Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alex Jones content removed from Facebook, Youtube, Apple

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That could be the case but it could go the other way too. If the right in the US treat this as something they're willing to fight about, Jones's nonsense will be under more scrutiny in the press and it could create an association in the minds of independents between Republicans and Alex Jones. It's one thing to be associated with Trump but Alex Jones is a whole other level of crazy.
    "Everything is awesome when you're part of a slave team
    Take your vaccines and die, it's for the children
    Gmo kills the rats but it's good for you
    You like your iq dropping, you like to die
    The government loves you, drink your fluoride

Aaarg aargh get out of my way I want to drink diet coke"

I don't think most people have a clue about some of the stuff he comes out with. The below is a remix not an impersonation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Taytoland wrote: »
    Can you link to this being said?

Well i cant because it was taken down.  But here is a link to a report on it

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/08/06/facebook-deletes-infowars-alex-jones-hate-speech-lgbt-racist-hate-speech/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=FB_IA&utm_campaign=PN
    Thank you for that. Then he deserves it if this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What is this strange thing on After Hours where almost any subject being discussed eventually descends into....but feminists.

It's really fukcing tiresome at this stage. There's plenty of threads opining feminists, go ask someone who cares on one of those.

Wait a second here, you're telling a user to go and speak about something on another thread which is very much relevant to this one :confused:

I mean I'm sorry you find it tiresome that feminists are being called out more and more these days but there was nothing at all wrong with that user's comment. On the contrary, it was a perfectly apt one given the topic: hate speech and whether or not YouTube/Facebook/iTunes were right to remove who they've just removed.

After all, one of the most infamous cases of someone being arrested for allegedly posting hate speech on social media was a feminist: Bahar Mustafa. And much of her FB activity could absolutely also be considered hate speech, or at least should be, which is what that user's point was.

Not that Facebook (and Twitter at times) haven't been censoring and deleting content posted by feminists when they consider it to be hate speech, they have, and are doing so more and more of late for sure, which maybe the user wasn't aware of (which is understandable as it wasn't widely reported).

tl;dr

Nothing at all wrong with that user's post and so no he doesn't need to go to other threads and "ask someone who cares on one of those" as his comment is very much on topic and relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

He never said such things. I have since watched those particular segments. Jones showed a video of semi-naked drag queens dancing in front todddlers and children and then went on to criticize that behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wait a second here, you're telling a user to go and speak about something on another thread which is very much relevant to this one :confused:

I mean I'm sorry you find it tiresome that feminists are being called out more and more these days but there was nothing at all wrong with that user's comment. On the contrary, it was a perfectly apt one given the topic: hate speech and whether or not YouTube/Facebook/iTunes were right to remove who they've just removed.

After all, one of the most infamous cases of someone being arrested for allegedly posting hate speech on social media was a feminist: Bahar Mustafa. And much of her FB activity could absolutely also be considered hate speech, or at least should be, which is what that user's point was.

Not that Facebook (and Twitter at times) haven't been censoring and deleting content posted by feminists when they consider it to be hate speech, they have, and are doing so more and more of late for sure, which maybe the user wasn't aware of (which is understandable as it wasn't widely reported).

tl;dr

Nothing at all wrong with that user's post and so no he doesn't need to go to other threads and "ask someone who cares on one of those" as his comment is very much on topic and relevant here.

Like I said, there are numerous threads in AH on the evils of feminism - this is a thread about Alex Jones, not feminists. Isn't there enough to discuss on those other threads without having to drag it into this one as well?

We get it, feminism is bad mmkay. Every thread doesn't have to descend into a pissing contest on who has it worse. AGAIN.

What I find tiresome and I make no excuses for it, is this forum in particular feels the need to bash feminists at every given opportunity and here we are at it again. Does Alex Jones not generate enough divisive politics for people's liking without having to bring feminism into it as well?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

splashuum wrote: »

He never said such things. I have since watched those particular segments. Jones showed a video of semi-naked drag queens dancing in front todddlers and children and then went on to criticize that behavior.
    Ok. I was lied to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

He was always a Weekly World News or Sunday Sport type of character to me until The Sandy Hook thing, that was just wrong.
    If he was to be denied a platform it should have been then. What’s he done in the following years that these companies have simultaneously decided that they don’t want to allow him deliver his content on their platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

oh lord, keep me safe from satire. Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Like I said, there are numerous threads in AH on the evils of feminism - this is a thread about Alex Jones, not feminists. Isn't there enough to discuss on those other threads without having to drag it into this one as well?

We get it, feminism is bad mmkay. Every thread doesn't have to descend into a pissing contest on who has it worse. AGAIN.

What I find tiresome and I make no excuses for it, is this forum in particular feels the need to bash feminists at every given opportunity and here we are at it again. Does Alex Jones not generate enough divisive politics for people's liking without having to bring feminism into it as well?

I see what you're saying but what about the bankers and the politicians? They're the real criminals here.

I see what you're saying but what about the bankers and the politicians? They're the real criminals here.

I thought it was garlic importer guy? Scum of the earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

I first heard of Alex Jones in 2004 a show on sky one about conspiracies he was on the episode about 9/11 conspiracies,, if he believes in most of what he says or whether its all an act is debatable if it is an act he,s a damn good actor.

But lets say for the sake of argument that he does believe in most of what he say,s 9/11/the 2005 London bombings/ in his words were inside jobs or false flag operations- I don,t think one should be censored nor silenced if they want to believe conspiracy stuff.

Before anyone might ask me about his comments on the Sandy Hook, Im well aware of stuff he,s said on the public record about it- I don,t buy into nor believe the narrative he,s put forward over the years since 2012, some people will be aware that some of families from Sandy Hook are suing Alex Jones for defamation as is their right.

The question of whether his posts about Sandy Hook should of remained on his previous social media page or not, since there is a current defamation case over his comments , maybe if his posts about Sandy Hook wee taken down with a notice explaining why. " This post has been removed as its the matter of court defamation proceedings. " take down those posts in question but don,t remove his pages altogether.

Bottom line I strongly disagree with removing all of his social media pages its the equivalent of digital book burning, I think most people are smart enough not to buy into the various conspiracy rumours he,s put forward.

Social media & censorship once it starts where does it end & who is next to be targeted ? Besides Alex Jones some other people who have being targeted for censorship on social media recently.

Avi Yemini a right wing activist in Australia had his facebook page unpublished last week without a reason being given.

Candace Owens a right wing commentator had her twitter page temporally suspended because she mimicked tweets by Sarah Jeong swapping words to put a point across.

https://sputniknews.com/viral/201808061066991879-twitter-bans-activist-anti-black/

Cyprian Nyakundi a Kenyan blogger had his twitter page suspended recently without a direct reason being given.

https://www.kenyans.co.ke/news/31938-twitter-rejects-blogger-cyprian-nyakundi-demands-suspended-account

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

oh lord, keep me safe from satire. Amen.

I don't think you get how satire works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Double standards again, left wing fake news sites like the Palmer report are still operating as normal on facebook. Ban them all or ban none.

There is institutional bias against conservatives on social media platforms, that has nothing to do with Alex Jones, it's existed for ages.

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Double standards again, left wing fake news sites like the Palmer report are still operating as normal on facebook. Ban them all or ban none.

There is institutional bias against conservatives on social media platforms, that has nothing to do with Alex Jones, it's existed for ages.

How many Facebook violations has the Palmer Report racked up then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

How many Facebook violations has the Palmer Report racked up then?

I think you would have to be very naive to believe there isn't an entrenched bias within these companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Whatever about Alex Jones's treatment, I just wish the social media companies would enforce their own rules more consistently.

Most of them have rules about the usual stuff like hate-speech, incitement etc but there's no consistent approach to it. For some social media companies, users are allowed to continue breaking those rules if they have enough followers (aka advertising revenue). Then there are other cases where "kill all blacks" is classified as hate-speech but "kill all whites" is not.

I get that these are private companies and they can run their business in whatever way they want within the laws of the jurisdictions in which they operate but some consistency would be nice.

On Alex Jones, the man's a scumbag. He knows that he's just making stuff up and he knows that enough of his followers are dumb enough to take him seriously enough to harass innocent people. He would have been banned long ago if he wasn't so popular among the low-information types.

Are there a lot of people saying kill all whites? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think you would have to be very naive to believe there isn't an entrenched bias within these companies.

Their only bias is towards users that make them money. It explains why it took them so long to ban him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

That could be the case but it could go the other way too. If the right in the US treat this as something they're willing to fight about, Jones's nonsense will be under more scrutiny in the press and it could create an association in the minds of independents between Republicans and Alex Jones. It's one thing to be associated with Trump but Alex Jones is a whole other level of crazy.

Trump was clever enough to appear on Infowars early in his campaign, independent media as its known is extremely popular in the places that would be viewed as Trump supporting strongholds. People who feel disenfranchised and are willing to look for scapegoats and bogeymen to explain their daily struggles.
    Most conspiracy theorists have long since moved away from Alex Jones, mostly down to his support of Trump. What infowars has collected in the interim is a huge groundswell of support from Trump voters who want to view the world through the prism of the world vs American values and by extension Trump.

My feeling is that he should have been left alone where he was, now he's a martyr and saying he told everyone so.
    He's off these platforms as a result of concerted efforts by left wing groups who employ tactics every bit as unsavory as those employed by right wing groups. We live in a world of extreme views that really don't represent the masses at all but in the case of Alex Jones he has enough supporters who are now motivated to fight their corner and actually make a difference and keep Trump where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Did the palmer report call for all drag queens to be burned?

I'd agree that there's problems with fake news, but they are more prominent on the right. And Alex Jones wasn't banned for fake news. He was banned because he called for drag queens to be burned.

Their only bias is towards users that make them money. It explains why it took them so long to ban him.

Recently in the space of a few weeks there's been what I consider a coordinated effort pushing for them to be banned. That's probably why it's happened now.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/20/facebook-pledge-to-eliminate-false-information-is-itself-fake-news

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2018/07/14/facebook-wants-to-cut-down-on-misinformation-so-why-isnt-it-doing-anything-about-infowars/?utm_term=.3c58102924aa

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/11/media/facebook-infowars/index.html

• Advertisement

I don't think you get how satire works

oh good, teach me, teach me how I should understand things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You're missing the point.........

This thread is about what has happened to Alex Jones, not just about him as a person (who I see as insincere moron just for the record).

Any example of hate speech posted on social media is relevant to the topic. From ANTIFA to white supremacists. No individual or group should get immunity. Again, just because you're sick of feminists being criticized doesn't mean users shouldn't be allowed to mention them.

Imagine if a user had cited an example of an MRA group posting sickening hate speech against women on Facebook, asking why they haven't been removed for it, and then someone came on and told them to go post on other threads as they were sick of MRAs being spoken about in a negative way. It would ridiculous, right? Well so is what you're suggesting.

You're missing the point.

This thread is about what has happened to Alex Jones, not just about him as a person.

Any example of hate speech is relevant to the topic. From ANTIFA to white supremacists. No individual or group should get immunity. Again, just because you're sick of feminists being criticized doesn't mean users shouldn't be allowed to mention them.

Imagine if a user had cited an example of an MRA group posting sickening hate speech against women on Facebook, asking why they haven't been removed for it, and then someone came on and told them to go post on other threads as they were sick of MRAs being spoken about in a negative way. It would ridiculous, right? Well so is what you're suggesting.
    ah come off it, you can't bring up similar examples when having a discussion.

If someone cries double standards, they should at least be able to show an equitable standard in the first place.

Has the Palmer report accused any mass shooting victims of lying?
    Has the Palmer report called for drag queens to burn in hell?
    Has the Palmer report been ever been sued for defamation?

Has the Palmer report used dehumanizing language to describe people such as transgenders, Muslims and immigrants that directly violates Facebook's hate speech policies?

If so, please link and then we can discuss double standards.

Has the Palmer report used dehumanizing language to describe people such as transgenders, Muslims and immigrants that directly violates Facebook's hate speech policies?

They do it to Trump supporters all the time, they're definitely not a beacon of good will

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/946176919174868998

Wouldn't happen, as there aren't numerous threads about MRAs on AH, only feminists. THAT'S my point.

Tell you what, discuss feminism again to your heart's content. I'm sure there's loads of terrible feminist stuff that hasn't been covered ad nauseum yet. I wouldn't want to be accused of censorship on this of all threads. Knock yerself out!

They do it to Trump supporters all the time, they're definitely not a beacon of good will

How does that violate a hate speech policy?

I never said they were. However, sticking to the point, are you aware of any similarities between the Palmer Report and Alex Jones on Facebook which displays the double standards previously mentioned?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

If someone cries double standards, they should at least be able to show an equitable standard in the first place.

Has the Palmer report accused any mass shooting victims of lying?
    Has the Palmer report called for drag queens to burn in hell?
    Has the Palmer report been ever been sued for defamation?

If so, please link and then we can discuss double standards.

I don't know anything about the Palmer Report. Never heard of t.

Here's a few:
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/twitter-flip-flops-in-ben-shapiros-double-standard-experiment-over-obscene-rosie-odonnell-tweets

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/insincere-outrage/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fcc-chairman-twitter-net-neutrality_us_5a1dc1c6e4b04abdc6146d48

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/389858-conservatives-sees-double-standard-on-roseanne-cite-olbermann-joy-reid

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/milo-yiannopoulos-banned-from-twitter-which-highlights-double-standards-of-the-platform/news-story/5245dd1c1cf06671f254d0fd9472ed11

Advertisement