Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Yeah i cant wait to play those games at 30fps with all the RTX turned on instead of 100fps...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

It will get better, same as it was with tessellation. Probably :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

RTX is like when we needed separate physx cards untill it was integrated into the base gpu.
    it is too early to be buying into RTX until we get cards that can use it without detriimental loss in fps

Early on there was a significant performance penalty with GPU integrated PhysX as well, and again not so much in visual improvements.
    That is I agree with you, but they have to start somewhere. Early adopters never see their ROI.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Skerries wrote: »
    RTX is like when we needed separate physx cards untill it was integrated into the base gpu.
    it is too early to be buying into RTX until we get cards that can use it without detriimental loss in fps

I hope AMD comes up with a competitive parallel system because back in the day it turned out the bulk of the lost FPS from PhysX came from nVidia using malware to cripple systems using any kind of AMD hardware :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

AMD control all the games developers from here on in. They had the foresight to get in and control the game developers future development and trajectory of development when they took complete control of the major players in the console market.

Do not fool yourselves into thinking otherwise. AMD knew they had to think long therm and hit the ground running with Xbox one and PS4. The next gen consoles are AMD all the way. The major game developers are now all AMD tweeked games as the major majority of future AAA games.

Nvidia's version of Raytracing is dead before it began. AMD's software based version is coming and it will crush all that has come before it.

You can all quote me on that in about 2 years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I hope you're right - for AMD's sake. There's no margin at all in what they've been doing in their attempt to outmanoeuvre nVidia and while they've finally turned a huge corner in the CPU market they've still lost a staggering amount of traction in the PC GPU market where there's at least some kind of profit to be had compared to console APU spam.

And that said... if things go too far in the other direction no doubt in a couple of years we'll be cursing AMD for anticompetitive BS instead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

The 5700 Navi is proof of concept for AMD and an Omen for Nv of things to come. It is obvious by now that AMD crippled the 57 with severely limited memory speed, deliberately. The memory will not OC at all.
    I honestly believe that the aib manufacturers of the 57 were instructed by AMD not to change the memory configuration so as to retard it's performance because AMD are biding their time + the partners needed to clear out their NV inventory and didn't want to get stuck with it if Navi actually beat it at a much cheaper cost. Rdna is a sleeping giant that AMD are in full control of.

Great days for consumers are on the horizon with Intel and ARM coming into the market. NV are in trouble for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

They made about 4 billion dolllars more than AMD last year. I think they will be OK somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

slowly slowly catchee monkey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The 5700 Navi is proof of concept for AMD and an Omen for Nv of things to come. It is obvious by now that AMD crippled the 57 with severely limited memory speed, deliberately. The memory will not OC at all.
    I honestly believe that the aib manufacturers of the 57 were instructed by AMD not to change the memory configuration so as to retard it's performance because AMD are biding their time + the partners needed to clear out their NV inventory and didn't want to get stuck with it if Navi actually beat it at a much cheaper cost. Rdna is a sleeping giant that AMD are in full control of.

Great days for consumers are on the horizon with Intel and ARM coming into the market. NV are in trouble for the next few years.

Been drinkin the kool aid lately?:P

Nvidia's version of Raytracing is dead before it began. AMD's software based version is coming and it will crush all that has come before it.
    Nope, it's not going to be better than fixed function RT cores. If anything it will crush the fps more than GTX cards are doing it when RTX is enabled without proper hardware support.
    You can all quote me on that in about 2 years.
    That will be too early, AMD already has the console market for over 6 years now, yet they are still to make any significant impact on PC GPU market. We need to wait some more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cordell wrote: »
    Nope, it's not going to be better than fixed function RT cores. If anything it will crush the fps more than GTX cards are doing it when RTX is enabled without proper hardware support.

That will be too early, AMD already has the console market for over 6 years now, yet they are still to make any significant impact on PC GPU market. We need to wait some more :)

Software based ray tracing already existed and it sucked.

Hardware based solutions are the way forward for those specific type of tasks.

And everybody buying a RTX card is helping fund the R&D for Nvidia to make it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I see the conversation here has not really moved on with the reality....and that great AMD gpu is still just around the corner...looking forward to Control looks a fun game too, and good single player for once....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I see the conversation here has not really moved on with the reality....and that great AMD gpu is still just around the corner...looking forward to Control looks a fun game too, and good single player for once....

Hard to believe it's been a year already. Since I don't have an RTX card I've not paid any attention to what games have or will have RTX.
    What title so far do you think best show cases what RTX can do?
    Would you recommend an upgrade to RTX or is it still too soon?

There are very few titles (Metro Exodus, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield 5 and maybe a few upcoming) None of them so far show any significant visual improvement to be worth upgrading just for RTX - the raytracing effects are subtle and very likely you will not notice any difference, nevermind improvement.
    So no, not really, unless you need a better GPU. Or, you know, if you just need to upgrade :)

Like I always said if you want the latest and greatest get an RTX...its the fastest, latest and greatest. Or you cant wait. You can play all the games on a 10 series card just fine. RTX quake 2 looks cool, Minecraft is cool. Metro was good looking but I didnt like the game, Battlefield 5 again looked good but was a bad game. Cyberpunk 2077 looks like it could be good.

Metro uses RTX only for global illumination, everything else looks great without it, including reflections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well call me a hypocrite, but I've gone & ordered a Founder's Edition RTX 2070 Super to play around with Quake II RTX & Control.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well call me a hypocrite, but I've gone & ordered a Founder's Edition RTX 2070 Super to play around with Quake II RTX & Control.

:pac:

Oh are they back on stock?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Oh are they back on stock?

They are for now: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shop/geforce/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-gb

Got mine for €549 delivered.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    They are for now: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shop/geforce/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-gb

Got mine for €549 delivered.

Ooooh. Very tempted but I'd be murdered if she found out :pac: already upgraded from a 1060 to a 2060 this year.

Hun, my graphics card died on me I've to get a new one.

Cordell wrote: »
    Hun, my graphics card died on me I've to get a new one.

I don't think that'd work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Was tempted a few weeks back myself,ive decided to get a new monitor instead though.

Going to wait for second gen rtx or big navi next year for a gpu upgrade

Got Control, gave it a quick spin: the reflections with RTX look great, for the first time they did something for the gameplay, I got scared by my own reflection :) The performance hit is, as usual, significant.

This is the video that swayed me.

Brilliant video, it's been a while since I've seen one such well put together.

• Advertisement

downloading it now...will report back.

Advertisement