Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alex Jones content removed from Facebook, Youtube, Apple

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

its a shame, he was bat**** crazy but funny as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to say I'm not a fan of no platforming. Irrespective of how abhorrent you may find someone's opinions its better to leave them in the open and open to public scrutiny and ridicule. As was mentioned in another thread its shït like this that will get the Orange Buffoon reelected in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

He's already been elected once thanks to loons like this.
    Carrying him on your platform is an implicit endorsement of him.

vetinari wrote: »
    He's already been elected once thanks to loons like this.
    Carrying him on your platform is an implicit endorsement of him.

No it isn't and I wish others on the left would realise this.

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭flookdgates

P_1 wrote: »
    Have to say I'm not a fan of no platforming. Irrespective of how abhorrent you may find someone's opinions.

How do you feel about Boards' trigger happy attitude to bans? I think someone did the calculations once and the number of banned users is in the tens of thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,047 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No it isn't and I wish others on the left would realise this.

Yes it is. When you have rules against hate speech, and you allow his sh1t you are saying it is not hate speech, that it is valid discourse.

Yes it is. When you have rules against hate speech, and you allow his sh1t you are saying it is not hate speech, that it is valid discourse.

I guess we differ philosophically as to how hate speech is dealt with. Personally I think it's better to have it out in the open, mocked and ridiculed lest we have something of a Streisland Effect happening and it become a more ingrained attitude among wider society. I'm guessing you feel that having it out in the open would make it more ingrained among wider society?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Have to say I'm not a fan of no platforming. Irrespective of how abhorrent you may find someone's opinions its better to leave them in the open and open to public scrutiny and ridicule. As was mentioned in another thread its shït like this that will get the Orange Buffoon reelected in 2020.

Ultimately the platforms are privately owned and as such it's their call.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

How do you feel about Boards' trigger happy attitude to bans? I think someone did the calculations once and the number of banned users is in the tens of thousands.

Banned accounts, maybe. Banned users, considerably less.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ultimately the platforms are privately owned and as such it's their call.

Is this a good thing for freedom of speech?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Never heard of him before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fann Linn wrote:

Save yourself the time and energy, and don't bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Fann Linn wrote: »

Best described as free range mental ilness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Is this a good thing for freedom of speech?

I couldn't really care tbh. If a private company doesn't want to host his content that's their call and frankly it's none of my business. You have an issue with it then complain to the company or complain with your wallet and don't use their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The gas thing about Alex Jones is that it's all a performance. He knows that the horrible things he's saying are lies, he knows that it's all nonsense but his audience eats it all up, he sells snake-oil food supplements that claim they'll improve your IQ and he's become a multi-millionaire off the back of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The gas thing about Alex Jones is that it's all a performance. He knows that the horrible things he's saying are lies, he knows that it's all nonsense but his audience eats it all up, he sells snake-oil food supplements that claim they'll improve your IQ and he's become a multi-millionaire off the back of it all.

I don’t think it’s all an act, the lughts are on but there’s no one home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ipso wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s all an act, the lughts are on but there’s no one home.

It’s either an incredibly clever act to all supplements or he’s insane enough to believe the nonsense he spouts to sell supplements. Either way he’s a supplement salesman primarily.

I honestly think it’s an act. It’s a classic snake oil salesmen act.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Is he the bass player in Blur?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Brian? wrote: »
    It’s either an incredibly clever act to all supplements or he’s insane enough to believe the nonsense he spouts to sell supplements. Either way he’s a supplement salesman primarily.

I honestly think it’s an act. It’s a classic snake oil salesmen act.

It's an act, his lawyer called it "a performance art" to try and stop his ex from stopping him seeing his kids because he's bat sh!t.

Either way I don't agree with censoring but privately owned comps is can do what they like

I miss when all the conspiracy theory people were into UFOs, aliens and shapeshifters rather than imaginary pizza paedophiles.

At least we still have David Icke I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Deserved for their stance on Sandy Hook alone.

Yer man Paul Watson will never leave his mam's house at this rate now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Read up on the effect Alex Jones' 'freedom of speech' has had on people like the parents of the little kids murdered at Sandy Hook, and explain how his right to be become a millionaire by making up scurrilous lies is more important than their right to live in their own homes or visit their child's f*cking grave.
    De La Rosa and Leonard Pozner have moved seven times since their son was killed in a school shooting in an effort to avoid the continuous death threats and other harassment. They now live hundreds of miles from Noah's grave.

“I would love to go see my son’s grave and I don’t get to do that," De La Rosa told The Times.

https://www.bustle.com/p/these-sandy-hook-parents-cant-even-visit-their-sons-grave-because-of-harassment-9958926

Alex Jones is a poisonous wart and his defenders are morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Don't like him, what little I have listened to. Or Stefan Molyneaux. Or people of that ilk. If only because they are completely predictable and boring. Deplatforming Jones, however, is insidious. The amount of violence and crude banality and mindless loopiness that these platforms host is insane - so it's not a righteous reaction to hate speech, or anything like it. It is simply the elimination of popular 'opposition' channels. Censorship. Propaganda.
    Silicon valley - which is a very, very weird place under the covers - will decide from now on what people are allowed to hear. To even hear. That's dangerous. But at least if people know now there is active technocratic censorship and permitted thought, maybe that will be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I couldn't really care tbh. If a private company doesn't want to host his content that's their call and frankly it's none of my business. You have an issue with it then complain to the company or complain with your wallet and don't use their services.

The thing is it is not *a* private company. The whole Silicon Valley (which controls a large part of what content people see and access) seems to be banning him except from Twitter (for now).

Now I never heard of the guy before and won’t comment on him specifically. But when you have a couple of corporations which collectively have the power to decide who has access to a large audience and start collectively using that power to all censor the same voices, in my view it is a very dangerous path. I understand those are private entities who can decide what to include or not on their platforms, but being fair and balanced with these things is very hard as hate speech can be a matter of opinion and it is arguably easy to point at a lot of other equally hateful speech on those platforms which is not being banned. They could therefore eventually - and possibly rightly - appear as using hate speech as an excuse to censor content based on their political agenda (which they have for the most part managed to avoid for now: everyone knows there is a strong libertarian/liberal political bias in these companies but there hasn’t been very widespread criticism of this influencing access to the platform to date).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

soups05 wrote: »
    its a shame, he was bat**** crazy but funny as hell.

I'd imagine the parents of the Sandy hook kids didn't think so. Didn't they receive threats from people as a result of his show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

He'll be missed for the laugh if anything else always thought he had an uncanny resemblance physically and mentally to that other nutjob,Fedsmoker,who roams the Midwest american towns in his mad max style mobile taking down one dirty cop at a time,same mental issues I would suspect

If you want a proper conspiracy theory get your teeth stuck in the Bill Hicks didn't die and is actually Alex Jones one - https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d7evqv/digging-deep-into-the-only-conspiracy-alex-jones-doesnt-like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

An utterly depraved and disgusting individual. I'm disappointed that Facebook, Youtube and Apple took so long to do this but better late than never I suppose.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Is he the bass player in Blur?

No, Thats Alex James.

This is the guy who sang Walking in the Air

• Advertisement

No, Thats Alex James.

This is the guy who sang Walking in the Air

No, that's Aled Jones.

This is the Australian former Formula One driver.

Advertisement