Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Confirmed: Picard season 4 teaser just dropped !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The only one I can think of that isn’t is Black Mirror, it’s more like a barely connected series of films though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Expanse was able to do slower middle episodes without it feeling like they were just killing time.

But that probably has the advantage of having the story laid out by a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm perfectly fine with filler episodes, provided they're used to at least lend their time to character development. TNG benefitted from quite well established characters as a result of character-centric filler episodes, it all pays off as time goes by. But maybe that's the problem, in this world of new show today, cancelled tomorrow, studios can't guarantee the show will survive so can't afford to drop smaller character focused Episodes? Really sad if so.

A return to episodic storytelling in SNW was such a welcome treat after enduring Discovery squandering multiple seasons with writing that made even generic fan-fic look almost Shakespearean in comparison.

Arcs can work brilliantly too as we all know, but you need knowledgeable, skilled writing teams to make them work.

• Advertisement

One of the best Enterprise episodes had fantastic character development: Shuttlepod One

DS9 The Visitor is a pure bottle show too

The only episode of Discovery, which I really liked was a filler show about the cyborg bridge officer, total filler but great character development (for once, and then they kill her)

One of the issues with massively truncated seasons is you can lose any peripheral character development.

No more Rom, Garak, Barclay, or such

The difference is DS9, TNG and SNW by their very nature don't have "filler" episodes because every episode is self contained. DS9 when it went "arc" had some shockers like the bloody Vic Fontaine episode we got in the middle of the war.

Filler episodes are like Lost introducing some Black Smoke monster and then having 9 episodes of people painting seashells and braiding hair before you see the thing again.

Picard was fekin awful for it. Last 2 seasons of Discovery are as bad.

They absolutely had filler bottle episodes. Where budget was completely stripped back and some B-script was sent out.

They had to make 26 episodes so there were plenty of episodes which were just terrible greenlit to fill out the season

Our definitions of what a filler episode is must differ, because I don't know how anyone could say TNG and DS9 didn't have filler episodes. They absolutely did, but as I said earlier, they used them for character development (a wholly alien concept to the writing team for Discovery.) As a result, we got much loved characters that have endured for DECADES. Will people be talking about Burnham and Co in 30 years time? Hard to imagine they will, certainly not in any deep way.

DS9 took the character development to frankly provocative levels, and in the Star Trek franchise, has yet to be rivaled. Imagine Garak, Quark, Dukat, Weyoun, Martok and many others all not even being the stars of the show. Crazy to think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Community kinda embraced the filler, bottle episodes, albeit lampshading the F outta it at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,831 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I will forever be angry about waiting with great anticipation for a new Lost episode, and then being served up the back story of Jack's tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ugh, no thanks. After pissing away two seasons of Picard, we finally got a decent final season for the character. It's time to leave it be now. Also, Movie Picard never really held a candle to TNG Picard anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bit of a clickbait article cos all Stewart said was that yes, he'd like to do one more movie. Might as well ask if someone might like some more chocolate. I'm sure Stewart would; probably feeling a bit nostalgic himself for finally working with the TNG cast again after all these years. But he'd have absolutely no say or clout to make it happen.

Love Stewartbut he is the reason for action Picard of the films Vs TNG

And the Argo scene was him too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

He might be playing Paramount and Marvel off each other because I imagine Marvel are keen to get him back playing Professor Charles Xavier and there's only so much he can do in his health.

For one reason or another I really took an age to finish this - but not through a lack of interest. Just life and things like Strange New Worlds kept overriding my time to watch this.

The last episode was absolute bollix, but. But but but. Ds9 are my crew but I still shed a little tear all the same. No noble sacrifices, no pompous speeches: just an old group of friends having one last adventure, that little card game at the end possibly the most satisfying way to quietly close the door on the story of TNG. We leave them live our their lives, onward we go into the future.

Knowing the plot before I started, I did spot the various hints about the final Big Bad so the suddenness didn't hit me as hard as others. And as to the crew itself - why oh why couldn't this have been the version of Picard we got instead? On balance I cooled on Worf being the unintentional comic relief - and the lack of mention of Jadzia rubbed me up the wrong way - but everyone else got their moment in the spotlight. While Patrick Stewart absolutely knocked this one out of the park - this was a fabulous send off.

But having taken 2 godawful seasons to get here was insane; I hope word of mouth at least pulled others back like myself, those burned by the garbage fire of Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Just watched season 2 and 3 over the last few days, tried to watch season 2 a few times but couldn’t get through it.

all in all I could of just watched the end of episode 9 and episode 10 in season 3 and been done with the rest.

brought a tear to my eye seeing the enterprise D again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭corkie

With the strikes, are articles like the above going to appear just for clicks and to fill content on the sites?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

Pretty much. I’m noticing a lot of fairly pointless articles about Trek-lore we’ve known about for years crop up on my feed from the likes of Screen Rant. There’s going to be more if this for the foreseeible.

It does raise an interesting idea of TNG continuing late into DS9s run. Would we have gotten a couple of Dominion War arcs in the late seasons? Would have been interesting to see.

• Advertisement

Said it before but It's remarkable though how Season 3 single handedly restored the reputation and enthusiasm for this series - to the extent people eagerly talk spin offs and suchlike. The third season had its flaws, but you'd pray the Kurtzman hivemind sees this, Lower Decks, and understands what happens when people who "get" Trek run the shows.

There's a tonne of clickbait but it only exists cos of that goodwill restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't think season 3 was all *that* good? It's a lot better than season 1 and 2 for sure. I think most of the positive reaction (including my own) came from surprise that it wasn't as terrible as expected. Remove the original TNG cast and the nostalgia elements and you still have a couple of really decent episodes mid way but also a lot of really terrible stuff. Did I enjoy it on the whole? Yes. Would I like to see a 4th season or spinoff without the TNG cast? Not particularly.

I'd broadly agree with this. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I'd gone in with expectations on the floor. It was such an enjoyable watch because it felt, for the first time in a LONG time, the TNG characters were being written for by people who really knew them. It was an unashamedly obvious nostalgia fest, but I didn't care, it was a proper, final sendoff for the charaters we grew up with.

Strip all that away, and, well, there wasn't much left we haven't seen done a million times already. Same show with unfamiliar characters wouldn't have hit the same notes at all.

As I said, I enjoyed every minute of the season from start to end....but would I like to see more of the same? Absolutely not, it's done, there's nothing left for it to give, leave it be now.

Strip anything back far enough and all fiction has been done before. I'm not saying it was top tier Trek, but there's a lot to be said about something "just" being entertaining, hitting all the right notes with a degree of enthusiasm and flourish. It's a concept that has become very lost in the mix of this era of Streaming TV - somehow requiring itself to always have an air of prestige, or it to be very serious drama. No fun here please, we're trying to be HBO. Picard Season 3 was as dumb as rocks at times, but it was also a lot of fun - and fun whose foundation was "getting" Star Trek and the TNG cast enough to given them a good Last Hurrah.

So I'm not surprised that fans responded well to that, and clamour for "Star Trek: Legacy" grew; the seeds showed enough promise that it's entirely likely this won't be the last we've seen of Terry Matalas helming Trek - no more than I think Mike McMahan has probably got an automatic green-light for any Trek he has in mind next.

I'd compare Picard Season 3 with something very genetically similar: I watched Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny; and it was tired, utterly & completely redundant and just a big half-ássed shoulder shrug of a film; I never once got a sense anyone making the thing cared a jot about signing off Indy's story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

I had similar reservations about DS9 back in the day. Trek without the Enterprise and her crew?! Nah! In the end, it grew to love DS9 too.

I believe that a spin-off with the Enterprise F could work, with the caviat of it *being good*. Casting the likes of Capt. Shaw, Jack Crusher & LaForge Jr. just went to show that they can get their act together when they choose to. (or most likely when Kurtzman is kept far enough away). I'm already sold on the idea of a "ST:Legacy" show if they can keep the quality of Picard S3 going. Even more so if they can drop Raffi from the crew. I don't mind Raffi as much, it's just that I was already kind of sick of her by S1, and her only saving grace in S3 was facilitating Worf's return. Cast a better first officer for Seven...or even better, a "Commander Shaw" who happens to be Cpt. Shaw's twin or something and has the same personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

The premise of season three was one last outing for the crew so saying if you remove them it doesn't work as well is obvious.

It would be like making new installments if a once beloved franchise and not having the three main characters interact on screen together ever.

Of course, nothing's happening either way til the Strikes are over, and it'll be anyone's guess what gets canned and what doesn't.

I'd like to see Legacy, but goes without saying we want it to be good - but with Strange New Worlds filling gap of episodic adventures I'd presume Legacy's remit would be something more serialised. And therein lies the risk of the show losing its way a little. SNW's secret sauce has been episodic stories that insisted the characters got an outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Post edited by eadrom on

Season 1 also had a bunch of 7 or Rios spinoff talk which only ramped up when Rio's got the captains chair.

Then season 2 destroyed everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Finally got around to watching season 3 and overall I really enjoyed it. I had watched season one when it came out initially and found it a real struggle to make it to the end of the season, it was poor, no two ways about it. Didnt even bother with season 2, but a friend told me season 3 was a big improvement so I gave it a go.........and Im glad I did. I found myself looking forward to the next episode, which is a good sign. The production values were very high, It looks like every episode had the budget of a feature length film. The old Next Gen magic was there, and thats most of the battle really. A couple of things I felt worked against it was the way Picard had become somewhat Mawkish, Riker too, it was like the writers kind of betrayed who those characters were. Worf was a delight but the decision to make 7 of 9 a lesbian........That seemed like pandering to the woke mob, the crow barring in of a gay character seems like something to check off a list. The best character in the whole show though, was Captain Shaw, he was an absolute hoot and I found myself really missing him anytime he wasnt on screen. His cynicism was refreshing and I felt the producers missed a trick by knocking him off. I definitely would've welcomed a Captain Shaw spin off show.

Advertisement