Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

To buy land you really need a good chunk of the price in cash because farming alone no matter what the enterprise won’t make the repayments.
    A good bunch of shares,a sizable savings or perhaps an inheritance from someone else is usually what helps an addition. It used to be selling of a site etc but those days are more tricky now. Good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

C0N0R wrote: »
    Same, 70 acres at home for sale right beside our own 100, could walk cows to it but just can’t justify it, maybe I’m too much of a pessimist

Woukd you have to upgrade your existing facilities in the yard much to milk more to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭straight

Mooooo wrote: »
    Can you walk the cow's to it? Put together a business plan and see how it looks in different scenarios. There is a difference between land and machinery in terms of debt also. The robot will depreciate straight of the bat, the land less so if at all and gives the the opportunity to increase net worth

I've thought about all the different scenarios in my head but they all end up in me running faster to stay in the same place. I actually made an offer but it wasn't enough and I'm probably better off. I can invest money somewhere else and actually get a return off of it. My hips will be glad of it in 20 years time

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Was milk recording the weekend, metres showing up the herd average as 27.2 when changed from kg's back to litres but the bulk tank average showing 25.6 litres.
    i know its whats in the tank that counts but that's a big difference or margin of error between both.?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,112 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

straight wrote: »
    I've thought about all the different scenarios in my head but they all end up in me running faster to stay in the same place. I actually made an offer but it wasn't enough and I'm probably better off. I can invest money somewhere else and actually get a return off of it. My hips will be glad of it in 20 years time

No one knows the aftermath of Brexit. What will milk price be then? Wouldn't be jumping into big loans until that's sorted

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    No one knows the aftermath of Brexit. What will milk price be then? Wouldn't be jumping into big loans until that's sorted

The future is definitely uncertain. I see alot of small farmers selling up in USA and Australia. Wal-Mart have their own farms now. I think there is a superfarm in England too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,081 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Was milk recording the weekend, metres showing up the herd average as 27.2 when changed from kg's back to litres but the bulk tank average showing 25.6 litres.
    i know its whats in the tank that counts but that's a big difference or margin of error between both.?
    If on 2 day collection rank is average of 4 milking milk recording is average of 2 and shur cows could of got an extra pull of nuts for those 2 milking sand fresh grass during and before recording !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

mahoney_j wrote: »
    If on 2 day collection rank is average of 4 milking milk recording is average of 2 and shur cows could of got an extra pull of nuts for those 2 milking sand fresh grass during and before recording !!!!

Shur i no that but im just asking the honest question! never saw a difference like it before!

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    To buy land you really need a good chunk of the price in cash because farming alone no matter what the enterprise won’t make the repayments.
    A good bunch of shares,a sizable savings or perhaps an inheritance from someone else is usually what helps an addition. It used to be selling of a site etc but those days are more tricky now. Good luck with your decision.
    was
    Reality is buying land for most of us is a pipe dream due to the figures involved ,u need ready cash for deposit and the repayment capacity ,then there is the extra parlour units ,cubicles ,slurry storage ,land Infrastructure stock etc .ive fragmented land and would sell to buy next to milk block but even at that I’d need a lot of things to work in my favour to make it happen

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Shur i no that but im just asking the honest question! never saw a difference like it before!

I don’t think that’s massive ,the big difference I always see without fail is butterfat beteween recording and tank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The other thing is interest rates are low enough at the minute, despite Irish banks acting the bollix, so that would be in your favour. If it's a case of offloading something peripheral, section of out farm or forestry etc to get a deposit for land over the ditch I'd do it. Stretched out inherited debt and sold forestry to do it here, admittedly for better land than a lot of what we had already, when the old debt is cleared I'll hopefully be in a position to make a push on facilites then which well help manage the second half of the land loan as there is more of a capital portion in that and therefore a higher tax burden so investment in facilities will increase the capital allowances for that as well as increasing efficiency hopefully. I'd talk it out with yer accountants and discussion groups as well in yer case. Totally understand the point of running faster to stay in the same place but in twenty years time with college fees etc etc to pay staying in the same place may have you gone backwards as well. I dunno just throwing view points out there. Being happy with yer own decision is the most important thing at the end of the day
    Edit to add renting ground was circa 13k a year and that dropped to contribute to repayments. Everyone's scenario is different bit the one thing in would advise if going for it is have a figure and don't go over it if it would put you under pressure. One or two other lads interested can drive it on and you'd need to have the restraint to say no as well if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭1373

Land will always be expensive while money is cheap . Plenty of farmers have companies set up resulting in large sums being built up quicker. Most land sold near here for big prices have been bought by guys with Ltd farms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I think that land will halve in relative value in the next 10 years due to global recession, poor prices, environmental corrections, and most importantly, demographics / demand. You've only to look at other countries to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Ya and for your own pride maybe. It's gone very expensive compared to the 80's and 90's. It's too hard to get the return off of it. Hard to know if the next generation will be farming at all. Mine are only toddlers

All I can say is my folks bought a farm and sold what they had to do it. Mortgaged till I'm 35 but its meant I could farm if I wanted to, which i am. And very grateful they did. If I didnt they could have just sold it and had a nice retirement.
    We're pretty much maxed out here and quite happy to stick at what we have but if land did come available I would be very interested in it.

Any new infrastructure we've put in here it has been bigger than what we need, 5000l spare capacity in the milk tank, parlour can be extended quite easily, could put in another 36 cubicles without building a shed and I'll have extra slurry storage this year with a new tank, I might never need it but if I do it wont be hard or too expensive to milk some more cows

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The future is definitely uncertain. I see alot of small farmers selling up in USA and Australia. Wal-Mart have their own farms now. I think there is a superfarm in England too.

You don't have to go abroad for that.

There's rumours Glanbia have some farms indebted and the farmer just gets a wage from them.

You don't have to go abroad for that.

There's rumours Glanbia have some farms indebted and the farmer just gets a wage from them.

Heard of a couple of lads that got a pittance for July milk due to ec payments and contra....

All I can say is my folks bought a farm and sold what they had to do it. Mortgaged till I'm 35 but its meant I could farm if I wanted to, which i am. And very grateful they did. If I didnt they could have just sold it and had a nice retirement.
    We're pretty much maxed out here and quite happy to stick at what we have but if land did come available I would be very interested in it.

Any new infrastructure we've put in here it has been bigger than what we need, 5000l spare capacity in the milk tank, parlour can be extended quite easily, could put in another 36 cubicles without building a shed and I'll have extra slurry storage this year with a new tank, I might never need it but if I do it wont be hard or too expensive to milk some more cows

I have the sheds, slurry storage, infrastructure, etc for more cows. It's just the land is too expensive vs the return at the moment. We'll see, he might drop his asking price a bit. I was talking to an auctioneer lately and he said it has got very difficult and near impossible to sell a farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Heard of a couple of lads that got a pittance for July milk due to ec payments and contra....

bulk tank maintance fund, ai, revolving fund deductions here, all adds up,

yields and solids ok, oh yeah missed out on the scc bonus as well

orm0nd wrote: »
    bulk tank maintance fund, ai, revolving fund deductions here, all adds up,

yields and solids ok, oh yeah missed out on the scc bonus as well

All gone before you pay yourself, loans etc

• Advertisement

I have the sheds, slurry storage, infrastructure, etc for more cows. It's just the land is too expensive vs the return at the moment. We'll see, he might drop his asking price a bit. I was talking to an auctioneer lately and he said it has got very difficult and near impossible to sell a farm.

Farm beside me came up for sale a while back.
    Auctioneer made a balls of the sale selling it as the entire when there was more money on the table again to sell it in lots. Wanted an easier time of it I suppose..
    Sold for near 20k/acre. Reported on the journal sold in the property section. Hasn't been touched since. Mass of weeds and bushes on it.
    Everybody loves a rumour. But rumour is the buyer never came up with the money.
    Auctioneer offered it to a lower bidder and they refused citing they bought land in the mean time and new machinery.
    But it's still being reported land made 20k in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Woukd you have to upgrade your existing facilities in the yard much to milk more to pay for it?

No cows being milked at home now, leased out. Would have to put in a new parlour and put cubicles in a silage pit and put in a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Local messer here got the loader/baler/wrapper/ and mower repossessed their a while back, thought going up in the numbers was going to pay for it, owes a fortune locally and can only get credit from glanbia now, they really do have some lads by the balls when they find themselves having to buy all inputs as a last resort

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

You should have write in bold letters about having a good chunk of the money before you buy.at least 30 % if you havent managed to gather that you ain't going to gather the other 70 % after

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

You should have write in bold letters about having a good chunk of the money before you buy.at least 30 % if you havent managed to gather that you ain't going to gather the other 70 % after[/quote]

TO BUY LAND YOU REALLY NEED A GOOD CHUNK OF THE PRICE IN CASH!!!

how’s that

You should have write in bold letters about having a good chunk of the money before you buy.at least 30 % if you havent managed to gather that you ain't going to gather the other 70 % after

TO BUY LAND YOU REALLY NEED A GOOD CHUNK OF THE PRICE IN CASH!!!

how’s that[/quote]

That's capital letters not bold. ffs!!

;):p

Anyone scanned yet? How did it go?

Anyone scanned yet? How did it go?

Just heifers 100%!,70% plus held to fixed time rest bar 1 held tobsecond served bull served one first week June ,bull gone from cows since 15/7 will scan in week or 2 but looking good ,2 cows served on May bulling last week tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭cosatron

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Just heifers 100%!,70% plus held to fixed time rest bar 1 held tobsecond served bull served one first week June ,bull gone from cows since 15/7 will scan in week or 2 but looking good ,2 cows served on May bulling last week tho

don't you just hate when this happens. 2 cows were bulling here aswell about 2 weeks ago both served in early may.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I had the same, one the 28 April and another 3rd may, not a peep since until bulling the week after bull came out. Bull I had with cow's wasn't working so bought in another one for the last 3 week's of breeding for 1300, in fairness to him he seems to have done well seeing as he was going everyday, have about 5 cows seen in heat since end of breeding, scanning will reveal all but hopefully won't be too bad. Annoyed I'll have a lull till the last 3 weeks of calving tho. Heifers are quiet but afraid I'll have more held to the bull than ai with them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement