Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The failure of Irish Media to impartially report

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The tonight show on Tv3 has to be up there with the worst of them. Those two flutes that host it make me want to vomit.

It would work if there was a balance. If Matt Cooper wants to hang his coat as a SJW progressive fine, but there needs to be someone else to balance that you. Ivan just seems out of it half the time, until he gets on some other hobby horse.

Get Hook on instead of Ivan, that will be some show then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I’d be surprised if you are earning anywhere close to me. Or indeed the average industrial wage.

You obviously don’t work, given your hatred of workers, so please tell us what you do?

On the latter point you are wrong, I do work but I would share your surprise if my earnings bore any similarity to yours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Todd Gack wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/keeping-it-country-agriculture-students-sorry-for-lewd-remarks-on-ucd-radio-show-37603219.html

From the article: "In 2016, students from the same UCD School of Agriculture also came in for criticism over an alleged Facebook group involving male students rating images of female students.

At the time, a spokesperson for the university said it would investigate the allegations."

No mention that said investigation did take place and found no evidence this facebook group ever existed.

That was an interesting example of a moral panic, much like the Belfast rape trial one last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

In the absence of impartial local reporting here is a livestream from Paris. I know it is RT and some people thing they will get cooties if they click the play button, but it is an interesting livestream nonetheless. Those French, it's not even onze heure, not even time for a second petit dejeuner, and they are already revved up, and fighting the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Impartial reporting does not exist in this country. If what you want is globalist propaganda you are in the right place. Don't cross the line through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Just heard George Lee and Aine Lawlor basically sobbing on the News at 1 over Ireland's non action on reducing carbon emissions in relation to COP24. The segment was biased in that neither of the two of them explained that Ireland might wipe itself of the face of the earth and it won't affect climate change.

Mr. Lee also gave it large about time running out for sinking islands like Vanuatu.

Mr. Lee should know that Vanuatu and Tuvalu are not sinking as should Ms. Lawlor. They should also explain why Ireland funding climate programs will be spent by remote corrupt island nations with poor human rights records.

https://www.transparency.org/news/pressrelease/20130222_its_business_as_usual_for_the_corrupt_despite_all_the_lip_service

Anything Mr. Lee says regarding climate change must be analysed for accuracy.

Last summer he reported that Ireland had experienced record breaking temperatures during the summer heatwave.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2018/0630/974393-weather-heatwave-ireland/

It hadn't, but that didn't bother anyone who shares George and RTE's agenda.

Maybe a profession like politics could benefit from having someone like George in its ranks.

I know he tried it already but maybe the Green Party is his true calling, because unbiased reporting certainly isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

dense wrote: »
    It hadn't, but that didn't bother anyone who shares George and RTE's agenda.

Maybe a profession like politics could benefit from having someone like George in its ranks.

I know he tried it already but maybe the Green Party is his true calling, because unbiased reporting certainly isn't.

We should really give up hope on fact-based, unbiased reporting from RTE.
    They are the masters of doom and gloom, with the primary goal of making the Irish tax paying, law abiding, contributing member of society, feel like that we are responsible for all the ills in not only Irish society, but on the planet as a whole.

RTE are now doing substantial daily TV reports on homelessness; of which there are about 200 real homeless people in Ireland, with a further 10,000 - 11,000 people in "emergency accommodation" waiting for forever homes.

When this homelessness "crisis" is shown to be truly what it is i.e. a non-crisis, then I have the feeling that RTE will then focus on climate change. They will relentlessly bombard us with "experts" who will tell us that we are doomed in the coming years due to climate change.

But what I'm really waiting for is our Taoiseach to stand up in the Dail, after been harangued and harassed by the likes of Lawlor and Lee, and announce that workers in Ireland will have to pay a new carbon tax to offset the country's carbon footprint. This new tax will be substantial with the goal of the tax being ever increasing ....... until the workers eventually fight back.
    And of course, we know what the government will do with that money. A sizeable chunk will be used to augment the massive welfare and public sector pension budgets.

RTE are not trustworthy and haven't been for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Kivaro wrote: »
    ... then I have the feeling that RTE will then focus on climate change. They will relentlessly bombard us with "experts" who will tell us that we are doomed in the coming years due to climate change.

But what I'm really waiting for is our Taoiseach to stand up in the Dail, after been harangued and harassed by the likes of Lawlor and Lee, and announce that workers in Ireland will have to pay a new carbon tax to offset the country's carbon footprint...

Asians and Americans pumping out endless clouds of stuff.
    But fear not polar bears, we'll squeeze a few million Paddy workers a bit more.
    Be grand.

If any politician sincerely believed their own guff on this they would shut down factories and ban all cars. The evident fact that they don't indicates that it is clearly a false tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Heard a piece on RTE Radio 1's Drivetime show today.

It was about people queuing outside the Capuchin Day Centre in Dublin for nappies and baby food, as they do every Monday.

Now it was a very sad piece to listen to people so hard up that they need to avail of this service, but as I listened to single mother after single mother being interviewed I thought I might hear the reporter ask about husbands/partners etc?

Absent fathers get off too easy in this country.

NIMAN wrote: »

It was about people queuing outside the Capuchin Day Centre in Dublin for nappies and baby food, as they do every Monday.

Now it was a very sad piece to listen to people so hard up that they need to avail of this service, but as I listened to single mother after single mother being interviewed I thought I might hear the reporter ask about husbands/partners etc?

Paddy O Gorman used to ask that in his interviews. One of the only ones to do so.
    His interviews are more novelty pieces than actual news though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

NIMAN wrote: »

Kevin Myers was lambasted years ago for this very line of questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/1218/1017880-assault/

VS

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-release-evofit-of-sexual-assault-suspect-as-they-renew-appeal-for-witnesses-36964746.html
    He is believed to be a foreign national who is able to converse in Spanish.

RTE did not mention that the suspect is a foreign national but the independent did. A rather glaring omission on behalf of RTE, intentional of course. Just in case all the gobshytes of Ireland will go around beating up Spanish ppl.

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/1218/1017880-assault/

VS

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-release-evofit-of-sexual-assault-suspect-as-they-renew-appeal-for-witnesses-36964746.html

RTE did not mention that the suspect is a foreign national but the independent did. A rather glaring omission on behalf of RTE, intentional of course. Just in case all the gobshytes of Ireland will go around beating up Spanish ppl.

That's not fair on RTE, they probably did say he had sallow skin which seems to be a euphemism of some sort.

That's how two gents were described on Crime call last night, their black and white photofits making it difficult for the concerned viewer to come to the conclusion.

One of them reminded me of the Johnny Logan classic "Oriental Eyes".
    The other reminded me of that well known group, The Indians.

That's probably all banned now too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Another hard luck story on rte of a welfare mother and her gaggle of kids "homeless" for Xmas, I can hardly contain my contempt any longer.
    The daughter without irony questioning how other people can have nice things for Christmas, maybe they earn money and exchange it for things they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Another hard luck story on rte of a welfare mother and her gaggle of kids "homeless" for Xmas, I can hardly contain my contempt any longer.
    The daughter without irony questioning how other people can have nice things for Christmas, maybe they earn money and exchange it for things they want.

Have to wonder should we all bother paying mortgages, tax etc anymore.

The narrative now is why bother as someone else will pick up the tab.

I saw that program too. Every single night on their news for the last 2 weeks, RTE has been highlighting the "homeless" crisis in Ireland. When I say highlighting, I mean forcing it down our throats as if we (workers/contributors in Ireland) are responsible for the situation that has these single mothers in emergency accommodation.

We are talking about 10,000 - 11,000 people, but RTE is determined to make it into a crisis. Of course they keep using the word "homeless", whereas the real word that should be used is "forever-home-less".

What bothers me with these nightly stories is how orchestrated they are. For example last night, the mother of that teenage girl could have easily set up some Christmas lights or a small Christmas tree in their current accommodation. But no, we had RTE's cameras focus on the solemn girl looking out the window at Christmas decorations on other houses, but none inside the place where this family was staying. And of course, the question was not asked about the mother's employment or the father(s) of the two teenage children and his responsibilities in all of this.

RTE is as disingenuous as they come when reporting these types of social issues. Their biased agenda is glaringly apparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The christmas homeless reporting is done to encourage donations to charity. These peak around christmas and many charities depend on the christmas bonanza to cover running costs year round.

RTE probably view this sort of charity can shaking as part of its public service remit. It's not very honest but it is ostensibly for a good cause and once you see it for what it is it does no great harm.

You'll see the same thing over the next week or so with lots of parallels drawn between Jesus in the manger and people sleeping rough on O'Connell Street, all to get religious people to give generously (maybe there's a lost gospel wherein it is recounted how Our Lord mugged grannies at syringe point, who knows).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The christmas homeless reporting is done to encourage donations to charity. These peak around christmas and many charities depend on the christmas bonanza to cover running costs year round.

RTE probably view this sort of charity can shaking as part of its public service remit. It's not very honest but it is ostensibly for a good cause and once you see it for what it is it does no great harm.

You'll see the same thing over the next week or so with lots of parallels drawn between Jesus in the manger and people sleeping rough on O'Connell Street, all to get religious people to give generously (maybe there's a lost gospel wherein it is recounted how Our Lord mugged grannies at syringe point, who knows).

Anyway, for what it is worth, at no point in the gospels is Jesus connected with homelessness or want (disregarding of course the self-imposed "40" days in the desert).
    At the time of his birth, yes there was an accommodation issue but temporary and not a housing issue as his family were travelling at the time and merely fell victim to overbooking at a busy period! His home was back in Nazareth, was it not.

He worked as a carpenter up to the age or 30. He wasn't perma-welfare scum.

So as for any "comparisons" made by bucket-shakers trying to guilt religious people out of their money to buy new stuff for the CEO, ... jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

Started reading Niamh Horan's interview with Trumper Mick Mulvaney in today's Sindo but had to shoot myself to put me out of my misery, she makes sycophants look independent and impartial

You can see the dangers of people with wealth owning or having part ownership in newspapers, television stations, and other media outlets. This is obvious in the States.
    Looks like we are seeing a bit of it playing out in Ireland with the changing of the guard in the Irish Independent.

It is only very recently that they started reporting abuses by Fine Gael TDs and their obviously fraudulent insurance compensation lawsuits. It makes one think if these TDs thought that they would be safe pursuing these fraudulent cases originally, as "real" reporting by Irish media was effectively bought off.

This scenario of powerful business people owning national newspapers is appalling. They do not buy these newspapers for altruistic reasons; they buy these newspapers so that they control the message/stories that the general public get to see and hear.

We should never trust mainstream media again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Scammell

If you google “New york times rupert Murdoch” an article from 3rd April 2019 shows up. It’s excellent and worth a read if you have 20 minutes to spare.

I am site precluded from linking as I so rarely post.

The article is about Rupert Murdoch and is very, very good. It, to me, demonstrates how money influences government and its agenda/message etc.

Scammell wrote: »
    If you google “New york times rupert Murdoch” an article from 3rd April 2019 shows up. It’s excellent and worth a read if you have 20 minutes to spare.

I am site precluded from linking as I so rarely post.

The article is about Rupert Murdoch and is very, very good. It, to me, demonstrates how money influences government and its agenda/message etc.
    Scammell; with one post every three years in the twelve years since you joined, I'd say that's some sort of record for boards.

I'll post the link for you:
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/03/magazine/rupert-murdoch-fox-news-trump.html

It is indeed an eye opener, but not shocking. Here's a snippet:
    "Murdoch began with a small regional paper in Australia, inherited from his father. He quickly expanded the business into a national and then an international force, in part by ruthlessly using his platform to help elect his preferred candidates and then ruthlessly using those candidates to help extend his reach."

It's the classic back scratching that we also see here in Ireland.

A similar story can be told of Ted Turner and his control of CNN, which seems a 24-hour anti-Trump, anti-republican news channel. A catastrophic comet could be heading towards the planet with impact in just 8 hours, and CNN would barely report it in fear for knocking off Trump from its headlines.

Advertisement