Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

I'm not the least envious...! Not. At. All...
    My upgrade window starts on the 25th (in one hour and 1 minute) so I called Three earlier and asked nicely if it was possible for them to extend it by one day to allow me to sign up during the pre-order period but they were surprisingly inflexible even though I've been with them for something like 7-8 years. I guess I'll be switching to a new operator once my current contracts expires. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Just started to get the dreaded mmc_read error today on my trusty Note4, time to upgrade.

I assume all the preorder deals are over now?
    Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Mine wasn’t delivered yesterday. I’m not home until next Saturday anyway so as long as it arrives by then I don’t mind.

I think someone posted earlier that when they checked out on the three site the 799 price was coming up, might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Very good battery for me so far, 4 hours 20 minutes screen on time yesterday 48% battery.

Doing speed tests on 4g around 1230am, 80 mbps 20mbps or so up. But that totally depends on the demand on the local mast

Get Autodesk sketchup for drawing.

Get all of the apps from good lock, task changer, quick changer, quick lock, etc.

I'm going to try install adhell 3 today. It's a lot more involved than SABS was but it'll be worth it. It's so odd to see an ad online for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Initial impressions from everyone all good then? I see eglobal have it for €858 at the moment.

Edit - they're all dual SIM though.

_

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Initial impressions from everyone all good then? I see eglobal have it for €858 at the moment.

Would recommend 100%

Have to remind myself that I'm not using my Note 8. Hoping the battery life will be a differentiator. Was really pleased with the Note 8, but the price I got this for made it a no-brainer.

Edit: actually the one big difference I've noticed so far is the stereo speakers. Having the front firing one makes a big difference.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Have to remind myself that I'm not using my Note 8. Hoping the battery life will be a differentiator. Was really pleased with the Note 8, but the price I got this for made it a no-brainer.

The 850 mark is tempting for me as it's around what I'd budget every year, but I probably have too many reasons to hold off still. It would take Vodafone a little while to get to that price range anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Yep, that was me. I managed to buy it for €799. Bank account shows a debit of €799. Got an order confirmation as well. No idea when it'll be delivered though.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Anyone got recommendations for screen protectors and cases?

• Advertisement

Skittle wrote: »
    Anyone got recommendations for screen protectors and cases?

I've got these screen protectors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FXL4H4Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ZvyGBb7EM4FCM

And using this case

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FJMRBYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_YwyGBb4J5YN1T

Screen protector seems good, working well with the case. I'm not a fan of tempered glass protectors, which is why I went for this type. The case is also better than expected. I just ordered something that would arrive from Amazon in time for the phone delivery. Have a couple of other ones on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I know its a trope at this stage but I have to ask you Basil, seeing as you switched from HTC's to the note. How do you find the software performance?!

Iv a ****y annoying Bluetooth glitch on the U12+ ruining an otherwise perfect experience, but im nearly due an upgrade with Vodafone so im thinking of getting rid.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I know its a trope at this stage but I have to ask you Basil, seeing as you switched from HTC's to the note. How do you find the software performance?!

Iv a ****y annoying Bluetooth glitch on the U12+ ruining an otherwise perfect experience, but im nearly due an upgrade with Vodafone so im thinking of getting rid.

My Note 8 is still nice and smooth after a year, and I expect the same from the Note 9. Samsung's general UX/UI is much better than HTC's these days. Samsung have constantly updated and improved TouchWiz (or whatever they call it now), while HTC haven't changed or improved in years.

The only thing I'd say was better on HTC was headphone audio (although I haven't even used headphones on the Note 9 yet, and in its favour it does have a 3.5mm jack).

I haven't even heard about the BT glitch, will have to Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Its some kind of compatability issue with vw group cars. Every 30 seconds or so you get a little skip like a scratched cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Basil3 wrote: »
    The only thing I'd say was better on HTC was headphone audio (although I haven't even used headphones on the Note 9 yet, and in its favour it does have a 3.5mm jack).

I was going to ask this very question! Audio performance is a must for me, I listen to tons of music on a near daily basis and this was always Samsungs weak point.

Testament1 wrote: »
    I was going to ask this very question! Audio performance is a must for me, I listen to tons of music on a near daily basis and this was always Samsungs weak point.

I'm no audiophile, but the uSonics that come with the HTC U11 blow away with AKGs that come with the Note 8. I don't own expensive headphones, so can't really comment on the overall quality.

I'll have a listen to the Note 9 audio later, and even compare to the Note 8 to see if it has improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Oh that doesn’t sound good, ive got a few pairs of headphones. Sound quality high on my agenda when looking at a phone. Mostly listen in the car these days as I’ve a record player at home for proper listening but will be disappointed if the sound isn’t great when I do occasionally use my headphones with the phone.

If you are an audiophile then no phone dac will be good enough. Get a portable dac and then choose whatever phone you want

• Advertisement

If you are an audiophile then no phone dac will be good enough. Get a portable dac and then choose whatever phone you want

Oh I know that but convenience is a consideration for me when listening on my phone and I just have no interest in carrying around a DAC. I’ve been iPhone the last 2 years and while it’s not amazing the sound is passable.

Surprised power amp is still the player to beat, would have expected something new to have taken its place or for it to have lost its way. Will download it again as soon as I get home to the phone.

If you're listening to music on Spotify then you're no 'audiophile' anyway so it won't matter what phone really.

First full day and I got 8 hours screen on time over 24 hours. I would take a screenshot of battery life on new devices every year, and last year my Note 8 only got 5 hours SOT in the first 24 hours, with both devices down to 10%

I know there's a lot of variables at play, but first impressions are good.

If you're listening to music on Spotify then you're no 'audiophile' anyway so it won't matter what phone really.

Wouldn’t consider myself an audiophile but I do appreciate good sound. At home I wouldn’t use Spotify if I was properly listening to something but when on the move Spotify, Apple Music etc. is the only option for me. I’ve seen some of the players the guys on r/headphones and r/audiophile use and just could never see myself carrying them around as well as my phone.

Anyway back on topic. I’m trying to find the official Samsung clear cover, not the clear view it’s basically their version of the spigen liquid crystal but can’t find it anywhere other than on their site which I can’t order from. Anyone come across it?

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried bixby 2.0? I completely disabled it so that the button presses and nothing happens. I wish you could just remap it..

You can.....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.bxactions

I paid for pro, well worth it.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Yeah I had a look at that and it doesn't work with secure startup. A no go for me.

Is secure startup a work requirement, or something you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Any Note 9 owners interested in making 20 euro for their Exclusive Galaxy Fortnite Skin please send me a PM. I will happily take if off you.

I'm an S9 Plus owner and sadly this isn't available to us.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-unlock-the-galaxy-skin-in-fortnite/

Advertisement