Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The failure of Irish Media to impartially report

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This one ticks all the boxes and more of the stereotypical scrounger.

If Varadkar had balls he'd go out and make a statement looking for support tackling this behaviour against the people who work for a living in this country.

And to the mindless liberals standing behind these scroungers - he'd get that support.

People are fed up with this.

If you can't afford kids and don't know how to use a condom because you are that stupid then keep your legs shut.

But then at 50k a year on all of us maybe she is not that stupid?

That is totally disgraceful.

Let's be honest, I'm sure the likes of Leo and the housing minister etc would love to say out loud what we are all thinking, but if they were to speak their minds, they might as well resign, because their careers would be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In what other country in the world would it be tolerated that someone on state support could take home 50k a year tax free off taxpayers?

I'm serious. Can anyone think of ANY other country in the world that would allow that???

This country is totally fcuked up and needs to get it's affairs in order. That is....I mean what do say about that?

Fcuking Paddyland.

And most of us working our asses off.

Unbelievable.

People like to pretend workers and professionals leave this country due to lack of job opportunities. I know, from experience, that is not entirely true and this bullsh!t is very much part of the reason as well. It really angers people. Pay 50% fcuking tax to support the likes of her!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

In what other country in the world would it be tolerated that someone on state support could take home 50k a year tax free off taxpayers?

I'm serious. Can anyone think of ANY other country in the world that would allow that???

This country is totally fcuked up and needs to get it's affairs in order. That is....I mean what do say about that?

Fcuking Paddyland.

And most of us working our asses off.

Unbelievable.

People like to pretend workers and professionals leave this country due to lack of job opportunities. I know, from experience, that is not entirely true and this bullsh!t is very much part of the reason as well. It really angers people. Pay 50% fcuking tax to support the likes of her!?

I've friends in the UK and I see their situations- even those who don't believe this one woyld either be of the mind that "It's just a tiny percentage" or "what about the mps expenses?".

No reality of thoughts of the rest of us working. Their media is similarly slanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If you are knowledgeable around any particular topic you will see the factually inaccurate and blantently incorrect reporting of topic of it makes the headlines for any reason. Keep that in the back of your mind when you're reading any reporting of a topic you are not familiar with. Many moons ago I completed a research thesis the subject of which made the news not long after my work was completed. I'd a call from a journalist from a top national paper wanting some quotes from me. Because I wouldn't confirm his wholly inaccurate grasping of the topic he wouldn't use my research in his report.

We really need critical thinking to be ingrained into our education system so people learn to look beyond what they are being presented with.

SeaFields wrote: »
    If you are knowledgeable around any particular topic you will see the factually inaccurate and blantently incorrect reporting of topic of it makes the headlines for any reason. Keep that in the back of your mind when you're reading any reporting of a topic you are not familiar with. Many moons ago I completed a research thesis the subject of which made the news not long after my work was completed. I'd a call from a journalist from a top national paper wanting some quotes from me. Because I wouldn't confirm his wholly inaccurate grasping of the topic he wouldn't use my research in his report.

We really need critical thinking to be ingrained into our education system so people learn to look beyond what they are being presented with.

I've rarely agreed so strongly with a post!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Deiselurker

The Irish media refuse to say anything negative about travellers, asylum seekers and other minorities due to their liberal bias and fear of criticism by quangos. The quality of reporting of stories is ridiculous with press releases from pressure groups being reported as facts and no questioning of them is allowed. Last Saturday morning at 8am the headline story on the radio was the death of a trans asylum seeker in a direct provision centre in Galway. No foul play was suspected. How could that be the main story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

This one ticks all the boxes and more of the stereotypical scrounger.

If Varadkar had balls he'd go out and make a statement looking for support tackling this behaviour against the people who work for a living in this country.

And to the mindless liberals standing behind these scroungers - he'd get that support.

People are fed up with this.

If you can't afford kids and don't know how to use a condom because you are that stupid then keep your legs shut.

But then at 50k a year on all of us maybe she is not that stupid?

That is totally disgraceful.

He did and he was lambasted by everyone and every party.

We were told there is no welfare fraud by Ruth koppinger and Sinn Fein.

Ugh I hate the way this country has gone.

Any opinion just shot down by the liberal left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

markodaly wrote: »
    https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/enniscorthy-guardian/20171212/281779924469721

This is the kicker, has any of the national press commentated or released that information.
    The Irish media is a joke.
    Of course they havent. They remember what happened the likes of Kevin Myers when he raised the issue of single mothers and the fathers of the children making no contribution to their upkeep.
    They all love to portray themselves as modern day Veronica Guerins but in fact mostcare just writing colour pieces about the Horse Show or what colour socks Varadkar is wearing

Edgware wrote: »
    https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/enniscorthy-guardian/20171212/281779924469721

This is the kicker, has any of the national press commentated or released that information.
    The Irish media is a joke.
    Of course they havent. They remember what happened the likes of Kevin Myers when he raised the issue of single mothers and the fathers of the children making no contribution to their upkeep.
    They all love to portray themselves as modern day Veronica Guerins but in fact mostcare just writing colour pieces about the Horse Show or what colour socks Varadkar is wearing

Apparently Leo wearing a jacket that cost 700 euro is a national scandal according to the loony left.

Yet that one Cash could buy one a month and barely make a dent. Why not attack the REAL issue???

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭flookdgates

The Ibrahim Halawa fairytale really opened my eyes as to how rotten the media in this country is. Day in day out, they championed this guy's case despite his dubious alibi and his father's links to the Muslim Brotherhood. It was private citizens like Mark Humphrys who did the investigative journalism to uncover Halawa's dirty little secrets. The circus celebrating his return to Ireland and the ensuing fluff interview on RTE was nauseating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The internet is the death spiral of the Irish media. They can no longer spin their bull**** lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The internet is the death spiral of the Irish media. They can no longer spin their bull**** lies.
    At least we have After Hours to let us know the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Kivaro wrote: »
    Liberalism can be a good thing sometimes, but RTE takes it to the extreme in their one-sided reporting of all things liberal.

RTE fawn over the Iona Institute constantly. If they had balls they'd refuse to let a tiny organisation of a few crackpots near the airwaves.

RTE's first abortion debate was a complete joke, the Yes side were barely allowed speak. Pat Kenny and TV3 had to show them how to do it properly, he shut Maria Steen up several times when she tried to monopolise the debate.

Then just the other day Ronan Mullen got several minutes on Drivetime spouting utter BS completely unchallenged. It was basically a party election broadcast on his behalf, he explicitly pleaded for votes.

So is it bias, or rather a complete lack of professionalism and standards? Maybe a little from column A and a lot from column B.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It seems Fianna Fail have lost the plot and are on the wrong side of the Margaret Cash story. FF Spokesperson on Housing, Darragh O’Brien TD called for the establishment of a time specific taskforce to address the crisis in child homelessness in Ireland. Here is his quote:
    “The reports which emerged from Tallaght this week are appalling but shockingly this wasn’t an isolated incident."

The irony behind this quote is probably the vast majority of us totally agree with it. What happened was "appalling" i.e. a Traveller gang member, who has terrorised the vulnerable around the country, and is receiving over €54K in tax-free benefits every year, obviously played the media and politicians by her Garda station publicity stunt.
    And I also agree with the second part of Fianna Fail's quote; I most certainly agree that this type of scam is "not an isolated incident", and it is being perpetrated by many other scammers.
    However, the Fianna Fail spokesperson did not see the incident like the rest of us did.

The animated Darragh O’Brien TD who appeared on television after the Garda station circus, tried to depict Charles-Dickens-era child homelessness on the streets of Ireland; hence his demand for a child homelessness task force.

Is Fianna Fail the new Sinn Fein?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

RTE fawn over the Iona Institute constantly. If they had balls they'd refuse to let a tiny organisation of a few crackpots near the airwaves.

RTE's first abortion debate was a complete joke, the Yes side were barely allowed speak. Pat Kenny and TV3 had to show them how to do it properly, he shut Maria Steen up several times when she tried to monopolise the debate.

Then just the other day Ronan Mullen got several minutes on Drivetime spouting utter BS completely unchallenged. It was basically a party election broadcast on his behalf, he explicitly pleaded for votes.

So is it bias, or rather a complete lack of professionalism and standards? Maybe a little from column A and a lot from column B.

Mate, the abortion ref was 3 months ago, you won, you're OK, relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Kivaro wrote: »
    It seems Fianna Fail have lost the plot and are on the wrong side of the Margaret Cash story. FF Spokesperson on Housing, Darragh O’Brien TD called for the establishment of a time specific taskforce to address the crisis in child homelessness in Ireland. Here is his quote:
    “The reports which emerged from Tallaght this week are appalling but shockingly this wasn’t an isolated incident."

The irony behind this quote is probably the vast majority of us totally agree with it. What happened was "appalling" i.e. a Traveller gang member, who has terrorised the vulnerable around the country, and is receiving over €54K in tax-free benefits every year, obviously played the media and politicians by her Garda station publicity stunt.
    And I also agree with the second part of Fianna Fail's quote; I most certainly agree that this type of scam is "not an isolated incident", and it is being perpetrated by many other scammers.
    However, the Fianna Fail spokesperson did not see the incident like the rest of us did.

The animated Darragh O’Brien TD who appeared on television after the Garda station circus, tried to depict Charles-Dickens-era child homelessness on the streets of Ireland; hence his demand for a child homelessness task force.

Is Fianna Fail the new Sinn Fein?

I don’t know. What I do know is that internet comment that is pseudonymous isn’t going to sway any party. FB posts tend to be sympathetic to the mother here, as are most tweets.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, there is definitely a bias in media reporting but it was always thus. There has always been an agenda by the media and this is especially obvious in print media like the newspapers.

The sad thing is that the average Joe seems to soak up this rubbish. For instance, we are practically hearing nothing about the humanitarian disaster befalling Yemen because the media are pressured from the powers that be to not report it.

But this thread, like so many others on boards, smacks of Angry Young Man syndrome where everyone on welfare is a waster and scrounger and the “honest working people” are shafted at every turn. Barstool talk. Black and white thinking.

The reality is that the world is a very complex place and simplistic explanations just lead to poorly informed opinions, and Leo and chums in govt are delighted with that. Divide and conquer tactics and we seem to fall for it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

... Channel 4 news had an article about the brutality of the Assad regime to divert attention away from western backed crimes and atrocities in Yemen.
    How do you know that that was their motivation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I find it amazing how earnest some of the journos seem to be on these stories. They really reveal themselves to be pure idiots. I'm thinking of tweets from Kitty Holland and Patrick Freyne. Bleeding heart morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

indioblack wrote: »
    How do you know that that was their motivation?

No western media is covering Yemen with the same kind of level of coverage as they did Syria. It’s barely mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

No western media is covering Yemen with the same kind of level of coverage as they did Syria. It’s barely mentioned.

Understood. I was wondering about the connection between one tv channel and the actions of governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

NIMAN wrote: »
    Let's be honest, I'm sure the likes of Leo and the housing minister etc would love to say out loud what we are all thinking, but if they were to speak their minds, they might as well resign, because their careers would be over.

Probably but there's a lot of working people in the company getting shafted. I'd be sure (or at least hope) that if they were presented with the facts of what their taxes are actually going on, they'd be able to push through stuff that the left would be trying to shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Roanmore wrote: »
    I haven't been following this story much aside from the headlines but Newstalk had a piece on this story today, basically how people were using social media to vent and abuse Margaret Cash.
    It started out balanced enough, the guy standing in for Ivan Yeats said he would read texts from both sides.
    He started off reading the pro texts, spoke softly and solemnly, next the anti texts, his voice changed, nothing but contempt for the people's viewpoint.

The last text, some guy said that if a dog constantly had pups the owner would be described as irresponsible and said surely having 8 kids when you can't afford it is irresponsible. Maybe a little insensitive but what happened next I thought was a disgrace. First of all he said people who make these comments never leave their name, he was corrected by his production team.
    Then he said here we have a guy comparing Margaret Cash to a bitching dog on a puppy farm. He then repeated it for good measure. The texter never mentioned bitch or puppy, they were the presenter's words.

Next Fergus Finlay chimes in defending Margaret Cash having a big family comparing it to his own large family. The thing is he undermined his own argument by saying his parents did lots of things to earn money to raise their family. Presenter never said a word, too busy having a rant against people who were complaining about not being able to afford children even they were working and paying taxes.

It was Cuddihy himself who talked about the ‘irresponsible’ dog owner having 15 dogs they couldn’t afford to care for in the previous part of the show about dogs being re-homed, think the guy was just calling him out knowing his stance on the Cash story. Couldn’t believe the change in tone as he read out the texts incredible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Liamo08 wrote: »
    It was Cuddihy himself who talked about the ‘irresponsible’ dog owner having 15 dogs they couldn’t afford to care for in the previous part of the show about dogs being re-homed, think the guy was just calling him out knowing his stance on the Cash story. Couldn’t believe the change in tone as he read out the texts incredible stuff.

Thanks for that, missed that story. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Remember the Larry Goodman saga. First reported by Granada television. Then finally picked up by RTE.
    Clerical abuse? First story was done by UTV, when it was safe to do so the southern media piled in.
    RTE had a full investigation of shenanigans in the Irish sweepstakes, finally shown long after the Irish Sweep was consigned to history.
    Dodgy dealings in Facebook in Dublin? Thank you Channel 4

So no, I don't hold the Irish media in high regard.

Mate, the abortion ref was 3 months ago, you won, you're OK, relax.

Yeah, you're right, bias and low standards at RTE should just be ignored :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The sad thing is that the average Joe seems to soak up this rubbish. For instance, we are practically hearing nothing about the humanitarian disaster befalling Yemen because the media are pressured from the powers that be to not report it.

Whatever about RTE (Given up on them for news a long time ago) the Irish Times does report on it.
    The reality is that the world is a very complex place and simplistic explanations just lead to poorly informed opinions

Like conspiracy theories about "the powers that be" silencing certain stories? What would any journalist, editor or publisher gain from that?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Doc07

SeaFields wrote: »

I rarely venture away from the cycling/sports sections on boards and a lot of this thread leaves a bad taste but that is one of the best posts I’ve ever read on an Internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what I don't understand , Dennis O'Brien fought a hugely expensive war to take control of the Indo from the O'Reillys - he won the war , and then presided over its decsent into utter cheap rubbish - it is pratically given away for free - who would actually pay for its unimaginate journalism , with tantilising sensationlist headlines that tell us nothing? - it truly is an awful read today , of what was once a reasonable news source.

• Advertisement

The Indo was sliding into the gutter a long time before DO'B got control of it.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement