Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

RLM the same lads who would have ripped Discovery to sht if someone suggested that the "red door" was anything other than nonsense misdirection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

The cyborg in Discovery had red eyes when she was possessed too. I think the changelings just put people on a DS9 track and they went wild with Pah Wraith speculation. Out of the primary choices of red, blue, or green for eye glow green was out because of Scottish ghost multi-generational dalliances, blue reads more good than bad, so that just leaves red - the generic evil eye glow.

A mystery with a drip of clues only works if the clues are actually clues.

It can't just be random sht that are not only not clues but are the opposite. Sorry but ruling out green because of the sex candle and blue because it means "good" is absolute horsesht.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I guess when you put it that way, avoiding green was a good idea to avoid an incest situation.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

They brought it up as something that was being speculated online. I think Mike was a little dubious on it being a definite reference but it was possible. Given the other First Contact references around Jack it's definitely possible as an intentional reference.

Everything was being speculated online. Almost literally everything.

The only real indication it was the Borg was a mistake in the German subtitles.

Yes, but some of the speculation happened to be right. And given all the small references all over Picard season three the red door being intentional isn't beyond the realm of possibility. It was the English audio description subtitles on P+ that named the voices in episode four.

Gonna spoiler this one

Random people or people it was later revealed had been specifically altered for him to be able to control?

Ya later shown in e9 out of 10. The exact definition of the mystery box situation this conversation is about.

Nobody said it was not explained. It was said it was badly explained at the last minute. KurtzTrek Disco 101 stuff.

• Advertisement

What do you mean by mystery box? I'm not following your train of thought with what I think the term means.

It's the setting up of a mystery early on which is then drip fed to the audience using vague clues, misdirection or just pure nonsense.

Lost was the ultimate template of everything that is wrong with the idea but yet it has been copied by every PIC and DIS season.

Think faceless Borg (PIC2), the burn (DIS3), the vision (PIC1) and Jacks visions in PIC3.

I see where you're coming from now but I still don't see it that way. Questions were brought up and answered pretty quickly (i.e. within a few episodes) besides a couple of season long ones. I think the problem more lies with it's a good six episode season stretched out to ten. If it was a true rapid fire mystery box all the questions would have been left to the end.

The mysteries were exactly the same length or longer than the Discovery ones or the PIC 1/2 ones.

I haven't watched season one or two since they released, and probably never will again, but the questions seemed to be answered a lot quicker this time around. Some of the early ones like why did Crusher leave? Who are Jack's parents? Who is Raffi's handler? Who are the people chasing Beverly and Jack? They were all answered within three episodes, I think, and then further questions were built onto the answers.

Some were but the big 2 about why Jack was being hunted and by who wasn't answered until e9

Ya I know. It's a season long story based on a universe destroying mystery done just like all the other KurtzTrek shows.

So how would you have a season long story without setting it up something in the first episode that wouldn't be resolved until near the end?

Many shows have stories where you know who the bad guys are from the start. Many also don't have universe ending stories.

We knew who the bad guys were in Mando and Andor. No big mystery in the plots there either.

It only seems to be KurtzTrek that's obsessed with these mysteries.

• Advertisement

I don't think this story was universe ending. Definitely Federation ending but after that I'm not so sure. Maybe my view is different because I knew who the bad guys were from episode four.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tbf, universe ending is slight hyperbole, most of the stories kept it galaxy ending 🙂

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

After season 1 and everything I heard about season 2 I almost didn't watch season 3... but I am really glad I did. It was very good, in many ways everything I always wanted a TNG revival to be. I have some nitpicks of course - the overly SW-inspired finale, Worf being the butt of too many jokes, the lack of Ent-E, some of the silly plotting, Raffi - but I consider them relatively minor. The important thing is it felt like a continuation of the TNG era and gave the crew the one last adventure and send-off they deserved after the disaster that was Nemesis.

If you haven't seen season 2 I really envy you. Ide give anything to not have seen the absolutely worst season of a show I have ever watched.

It's mind-blowingly terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,956 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This season included loads of random poorly thought out plot contrivances, idiotic leaps of logic, and borderline-mystical mysteries similar to previous seasons - BUT more importantly, this season had characters, and character interactions that were actually worth watching and paid sufficient homage to the series we knew from 30 years ago. That's what we all enjoyed, and that's what kept us all engaged.

They really didn't actually need half the plot elements they horsed in there... tbh I think this writers room just doesn't have faith in its own ability to keep the story going with more basic more plausible plot elements and character work - understandable based on previous seasons, but actually they did a good enough job with the important stuff that they could have gotten away with a stronger simplified story, letting the characters breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm a bit confused with the reappearance of Q. I thought he was dead?

Also Data. It seems he can't die and ages now?!

Given that Q exists out of time it was an absolutely stupid plot to give him this mystery death. I know Q can kill each other but whatever was happening to Q (space dementia or something by the look of it) in PIC 2 was just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m enjoying the hell out of this season but at the same time I’m sad that this is the last time the Next Generation will all be together.

I’m confused by the involvement of the Borg though. Isn’t Agnes in control now? I thought in the final episode of season 2 that she said she was taking them in a new direction?

Although I was confused as to how she could have been the Queen since the 2020s while Alice Krueger was wreaking havoc across the universe.

Since the mention of Starfleet ships being networked I knew Picard and the gang would leave the Titan and get an Enterprise from the museum but I thought it would be the E or the A although I suspected the E because it was shown in that scene.

Would never in a million years have guessed it would be the D.

The reunions of season three and the return of the D have also highlighted how much of a cock up the Star Wars sequels were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m enjoying the helm out of this season but at the same time I’m sad that this is the last time the Next Generation will all be together.

I’m confused by the involvement of the Borg though. Isn’t Agnes in control now? I thought in the final episode of season 2 that she said she was taking them in a new direction?

Although I was confused as to how she could have been the Queen since the 2020s while Alice Krueger was wreaking havoc across the universe.

Since the mention of Starfleet ships being networked I knew Picard and the gang would leave the Titan and get an Enterprise from the museum but I thought it would be the E or the A although I suspected the E because it was shown in that scene.

Would never in a million years have guessed it would be the D.

The reunions of season three and the return of the D have also highlighted how much of a cock up the Star Wars sequels were.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Queen Jurati was created from a tangential timeline, leaving the original queen in place still. She did take some borg with her, splitting the collective. The original queen was still there since Voyager messed her up, and that's what you see in season 3.

Advertisement