Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The failure of Irish Media to impartially report

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Any academic that focuses on the perception of refugees in social media works in a discipline that adheres to compulsory consensus on these issues. It would be career suicide for an academic to challenge the consensus so such academics simply don't exist, at least not in Irish universities. Academic rigour, unshackled by ideology, may remain in the sciences, particularly hard sciences where they cannot threaten any sacred cows, much as mathematics and chess were safe and popular intellectual pursuits in the USSR.

I noticed the same rewriting of history shortly after the Cologne events. The Irish Times for example first ignored the story, then some time later published some editorial "dismissing" the assertion that the incident was ignored by old media.

While parts of old media still do great work we have long ago passed the point where most of it is unreliable, heavily biased rubbish that new media regularly surpasses for accuracy and honesty.

Good post CH.
    For a long time I could not figure out the GroupThink by the Irish Media when it came to these types of topics. And then I realised it was self-preservation. As you said yourself, it would be career suicide to challenge the GroupThink. People like Matt Cooper go overboard with their criticism of anyone who do not have liberal views on refugees or economic migration for example, so much so that when I hear him discussing these topics, I believe he is auditioning for RTE.

Speaking of RTE; they really have nothing to worry about when the people 'rise' and get rid of them. They will always find work in places like North Korea. They have already shown that they are very good as a unit to extol one extreme view and suppress any malcontent voices that may be contrary to that view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The new priestly caste is turning out to be every bit as bad as the last shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

mikemac2 wrote: »

George Hook used to have a very funny American right winger. You could disagree with almost everything he said but damn he was entertaining and at least you thought of something else. Sorry can't remember his name. I loved that guy! Gonna keep googling, I'm determined to find his name. The guy Michael D attacked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Graham_(radio_personality)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,756 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There is no money or value in truth these days. Trump is wrong about a lot but he is right when he talks about fake news.

He's a great producer of "fake news" and questionable facts himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Back in the 2000's, RTE was known by the sobriquets Pravda RTE and RTEFF given their soft-soaping of Fianna Fail politicians.

I have not got a TV and will never pay for a TV license even if they try and add the charge to internet devices.

I refuse to pay for their propaganda and **** programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I would be a firm advocate of bringing back the workhouses and yes, the Magdalene Laundries too, although the residents could be tasked with work other than laundry duty as most people have washing machines these days and if you did need a launderette, such entities already exist. In the old days, picking oakum was a common task performed by orphans and such like in the care of the parishes but I would like to see these institutions compete with China in the production of everything from circuit boards to running shoes. Perhaps this could be done via cottage industries rather than institutions but either way, the Irish need to work harder for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

The Sunday Independent had a full page spread on the 'orgasm gap' between men and women written by Niamh Horan this week.

If that doesn't signal the death of Irish journalism I don't know what does.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I would be a firm advocate of bringing back the workhouses and yes, the Magdalene Laundries too, although the residents could be tasked with work other than laundry duty as most people have washing machines these days and if you did need a launderette, such entities already exist. In the old days, picking oakum was a common task performed by orphans and such like in the care of the parishes but I would like to see these institutions compete with China in the production of everything from circuit boards to running shoes. Perhaps this could be done via cottage industries rather than institutions but either way, the Irish need to work harder for less.

you want to go back to locking up pregnant single girls? **** me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Any academic that focuses on the perception of refugees in social media works in a discipline that adheres to compulsory consensus on these issues. It would be career suicide for an academic to challenge the consensus so such academics simply don't exist, at least not in Irish universities. Academic rigour, unshackled by ideology, may remain in the sciences, particularly hard sciences where they cannot threaten any sacred cows, much as mathematics and chess were safe and popular intellectual pursuits in the USSR.

In general yes, but even the hard sciences weren't safe from ideological dogma in the Soviet Union. e.g. Lysenko and Genetics.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism

In the current era, there's voices saying that anything which may have been developed by privileged white males is suspect. e.g. Math's is racist: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/teaching-maths-white-privilege-illinois-university-professor-rochelle-gutierrez-a8018521.html
    (although I actually first heard that claim from someone in a Labour council in an early 80s documentary about the UK "looney left").

If current trends continue, expect the sciences to come under attack for being fundamentally, racist, sexist, bourgouis or whatever the latest thing is. Biology is an obvious target for the Gender studies crowd.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-unfortunate-fallout-of-campus-postmodernism/

Eventually we could be hearing about it in the Irish media. Not as intellectual discussion but as dogma.

you want to go back to locking up pregnant single girls? **** me.

No, there is no need to lock them up. I am simply saying they should have the workhouse option, or destitution if they prefer or (hopefully) their family or significant other to provide for them, just not the taxpayer.

In the old days (pre 1900), it was the parishes that provided these social services at no cost to the taxpayer. In other words, many of those who were in a position to contribute, did so and of course giving is worthwhile in itself as Scrooge discovered. People became less charitable as the state took over the provision of services as they were taxed more to pay for those things.

Despite appearances, the old way was better. You see, the populist policies like the funding of a welfare state is expensive. How expensive is only made known in a real and visceral way when recessionary times come and I would be of the view that the next one will be a doozy. Had we had workhouses instead of a welfare state, then we would we more productive in output and no debt would have accumulated in the provision of these services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Any discussion on topics like immigration or housing these days on RTE and Virgin 1 is full of lefties like Alison O Connor and Colette Browne, or hard left people like Brendan Ogle who are given easy interviews and questions a lot of viewers want to be asked are never touched on.

You never see Ian o Doherty on these programmes anymore because he would wipe the floor with the people mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Whatever about the bigger issues of this OP, I have to say Bryan Dobson was a massive massive loss to the RTE newsroom. He was a very skilled interviewer and anyone under his glare got a right grilling whether it be about homelessness, health scandals etc. The two presenters now are woeful in that regards. I think her name is Ceilin Shanly or something, she was interviewing the head of the Kerry Hospital yesterday regarding the deaths of patients who got wrong scan info. Dobbo would have been right in there "Who is responsible for this? What these patients need is justice and someone to be brought to account" and other questions along those lines. Whereas she just asked a few timid questions, got his name wrong at the end of it and left it at that. Pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

The tonight show on Tv3 has to be up there with the worst of them. Those two flutes that host it make me want to vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

The tonight show on Tv3 has to be up there with the worst of them. Those two flutes that host it make me want to vomit.

The decline in Matt Cooper is sad to see, who was a very good and balanced journalist/had a great show till about 2 or 3 years ago and now he takes the far left/pc opinion and never challenges/calls out some of these ludicrous stances by them

I see on RTÉ's 9pm news a moment ago that "students" were rioting again today. Just looking at the pictures, it's good to see that such a disproportionate number of "students" in France are being drawn from an, eh, "non-traditional" French background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Any chance you’d get a job, yourself.

I see on RTÉ's 9pm news a moment ago that "students" were rioting again today. Just looking at the pictures, it's good to see that such a disproportionate number of "students" in France are being drawn from an, eh, "non-traditional" French background.

They look mostly white to me. The riots are a mixture of right and left. The old order is crumbling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The infamous Bertie Ahern interview will forever sour my opinion on Dobson.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

By far the worst offenders are the Journal. They seem hellbent on being the ultimate snowflakes and virtue signallers even amongst the Uber PC Irish media.

The decline in Matt Cooper is sad to see, who was a very good and balanced journalist/had a great show till about 2 or 3 years ago and now he takes the far left/pc opinion and never challenges/calls out some of these ludicrous stances by them

Could only handle about 30 seconds of listening to Matt Cooper attack Paschal Donohoe on the Sinn Fein/Boyd-Barrett Tonight Show last night before I switched off. "Show" is an apt word for that disastrous program.

The way that Cooper pontificated the question when asking the minister of finance if he was ashamed of himself with all the homelessness in Ireland.
    Of course he knows that Donohoe cannot respond by saying that the homeless situation in Ireland is not a crisis and to reduce the numbers is impossible when economic migrants are arriving into the country on a daily basis and declaring themselves homeless.

Cooper does not speak for the majority in Ireland; in fact he speaks for a tiny liberal minority. One of these days, as a test case, we should launch a boycott of one of his primary sponsors/advertisers and let's see if they are willing to risk their bottom line by supporting Cooper's liberal causes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Here are some French students that were protesting against new exam measures. I have seen reports that they had to kneel for up to 4 hours.

Zorya wrote: »
    Here are some French students that were protesting against new exam measures. I have seen reports that they had to kneel for up to 4 hours.

I will not give credence to that YouTube clip by clicking on it. But claiming that they are children? And being humiliated?
    Watching France24 this morning, these "children" (according to witnesses) were burning out cars and threatening the occupants that they would be burned alive. They were also involved in adult-type rioting, and should be treated as such.

Poor craturs ............ having to kneel for up to 4 hours.
    This was the norm for a lot of us growing up in Ireland and we (well, most of us) were out not rioting over exam measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The most apt support of the premise of the thread title "The failure of Irish Media to impartially report" was the fact the thread directly underneath it was the thread "Margaret Cash appears in court over stealing €300 worth of clothes from Pennys".

If one wants to see the lack of impartiality of the Irish media then the Margaret Cash reporting and the Peter Casey reporting are primes examples of it.

Any chance you’d get a job, yourself.

You mean like Master of the workhouse? Perhaps, and I`d see to it you would not be bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Any discussion on topics like immigration or housing these days on RTE and Virgin 1 is full of lefties like Alison O Connor and Colette Browne, or hard left people like Brendan Ogle who are given easy interviews and questions a lot of viewers want to be asked are never touched on.

You never see Ian o Doherty on these programmes anymore because he would wipe the floor with the people mentioned above.

It's more that Ian gets...how shall we put this...quite 'emotional' at times. When things aren't going his way he tends to just lash out. Some of what he says makes a lot of sense but he can't control himself.

You mean like Master of the workhouse? Perhaps, and I`d see to it you would not be bored.

I’d be surprised if you are earning anywhere close to me. Or indeed the average industrial wage.

You obviously don’t work, given your hatred of workers, so please tell us what you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

It's more that Ian gets...how shall we put this...quite 'emotional' at times. When things aren't going his way he tends to just lash out. Some of what he says makes a lot of sense but he can't control himself.

That actually makes for good TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

The Sunday Independent had a full page spread on the 'orgasm gap' between men and women written by Niamh Horan this week.

If that doesn't signal the death of Irish journalism I don't know what does.

Died long ago.
    She's hanging in there a long time.
    Herself and Barry Egan wrote some shîte during the 'tiger years.

And still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/keeping-it-country-agriculture-students-sorry-for-lewd-remarks-on-ucd-radio-show-37603219.html

From the article: "In 2016, students from the same UCD School of Agriculture also came in for criticism over an alleged Facebook group involving male students rating images of female students.

At the time, a spokesperson for the university said it would investigate the allegations."

No mention that said investigation did take place and found no evidence this facebook group ever existed.

• Advertisement

Todd Gack wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/keeping-it-country-agriculture-students-sorry-for-lewd-remarks-on-ucd-radio-show-37603219.html

From the article: "In 2016, students from the same UCD School of Agriculture also came in for criticism over an alleged Facebook group involving male students rating images of female students.

At the time, a spokesperson for the university said it would investigate the allegations."

No mention that said investigation did take place and found no evidence this facebook group ever existed.

Any idea what was said?

Advertisement