Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alex Jones content removed from Facebook, Youtube, Apple

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Taytoland wrote: »
    I have already said that is wrong. But it's opening a can of worms. It's not just fringe elements who push conspiracy theories. I see plenty of it from US tv shows.

It isn't. The average news outlet does not do what Alex Jones does, they don't encourage people to go after the families of tragedies or accuse them of being 'crisis actors', they don't claim that FEMA are running top secret death camps. They don't engage in any of the bollocks that Alex Jones does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

That's the problem right there. It's people viewing these things as though they're in one of two tribes which is nonsense. I try not to do that and I get into arguments with people who identify with both tribes. It's possible to believe that Jeong was making racist statements and at the same time see that Alex Jones was ditched because he was a libelous nutter that companies wouldn't want to be associated with and not as some conservative purge.
    His Sandy Hook stuff is outrageous. But this has been known for years. Why didn't they decide it was too far years ago? His claims on Sandy Hook are just bizarre. They bear as much in reality as those who say a billion people live on the moon.

batgoat wrote: »
    It isn't. The average news outlet does not do what Alex Jones does, they don't encourage people to go after the families of tragedies or accuse them of being 'crisis actors', they don't claim that FEMA are running top secret death camps. They don't engage in any of the bollocks that Alex Jones does.
    Plenty still push "lesser" conspiracies. We see it currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

His Sandy Hook stuff is outrageous. But this has been known for years. Why didn't they decide it was too far years ago? His claims on Sandy Hook are just bizarre. They bear as much in reality as those who say a billion people live on the moon.

The lawsuit against him in relation to Sandy Hook only began last week. It's incredibly bad PR for any social media network to be giving a platform a conspiracy outlet that has literally wrecked lives and is presently being sued for it.
    Plenty still push "lesser" conspiracies. We see it currently.

Currently much of what we're seeing on news outlets is reporting on actual investigations into Russia for example. All security agencies in the US agree that they attempted to influence the election and there are questions over if the president colluded. Over 20 people have been indicted. That is very much so news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That's the problem right there. It's people viewing these things as though they're in one of two tribes which is nonsense. I try not to do that and I get into arguments with people who identify with both tribes. It's possible to believe that Jeong was making racist statements and at the same time see that Alex Jones was ditched because he was a libelous nutter that companies wouldn't want to be associated with and not as some conservative purge.

There really is far too much an "it's ok when one of ours does it" attitude on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm not seeing that. From what I can tell, Jones was being enough of a douche that some private companies no longer wanted to be associated with him.

Now, I get that he has been adopted and legitimised by Republicans in the US and I get that many self-described conservatives dislike when one of their own is being attacked but this is really just a case of private companies protecting their brand by getting rid of a douche.

He's not being picked on for being conservative; he's being picked on because he's a major asshole.

So you believe they have no dog in the race? Come on, both FB and Twitter have been found manipulating their platforms to favour democrats.

Anyway, I think Ben (someone who's regularly attacked by Jones) calls the situation quite well with the following (jump to 1m 42s in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Looks like he got too close to the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Looks like he got too close to the truth.

If by close you mean light years away, then yes. Yes he was.

batgoat wrote: »
    The lawsuit against him in relation to Sandy Hook only began last week. It's incredibly bad PR for any social media network to be giving a platform a conspiracy outlet that has literally wrecked lives and is presently being sued for it.

Currently much of what we're seeing on news outlets is reporting on actual investigations into Russia for example. All security agencies in the US agree that they attempted to influence the election and there are questions over if the president colluded. Over 20 people have been indicted. That is very much so news.
    Evidence is required that he colluded with the Kremlin. By presenters just saying he did is conspiracy territory. Russian interfering is not the same as collusion between Trump and the Kremlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Grayson wrote: »
    You said people kill all blacks is hate speech but kill all whites isn't. So you've never seen an occasion where someone said kill all white, never mind where it was tolerated?

How can you say that kill all whites is tolerated whereas kill all blacks isn't?

As for Sarah Jeong, that's whatabouttery since she didn't call for any group of people to be killed, and she was responding to trolls mimicking their own language. She never said any racist views except when already presented with that language.

As opposed to your example which was kill all whites/blacks or even what Alex Jones did when he said burn all drag queens.

That Sarah Jeong defense is odd. If she was just repeating what was said to her we’d see those tweets.

• Advertisement

Evidence is required that he colluded with the Kremlin. By presenters just saying he did is conspiracy territory. Russian interfering is not the same as collusion between Trump and the Kremlin.

He just admitted on twatter that his dim son met with Russians for info.
    I don't think Russia changed the outcome of the election, but trump surrounded himself by some dodgy (and Roger Stone is basically a clone of Alex Jones) people, so it's more guilt by association.
    It's hilarious that he spent eh campaign chanting "lock her up" and now his former campaign manger is on trial.
    And we still have to get to anything Michael Coen may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

So you believe they have no dog in the race? Come on, both FB and Twitter have been found manipulating their platforms to favour democrats.

It's not that I lack a dog in the race. It's that I can look at a situation and ask "Is this right" without first asking "Is this someone from my side?". When Jeong says racist stuff, I see racist stuff - I don't think "Oh a liberal! It must be sarcasm or irony or anything else but racism".

As for manipulating their platforms, I'll need you to narrow that down or be more specific because that could mean a lot of things.

That Sarah Jeong defense is odd. If she was just repeating what was said to her we’d see those tweets.

Yeah, it's like some people think that only white people can be racist.
    Some of the tweets smacked of complete and utter stupidity, like thinking there is a monolithic white culture.

Ipso wrote: »
    He just admitted on twatter that his dim son met with Russians for info.
    I don't think Russia changed the outcome of the election, but trump surrounded himself by some dodgy (and Roger Stone is basically a clone of Alex Jones) people, so it's more guilt by association.
    It's hilarious that he spent eh campaign chanting "lock her up" and now his former campaign manger is on trial.
    And we still have to get to anything Michael Coen may have.
    Let's see what the final report says. But none of us can say right now that Trump colluded with Russia without the evidence presented until the report comes out. I want to see evidence that Trump colluded with the Kremlin (Putin) to influence the US election to help him win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Whatever happens via Trump/Mueller there will be a hell-storm, I hope I'm alive to see it :D

Personally I don't believe there was some big hidden conspiracy, I think Trump realized Russia were helping him and he went along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ipso wrote: »
    If by close you mean light years away, then yes. Yes he was.

What if the truth is stranger than fiction. I don't watch alex jones but deleting him from the internet is going to increase his profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,348 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JJJJNR wrote: »
    What if the truth is stranger than fiction. I don't watch alex jones but deleting him from the internet is going to increase his profile.

he has not been deleted from the internet. his own website is still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

And she always seemed like such a nice, mild mannered, Welsh lassie. Hate speech eh? Who'd have thought it.

Alex-Jones.jpg

It goes against to essence of free speech. If you love him, that's your argument. If you hate him, you say it's a private platform.

Personally, I dislike him and think he's a wanker, but I don't think he should be taken off services which are pretty much public utilities at this point.

If Putin bought YouTube and promoted this stuff, people who supported the removal of Jones would implode and their argument would quickly change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There never was collusion. And even if there was, it wasn't illegal anyway :pac:

We never agreed or coordinated anything. I just blindly did what me oul' bestie Vlad told me to. That's hardly collusion now is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Hopefully Russia Today will be the next to go. While the internet has allowed us to see and do wonderful things, it has also allowed nutjobs to spout "facts" and the wifi enabled tinfoil hats are lapping it up.

Just look at the comments section under a story involving the UK or US on the Russia Today website.

These people need physiological help!

Oh and journalists are upstanding people with the interests of the public in mind, they seek to investigate and spread the truth ? my arse !

Alex Jones is now gone from Tune In Radio and as a result I've deleted the app from all my devices.

Think 1984, North Korea, China, New World Order ? this is just the beginning and it won't be the end.

What next ? twitter, Facebook and Youtube are already censoring material they "they" deem unsuitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

0452262933.jpg

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Hopefully Russia Today will be the next to go. While the internet has allowed us to see and do wonderful things, it has also allowed nutjobs to spout "facts" and the wifi enabled tinfoil hats are lapping it up.

Just look at the comments section under a story involving the UK or US on the Russia Today website.

These people need physiological help!

Well you do see what's happening here don't you ? yes, the internet has brought freedom of speech like we never imagined possible but now you will have to abide by the rules set out by commercial companies and Governments and soon you won't be able to say anything they don't agree with, do you actually not see a problem with this ?

What's going to get banned next ? what about an intranet like internet the North Koreans have where it's only Government approved sites and media you can listen to and see ? I guess you'd like that, after all the Government and the Media are there to protect you and look out for your best interests !

manual_man wrote: »
    0452262933.jpg

Exactly !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

listermint wrote: »
    Trump has no chance of re-election in 2020 so let's put that to the side.

That's ok, he had no chance of election in 2016 either, so we're definitely safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

We ALL need to fight against this. This 100% AFFECTS US ALL. I can't stand Alex Jones myself, but i 100% stand by his ability to make a fool of himself. The co-ordinated nature of his removal from various platforms should SEND A CHILL DOWN ALL OUR SPINES. And if we care in the SLIGHTEST for the freedoms that we enjoy (that were HARD fought for by our predecessors) then we ABSOLUTELY need to fight back against this CENSORSHIP and infringement on free speech that can ONLY lead down a slippery slope and be used to censor those who hold (ANY)opposing opinions going forward. FIGHT BACK against this evil. Fight back against Totalitarianism. America, nor anywhere else, is not immune from this EVIL. Subduing speech has been the principal tool of evil in the past, is the principal tool of evil in the present, and will be the principal tool of evil in the fiture, UNLESS we fight back in unity against it.

Peace out, motherfúckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Indeed, and surprise surprise, the democrats support it.....

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1026580187784404994

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

lmao at all the people claiming this is Orwellian, North-Korean,...

It's hardly the government doing it, is it ? It's private platforms with their own rules, terms and conditions,... deciding that this absolute waste of oxygen can go somewhere else with his idiotic claims. Freedom of speech in the US is only about not having the government infringe on it, that's it.
    He still has other platforms he can spout his moronic stuff on, this doesn't infringe on freedom of speech one bit.

Anyway, it's all a hoax, he hasn't been banned from those sites and he's a crisis actor. Clearly.

Advertisement