metro is out what's the next big RTX release?

Advertisement